Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Blue Screen Of Death - Xp Sp3, Tiscali And Bit Defender?

Options

Hi guys,

I hope you can help.

I currently have a problem with my Dad's PC, which he desperately needs for his business.

It's blue screening basically. The screen itself is black with blue blocks on. The blue blocks look like they are words that have been made unrecognisable by being oversided and distorted.

I can't seem to pin down why this is happening.

The PC recently went into a shop for hardware repair because the power supply and system board were both blown. These (and its two hard drives) were replaced by the shop and at the same time, they installed a new version of Windows XP Service Pack 3 - it had previously been running XP Service Pack 2.

Since then, we have had trouble with it blue screening. It has been back to the shop and they have been unable to recreate the problem with diagnostic sfw (they claim all the hdw checked out ok). The only thing they thought it might be was the Bit Defender anti-virus sfw on the machine which they removed. They suggested that we take the machine back home and see if it ran ok with only the keyboard and mouse attached - if it did not blue screen then, it could be assumed to be a problem was with one of the external devices my dad had attached at home.

This is where it starts to get a little unclear as to what the problem is.

We did the following tests:

1. We ran the PC at home with all the devices attached but without Bit Defender (which the shop had removed) and it shortly blue screened.

2. We then ran the PC with all external devices removed - except the monitor, keyboard and mouse. The PC ran fine, and although we opened all sorts of apps etc. on top of each other, it did not blue screen at all.

3. We then connected the ADSL USB modem (but with the actual telephone connector removed from the wall socket as otherwise the PC would be connected to the web with no anti-virus sfw). Again the PC ran absolutely fine and didn't blue screen at all. We accessed Internet Explorer and Outlook Express off line without any problems at all.

4. We then re-connected the phone line and went onto the web to download Bit Defender 10 to the PC. This went fine but when my dad ran a virus scan with Bit Defender the PC once again blue screened.

5. The drivers for the ADSL modem come packaged with the software for his service provider 'Tiscali'. We uninstalled this and ran the virus scan again, this time however, it didn't blue screen!

So basically, it started to blue screen once Bit Defender had been installed and its virus scan was run. However, it also blue screened before when had the devices attached but didn't have Bit Defender installed.

It appears that during its virus scan, Bit Defender tries to access the web. When we uninstalled the Tiscali service provider software, the virus scan no longer caused the PC to blue screen.

Is anyone aware of conflict issues between Tiscali software and Bit Defender or possibly between XP Service Pack 3 and Bit Defender or even Tiscali and XP Service Pack 3?

If anyone has any help on this or any other ideas on what the problem might be, it would be very much appreciated.

Thank you very much.

Warmest regards,

Dan : )

Comments

• Hi guys,

I hope you can help.

I currently have a problem with my Dad's PC, which he desperately needs for his business.

It's blue screening basically. The screen itself is black with blue blocks on. The blue blocks look like they are words that have been made unrecognisable by being oversided and distorted.

I can't seem to pin down why this is happening.

The PC recently went into a shop for hardware repair because the power supply and system board were both blown. These (and its two hard drives) were replaced by the shop and at the same time, they installed a new version of Windows XP Service Pack 3 - it had previously been running XP Service Pack 2.

Since then, we have had trouble with it blue screening. It has been back to the shop and they have been unable to recreate the problem with diagnostic sfw (they claim all the hdw checked out ok). The only thing they thought it might be was the Bit Defender anti-virus sfw on the machine which they removed. They suggested that we take the machine back home and see if it ran ok with only the keyboard and mouse attached - if it did not blue screen then, it could be assumed to be a problem was with one of the external devices my dad had attached at home.

This is where it starts to get a little unclear as to what the problem is.

We did the following tests:

1. We ran the PC at home with all the devices attached but without Bit Defender (which the shop had removed) and it shortly blue screened.

2. We then ran the PC with all external devices removed - except the monitor, keyboard and mouse. The PC ran fine, and although we opened all sorts of apps etc. on top of each other, it did not blue screen at all.

3. We then connected the ADSL USB modem (but with the actual telephone connector removed from the wall socket as otherwise the PC would be connected to the web with no anti-virus sfw). Again the PC ran absolutely fine and didn't blue screen at all. We accessed Internet Explorer and Outlook Express off line without any problems at all.

4. We then re-connected the phone line and went onto the web to download Bit Defender 10 to the PC. This went fine but when my dad ran a virus scan with Bit Defender the PC once again blue screened.

5. The drivers for the ADSL modem come packaged with the software for his service provider 'Tiscali'. We uninstalled this and ran the virus scan again, this time however, it didn't blue screen!

So basically, it started to blue screen once Bit Defender had been installed and its virus scan was run. However, it also blue screened before when had the devices attached but didn't have Bit Defender installed.

It appears that during its virus scan, Bit Defender tries to access the web. When we uninstalled the Tiscali service provider software, the virus scan no longer caused the PC to blue screen.

Is anyone aware of conflict issues between Tiscali software and Bit Defender or possibly between XP Service Pack 3 and Bit Defender or even Tiscali and XP Service Pack 3?

If anyone has any help on this or any other ideas on what the problem might be, it would be very much appreciated.

Thank you very much.

Warmest regards,

Dan : )

I'm not aware of conflicts with speed touch st300 usb modem sw and bd,there is a thompson un branded version of the modem sw available for download for speeds upto 8mb or get tiscrapi to send you a free router out, those st300 usb modems are not the best thing, also if you use a lot of usb connected devices at the same time, it maybe a shortage of bandwidth available on the usb bus causing blusecreens, is you pc set to restart at bluescreen or not, if you set it not to restart then you can collect the error message it produces and google it at least that way you may get a clearer idea of what is causing this to occur

• Alex Stanciu
    Options

Hello theMan,

We need to have a look on some files that are automatically created when the Blue Screen error occurs, to see if this issue is related to BitDefender or not. For start, browse to the next location from your system : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump and if there are any reports listed in that folder, archive them, upload the archive on http://www.sendspace.com/, then post here the download link .

If you don't find any files in that location, as Davey said, you need to set your computer to save these logs. Here is what you have to do :

1. Open Control Panel and then click on System .

2. The "System Properties" window will be displayed.

3. Click on the Advanced tab then, under "Startup and recovery", click on the "Settings" button.

4. Under "Write debugging information" choose "Small memory dump (64 KB)" then click on Ok (you will see that the location under "Small dump directory" will automatically change to "%SystemRoot%\Minidump" which is the equivalent of C:\WINDOWS\Minidump) .

post-24948-1260269690_thumb.jpg

Now, if your computer will crash again with Blue screen error, you should find the .dmp files in the mentioned location : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump . Archive them, upload the archive, then post here the download link .

Thank you.