Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Real-time Protection Prevents Programs From Closing Properly

Options

When I turn Real-time protection on, I encounter many error messages when I try to close programs. For example, if I open Notepad with Real-time protection on, and I attempt to close the Notepad window, it will close and then Windows gives me an error that says the program has stopped working, which I can simply ignore because I want it to stop working. In a nutshell, Real-time protection is interfering with the way applications close themselves, making Windows believe that the program has stopped responding and closed itself rather than the user closing it. When I start up my computer, I get bombarded with Windows error message when all the background applications close themselves. It seems that with Real-time protection on, whenever an application closes, Windows believes that it has stopped working and thinks it is necessary to permanently notify me of this ...

When Real-time protection is permanently off, I can freely close applications and background applications can close themselves without Windows giving me an error message. This problem started earlier today, most probably after the BitDefender update. Is there any way to fix this? I did not change any settings in BitDefender before this occurred.

Windows 7 Home Edition running BitDefender 2010 Antivirus.

Three images are attached.

1. Shows 3 notepad windows, RTP on.

2. Shows 2 notepad windows, RTP on, with 2 Windows error messages.

3. Shows no notepad windows, RTP off, with no error messages.

I hope I explained everything as simply as possible to makes this problem understandable and manageable.

Comments

• dave r
    edited December 2009
    Options
    When I turn Real-time protection on, I encounter many error messages when I try to close programs. For example, if I open Notepad with Real-time protection on, and I attempt to close the Notepad window, it will close and then Windows gives me an error that says the program has stopped working, which I can simply ignore because I want it to stop working. In a nutshell, Real-time protection is interfering with the way applications close themselves, making Windows believe that the program has stopped responding and closed itself rather than the user closing it. When I start up my computer, I get bombarded with Windows error message when all the background applications close themselves. It seems that with Real-time protection on, whenever an application closes, Windows believes that it has stopped working and thinks it is necessary to permanently notify me of this ...

When Real-time protection is permanently off, I can freely close applications and background applications can close themselves without Windows giving me an error message. This problem started earlier today, most probably after the BitDefender update. Is there any way to fix this? I did not change any settings in BitDefender before this occurred.

I hope I explained everything as simply as possible to makes this problem understandable and manageable.

mmm, i don't know if this connected, but i noticed that x-fire, had not stopped properly, the x fire tray icon had disappeared,and also the x fire process(in win task man) but by chance i heard the sound it makes when someone in your friends list logs on to x-fire, the first time i just checked my sys tray,and task man, nothing running to indicate x-fire was connected, a short time later i heard it again, so i checked my net connections and it revealed that x-fire was connected, and running? strange very strange,btw i'm running xpsp2 x32bit with bdis2010 x32 bit,build 13.0.16 not the latest build,

• Alex Stanciu
    Options

Hello FriendlyFire,

When you will receive the same error again, please follow the steps bellow :

1. Open My Computer.

2. Browse to

C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2010

- considering that BitDefender was installed on the default C partition

3. Doubleclick on the supporttool.exe file .(in case you have Windows Vista or Windows 7, right click on the the supporttool.exe file and choose "Run as administrator" )

4. Click on Next, wait a few minutes for the progress bar to complete and then click on Finish .

5. Go to the desktop, upload the report on http://www.sendspace.com/ then send me a PM with the download link or reply to our email with the report attached .

After that, if possible try to disable the BitDefender Active Control option and let us know if the same issue occurs after that. Here is what you have to do :

1. Open BitDefender, click on the Settings button, choose the the Expert Mode then click on Ok. After that, click on the Antivirus module and under the Shield tab click on the Advanced Settings button .

2. The BitDefender Active Virus Control Settings window should be displayed. Here, uncheck "Active Virus Control is enabled" , in order to disable this option then click on Ok.

3. Reboot your computer.

We are looking forward to your reply.

Thank you.

