Bad Update Or....? - Solution Here: Http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=18789

Comments

• I bet that will work :P

NOT FOR ALL USERS

• My Windows XP i386 is not booting anymore... It's giving me a blue screen the time I restarted it (I restarted it because the harddisk was in infinite loop and system not responding.... Even CTR ALT DELETE didn't work!!!!) Bitdefender was a disaster for me!!!! I am not able to boot in safe mode... I am not able to boot with last known working version... All ways lead to Dumping physical memory to disk (ie. blue screen)... My registry is screwed!!!

Thanks a lot bitdefender!!!

We are deeply sorry for this situation.

To fix this please follow the steps from this KB article:

http://www.bitdefender.com/site/KnowledgeBase/consumer/#638

Cristi.

• Hi, i managed to make my Win 7 64bit working without repairing, 90% is working fine.

Some things though are not working preoperly, IE 8 will not download anymore, chrome installer can't find a .dll file, video driver is causing some problems in 3D apps, etc. mostly beacuse they can't fine a specific file (library file), so until i cannot restore all my quarantined files i can't make it work like it is suposed to do.

I don't have a restore point, i usualy disable it (Win XP is the cause of this) so i hava a question, do i wait for the patch you will provide or reinstall all all over again?

• I think even Norton had a problem like this at one time not sure of the details but, it's understandable why there's such a negative outburst to this.

I'm just saying at least we know they are working on it and that at least is some assurance. : )

• Bigchess
    edited March 2010
    NOT FOR ALL USERS

Think about it. Computer will not boot normally. Then your going to try system restore from safe mode? Good luck.(It may work but not when the last system restore FAILED.) Heck, try it what do you have to lose when your internet security turns on you :P Also, it was only for bitdestroyer NOT EVERYONE.

• Solutions for people who cannot boot

I have decided to go ahead and remove my hard drive and use a dock and connect it to my Netbook and recover my personal data (400+ GB of data)

I guess reformatting is my only option.

I see 2 options for everyone who cannot boot

1. Backup your data like I am or take it to a local computer repair shop and have them do it, and try to have BitDefender pay for it. I feel they are liable for releasing a faulty update. If you buy a car that spontaneously combusted if you go 60mph the car maker is liable for damages.

2. If the immediate use of your computer is more important then your data, do a system restore and flam BitDefender till the day you die, or they do.

Good tip. After all that reformatting will you reinstall this AV.? I'm still waiting awhile untill this settles completely. This makes me think back when NVIDIA screwed up with their drivers and made BBQ pits of peoples GPU's.

• I am using the Shield Deluxe which has BitDefender in it...this is what my updates are:

Virus Signatures: 5474485

Engine Version: 7.30852

I just told it to update, again...this is what it comes up with...it keeps saying 'no update available'

So is it ok to shut down my computer? Or is this the wrong version?

• vurker
    edited March 2010

How do I boot in safe mode? I am not given the option to do this when I start up for some reason.

• I am patiently waiting,for how to get my comp going again since recovery wont work...plzz help..

Hello scooter00,

Did you follow the steps described in this KB article ?

• Was the update removed from the servers? Would make me very angry if after formating computer and install everything to get the same problem just because the tech team forgot to remove the faulty update.

• Press F8 when selecting the OS. You should then be able to select Safe Mode from a list.

I cannot even run Safe Mode. :wacko:

• I would like to know if they are going to have some way to fix my pc. I cant even boot up. It starts and I get this error. Login Process initialization failure. Process in itialization has failed. Please consult the event log for more detail.

So what can I do to fix this. I cant loose my data on this pc. Anyone think I should do a reinstall windows over my windows.

Please follow the steps described in this KB article and let us know the outcome:

Cristi.

• lmp1054
    edited March 2010
    Good tip. After all that reformatting will you reinstall this AV.? I'm still waiting awhile untill this settles completely. This makes me think back when NVIDIA screwed up with their drivers and made BBQ pits of peoples GPU's.

I have always used another AV, and I guess I will go back to it, I was advised that the AV was a resource hog and should use bitdefender because it is more stable. I have had that security solution for about 6 years with minor problems, non that I was not able to repair or keep under control myself. I have never had any legitimate software cause such a disaster.

• Was the update removed from the servers? Would make me very angry if after formating computer and install everything to get the same problem just because the tech team forgot to remove the faulty update.

Yes, it was removed quickly.

• How do I boot in safe mode? I am not given the option to do this when I start up for some reason.

Press F8 when you turn on your computer repetitively. It will give you options. Select safe mode. GL

• The patch is due out in about 45minutes.

• On FaceBook, ten minutes ago:

"BitDefender Global eta to patch should be roughly 45 min - patch is for bootable and non bootable 64 bit systems for Windows 7 and Vista... XP users should contact support"

• I have always used Norton, and I guess I will go back to it, I was advised that Norton was a resource hog and should use bitdefender because it is more stable. I have had Norton for about 6 years with minor problems, non that I was not able to repair or keep under control myself. I have never had any legitimate software cause such a disaster.

