Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Bitdefender Has Started To Block My Internet Access

Options

Since yesterday, I have had problems with BitDefender 2010 on my desktop computer.

When trying to access the internet via Internet Explorer, I got a popup from BitDefender Active Virus Control, saying that BitDefender had blocked Windows Internet Explorer as a potentially malicious or infected application. I was invited to give the option to allow the programme if I trusted it, but I was not allowed into Internet Explorer by BitDefender even when I pressed the allow option.

The same thing happened when I tried to get online with my other browser, Firefox.

After rebooting my computer, I was able to use Internet Explorer (and it seemed to work fine), but this was only because BitDefender was for some reason switched off. When I opened BitDefender, I got a message saying that BitDefender services were switched off and that the computer needed to be rebooted before they could start again.

After rebooting again, BitDefender was working once again, but it was also denying me access to the internet.

Opening BitDefender, I saw a list of "Critical Microsoft Updates" that needed to be installed:

1. Security Update for Windows XP (KB975713)

2. Security Update for Windows XP (KB978037)

3. Security Update for Windows XP (KB978037)

4. Security Update for Windows XP (KB978251)

5. Security Update for Windows XP (KB975560)

6. Cumulative Security Update for ActiveX Killbits for Windows XP (KB978262)

7. Security Update for Windows XP (KB977914)

8. Security Update for Windows XP (KB971468)

9. Security Update for Windows XP (KB978706)

10. Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - February 2010 (KB890830)

But, obviously, it was not possible to install those updates because BitDefender would not allow me to get online.

I have done thorough scans with BitDefender and MalwareBytes, and both programmes reported no infected or suspicious items.

I would be grateful for any advice.

Comments

• Hello Hopkinson,

Please follow the steps below in order to disable BitDefender Antivirus Virus Control module:

1. Open BitDefender Security Center.

2. Click on 'Settings' and switch to 'Expert Mode'

3. Go to 'Antivirus' tab.

4. Click on 'Advanced Settings' and DISABLE the 'Antivirus Virus Control' feature.

5. Test to see if the issue still replicates.

Thank you.

• I am having the same problem and when I turn bit defender off, the machine worked fine all day. When it's turned on the internet and email works for a while then craps out. Have to reboot and works for a while again. Today I left it off and when I checked with the client at the end of the day, he said it was fine all day long. I have run spybot, scanned for viruses and cleaned all cache and temp files etc. Any thoughts?

• Hi jmdwifi,

In order to solve this issue I would recommend you to upgrade for FREE to BitDefender 2011. Before going through the upgrade process, I need to know if this new version is compatible with your system.

If you want, you can send me a PM with a Screen Shot with your system configuration or just tell me your general hardware specs (CPU, RAM, System Type...).

In order to see your system configuration, right click on the MyComputer icon present on your desktop and choose Properties.

How to take a Screenshot:

1. When the window is on the screen please press the "PrintScreen" key ("PrintScreen" is located at the top of the keyboard, at right. At this step we can not see anything, as the picture is copied into Windows's clipboard);

2. Open a graphic editing application (We recommend using the standard Paint program, that comes with every Windows installation (Start > Program > Accessories > Paint));

3. Paste the picture in a new Paint document;

4. Save the file in JPEG format.

Thank you!

• I will send this info tonight when I get over there. Thank you. Do you know what causes this in 2010?

Hi jmdwifi,

In order to solve this issue I would recommend you to upgrade for FREE to BitDefender 2011. Before going through the upgrade process, I need to know if this new version is compatible with your system.

If you want, you can send me a PM with a Screen Shot with your system configuration or just tell me your general hardware specs (CPU, RAM, System Type...).

In order to see your system configuration, right click on the MyComputer icon present on your desktop and choose Properties.

How to take a Screenshot:

1. When the window is on the screen please press the "PrintScreen" key ("PrintScreen" is located at the top of the keyboard, at right. At this step we can not see anything, as the picture is copied into Windows's clipboard);

2. Open a graphic editing application (We recommend using the standard Paint program, that comes with every Windows installation (Start > Program > Accessories > Paint));

3. Paste the picture in a new Paint document;

4. Save the file in JPEG format.

Thank you!