Crash Caused By "bdftdif.sys"

hi..

i am having a problem while working online, i get a blue screen with title "A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer"

and in the same message the technical information shows:

* stop: 0x000000D1 (0x000000A8, 0x00000002, 0x00000001, 0xA8BAA86B)

* bdftdif.sys address A8BAA86B base at A8BA5000 datastump 49218378

==============

i read an old topic here and found an answer says:

It seems that one driver that belongs to Bitdefender software is responsible for this issue. I have to execute the following steps to solve my problem.

1. Load Windows in Safe mode.

2. Find the following file: bdftdif.sys usually, it can be found in the following folder:

C:\Windows\system32\drivers\

or

C:\Program Files\Common Files\BitDefender\BitDefender Firewall

If you are using Windows Search, make sure you ticked option to search in hidden and system folder as well.

3. Rename it to bdftdif.sys.tmp

4. Reboot your computer in Normal mode

so i did it, found the bdftdif.sys in C:\Program Files\Common Files\BitDefender\BitDefender Firewall and renamed it in safe mode to bdftdif.sys.tmp

but when i restarted my PC in normal mode i found that firewall stopped and couldn't turn it on, so i went back to safe mode and renamed the file back

i am using BitDefender Total Security 2009 on Win XP Pro SP2

any ideas?

thanks.

Comments

• alexcrist
    alexcrist
    edited May 2009

Hello ayman999ua,

Are you doing anything in particular (like using any particular application) when this happens?

Do you have any other security applications and/or firewalls installed and active?

Cris.

• ayman999ua
    edited May 2009

hello Cris :)

yes it happens usually when i use an add-on in FireFox called "ReloadEvery V3.0.0"

anyway, after the last crash i stopped firewall manually and not surfing any non trusted website.

i got the files "Mini050909-02.dmp and sysdata.xml" generated after the crash but couldn't attach them here, it says i am not allowed to upload this type of files (i tried to zip them and rar them and still cannt upload them here)

and no, i am not using any other security apps.

thanks.

• hi..

i am having a problem while working online, i get a blue screen with title "A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer"

and in the same message the technical information shows:

* stop: 0x000000D1 (0x000000A8, 0x00000002, 0x00000001, 0xA8BAA86B)

==============

i read an old topic here and found an answer says:

so i did it, found the bdftdif.sys in C:\Program Files\Common Files\BitDefender\BitDefender Firewall and renamed it in safe mode to bdftdif.sys.tmp

but when i restarted my PC in normal mode i found that firewall stopped and couldn't turn it on, so i went back to safe mode and renamed the file back

i am using BitDefender Total Security 2009 on Win XP Pro SP2

any ideas?

thanks.

UNINSTALL NVIDIA CHIPSET DRIVERS AND REINSTALL REMOVING THE TICK FROM THE BOX "NVIDIA MEDIA SHIELD" THAT'S IT. This solves almost all bitdefender installation problems.Bitdefender is the best protection out there I have installed 48 licences so far and this has been my only problem.GOOD LUCK.

• UNINSTALL NVIDIA CHIPSET DRIVERS AND REINSTALL REMOVING THE TICK FROM THE BOX "NVIDIA MEDIA SHIELD" THAT'S IT. This solves almost all bitdefender installation problems.Bitdefender is the best protection out there I have installed 48 licences so far and this has been my only problem.GOOD LUCK.

Hi grobo..

will try right now and will reply back here tomorrow about the resault :)

thank you for your help :)

• sadly i dont have NVIDIA chipset! so i can try it :)

• ayman999ua, please tell me the exact versions of Firefox and ReloadEvery (also, if you can, a download link for ReloadEvery, so I can be sure I have the same version). I'll test to see if I can reproduce it a little later today.

Also, it would be useful to post some steps that you noticed that produce the blue screen (for instance, what settings you use in ReloadEvery, and what sites are you visiting when it happens).

Also, please tell us what type of connection you have for internet (wi-fi/lan), and what network adapter you have.

About the network adapter, do you have the latest drivers from the official site?

Cris.

• hi again..

i am using FireFox 3.0.7

reloadevery V3.0.0 from this link: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addons/versions/115

windows crashes after using the relaodevery, maybe after 5 min, or 10 or more or less no matter what settings i have for reloadevery or what pages i am using it for.. sometimes it crashes after stopping the reloadevery.

it crashes on any connection, LAN, ISDN, Modem...

all my drivers are the latest versions, and the problem just happened for no reason, i mean i didn't install any new software and didn't update any software at all.

and as you know, when a crash occurs Windows writes crash information in temp folder to send them with the report, so i got the files after the crash and did rar them and uploaded them here so you can have a look at them:

http://www.tiger999man.com/bitdefender/mini_sysdata.rar

==========

thank you :)

• andreidumi
    edited May 2009

The issue is fixed, a new driver will be available via Update in the upcoming days. Thanks for the report.

• Thank you Andrei :)

• still having the crash even i removed all firefox add-ons, uninstalled firenfox and installed the latest version V3.0.10

no using add-ons and still having the crash.. updating BitDefender everyday. :)

• fjanos
    edited January 2010

I have the same problem :( :

BLUE SCREEN and * stop: 0x000000D1 (0x000000A8, 0x00000002, 0x00000001, 0xA8BAA86B)

It does it when I press the refresh button in firefox to reload the same page[/font]

I see noone continues the topic. Any fix for this out there, please I'd appreciate it.

