Bad Update Or....? - Solution Here: Http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=18789

Comments

• Can tell what to do with those quarantine files?

The software will recover by itself?

• how are ppl having multiple virus signatures and engine versions?

If you are using BitDefender Total Security 2010 everyone using that program regardless of x64 x86 should have the same data.

Again my info is as follows for those using BitDefender Total Security 2010:

Virus Signatures: 5494846

Engine Version: 7.30855

And I just did another update and it stated there is a 970Kb file for downlod, doesn't download it and still reports to me that it is updated.

I am really starting to not like BitDefender.

• Hey guys, I got the update done and everything fixed. But I still have the quaratined files on BD. Can i restart my pc now and delete the quarantined items on BD? PLease reply. Thanks!

• Small errors and mistakes here and there are normal, but an epic failure like this should NEVER happen, the ###### thing screws up the entire OS which forces some people to REFORMAT, IT savvy people would not have any problems, but how about those average users who bought the product thinking that he/she is protected? They would have to send their PCs to technicians, this costs them time and money, not to mention data losses that could be priceless.

Its like a bank suddenly makes an error and deleted your account with all of your money in it, and than just says "hey guys, problem fixed, those who are affected, we're sorry for your loss" and continues working. How would you feel?

This is a fcukup an anti-virus should NEVER EVER MAKE. I have just lost my trust on BitDefender.

Of course it SHOULD NEVER HAVE HAPPENED. How about you go in your car and a truck enters through your windshield, it should never have happened. Guess what, youre death.

Srsly I know it's a big mistake, but in the back some people may have screwed up by acting cluelessly about this because I acted how I should and I have minimal damage.

• omg plz tell me i dont have to reformat and lose everything over this!pllllzzzz

You almost certainly have not lost everything. Please don't panic. See my other posts. Your documents are there, if you reformat, they won't be anymore!

This is what I was afraid of. Most of the real damage will happen because of users who either act rashly in the moment or are at that technical level where they know how to reformat/reinstall but not how to get in there and get their files first. A lot of people are going to do that, I'm afraid, when they could have been patient and not lost much but some time.

• C:\ProgramData\BitDefender\Desktop\Quarantine

Good Luck... you must know where to move...

Many thanks. Anyways I went there and I just have BDQ files and XML Docs. I thought I was actually suppose to have files in there?

• OMG! Same problem here Windows 7 x64

I have loss my documents...everything! Bitdefender delete my system files!!!

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=2njztwm&s=5

• Hi all

I have the same problem, but I’m using Bullguard antivirus <_<

Windows 7, 64 bit

I managed to roll back, using “restore your Computer to an earlier time”, and then I uninstalled the Bullguard antivirus program.

• The Win7 "Windows Restore" seems to have made my system usable again. Now to uninstall BitDefender - the worst malware I've ever had!

Wish me luck...

• mahyar
    edited March 2010

I have:

Virus signatures: 5474032

Engine version: 7.30848

What do you do with quarantine files that already have a file with the same name in its place?

• For some reason, I can't edit the post I made on page 15, but wanted to add...

Running the repair process WILL delete your list of quarantined files!

So make sure and try to Restore them all before rebooting and maybe having to run the BitDefender repair process because it didn't start up correctly.

• Let me be the first to congratulate bitdefender on doing such an amazing job

Well done guys, i thought bitdefender was supposed to protect our pcs, not kill it

Had those annoyin pop ups again and again , tried to launch MSWORD----said somethin abt reinstalling the software

Restarted my pc and then tried again, it did launch, but now bitdefender is dead, showing a grey screen

Now wht do ??????????????????

• You almost certainly have not lost everything. Please don't panic. See my other posts. Your documents are there, if you reformat, they won't be anymore!

This is what I was afraid of. Most of the real damage will happen because of users who either act rashly in the moment or are at that technical level where they know how to reformat/reinstall but not how to get in there and get their files first. A lot of people are going to do that, I'm afraid, when they could have been patient and not lost much but some time.

Finally, someone that knows what happened to people with major damage.

• You almost certainly have not lost everything. Please don't panic. See my other posts. Your documents are there, if you reformat, they won't be anymore!

