Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Bitdefender Won't Stop Scanning Outgoing Emails

Options

I don't want to scan outgoing emails for viruses. Without going into too much detail, it causes problems with the larger emails in Outlook. But the "Scan outgoing email" checkbox under BitDefender 2010's Antivirus/Custom Level seems to me to be mostly decorative.

How does one stop scanning outgoing emails?

Comments

• PS - I should mention that I've been looking for a solution for this since 29th October on Ticket ID:200910221006399. I've had a number of replies to this, none that fixed the problem obviously.

• Alex Stanciu
    Options

Hello kieranhr,

We have sent you a reply to the support ticket that you have opened . We are looking forward to your reply .

Thank you.

• I tried the steps in the solution, and BitDefender has now indeed stopped scanning outgoing emails.

It turns out that the way to stop scanning outgoing emails is not to uncheck the "scan outgoing emails" checkbox. It's actually to disable the automatic updates, then go into safe mode and disable the outgoing email scanner.

One last query - are you people serious?

• gentilini
    Options

Hi,

I have posted the same problem in french forum this morning

Regards

Bruno

• I tried the steps in the solution, and BitDefender has now indeed stopped scanning outgoing emails.

It turns out that the way to stop scanning outgoing emails is not to uncheck the "scan outgoing emails" checkbox. It's actually to disable the automatic updates, then go into safe mode and disable the outgoing email scanner.

One last query - are you people serious?

Also having the same problem. BitDefender stalls outgoing email messages with large attachments and prevents send.

Can you detail your fix please??

• Sure Alveco. The first three things to try, if you haven't already, are: reducing how often you send-receive to every three minutes; increase your server time-out to five minutes; and unchecking 'scan outgoing email' under BitDefender/Antivirus/Custom Level.

But for me, the 'scan outgoing email' check button wasn't working, so I got this solution from Bitdefender:

Thank you for your interest in our security solution, BitDefender.

Bellow, you will find the steps that will help you disable the BitDefender

file which is responsible for the scanning of outgoing emails. The firs part

of the instructions, will help you set BitDefender to download only the virus

signatures updates. After we rename the file, in case we do not set this

option, BitDefender will re-download the file which we will disabled . Here is

what you have to do :

1. Open BitDefender in Expert Mode and click on the Update module. Click on

the tab called Settings.

2. Under "Confirm update" click on the option called "Prompt before

downloading updates " and under "Manual Update Settings " click on the same

option "Prompt before downloading updates " .

3. After you do this click on the button called Apply . Now, whenever you will

update you will have to choose only the Signatures updates and then click on

Ok.

Here are the steps that will help you rename the file :

1. Start your computer in Safe Mode.

- restart the computer;

- repeatedly press the "F8" key several times before Microsoft Windows begins

to load (you need to press "F8" until you will be displayed a text menu);

- select "SAFE MODE" in the text menu and press "Enter".

- wait while Windows loads in Safe Mode; this process ends with a confirmation

message; click "Yes" to acknowledge.

2. Go to the next location C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2010

and rename the files "bdsmtpp.dll" in "bdsmtpp.d_" .

3. Restart your computer in Normal Mode and let us know if you still have the

same issue .

• Much appreciated, kieranhr - problem solved.

Thanks.

• I have done this and now I am prompted every time an update is due and have to stop and select Signatures only. This can be very disrupting. Then while the update is happening, everything seems to stop, red crosses and greyed out systray icon.

Surely there must be a better way to stop scanning outgoing emails.

• Alex Stanciu
    Options

Hello Edelia,

Yesterday we have released a major update with a new version of the file that you disabled, "bdsmtpp.dll" . Please open BitDefender in Expert Mode, click on the Update module then click on the Settings tab. Make sure that the option "Silent update" is checked then click on Apply. After that click on the Update tab and hit the Update Now button. Reboot your computer when you will be prompted and let us know if you have the same issue.

Thank you.

• Hello Edelia,

Yesterday we have released a major update with a new version of the file that you disabled, "bdsmtpp.dll" . Please open BitDefender in Expert Mode, click on the Update module then click on the Settings tab. Make sure that the option "Silent update" is checked then click on Apply. After that click on the Update tab and hit the Update Now button. Reboot your computer when you will be prompted and let us know if you have the same issue.

Thank you.