I'll be sure to test Norton out too. Seems like they are much lighter on your resources compared to the past. Got to get through my other trial first, then think about going back to BD just to finish my subscription.

• On FaceBook, ten minutes ago:

"BitDefender Global eta to patch should be roughly 45 min - patch is for bootable and non bootable 64 bit systems for Windows 7 and Vista... XP users should contact support"

Can someone verify i can fix my Windows with deleted system files with this patch?

• I"m still awaiting the fix to see the outcome but, think I was one of the luckier ones who caught BD in time before it did any major damage.I have yet to reboot the PC until I can try to restore the quarantined files.

System restore is kinda useless in my case, because the reserved space was too low and I only had one restore point that was made after the BD update. :P So,I'm stuck with important programs/games/system files stuck in quarantine that I have no desire to sort through.

• Hello BitDee,

If you cannot boot your computer in Safe Mode please access this article in order to create a BitDefender Rescue CD.

Use this link to see how you can save all the important files to a memory stick using the Bitdefender Rescue CD.

Use a Windows CD in order to make a System Restore or Startup repair. You can access this Microsoft article for more information.

Thank you.

• BD Team:

I can not REINSTALL BDAV 2010. This is really frustrating. I spend over 3 hours in waiting on hold on two different phone calls, only to get answers that did not work. here is the situation:

Had the same thing as everyone else here...happen to my PC. I am running Win XP 64bit.

Restored as many of the quarantined files as it would let me. Then I noticed that I had BDAV 2009 on this system, so I decided to uninstall that and install BDAV 2010 instead, since I still have two licenses from that left over. First, I saved a copy of the Quarantine Folder, so that I'd have it. Next I went to www.BitDefender.com/uninstall and ran that uninstaller. Next I downloaded the 64bit version of BDAV 2010. First from a link, and then (as directed by your tech support) by going to download.bitdefender.com and he took me through the folders to the file bitdefender_antivirus_2010_64b.exe. I downloaded that to the desktop and installed it. Ive tried everything...but here is what ALWAYS keeps happening:

After the installation, which seems to go fine, I am prompted to RESTART, which I do. Upon bootup of the system, I get two warnings:

1. bdwizreg.exe - Application Error: The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000135). Click on OK to terminate the application.

When I click on OK - this pops up:

2. bdagent.exe - Application Error: The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000135). Click on OK to terminate the application.

Nothing I do allows me to reinstall BDAV. I have uninstalled and reinstalled many times. I have called your tech support twice, to no avail - because they always have me do the same thing. Please tell me what I need to do to get this program reinstalled.

thanks,

Chris

• Cristi, which is the latest engine version, I have: 7.30848 and 5474032 definitions

I was able to stop on time the real time scan, just one file was detected with the fake virus, it was rundll32.exe.mui but the windows restore it, so I don't have any trouble with my operating system.

I need to know if this is the good engine or should I wait for the patch you are working in to activate real time scan again?

Thanks

• My computer has survived the trojan.fakealert.5 process:

I have now restarted my computer 3 times with no problems, BD is updated and installed correctly, I am currently running a BD virus scan and it is not bringing anything back.

So far so good,hope everyone else is able to get their computers up and running!

• Rebooted my computer...after turning the wi fi off, the real time protection off and the automatic updates off! It rebooted just like it normally would....now..

What do do about the 1000s of files in my quarantine...there is over a 1000 for sure...I have The Shield Deluxe 2009 and I was about 1/4 of the way through the quarantine list checking to ensure each one had been restored...but really, if I had kept going, I would be up all night checking the ###### things! So, do I need to keep checking the files to see if they have been restored...I was able to stop the scanner before it got to personal files...everything in quarantine appears to be a .dll or .exe.

Suggestions or comments from tech support would be very much appreciated!

• BitDefenderLawsuit
    edited March 2010
    :P
  • Cristi, which is the latest engine version, I have: 7.30848 and 5474032 definitions

I was able to stop on time the real time scan, just one file was detected with the fake virus, it was rundll32.exe.mui but the windows restore it, so I don't have any trouble with my operating system.

I need to know if this is the good engine or should I wait for the patch you are working in to activate real time scan again?

Thanks

yes, the latest is 7.30848 . at least it works for me... i have yet to receive a straight answer from any of the useless tech people...

• Please follow the steps described in this KB article and let us know the outcome:

Cristi.

Oficial page said:

We are creating a patch that will restore BitDefender update files and retrieve the correct signatures. You should be able to restore the quarantined files after installing the patch.

Where is the patch i can't restored my quarantined files. my engine file is 730848 it's correct?

I have a message that said the file exits you want to replace? an when i trid to restore said the patch don't exist

I see the files in the original directory , what must i do??

Can i restart the pc or restore a previous sistem version?

Help

• I am using the Shield Deluxe which has BitDefender in it...this is what my updates are:

Virus Signatures: 5474485

Engine Version: 7.30852

I just told it to update, again...this is what it comes up with...it keeps saying 'no update available'

So is it ok to shut down my computer? Or is this the wrong version?