Any advice on how to save my son's laptop data? It won't boot into safe mode, normal mode, or restore to a previous good configuration....won't boot at all. Says it's missing a kernel

• What about copying C:\ProgramData\BitDefender\Desktop\Quarantine

to another location and re-installing bit defender than moving the C:\ProgramData\BitDefender\Desktop\Quarantine

back to it's origional spot, would that work? or risk loosing all quarantined files?

• paulortega
    edited March 2010

BD - please don't to a "Toyota".

If you haven't yet, please put a FAQ file on your home page with the problem deescription and resolutions (plural since there are multiple types of problems)

1. Describe symptoms and what update caused it. My system showed an update at 9:32 AM PST to 5494847/730848 level that caused the problem. It would be nice if you were open about this so we confirm we have the specific problem. Tell people how to get the update level (esp. for hte newbs).

2. Confirm Trojan is really not installed on the PC

3. Tell people to IMMEDIATELY to disable the AV component and how to do that (esp. for the newbs)

4. Tell people NOT to re-boot or reformat. Tell them to run update and if that does not work (ex. updater is quarantined), give them an alternate way to get this done

6. Confirm the correct new level: 5474032/730848

7. Tell people how to handle moving files back out of quarantine.. ex. should we replace existing files if they got re-created by Windows

My decision whether to stay with BD or not depends on your integrity and how you handle this crisis.

How do I restore all these hundreds of quarantined files?A system restore?Or any other idea?

• Hm....not all ppl technically understand what to do when in such situation....it should default handle well by the software itself. So i think better not to do anything first and don't restart.

• hey guys bit defender team, make a file or some thing to get these quarantine files ... your current update fixing your program not fixing our windows ...

• I am running Windows 7 64 bit and I am having the same issues w/ bitdefender. I am hoping that I am able to retrieve the files it tagged as I ignored any action and did not quaritine or delete anything (fingers crossed).

• Mobius5150
    edited March 2010

Ok,

Edit: Bitdefender is working on a fix that can be downloaded to restore all quarentined files and fix Bitdefender. After your computer is botting up, i would suggest you download this fix if it is available.

I woke up this morning with two computers going haywire. I also restarted both of the computers to find that windows would no longer login. If this has happened to you, then I suggest that:

If you have Windows 7 (May work for vista users as well):

1. Turn on your computer. If you see a prompt asking you if you would like to repair your computer, select it using the up and down arrows on your keyboard, and hit enter when it is selected.
    2. Allow the repair utility to start.
    3. Allow the repair utility to run, if it asks you if you would like to restore the computer, click Yes or Restore Computer. It will work and tell you to restart your computer.
    4. Restart.
    5. As your computer restarts. after the BIOS screen (Usually a screen showing your computer brand or motherboard brand) disapears, his the "F8" key untill you see a black and white prompt. Select the "Safe Mode with Networking" option, and allow the computer to start. It will start in a low graphics mode, and will look a bit different. This is temporary.
    6. Once the computer starts, open your browser and navigate to this URL: http://www.bitdefender.com/site/view/Deskt...ts-Updates.html
    7. Select the appropriate option. I believe i read somewhere that the only systems affected by this are 64bit, not sure though.
    8. Download and install the update. If it does not work, then restart your computer and let it boot normally, rerun the update or redownload it. In the meantime, open bitdefender by clicking the red bitdefender logo and the bottom right of your screen, click settings at the top right of the windows, and disable the antivirus scanner.
    9. Once your computer has updated, either through the manual or automatic update, re-enable all the bitdefender options that were disabled.
    10. To restore your quarentined files, Open the bitdefender window, open the settings windows and select change UI to Expert Mode, open the Antivirus Window and open the quarentine tab. Click "Settings" and make sure "Scan Quarentined Files after update" is enabled as well as the box below it. If you still have quarentined files after forcing another update (Click the bitdefender icon and select update now) then you can click a file in the window, hit Ctrl+A on your keyboard to select all, and choose restore. For those files that already exist (giving an error) simply create a folder on your desktop, select "Browse" on the window and save them there, allowing the operation to complete.
    11. I myself am in the process of doing this, and it should all work in theory, ill post corrections of necessary.

If step two above does not work, then insert your windows CD, restart the computer, and when it says "Press any key to boot from CD/DVD" mash buttons untill it starts. Hit next when the window appears after selecting your language (default options work for most) and then click the repair button in the bottom left hand corner. Follow the above steps starting from #3.

