Bad Update Or....? - Solution Here: Http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=18789

Comments

• This is appalling.

Silly me. I figured that I was actually infected from a program I just installed this morning, ran a full scan, then followed the instructions in BitDefender, to allow it to quarantine all the files -- 9000 some if I recall rightly. It told me to reboot to finish the process, and, surprise! I couldn't reboot because BitDefender had quarantined too many things in the OS.

I just reinstalled Vista because I couldn't get it up with last know good configuration, in safe mode or anything else.

Thank you BitDefneder for scaring me half to death and wasting my day. At least my data files aren't gone. I think.

And they are "sorry for the inconvenience." Well, I hope they are sorry enough to at least offer a year's free subscription to those of us who got burned today.

• To all of you guys, I'm here becoz I'm suffering of the same issue, for those who was unable to get back their files... I recommend that you guys get Hiren CD 10... which will allow you to retrieve your lost files using ontrack recovery program before using the format option & re-installation.

for those who was able to restore files from quarantine successfully i recommend that you guys stop all Bit-defender services, backup all your files.

this might help you to be in a good position until the fix is done.

• Sorry to stuff this thread even more but I have "first re-boot since the f'up" news.

After restoring all the quarantine files I could and making back-ups of my data I then ran the BD update then re-booted. Straight away I get this message:

Winlogon.exe - Bad Image

C:\Windows\System32\KBDUK.DLL

contains an error.

It still re-booted though but just as the Vista loading bar should appear I get this message:

System32/drivers/pciide.sys missing.

Tried Last Known Good Configuration, doesn't work.

Now I can't even boot of my Vista DVD to repair it. Went into BIOS to set the boot sequence but it won't boot from the DVD drive. Now I'm f'ked.

• So should I try to restore the quarantined files or just leave them there?

• IMPORTANT FIX

Ok Kids here we go,

I could not open bit defender, i could not restore.

I saved my Quarantine Items located here : C:\ProgramData\BitDefender\Desktop\Quarantine * Hidden Folders* make sure they are visable.

I un installed BD - Re-Installed BD

Said NO to updates. Best to turn your network off.

Rebooted PC as directed for fresh BD install

Copied Quarantine Items I have saved, to new empty Quarantine folder, BAM thier thier. Started restoring them as we speak. After Restore, update BD.

Dano out

You know a 90% of people can't access to the system?! Who restore , reinstall , unistall BD IF CAN'T ACCESS IN WINDOWS??????

• Sorry to stuff this thread even more but I have "first re-boot since the f'up" news.

After restoring all the quarantine files I could and making back-ups of my data I then ran the BD update then re-booted. Straight away I get this message:

Winlogon.exe - Bad Image

contains an error.

It still re-booted though but just as the Vista loading bar should appear I get this message:

Now I can't even boot of my Vista DVD to repair it. Went into BIOS to set the boot sequence but it won't boot from the DVD drive. Now I'm f'ked.

D May, your not alone my friend! Same boat as you! sigh

• So should I try to restore the quarantined files or just leave them there?

Restore those files.

• This is appalling.

Silly me. I figured that I was actually infected from a program I just installed this morning, ran a full scan, then followed the instructions in BitDefender, to allow it to quarantine all the files -- 9000 some if I recall rightly. It told me to reboot to finish the process, and, surprise! I couldn't reboot because BitDefender had quarantined too many things in the OS.

I just reinstalled Vista because I couldn't get it up with last know good configuration, in safe mode or anything else.

Thank you BitDefneder for scaring me half to death and wasting my day. At least my data files aren't gone. I think.

And they are "sorry for the inconvenience." Well, I hope they are sorry enough to at least offer a year's free subscription to those of us who got burned today.

Agree

• WE CANNOT LOGIN I SEE ONLY A BLACK SCREEN ... get it ???

This was't for black screen people a** H*** . If you can't do these steps than what was your first clue they don't pertain to you?

• My system(win 7 ultimate x64) just fixed it self ( failed to boot but auto-repair worked). So far it seems everything works, I updated BD but my virus signatures says 5474032 and engine version is still 7.30848. No new updates available. Still have all those files in the quarantine ( just those I couldn't restore). Now, the big question is, is it safe to remove them from quarantine, or should I wait for the patch?

I guess the solution is not that trivial since BD team still doesn't have it.

• Hello all,

Please read this article for information on how to restore Windows.