• When I turn Real-time protection on, I encounter many error messages when I try to close programs. For example, if I open Notepad with Real-time protection on, and I attempt to close the Notepad window, it will close and then Windows gives me an error that says the program has stopped working, which I can simply ignore because I want it to stop working. In a nutshell, Real-time protection is interfering with the way applications close themselves, making Windows believe that the program has stopped responding and closed itself rather than the user closing it. When I start up my computer, I get bombarded with Windows error message when all the background applications close themselves. It seems that with Real-time protection on, whenever an application closes, Windows believes that it has stopped working and thinks it is necessary to permanently notify me of this ...

Hi FriendlyFire,

You can disable Active Virus Control only without stopping Real Time Protection, because it seems that problem is in AVC.

You can disable AVC from Advanced button from Real Time Protection settings in Antivirus options section.

Cheers!

• Hi FriendlyFire,

You can disable Active Virus Control only without stopping Real Time Protection, because it seems that problem is in AVC.

You can disable AVC from Advanced button from Real Time Protection settings in Antivirus options section.

Cheers!

This is a temporary solution until source of the problem is figured out.

• When I turn Real-time protection on, I encounter many error messages when I try to close programs. For example, if I open Notepad with Real-time protection on, and I attempt to close the Notepad window, it will close and then Windows gives me an error that says the program has stopped working, which I can simply ignore because I want it to stop working. In a nutshell, Real-time protection is interfering with the way applications close themselves, making Windows believe that the program has stopped responding and closed itself rather than the user closing it. When I start up my computer, I get bombarded with Windows error message when all the background applications close themselves. It seems that with Real-time protection on, whenever an application closes, Windows believes that it has stopped working and thinks it is necessary to permanently notify me of this ...

Hi FriendlyFire,

I think there is an other application that is interfferring with BitDefender.

Could you post a list of modules from running processes with RTP on and AVC on?

You can download Proces###plorer from Microsoft (here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb896653.aspx ) and when Notepad is running (or other application that crashed) open Process Explorer then click on Notepad.exe process and in lower pane you should see all loaded modules in process Notepad.exe (you can enable module list view from View/Lower Pane View select DLLs then enable from menu View/Show Lower Pane)

After this, post here the list of modules loaded in process notepad.exe. You can attach a screenshot with list of modules.

You can also select more columns to be displayed about loaded modules: menu View/Select Columns, DLL tab and check Path, Image Base Address, Base Address, Image Type options.

You should have a view like in attachment image.

Cheers!

post-17225-1261051057_thumb.png

• Thank you for the support Alex Stanciu. I have uploaded the log and sent you the PM.

I have noticed that when Active Virus Control is enabled, the problem exists. When it is disabled, however, the problem is gone.

Hi FriendlyFire,

I think there is an other application that is interfferring with BitDefender.

Could you post a list of modules from running processes with RTP on and AVC on?

You can download Proces###plorer from Microsoft (here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb896653.aspx ) and when Notepad is running (or other application that crashed) open Process Explorer then click on Notepad.exe process and in lower pane you should see all loaded modules in process Notepad.exe (you can enable module list view from View/Lower Pane View select DLLs then enable from menu View/Show Lower Pane)

After this, post here the list of modules loaded in process notepad.exe. You can attach a screenshot with list of modules.

You can also select more columns to be displayed about loaded modules: menu View/Select Columns, DLL tab and check Path, Image Base Address, Base Address, Image Type options.

You should have a view like in attachment image.

Cheers!

I have done as requested and the screenshot can be found here. I could not attach it to this post: I received an error. I have noticed that there are two DLL's that I feel should not be in use: FRAPS and Xfire Toucan DLL.

• Thank you for the support Alex Stanciu. I have uploaded the log and sent you the PM.

I have noticed that when Active Virus Control is enabled, the problem exists. When it is disabled, however, the problem is gone.

I have done as requested and the screenshot can be found here. I could not attach it to this post: I received an error. I have noticed that there are two DLL's that I feel should not be in use: FRAPS and Xfire Toucan DLL.

Hi,

Thanks for the screen-shots.

Could you repeat, please, with RTP on and AVC on?

There should be also some BitDefender modules loaded in process.

• Hi,

If problem persists, try to update Fraps and reboot system then try to reproduce problem (with RTP and AVC on) and post here the results.

Make sure BitDefender is up to date.

Thanks!