If this process does not work, or you arent comfortable doing it, then i suggest you bring your computer to a local technician to fix it. DO NOT reinstall windows and reformat your computer or you will lose all files and settings. A computer technician will be able to rescue your files if you cant get your computer to start.

Only programs are affected by this. Your files and folders are still there, also most programs save data as seperate files, therefore nothing should be lost in the hands of a computer technician[/] or if you are able to fix your computer without reformatting.

Hopefully this helps some.

-Mike

-------------

The above post has absolutely no warranty, express or implied. Im sorry if it doesnt work for you, but theres not much i can do from here.

_________

• how to RESTORE QUARANTINED files, if i only can start the command promt included in the win7 repair funktion?!?
  • I can't watch movies or listen to music due to the apparent loss of drivers.

Very special ones apparently because updating my codecs wasn't enough

• 7. Tell people how to handle moving files back out of quarantine.. ex. should we replace existing files if they got re-created by Windows

Thats what I would like to know right now...

• The only function I can do is a manual scan, that is all. it's as far as bit defender opens ......

• 1) How can you get the update, for those who could get it ?

When I try to download it I can't because of a Trojan alert. Then it freezes my Firefox and I need to open it back.

• A fix for the update system will be posted to our KB soon and that should repair the update system as to allow you to repair BitDefender and restore your files from quarantine.

Please bear a little longer. A revert has been uploaded and some of the users have already received it.

Here's to hoping this post doesn't get buried before five users read it.

• I just installed the update but now it says Bitdefender services are no responding. Is it safe to restart? Or will I lose all the files it quarantined?

• What I find absolutely impossible to believe is that we are bitdefender customers, on a bitdefender forum, which we know is currently being watched by bitdefender technical staff and we are asking for help and advice and are getting NOTHING in response.

BITDEFENDER TECHINCAL SUPPORT - PLEASE TAKE 5 MINUTES OUT TO GIVE SOME CONCISE INSTRUCTIONS ON WHAT TO DO AND WHAT NOT TO DO. JUST TELLING PEOPLE TO DOWNLOAD THE UPDATE ISN'T ENOUGH.

OK - you've f***** up. But PLEASE help restore some confidence by supporting your customers who are on here asking for help!

• manos
    edited March 2010

I keep on pressing on "Update Now" then it checks for Updates but it returns with nothing.

Does this mean that the update is not yet available to some of us????

• Ok BitDefender Technical Support -

Many people have downloaded the new patch by now and have stopped BitDefender from its task of quarantining every file on their system.

The question remains: how do we safely restore the hundreds+ files that have been quarantined so that we can get back to doing work, playing games, looking at Facebook, etc...?

It is safe to click "OK" in response to "A file with the same name already exists?

• im sure its been said but its worth repeating and in my opinion should be pinned to the top of this forum or on the main page of this AND BitDefender's primary website:

DURING THE Trojan.FakeAlert.5 issue, DO NOT TURN OFF OR REBOOT YOUR COMPUTER!

• I just installed the update but now it says Bitdefender services are no responding. Is it safe to restart? Or will I lose all the files it quarantined?

I am at this point as well.

• A fix for the update system will be posted to our KB soon and that should repair the update system as to allow you to repair BitDefender and restore your files from quarantine.

Please bear a little longer. A revert has been uploaded and some of the users have already received it.

So it won't get buried.

• My BD does't open at all. Am I completely F***ed?

• so... since i'm heavily brainstorming here and haven't got a faintest idea what the fuc* i'm going to do to salvage comp. numero three in the room next to mine... here's a quick rant...

