Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

My Computer (explorer.exe) Hang Frequently

Options

Hello,

I have several problems after installing bitdefender total security 2010. After contacting several times to BD support none of the solution support me. Even I got very rude response fro Bitdefender customer service for the problem,

PC configuration:

windows xp sp3

processor: 1.66 ghz core 2 duo

ram: 1 gb

HDD 80 gb

Net connection: 4 mbps

problems:

1. my computer hangs frequently without any reason. explorer also hangs without any reason and has to crash it from task manager everytime.

2. firefox takes more than 10 minute to open the initial window.

3. Google chrome and firefox hangs frequently during browsing .... even browsing google.com

4. sometimes computer works fast and at the other movement it becomes extremely slow.

will look for a positive feedback and solution from you guys.

Thanks,

Vijay

Comments

• Alex Stanciu
    Options

Hello aabhanv,

For start try adding the processes that you mentioned to the Active Virus Control exclusions . In order to do this we recommend you to follow the steps bellow :

1. Open BitDefender in Expert Mode, click on the Antivirus module and under the Shield tab click on the Advanced Settings button .

2. The BitDefender Active Virus Control Settings window should be displayed. Click on the add button, represented by the plus (+) sign and browse to the next locations :

C:\WINDOWS and here select "explorer.exe" then choose Open.

C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\ and here select "firefox.exe" then choose Open.

C:\Documents and Settings\Aarnav\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\Application\

and here select "chrome.exe" then choose Open

Reboot your computer and test to see if the same issue occurs after that.

Thank you.

• Firefox hangs for me much more using 2010 than it did using 2009. Alex, what would be the drawback to adding firefox.exe to the Active Virus Control exclusions? Am I still protected when I use that browser?

• Hello

As you mentioned I added firefox and the other softwares like chrome, googletalk, which requires internet connection in exclusion list....

but It still did not solve my problem.....

1. firefox opens after 5-10 minutes, and crashes at regular intervals.

2. windows disk defragmenter takes 20 minutes just to analyse the data from 20 gb hard drive..... i dont know how much time it will take for defragmenting

3. internet connection failed freuquently (i use WLAN)

4. opening bitdefender window from system tray is extremely big task... as after clicking it.... it will take 3-4 minutes to open the window.

A. file explorer is bit faster now crashing is reduced now

changing between two opened windows is extremely slow.

If I want to copy and paste data from one drive to another. it takes almost around 20 minutes to copy and paste for 1 gb data. which was earlier possible in 6-7 minutes.

I dont know whether this is a problem/ bug or error in bitdefender 2010. But when 2010 is uninstaaled every thing comes back to normal.

I formatted my hard drive for almost three times to resolve the bitdefender issue with fresh copy of windiws and bitdefender,.... Still the same problems I am facing after installing bitdefender 2010. Earlier I used 2009, and it was very fine... in fact I was very impressed with the speed, user friendliness and the way it treat with the cookies/ viruses/ spams/ and pop ups...... but i am very unhappy with the 2010 performance.

kindly request you to support a little bit

• Alex Stanciu
    Alex Stanciu ✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Options

Hello gdobbs23 and aabhanv,

gdobbs23 : You still be protected when you use the browser but if the process is modified by a malicious program, BitDefender will not warn you, because the process is in the Exclusion list of Active Virus Control. We recommended those instructions so that we can check if that particular option determines those slowdowns . If a program is not working because of the Active Virus Control option, please add a new post here .

@aabhanv : If possible we would like you to follow the steps below one more time :

1. Open My Computer.

2. Browse to

C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2010

- considering that BitDefender was installed on the default C partition

3. Doubleclick on the supporttool.exe file .(in case you have Windows Vista or Windows 7, right click on the the supporttool.exe file and choose "Run as administrator" )

4. Click on Next, wait a few minutes for the progress bar to complete and then click on Finish .

5. Go to the desktop, upload the report on http://www.sendspace.com/ then send me a PM with the download link or reply to our email with the report attached .

We are looking forward to your reply.

Thank you.

• Hello Alex,

the file has been uploaded as asked by you and the link has been sent to you as a PM ....

Thanks for your support. looking forward with some positive solution from you.

Vijay

• Hello alex,

i am desperately waiting for the feedback...... it becomes really impossible for me to work on my laptop . it took almost 39 minutes to transfer a single movie file of 1.18 gb from one drive to another......

i am really very much distracted with the services and support i got from BD since last one and half month. Please dont take it personally, My intention is not to hurt you, but I have to express myself about the support and system of BD. I sent you the zip file created by support tool, and this was the third time, before that two of your colleagues also asked me to do so and I did . I only got feedback like to uninstall the BD and install it again.....And I feel, this is the first troubleshoot everybody does before contacting any customer support .