• Oh, sorry. I was quite certain that both were on in the previous screenshot. I took 2 screenshots and must have uploaded the wrong one. Here is the correct one with RTP and AVC on.

• Oh, sorry. I was quite certain that both were on in the previous screenshot. I took 2 screenshots and must have uploaded the wrong one. Here is the correct one with RTP and AVC on.

Hi FriendlyFire,

I've sent you a PM with instructions.

Cheers!

• Hi FriendlyFire,

I've sent you the reply.

It seems that the problem was an update that has not performed successfully and some AVC files were not upgraded to latest version.

Probably, a connection issue.

I think we solved this problem so we are looking forward for your replies.

Cheers! :-)

• Thanks so much for the great support! Everything is fixed and working!

• I am having the exact same problem programs closing but the processes not closing. When I disable real time protection then it works ok. Could you post how to resolve this issue..

Thanks

Jeff

• Bump... Would like to hear how to resolve this still.

I may need to see if I can revert back to bitdefender 2008. I am having alot of problems with 2010 interfearing with other programs.

• alexcrist
    Options

Hello Jeff,

As above, try disabling the Active Virus Control module. Or add to AVC Exclusions the application with which you have problems.

Cris.

• Hello Jeff,

As above, try disabling the Active Virus Control module. Or add to AVC Exclusions the application with which you have problems.

Cris.

If by "active virus control" you mean bitdefenders "real time protection" as I stated above the programs will work with this disabled. But

that defeats the purpose of having an antivirus. I tried to exclude the programs from bitdefender using the "exclusions" but it does not

correct the problem. The only way is to turn off the antivirus, even then I have to reboot the system to get the left over process to shutdown.

Hi FriendlyFire,

I've sent you the reply.

It seems that the problem was an update that has not performed successfully and some AVC files were not upgraded to latest version.

Probably, a connection issue.

I think we solved this problem so we are looking forward for your replies.

Cheers! :-)

From this post it would seam that there was a bad update or incorrect update. But there is no info as to what to do to correct it.

Bitdefender 2008 was working perfectly. I wish I could have just bought more time on that licence rather than having to upgrade.

Jeff

• alexcrist
    alexcrist
    edited January 2010
    Options

No, by Active Virus Control, I mean the Active Virus Control module.

• Open BitDefender Security Center (Expert mode)
    • go to Antivirus -> Shield
    • Click on Advanced settings
    • disable the Active Virus Control is enabled checkbox, and click OK.

AVC gets disabled when disabling the Realtime scanner. Vice-versa, not (Realtime protection can be enabled when AVC is disabled).

Cris.

• jeffery71
    edited January 2010
    Options

Cris,

That did it!!! It seams to work perfect now! .... Thank you so much!!

Jeff

• alexcrist
    Options

I'm glad it worked, Jeff. :)

Now that we've established that AVC is the module that makes problems on your system, please be so kind and tell us exactly what applications (complete name and version) you had problems with, so that the BitDefender Team can take a closer look at what happened and release a permanent fix.

Cris.

• I'm glad it worked, Jeff. :)

Now that we've established that AVC is the module that makes problems on your system, please be so kind and tell us exactly what applications (complete name and version) you had problems with, so that the BitDefender Team can take a closer look at what happened and release a permanent fix.

Cris.

Cris,

As far as what programs didn't close properly. It seamed to be all programs that I ran. (Internet explore, photoshop, rhino3d, all 3d programs, all CAM programs) I would close the program but the process would not close. After awhile I would have so many process's running I would have to reboot my computer.

I only had a few programs that just would not run at all.

Meshlab version 10 and 11 would not run.

Vector art 3d viewer.... A free program put out by vectorart3d.com for veiwing there models.

Mecsoft Visualmill vers 5 and 6

Thanks again for the help. If you need any more info let me know.

Jeff

• Cris,

As far as what programs didn't close properly. It seamed to be all programs that I ran. (Internet explore, photoshop, rhino3d, all 3d programs, all CAM programs) I would close the program but the process would not close. After awhile I would have so many process's running I would have to reboot my computer.

I only had a few programs that just would not run at all.