I've been having the same problem with Outlook XP where e-mails will sit in the Outbox and the send/receive status will bounce all over the place but they will not be sent. I turned off the "scan outgoing e-mails" when I installed it last week. My timeout is 10 minutes. I have BD 2010 Internet Security and the DLL file mentioned was dated Dec 15th, 2009 so if my problem is the same, I don't think that it fixed the problem. I did the rename of the file in Safe Mode and it seemed to work. How will we know when it is fixed because if we only allow Signature file update, I'm assuming that we won't get any software updates either. THis is a pain because I'm getting a new computer with Windows 7 (64 bit) next week and I would like a stable system before migrating.

• Thanks Alex - I have done as you said and all seems well.

Thank you very much.

• Could you please clarify something about the updates? I just received an update request and there was the signature file update and a product file update. The product file update included the .DLL files that was renamed. Is this being sent because BD checks to see if the file exists and if not, it sends a new copy OR is it a "fix". The version that I have is 13.0.3.8.

• Thanks Alex - I have done as you said and all seems well.

Thank you very much.

Edelia

Could you tell me what version of the file (BDSMTPP.DLL) you now have on your system? Mine has a modification date of 12/15/2009 at 3:02pm.

• The Nit

13.0.3.8 17/12/2009 7.26am 152KB

• Alex Stanciu
    Options

Hello TheNit,

If you have the same issues after our latest updates please follow the steps bellow :

1. Open My Computer.

2. Browse to

C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2010

- considering that BitDefender was installed on the default C partition

3. Doubleclick on the supporttool.exe file .(in case you have Windows Vista or Windows 7, right click on the the supporttool.exe file and choose "Run as administrator" )

4. Click on Next, wait a few minutes for the progress bar to complete and then click on Finish .

5. Go to the desktop, upload the report on http://www.sendspace.com/ then send me a PM with the download link or reply to our email with the report attached .

Thank you.

• I've sent the dump files through Outlook. If they didn't get there, let me know.

As I noted in the e-mail, I've found out why SupportTool does not work for some people. I'm using Windows XP with Outlook XP (2002). When I ran SupportTool, it would get to about 40% and hang. Based on a help article in BD support, I decided to run the program SYSDUMP.EXE (the pgm being run by SupportTool) interactively. It was running fine until it stopped and asked me to insert the Microsoft Office XP Media Content disk into my disk drive. It then found what it needed from the disk and continued on to completion. Apparently, when running SupportTool, it will not ask the user to insert the disk and just hang.

• Since the recent update, I have had no problems at all!

• I spoke too soon! BD has started scanning outgoing emails again!

Alex, what is going on?

• Hello Edelia,

Thank you.

OK I think I understand you Alex! HOWEVER, as others have also found, this latest version of "bdsmtpp.dll" does NOT solve the ongoing mystery of the stubborn "scan outgoing email all the time" problem.

For the record, I tried the re-name process and it DID stop the outgoing email scan. Aha!! Now, on to the download of updates with the all new "bdsmtpp.dll" and a re-boot ... (hold my breath) ... DARN, it's doing it again!

So, as Edelia has said ... "What is going on Alex???"

You guys are a big reputable company - I too have been trying ALL avenues on fixing this, (plus the activity bar setting no go) for WEEKS!

Is this still a secret Beta version?? (2010) Come on, "fess up" guys, there are a few annoying little bugs which persist under Win7.

Let us, your loyal customers know what is the deal, and when it will be fixed. PLEASE. <_<

• Bitdefender team this is a very poor performance!!! I mean I try out your Bitdefender 2011 Total Security suite..... and the problem above is still not solved!!! Is this again a secret beta version or what? I mean how it can be possible that a user who trusts your company, buys your product installs it and then your product prevents him from sending emails with larger attachments???!!! Is that a joke??? :unsure:

Where is the real solution? I mean such without modifying registry or rename some freaky *.dll files..... it is your software!! We buy it but you must give a proper support with updates and not go there modify registry here delete file there....!!! Users do not buy your program so they can spend half of their life on improving it! :wacko:

My current system:

Windows 7 x64 fresh install

Ms Office 2010 x64 fresh install

Bitdefender 2011 TS... fresh install

....now am wondering how many years and versions will follow till this problem is solved! :blink:

• You posted in the 2010 forum, onto the end of a topic last updated in 2009. You are talking about BD 2011.

Did you mean to post in the 2011 forum? Or are you really talking about BD 2010?

Would it be better to start a new topic in the 2011 forum where it will get the proper attention? If so, I will close this one.

Regards,