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=18789

I also need to know what version of BitDefender are you running and on which operating system.

It is very important to know if it's a 32 or a 64 bit system.

Thank you.

• Do I get this right that I was lucky only the files loaded into memory got quarantined?

If the computer was running for a longer time and went into complete system scan, BD would have quarantined (or in worst case even removed) every single file it would have checked?

Winlogon.exe - Bad Image

contains an error.

You should try to manually restore this file using system recovery console.... or by using repair installation.

• @brockwilliams, andre1990, holymoly, TheBigPJ

There is no need to wait for a patch to fix the quarantine restore error messages, there won't be one soon, since it is by (bad) design.

The 2 error boxes you get when restoring quarantined files are normal.

The first error box asks you if it's OK to overwrite the duplicate files, answer yes or no, it shouldn't matter (I answered yes) because they aren't actual duplicate files, only duplicate file name entries (after Windows restored these files on its own). Make sure the checkbox to apply this answer to all matching items is selected.

The second error box says it couldn't find such a file in such a path, which is also normal as the file was already restored for the first entry. I selected "Cancel", no need to "Browse".

Or something like that.

Still no mention of Trojan.FakeAlert.5 in BD Press Center home page, this is seriously bad PR...

Thank GOD! I have been waiting for someone to comment on this exact issue! I have scoured the thread from top to bottom and several, including myself have this issue and didnt know how to deal with it...finally. Thanks. i hope it works. HUGELY disappointing that the answer didnt come from a BitDefender representative.... HUGE failure.

Thanks Chimel

• This is a serious liability. Sad this happened.

Hopefully this wont create too much legal chaos.

• When I try to restore the files I get told there is already a file with that name that exists, do I want to overwrite it. I say yes and then get:

FAILED TO FIND THE SPECIFIC PATH. PLEASE REVIEW THE PREVIOUS OPERATION AND TRY AGAIN.

C:\Windows\System32\en-US\

So, now what do I do?

• Hello all,

I also need to know what version of BitDefender are you running and on which operating system.

Thank you.

I'm running Windows7 on a 64bit system.

There is no need to wait for a patch to fix the quarantine restore error messages, there won't be one soon, since it is by (bad) design.

The first error box asks you if it's OK to overwrite the duplicate files, answer yes or no, it shouldn't matter (I answered yes) because they aren't actual duplicate files, only duplicate file name entries (after Windows restored these files on its own). Make sure the checkbox to apply this answer to all matching items is selected.

The second error box says it couldn't find such a file in such a path, which is also normal as the file was already restored for the first entry. I selected "Cancel", no need to "Browse".

Or something like that.

Hmm, I just tried that, but when I hit "Cancel", it dropped me back in the quarantine list with all of the same files there. I double-checked, just trying to restore one file, and found that it remained in the list. So it looks like the "Cancel" button (understandably) cancels the restore process. So it looks like the suggested fix doesn't work, at least for me.

+1 to what so many people are saying about BitDefender's handling of this situation; making a mistake is one thing, but their customer communication has been amateurish at best.

• still no alert on the romanian page

still no answer on the e-mail for the signaled problem.

What could then do a common homw user, without techical skills, who just bought a computer for accessing web and media services, somewhere in the large world.

This would be the day when Romania left the Western part of the world without Internet and NetTV???

• Doesn't even work for me... I got 5 computers in my house (4 with BitDefender) 2 is COMPLETELY DEAD, 1 is HALF-DEAD, I saved one without this.

In the End, I only have 2 computers...

GREAT !!!!

Bad humour !

• I turned my PC on in safe mode and repaired. I Feel bad for people who aren't as lucky. Wish you luck. I don't feel safe anymore and am definantly switching Antivirus!!!!!
  • This was't for black screen people a** H*** . If you can't do these steps than what was your first clue they don't pertain to you?

Is better u close your mouth with your stupid usless fix! Here a peaple LOSE all file and you come here to write this ######? GO AWAY!

WHERE IS A PATCH????

• vitamineg
    edited March 2010

BitDefender version 13.0.18 (thats after the latest patch for Trojan.FakeAlert.5)

64 bit system

Windows 7

• Hello all,

Thank you.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Bitdefender Internet security 13.0.19

• I RESTORE NOW GUYS i will tell u in a minute for results ...

