Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Firewall - "ask" Option

Options

Hello--

I went into Traffic and noted that winword.exe was on the list with "Allow" by it. While I do want MS "Updates" (for Windows OpSystem) to be enabled, there is no reason for my word processing program to be connecting with or by any outside source. I clicked on the "Edit Rules" icon (top right of that screen) and it gives me two choices -- allow or deny.

I know I asked a similar question a couple of weeks ago in regard to another matter, but does this mean that it's "all or nothing" regarding MS so that if connections are made to update OpSys, then I must also allow any and all connections even if it's with a piece of software that I don't want to have generating or receiving direct contact with any outside computer?

Comments

• Niels
    Niels
    edited August 2007
    Options

Hello C-1000

Why microsoft word is allowed to make contact to the internet is because you can use online help or download templates or go to the office update website. Then word has to make contact with microsoft.com. If you don't use it deny access.

Regards

Niels

• Hello C-1000

Why microsoft word is allowed to make contact to the internet is because you can use online help or download templates or go to the office update website. Then word has to make contact with microsoft.com. If you don't use it deny access.

Regards

Niels

Hi Niels--

Thanks for the info. But still, can I not select a particular application and command "Ask"? Maybe I would like to see how often a program tries to connect somewhere or vice versa, just to know that.

• Niels
    Options

Hello C-1000

If you want that BitDefender firewall always ask you for confirmation do this: go to the firewall section in BitDefender and put the slider on ask. Are you using internet security or antivirus plus?

Regards

Niels

• Hello C-1000

If you want that BitDefender firewall always ask you for confirmation do this: go to the firewall section in BitDefender and put the slider on ask. Are you using internet security or antivirus plus?

Regards

Niels

Thanks, I'm using Internet Security. I had put the whole Whitelist on "ask" status, but still saw a direct connect with winword.exe in Traffic section when looking for something else. Maybe it's possible that I got asked and saw "Microsoft," in the source area, and clicked Allow, thinking it was an update on XP. Where do you see WHAT the access is all about (updating Winword, which it has no business doing, or updating XP)?

I have a pet peeve about buying and installing software programs, and then finding this "clinging" relationship between it and its home site, whether Microsoft or other. Once I buy it and install software applications that I use, as far as I'm concerned, its only job is to be on my computer and perform its job... not be carrying on an ongoing "chat room" with its home site or anywhere else. That's just too invasive. Obviously "on the fly" computer security needs that flexibility, but nothing else should.

• Niels
    Options

Hello C-1000

If you have enabled the option to send error reports to windows that could be the reason why word contacted the internet. What you can do is make 2 rules for winword.exe one for tcp and one for udp where you deny outbond connection. If a rule is created you will not find information about it in the events. If a new program makes connection you will see some brief information in a pop-up with the source. But after you made your decission BitDefender will not inform you anymore.

I totally agree with you. Almost every microsoft application sends information back. There are some tools where you can disable "the calling home option" that many microsoft application uses.

Regards

Niels

• Hello C-1000

If you have enabled the option to send error reports to windows that could be the reason why word contacted the internet. What you can do is make 2 rules for winword.exe one for tcp and one for udp where you deny outbond connection. If a rule is created you will not find information about it in the events. If a new program makes connection you will see some brief information in a pop-up with the source. But after you made your decission BitDefender will not inform you anymore.

I totally agree with you. Almost every microsoft application sends information back. There are some tools where you can disable "the calling home option" that many microsoft application uses.

Regards

Niels

Hi Niels--

Thanks. I went to Main Console, Firewall, Traffic. There it is shown as "Deny" in both directions. But TPC is only listed. I next went to the lower right part of the screen where there's a button "Edit Profiles" and it was there that I saw two sections, one for TCP and one for UDP. Both said Deny, but then also there's a column "Allow Connection..." and both say Yes.

Here's what I understand about it (easier than telling what I don't, LOL).

TCP seems to mean Incoming?

UDP seems to mean Outgoing?

Period.

So how does a profile differ from a rule? I'm guessing the rule-setting defines the profile. But if so, why does the Profile for that program say "Yes" under "Allow Connection"?

Additionally...

You also said two other things I don't know where to find.

1) Where would I find the Enable/Disable option to send error reports? It seems every time a program is not responding, I get an option to send an error report that I can click Send/Don't send, but is there somewhere I can just make it so that it simply doesn't send error reports?

2) What are the tools you referred to where one can disable the "calling home" option? And would those tools work with pretty much any software application, or just Microsoft ones?

I know that's several questions, but it would be really helpful if I could get all this straight.

Thanks in advance,

Carol

• Niels
    Options

Hello C-1000

A profile contains all the rules that you have made. So normally when in a rule you deny the connection you should find it also when you choose edit profile. Set it on deny. Are you sure that you selected the correct profile? The profile you created first to get access to the internet.

TCP: This is the most common standard and is securer than UDP. incoming as outgoing

UDP: is only used by some applications mostly for streaming media,games. incoming and outgoing

1)Here you will how to do that: http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_...erver-2003.html

2) Safexp you can download it here: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4070.html This tool is more for microsoft programs. But this program isn't updated anymore since 2005.

Regards

Niels