• Hello fjanos ,

Please go to the next location from your system : C:\Windows\Minidump and you should find some files with the extension ".dmp" . These files were created after you received the Blue Screen error message and it will provide us more details about this error . Please go to :http://www.sendspace.com/ , upload them then post here the download link .

Thank you .

• Hello fjanos ,

Please go to the next location from your system : C:\Windows\Minidump and you should find some files with the extension ".dmp" . These files were created after you received the Blue Screen error message and it will provide us more details about this error . Please go to :http://www.sendspace.com/ , upload them then post here the download link .

Thank you .

Hi first of all thanx for answering.

I got various *.dmp files but I give you my last one: http://www.sendspace.com/file/w2shlt. I hope thi solves my problem.

Thanx

• Hi first of all thanx for answering.

I got various *.dmp files but I give you my last one: http://www.sendspace.com/file/w2shlt. I hope thi solves my problem.

Thanx

Hello fjanos ,

It seems that the Blue Screen error was caused by one of the BitDefender Firewall drivers . Please try the following steps :

1. Click on Start from Windows and choose Run .

2. Here type ncpa.cpl and click on Ok .

3. Right-click your "Local Area Connection" and choose Properties.

4. Uncheck "BitDefender Firewall NDIS Filter Driver" then click on Ok .

Let us know if you still have the same issues after that .

• Hello fjanos ,

It seems that the Blue Screen error was caused by one of the BitDefender Firewall drivers . Please try the following steps :

1. Click on Start from Windows and choose Run .

2. Here type ncpa.cpl and click on Ok .

3. Right-click your "Local Area Connection" and choose Properties.

4. Uncheck "BitDefender Firewall NDIS Filter Driver" then click on Ok .

Let us know if you still have the same issues after that .

I did it. So it means that I should run Windows firewall instead of Bitdefender? Ok We'll see if the problem will persist again.

Thanx anyway

• I can reproduce this same exact crash using IE8 and any program that uses the network card a lot. It's an overload of the Bitdefender driver, basically. If I didn't have this issue with Bitdefender total security 2009, but the moment I upgraded to 2010 and tried the same stuff I've been doing (bittorrent, or even download youtube video) you will get this if you open like 3 IE tabs and download simultaneously. It's a hardware stop error, and since the Bitdefender driver is bound to IP stack, there is no way around this anymore now that I upgraded. Please let me know if they finally fix this.

• I've got some random BSOD related to bdftdif.sys (5.0.0.9), the last two ones in a 20 minutes interval while I was surfing Facebook using Firefox (last version). I've Vista and Bit Defender Total Security 2010

• windows 7 64bit and bitdefender internet security 2010....

all i can say is that i am not here to bash, instead, i am here to express my HUGE disappointment and dissatisfaction with this product. it has been the most troublesome and the biggest headache EVER out of any anti virus i have EVER used!! i spend more time updating manually and rebooting than i do anything else. i am soooooo ready to change products because i cannot afford to keep wasting my time on a security program that isn't very secure or reliable itself!!

so am i asking too much for this program to work?

is there something i am missing?

instead, i just may need to move on and pass the word to other IT professionals to NOT make the same mistake as i did.

Thanks

vulnerable PC in Missouri

• I've got some random BSOD related to bdftdif.sys (5.0.0.9), the last two ones in a 20 minutes interval while I was surfing Facebook using Firefox (last version). I've Vista and Bit Defender Total Security 2010

New BSOD right now while I was performing a speed test and loading a forum

• New BSOD right now while I was performing a speed test and loading a forum

Another one just exiting firefox. It seems there is no pattern. I've been using BD for two months but the problems are only happening about a week ago

• Hello rayloriga,

In order to further investigate this situation please browse to the next location: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump, please archive the files that you will find there, upload the resulting archive on : http://www.sendspace.com/ then post here the download link.

We are looking forward to your reply.

Thank you.

• I'll do it if it happens again

Thanks

• I am having an issue with windows xp any time I close firefox 3.6.2 the bitdefender firewall "bdftdif.sys"‎ when I close firefox the dump file is located at. "bdftdif.sys"‎

http://www.sendspace.com/file/qdp9s2

• We have BitDefender Antivirus 2009 installed on several retail kiosk type computer systems. Several machines have experienced BSOD's and the "minidump" files inidicate "bdftdif.sys" is the cause.

We would like to disable the "bdftdif.sys" driver (if possible) via a remotely executed ******. We are able to manually start "Safe Mode" and change the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\bdftdif\start = 0 which appears to disable the driver. However the registry value cannot be changed while Windows is running in "Normal" mode.

The version of the bdftdif.sys driver on our machines = 0.4.64.4507 and I know there is a newer version. Has the BSOD issue been resolved?

Can someone provide a solution to this issue (other than removing BitDefender) that can be scripted and executed via PcAnywhere?

• nikki605
    edited January 2011

Steve - is there a specific reason why you have not upgraded these PCs (for FREE) to BDAV 2011? It has a much newer scan engine and the problem you are experiencing may have been resolved in this latest version.

This is a pretty old thread you have posted in.

Regards,