Importan u mast have restore point

I press F8 to get the Menu->pres the "first tab" (not safe mode) and start the auto fix windows then pres recover and thnx god the find a restore point

LOL but right now i get failed to restore system haha ... i dont believe it

• Hello all

When I try to restore the quarantined files, BitDefender first complains that "A file with the same name already exists." When I click "OK" to confirm the replacement, BitDefender complains that it cannot find the specified path.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Is there a fix / workaround?

• I RESTORE NOW GUYS i will tell u in a minute for results ...

Importan u mast have restore point

I press F8 to get the Menu->pres the "first tab" (not safe mode) and start the auto fix windows then pres recover and thnx god the find a restore point

LOL but right now i get failed to restore system haha ... i dont believe it

I really don't think it's a good idea for any one to reboot their computer unless a certain solution has been provided ... however if anyone would like to do so, you guys must back up your files then..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• D May, your not alone my friend! Same boat as you! sigh

Okay, changed BIOS so that the only boot device was my DVD drive (disabled the HDD). Then re-booted off the Vista disc. Clicked on Repair Windows, only took about 30 seconds and then I re-booted, put back the HDD as second boot device and re-booted again. Waited until it boot off the HDD and Vista starts and is now back on however there were two error messages at the login screen (though I don't actually log in with a password). Same message when I shut it down:

Winlogon.exe - Bad Image

Not designed to run on Windows or contains an error.

Clicked OK on that and then some random error full of giberish. Apart from that everything else seems normal. Anybody got any idead what KBDUK.DLL is and is there a way to fix this without going all the way with a full re-install of Vista?

BTW the other file pciide.sys sounds like it could be an abreviation of PC SUICIDE. :huh:

• Nickadimus
    edited March 2010

Oh my.... oh MY!!! I have spent the whole day, re-installing my OS because of this false-positive fake trojan! My girlfriend and I broke up, and all in all its been a crap day. Thanks to Bit Defender - piece of sh*yte software.

I left her in my room to check email and surf the web for 20 minutes and came back to find the mother of all ###### sh*yte storms breaking loose on my PC. Nothing would work. Couldn't backup or save any of the data on my OS partition. Naturally I blamed her lack on incompetence in browsing the web. After tears (hers) and loads of fighting I was left to salvage what was left of my PC and spend the next 7 hours attempting to fix the problem. This problem wasn't even posted on their webiste as a news item. Needless to say, Another AV saved the day. Next renewal, I'm tea-bagging Bit Defender.

• How can we restore quarantined items in the trial version ???????????
  • NEWBIE HERE! NOT A TECHIE. We have the Shield Deluxe AV it is giving us the same thing and we cannot stop it from quarant. everything. Tried all the fixes still comes back up with same problem. Can't get into any programs. Control panel won't open, System restore won't work. F8 safe mode doesn't help. Can't delete AV software. Heard that SD is the same as BD. Computer is screwed up, and the only reason my LP is not is that the updater flips out and won't auto update, thankfully. All of your fixes won't work and haven't!!!! WHAT NOW, how do we get our desktop back?????? Vista user.

• BitDefender Internet Security 2010 (x64)

Version 13.0.19

Win7 Ultimate x64

Or something like that.

Still no mention of Trojan.FakeAlert.5 in BD Press Center home page, this is seriously bad PR...

AFTER TRYING TO RESTORE THE FILES MOVED QUARANTINE...AS YOU SUGGESTED

I ALSO DID THE 'UPDATE' TO BITDEFENDER...

STILL HAVE NO RESPONSE FROM USB MOUSE OR EXTERNAL DRIVES FOR BACKING UP DATA.

ANY SUGGESTIONS...??

• Hello all,

Thank you.

DON'T WORK! You understand?! Do you think we are stupid!?

When try to restore a operating system , a restore repair says don't found any problem!

• My system(win 7 ultimate x64) just fixed it self ( failed to boot but auto-repair worked). So far it seems everything works, I updated BD but my virus signatures says 5474032 and engine version is still 7.30848. No new updates available. Still have all those files in the quarantine ( just those I couldn't restore). Now, the big question is, is it safe to remove them from quarantine, or should I wait for the patch?

My 64 bit Vista system eventually repaired itself after a number of attempts. It eventually worked when it ran from the boot screen, prior to Windows loading any files. Other notes:

I did a system restore which appeared to work.

Windows would not start after the restore.

Repeated startup repairs by Windows wouldn't work.