Meshlab version 10 and 11 would not run.

Vector art 3d viewer.... A free program put out by vectorart3d.com for veiwing there models.

Mecsoft Visualmill vers 5 and 6

Thanks again for the help. If you need any more info let me know.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

It seems that the problem is that an update was not performed successfully (i.e. bad internet connection).

I want to ask you to post here the content of C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2010\Active Virus Control\midasNN-v2_XXX directory, where NN is 32 or 64 depending on your Operating System arhcitecture (32-bit or 64-bit), and XXX is a number (the greatest represents the latest version).

I also want to ask you to post here the version of these files and operating system version. Especially, for files with names: midasNN.dll, plugin_*.m32 and/or plugin_*.m64.

The version of files can be seen by choosing Details tab from Properties window when right-clicking on each file. If you have Vista or later Windows, you may see the version of m32 and/or m64 files by copying them into empty folder (say C:\tmp) then renaming by appending .dll extension to each file name. Now you should be able to see the file version.

After this we will send you next instructions to fix the issue.

Best regards!

• Ghe,

I am using Windows XP home edition service pack 2

I have two folders under "Active Virus Control" ...midas32-v2_000.. and...midas32-v2_58

In under folder "midas32-v2_58" are the following files

alpha.br

leaktests.m32 ver. 0.5.1721.0

midas32.dll ver. 0.5.1721.2571

neurons.dll ver. 0.5.1721.1370

neurons.mdef

neurons.mdex

plugin_base.m32 ver. 0.5.1721.1527

plugin_extra.m32 ver. 0.5.1721.985

plugin_fragments.m32 ver. 0.5.1721.911

plugin_net.m32 ver. 0.5.1721.978

plugin_nt.m32 ver. 0.5.1721.804

plugin_registry.m32 ver. 0.5.1721.1030

versions.dat.C1095E5B5C8C8E34F326E4FE0A5AE27F

versions.id.C1095E5B5C8C8E34F326E4FE0A5AE27F

Folder midas32-v2_000 contains the same files but diffrent versions. let me know if you need to see those versions also.

Thanks

Jeff

• Hi Jeff,

Would you post the content of following registry key?

1. open Start

2. click Run

3. enter regedit and hit enter

4. locate the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\MidasHeurScanner

5. right click on it and select Export then enter a name and save the file on your desktop

6. please, attach the file created (.reg file).

I also want you to ask to use Proces###plorer to see the modules with their versions loaded in a process that starts with AVC on. (click here )

Then post a screenshot with BitDefender loaded modules in process that starts having AVC on.

Thanks!

I've attached the .reg file and also a screen shot of process explorer. I was not sure exactlly what you wanted with the process explorer.

Jeff

post-7614-1262692089_thumb.jpg

• apparently the forum will not allow uploading of .reg files or .zip files.... is there some place you would like me to email it?

Thanks

Jeff

• alexcrist
    alexcrist
    edited January 2010
    Options

Jeff,

For the reg file, just rename it to .txt and you can attach it here. The reg file is just a plaintext file, with a special format, so it's safe to rename it to TXT.

As for Proces###plorer:

I also want you to ask to use Proces###plorer to see the modules with their versions loaded in a process that starts with AVC on.

Do this:

- enable AVC (follow the steps I wrote above on how to disable it, and re-enable it)

- open an application that has problems closing. Don't close it (just open it)

- open Proces###plorer

- in Process Explorer, go to View and select Show lower pane

- also, go to View -> Lower Pane View and select DLLs

- select in the list the application with problems (the one you opened earlier)

- in the lower pane list (which will appear under the process list) will appear all modules (DLLs) loaded by that application. Resize the lower pane such as all modules are visible (drag it's upper limit upwards)

- take a screenshot and post it here

Cris.

EDIT: If there are too many modules and cannot fit into the lower pane (you still have a scrollbar on the right side), then select a module in the lower pane and press CTRL+A. A Save as dialog will appear. Save the TXT somewhere, and attach the saved file here. It will contain the complete list of processes from Process Explorer, and the complete list of loaded modules for the selected process (along with details about those modules, like their version)