Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Can't Complete Scan Using Total Security 2010

Options

I have yet to be able to complete a scan of any type (quick, deep, etc.). All seems well until eventually parts of the window start to go away. The line that shows the item being scanned goes away first, then others at random. If I mouse over the tabs in the task bar, the icons remain, but the descriptions go away. Eventually it causes a reboot. Once Windows restarts, there's a dialog offering to send an error report for a blue screen crash. If I can't scan, what's the point of my investment?

My OS is Windows XP Home on an Asus Eee laptop.

Comments

• I have yet to be able to complete a scan of any type (quick, deep, etc.). All seems well until eventually parts of the window start to go away. The line that shows the item being scanned goes away first, then others at random. If I mouse over the tabs in the task bar, the icons remain, but the descriptions go away. Eventually it causes a reboot. Once Windows restarts, there's a dialog offering to send an error report for a blue screen crash. If I can't scan, what's the point of my investment?

My OS is Windows XP Home on an Asus Eee laptop.

Hi KPReid,

Please upload files found in C:\Windows\Minidump to www.sendspace.com and post here the download link.

Regards!

• Hi KPReid,

Please upload files found in C:\Windows\Minidump to www.sendspace.com and post here the download link.

Regards!

http://www.sendspace.com/file/l7f5yk

• alexcrist
    alexcrist
    edited January 2010
    Options

Hello KRPeid,

I took a fast peek into the dumps you posted. The common denominator in most of them seems to be the combination between a BitDefender driver and the driver from COMODO System Cleaner (cfrmd.sys). I tried to reproduce your problem on a system of my own, with WinXP Pro SP2 and BD TS 2010, but all things went OK. However, as I noticed, COMODO System Cleaner has many different options related to system crashes (like "Automatically terminate applications that have become unresponsive"), memory management (different option to optimize caching and resource usage) and probably other options I didn't notice. I've only tried it for about half hour so It's not possible for me to find the exact cause.

However, one thing is for sure: COMODO System Cleaner HAS a driver of it's own (which is set to load on system boot, even before the system actually booted) and that driver was on most of the crash dump stacks (which means that, somewhere on the line, that driver was involved in the system crash).

If I may, I'd like to make you a suggestion: try to stop the COMODO driver, to see if the problem persists. You can do this in 2 ways:

- either fully uninstall COMODO System Cleaner (reboot your system after you do so)

- either disable it's driver, by following these steps:

1. go to Start -> Run and type regedit
    2. In case you are not familiar with Registry Editor, it has an Explorer-like interface, with a tree-list on the left and entries on the right. The "folders" on the left are called Keys and the "files" on the right are called Values
    3. navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\CFRMD
    4. On the right side you should see multiple values and, one of them should be called "Start". Double click it and edit it's value from "0" to "4". And click OK, then restart your system.

post-60-1264626500_thumb.png

After that, try again a system scan with BitDefender and see if the problem persists. Please post the result.

Cris.