about an hour ago i get the same shi* on screen as most of you did... surfed a couple of sites, ended up in rome (bitdefender's respectable online forum community) in search for some answers. yadda yadda yadda, my first action when the marvelous piece of software stumbles upon a virus on my oh-so-beloved 'puter is to disinfect it and then quarantine it. needles to say, i prevailed as most of you did, didn't restart my computer, watched this wonderful thread rise to epic proportions in a matter of minutes and ended up snatching that lifeline piece of an update that seemed to fix all my worries on such a gloomy and almost-rainy saturday here on adriatic coast. so, here i am with a dozen files in quarantine, all of which were replaced by windows already and i can only hope that during my next restart the computer will actually boot with no problem whatsoever. e.o.d., no damage done, i can go out and get ###### drunk tonight or spend the night happily playing away my guitars while listening to some obscure seventies prog? mmm... oh please tell me i will! you see... i only have to get off of my ###### and pass through two doors, enter the room next to mine and sit behind another computer which i so wonderfully assembled myself a month ago, installed win7 ultimate 64bit and 1 of 5 (yup, you've read it!) licenses i've purchased around new year's, all of which are supposed to protect my pcs for the next 3 years... so, once i'm in that room i can watch bitdefender happily putting away hundreds, if not thousands of files to quarantine. and there's not a jack shi* i can do about it... first, i normally wouldn't even bother to get off of my ###### and walk to the other comp, i'd just connect to it by means of dameware, remote desktop connection or logmein... but... as you all can imagine, right now, i'm having minor difficulties doing so. i can't stop or start any application, let alone configure bitdefender, my mouse of course isn't working anymore cause a bunch of processes have been disabled (svchost among others) by our oh-so-reliable bitdefender. i can go for miles like this... but... i won't... so... before i pull the plug on that computer and start installing windows from the ground up, any ideas? i highly doubt system restore can help me out here because there are too many files moved to quarantine... bitdefender won't update itself (it can't, it probably killed its own update process)... and i really have no other ideas.

i might as well post this and check out a couple of hundred new posts which are probably being written as i'm typing this...

...and yes, bitdefender, thank you for inspiring me to write such a valuable literary work of art.

• Excuse me, that is supposed to do what ? It just looks like a download site for BitDefender applications. My computer is toast - because of the latest update from Bitdefender. How am I to install anything on my laptop when I can't boot it up in any way ? Is BitDefender going to pay the person who has to clean out this mess for me ? This is very discouraging

• 3) I don't understand why people say they can't restore 10000 files one by one. Hasn't anyone tried to use the "shift" key to select all files at once? I mean... duhhh!

As soon as it hits a file that it can't restore it stops all other files restoring. I just hod to go through all 15,000+ files restoring one after the other, selecting a block of a few now and again but mostly that didn't work. All remaining files in quarantine, apparently, already exist. So I'm now going to run a back of my data (documents, save games, pictures etc) to my external HDD before running the update "fix" I downloaded.

• right well i have windows 7 x64 and got BD total security 2010 trial and its moved everything to guarentee and now my laptop won't turn so how do i update it and i cant reset windows because the boot options wont come up, please reply

regards

curtis

• lol, I just formated my computer so I'm fine with everything at the moment.

Was quite a hassle to get rid of though. I do however strongly recommend switching away from BitDefender.

Horrible customer service.

• Same problem here , Bitdefender suite 64bit and Windows 7 64Bit , after a update all my file is moved in quarantine and i can't boot in Windows! Don't work a safe mode too! Tell me who can restore all my quarantine file in dos mode pls!

• im running win 7 64bit all i did was do a bitdefender repair via the bitdefender folder in the start menu as i had the same problem with the fakealert.5 it updated then the vsserv.exe vanished and bitdefender stopped responding so i did the repair and its working fine now hoped this helped

Catalin, So what I took from that, is even though I cannot open Bit defender except a manual scan. And the previous fix cannot help me; Bit defender is confident it can restore my system it made only semi usable at best?

Where would you download this revert? Are you talking about this:

http://www.bitdefender.com/site/view/Deskt...ts-Updates.html

?

Please Catalin...no acronyms. Keep it simple. What does KB stand for and provide a means of getting there...perhaps a link.

There are many of us who arent in your industry and are novices

• Is this the latest update?

post-32205-1269114448_thumb.png

• I think we're on our own. BD employees must of abandoned ship; managers raided the safes, on their way to Costa Rica; execs didn't care, haven't cared, and won't care.

• Please Catalin...no acronyms. Keep it simple. What does KB stand for and provide a means of getting there...perhaps a link.

There are many of us who arent in your industry and are novices

KB= Knowledge Base

• right well i have windows 7 x64 and got BD total security 2010 trial and its moved everything to guarentee and now my laptop won't turn so how do i update it and i cant reset windows because the boot options wont come up, please reply

regards

curtis