I am looking for a specific solution of a problem...... I just searched with other post in this forum and most of the people are having same problem with BD 2010. May be this is the flop version of BD after a blockbuster 2009. But I am not sure whether BD is also aware of the facts and the problems their customers are facing.

I would like to have a specific timeline to solve the problem.

Thanks and regards,

vijay

• pied
    Options

Hi,

My BD2010 IS on Windows 7 Pro starts to hangs up after some BD update in the end of November 2009. Some programs work much slower (i.e. Need for Speed: Undercover, impossible to play). I have exactly the same problems as aabhanv. On the 2nd computer, WinXP SP3 upgraded from BD2009 IS to BD2010 IS the same situation. Firefox hangs up every 20 to 25 minutes for approx. 1 minutes, WiFi connection problems etc....

Today I checked behavior of the system with different BD configurations. With Real-time protection DISABLED, everything is OK and I have my powerful computer back again. What have You done with the BD ??

• Alex Stanciu
    Options

Hello pied and aabhanv,

aabhanv : We have sent you a PM with some steps that we would like you to follow. Please reply when you have time.

pied : For start, try to disable the BitDefender Active Virus Control option, reboot your system after that and let us know if the same sittuation occurs . In order to do this follow the steps bellow :

1. Open BitDefender, click on the Settings button, choose the the Expert Mode then click on Ok. After that, click on the Antivirus module and under the Shield tab click on the Advanced Settings button .

2. The BitDefender Active Virus Control Settings window should be displayed. Here, uncheck "Active Virus Control is enabled" , in order to disable this option then click on Ok.

3. Reboot your computer.

Thank you.

• Hello Alex,

As per your PM, I changed the value to 4. But still no improvements at all.

As you told me that the bitdefender is not conflicting with any of the program, Once again I checked it uninstalling with the special BD tool from the given URL from your one of the colleague's mail.

After uninstalling I got my original speed back.... reinstalling makes the same situation as of earlier.

I would like to replace this creepy 2010 with BD total security 2009. Kindly give me the procedure if it is possible to change it to older version. Otherwise I would like to have my money back and take your Bitdefender Key back.

Thanks and regards,

Vijay

• Hello Alex,

As per your PM, I changed the value to 4. But still no improvements at all.

As you told me that the bitdefender is not conflicting with any of the program, Once again I checked it uninstalling with the special BD tool from the given URL from your one of the colleague's mail.

After uninstalling I got my original speed back.... reinstalling makes the same situation as of earlier.

I would like to replace this creepy 2010 with BD total security 2009. Kindly give me the procedure if it is possible to change it to older version. Otherwise I would like to have my money back and take your Bitdefender Key back.

Thanks and regards,

Vijay

Hi all,

I have this situation too happing quite a lot randomly.

I disabled Automatic update and so far so good.

Charles

Bitdefender Internet Security 2010

• All,

I had to uninstall bitdefender IS completly. Since then, back to normal no hang anymore. Since I'm tired to babysit Bitdefender, I won't reinstall it, I'll look for alternative.

Best luck to all

Charles

• Hello aabhanv and cjean,

aabhanv : We have sent you an e-mail with the procedure to reinstall BitDefender Total Security 2009. Please reply back if you have any other question.

cjean : We are sorry to hear about the issues you encountered. If you would like us to further investigate the situation, we have sent you an e-mail with some instructions that will help you obtain some reports we'll need to look on.

We are looking forward to your reply.

Thank you.

• Hello,

I have several problems after installing bitdefender total security 2010. After contacting several times to BD support none of the solution support me. Even I got very rude response fro Bitdefender customer service for the problem,

PC configuration:

windows xp sp3

processor: 1.66 ghz core 2 duo

ram: 1 gb

HDD 80 gb

Net connection: 4 mbps

problems:

1. my computer hangs frequently without any reason. explorer also hangs without any reason and has to crash it from task manager everytime.

2. firefox takes more than 10 minute to open the initial window.

3. Google chrome and firefox hangs frequently during browsing .... even browsing google.com

4. sometimes computer works fast and at the other movement it becomes extremely slow.

will look for a positive feedback and solution from you guys.

Thanks,

Vijay

I had similar problems.

Permanently disable the automatic updates.

This should fix the problem.

Just remember to do regular updates - eg. On your lunch break.