Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Windows 7 Ultimate + Bitdefender Total Security 2010 Conflict?

Options

Hello guys,

This is my first post here, so I would like to wish everyone a happy new year.

I am experiencing a very strange situation here that I want to share with you. SOME websites (more specifically 2 Greek sports websites, www.contra.gr and www.sentragoal.gr for example) WON'T load at all or it takes ages to load after installing Bitdefender Total Security 2010. I'm attaching a print screen to show you what I mean.

I bought a new laptop few days ago, (Sony Vaio SR59XG/H) and I format it because I don't like all the pre-installed things that every company puts. I installed Windows 7 Ultimate and couple of essential software that I use. Everything was OK and every website was loading normally. The last software I always install is Bitdefender. After installing the Bitdefender Total Security 2010 some certain websites are not loading. :huh:

Just to mention something here, after completely uninstalling bitdefender with the uninstall tool provided by bitdefender's website, everything turns back to normal. The websites that weren't loading are loading just fine.

Also I want to point here that my bitdefender important settings are: Antivirus --> Aggressive, Firewall --> allow all known and Parental Control --> Disabled.

I tried to turn every option off like antivirus and Firewall for couple minutes but nothing happened. Still the problem persists.

Any ideas?

Thanks guys

post-30316-1262789208_thumb.png

Comments

• alexcrist
    Options

Hello Andreas_Cy,

Please post the URLs of the websites that are not working. From the screenshot you posted I noticed Contra.gr, but you said there are more. Please post all of them. Thank you.

Cris.

• In so far,

http://www.sentragoal.gr/

http://www.contra.gr/

http://www.sport24.gr/

I made the rational assumption that Bitdefender blocks the *.gr websites but on the other hand i can visit http://www.sport.gr/ and http://www.in.gr/

• alexcrist
    Options

No, the problem is not with the sites themselves.

I'm running Windows 7 Pro x64 with BitDefender 2010 TS.

Using Firefox 3.5.7 and NoScript (a Firefox extension that blocks scripts), the sites load immediately and completely. Starting to enable scripts, at one step, the page loading stops.

As I noticed:

- contra.gr and sport24.gr both block when accessing 64.1.2.100 (a server from Greece, I'm not exactly sure what it contains)

- the first site blocks at an advertising server, ads.e-go.gr

I suspect that all problems in your case are related to advertising sites, because, as I said, the sites themselves (with the scripts from those hosts) run perfectly, without any delays. Once I enable external scripts, everything blocks at one point.

I will try to talk to someone to see if I can find more details, and a workaround/fix.

Thank you for reporting.

Cris.

• So I guess that it is not bitdefender's problem?

If I uninstall bitdefender TS the sites will load normally.

Andreas

• alexcrist
    alexcrist
    edited January 2010
    Options

I'm not exactly sure where the problem is. What I meant to say is that the sites themselves load just fine with BitDefender. The blockage appears probably when BitDefender scans some of the advertising content downloaded from some of the advertising servers.

A quick workaround is to disable the Realtime Protection shield when viewing those sites. But this is not recommended, especially not on long term.

I sent a message to someone regarding this matter. As soon as I get a reply, I'll post back here. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Cris.

• I disable both firewall and real-time protection many times but nothing happened.

Anyhow, thanks for the help so far :)

• alexcrist
    Options

Hello Andreas,

I have a safer workaround for you to try.

Please follow these steps:

• open BitDefender Security Center (Expert Mode)
    • go to Antivirus -> Shield and click Custom level
    • uncheck the options HTTP Scan, Scan Yahoo Messenger traffic and Scan Windows Live Messenger traffic and click OK
    • go to Parental Control and disable it, if necessary
    • go to Privacy Control and disable the Identity control module (the other ones from Privacy can remain active)

Close the Security Center, restart your browser and try again to access those sites. Please post the result.

Cris.

• :D

With those settings I can see the websites! Unbelievable Cris!

• Well i tried all the listed web addresses, only one didn't load sport24.gr but if you use Google to translate the page, on the site contra.gr it won't load, but displays an error message in IE8, that is using win7 x64bit ultimate and Internet security x64 2010,but i also am using the mpvs host's file(ad blocking ect)[iMPVS HOST'S FILE[/i] i don't personally think it is solely a bd problem,as it could well be other factors such as the dns server being used at the time not resolving properly

• alexcrist
    Options

davey, as I said already, the sites themselves work fine. The problem is somewhere on the ad servers. Because you use a modified hosts file, to block ad sites, it's most likely that you already have those problematic sites blocked, which means that the sites will load fine (because the ad sites won't be reached). It's the same thing as running an ad-blocking plugin or extension in the browser (which I already tested, and worked).

Cris.

• It doesn't seem to be a problem with davey's hosts file: I have Firefox's NoScript add-on, and all 3 sites will load fine with the default NoScript option, but will not load at all if I authorize the scripts on these 3 sites. I just visited these sites for the first time now.

So there is definitely something fishy with these sites, possibly adware and other malware that BD blocks as it should.

In any case, contact the webmasters of these sites, they should be made aware that their site is not accessible because of potential malware.