Recovery of quarantined files by BD was a total failure. If oyu have thousands of such files I would not recommend manual recovery!

• Still waiting for BD techs to say how to do when we can't download the fix because BD can't be runned anymore

• I just talked to BitDefender technical support and I was told that this was caused by an actual virus, not a bad patch. Has anyone else heard this?

Nickadimus - I am sorry to hear about your crappy day in addition to this!

• Hello all

When I try to restore the quarantined files, BitDefender first complains that "A file with the same name already exists." When I click "OK" to confirm the replacement, BitDefender complains that it cannot find the specified path.

Cristi! help with this if you know...any response would be informative...even if you dont know the answer! thanks

• theworlock
    edited March 2010
    My system(win 7 ultimate x64) just fixed it self ( failed to boot but auto-repair worked). So far it seems everything works, I updated BD but my virus signatures says 5474032 and engine version is still 7.30848. No new updates available. Still have all those files in the quarantine ( just those I couldn't restore). Now, the big question is, is it safe to remove them from quarantine, or should I wait for the patch?

my system works fine just rebooted my computer .... im running windows 7 ultimate 64 bit and bitdefender after words it dosent seem to find the virus and ran anti spyware appz after must be a bitdefender bug or glitch in the programming cause it was a fake and tried to quarintine the computer files for no valid reason

• Hello all

Yup, you're not the only one. Hopefully BD will post a workaround soon.

• In Romania is the same problem .. http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=18773 , my computer was completely dead , i had tot reinstall my windows and all programs .. :( .. I don't feel safe anymore

• Hello all,

Thank you.

Windows 7 64-Bit

Bitdefender 2010

I think it's already been established from WAY earlier on in the thread that the affected operating systems are both 64-bit versions of Windows 7 & Windows Vista.

That much we already know. What needs to be filled in is how Bitdefender plans on solving this more thoroughly. This has to be, by far, the BIGGEST screw up from an Internet Security company in the history of the IT security sector and, as many people as it's affecting worldwide, you guys need to handle this with more attentiveness than your company has been showing thus far.

• YOU PEOPLE FAIL TO REALIZE THAT THIS COULD HAPPEN ON ANY ANTIVIRUS SOFTWARE.

Dont' believe me?? Search youtube for fakealert and you will come across some videos about OTHER antiviruses with the same problems!

Youtube? I didn't realize that's where you're supposed to go for cutting edge tech information. I thought it was mostly lame home videos. Thanks for the tip.

• Hello all

yes i am experiencing this as well.

I was willing to give Bitdefender the benefit of the doubt but i am furious right now. Their response to this crisis has been abysmal. This company is finished. By the end of next week the world will say Bitdefender will be as popular as pedofilia

• Hello all

BUMP

many are having this issue... BD we need a response

• The same happens to me today. BitDefender went Crazy and put on Quarantine at least one hundred files, all of them belonging to Windows 7, Microsoft programs and even BitDefender itself. These action caused a total collapse of all the systems and made imposible turn on the computer again, even in safe mode. This was a major and Unprecedented event in my computer (And I guess in anybody computer). !! What is going On !!.

After several reparation process intents peformed by the Operative Systems, finally the always blessed option to restore was available and I Apply it. The system was restored and recovered it. After that, I went inmediatly to disable the real time protection in BitDefender before could do more damages. So, the system is working now but I am With Out Antivirus Protection and I have all those files in Quarantine which I don't know if they should be restored or Should I keep the older restore files instead.

I also would like to know what is the cause of this dangerous behavior, How can I fix inmediatly it to be able to activate the real time protection again and if it will be prevented from happen again in the future.

• When i log in it goes to a black page, ive tried the F8 it doesnt work. what d i do next. Im just thankful ive got a laptop with out BD instaled think of thoe poor people who dont know why this is happening

• Youtube? I didn't realize that's where you're supposed to go for cutting edge tech information. I thought it was mostly lame home videos. Thanks for the tip.

As sarcastic as that comment sounds, you'd actually be quite suprised what kind of technical info and even assistance that you can find on Youtube. It can be almost as helpful as google itself when it comes to researching something.

• BUMP

many are having this issue... BD we need a response

My computer is working fine now with files still in quarantine that I can't get out. Do we need to even bother or leave it as it is?

• HOW TO RESTORE QUARANTINED FILES WHEN I HAVE REINSTALLED BIT DEFENDER ?