I have this also, but get only black screen now. I'm am trying to use the restore option but it won't even do this. Got into the partition but can't seem to find the restore option. Ready to put the vista restore disk in and just wipe everything and start over. I can't get a response on how to do this even. Someone please help!

Yes, it was removed quickly.

3 1/2 hours is not "removed quickly". Every 64bit Windows XP, Vista and 7 PC running BItDefender 2009 and 2010 that was connected to the internet between 8am and 11:30am Pacific Time was hosed. A few lucky ones were saved by Windows Restore, but many more will need a complete reinstall of Windows.

I would bet the number of systems infected is in the 100s of thousands. Many people like me switched to BitDefender in the last few months when we got a new Windows 7 PC based on good reviews. How sorry I am now. My system is running now, but I don't know well Windows repair fixed everything. I am a techie, so my next step is to restore my OS partition from a sysytem image from before Bitdefender was installed. then find a new virus scan app and spend 3-4 days reinstalling and configuring from that point. I can restore from a couple week old image, but I don't want any trace of BitDestroyer on my system.

And I paid for two 3pc 2yr licenses 3 months ago. Luckily the other PCs are all laptops and no one had their laptop on when BitDestroyer started killing PCs.

• I'm waiting for the patch, but bitdefender quarantined msiexec.exe, so I'm not even sure if it will work. I'd love to get my computer back in working shape. It seems I'd be able to do so if I repaired or reinstalled bitdefender, but since msiexec.exe was quarantined I can do no such thing. I also can't restore the objects from quarantine because vsserv.exe was also quarantined. I'm also not going to foolishly restart my computer since a ton of system files were also quarantined. I'm not sure what to do. I can't afford to format this computer because I would lose essential documents. I would back the documents up, but I can't plug in usb devices because the drivers were also quarantined.

• 3 1/2 hours is not "removed quickly". Every 64bit Windows XP, Vista and 7 PC running BItDefender 2009 and 2010 that was connected to the internet between 8am and 11:30am Pacific Time was hosed. A few lucky ones were saved by Windows Restore, but many more will need a complete reinstall of Windows.

I would bet the number of systems infected is in the 100s of thousands. Many people like me switched to BitDefender in the last few months when we got a new Windows 7 PC based on good reviews. How sorry I am now. My system is running now, but I don't know well Windows repair fixed everything. I am a techie, so my next step is to restore my OS partition from a sysytem image from before Bitdefender was installed. then find a new virus scan app and spend 3-4 days reinstalling and configuring from that point. I can restore from a couple week old image, but I don't want any trace of BitDestroyer on my system.

And I paid for two 3pc 2yr licenses 3 months ago. Luckily the other PCs are all laptops and no one had their laptop on when BitDestroyer started killing PCs.

I have the 3pc 2tr license also, luckily the other 2 are laptops, so they rarely connect to internet.

But on my main computer I had to format and install everything all over again (will continue to install the rest of my software for the next couple of days). From 10000 placed in quarantine, only a few were showing (like 50), couldn't restore or anything cause every single exe or dll file BitDefender could get their hands on were deleted.

I won't stop using bitdefender because of this (specially because I just renewed my subscription last month...) but makes me feel unsafe...

• I'm waiting for the patch, but bitdefender quarantined msiexec.exe, so I'm not even sure if it will work. I'd love to get my computer back in working shape. It seems I'd be able to do so if I repaired or reinstalled bitdefender, but since msiexec.exe was quarantined I can do no such thing. I also can't restore the objects from quarantine because vsserv.exe was also quarantined. I'm also not going to foolishly restart my computer since a ton of system files were also quarantined. I'm not sure what to do. I can't afford to format this computer because I would lose essential documents. I would back the documents up, but I can't plug in usb devices because the drivers were also quarantined.

Have you tried a system restore from Start->All Programs->Accessories->System Tools->System Restore ?

• From Bitdefender's Twitter Account:

we will work with everyone to make sure they feel adequately compensated. email us at bitsy@bitdefender.com

• the story for me was like this.... i wanted to be nice and so i bought the bitdefendeer total security 2010 for my boyfriend. he has a very good and strong laptop on windows 7 64bit that he uses for his work ( autocad and solidworks ). well, today this happened.... lucky me! fortunatelly,since i work as a manager in a software company, i had the good idea of asking him all kinds of questions and at the end, managed to save a his PC. i could recover windows, but now i wait for that patch that is supposed to be fixing the issues.

next time i'll think about being nice, i'll just buy him something that does not destroy PCs.....

i to think i was unhappy about hte trsting done by netop on the products!!! now i appreciate more my team, at least the DO TEST!!!!

• Unknown
    edited March 2010

Hello,

@sea777:

If you cannot login to Windows, you can use your Windows CD in order to make a System restore or Startup recovery. You will find more information on this Microsoft article.

Thank you.

we will work with everyone to make sure they feel adequately compensated. email us at bitsy@bitdefender.com

That will bankrupt them.

• I have the 3pc 2tr license also, luckily the other 2 are laptops, so they rarely connect to internet.

But on my main computer I had to format and install everything all over again (will continue to install the rest of my software for the next couple of days). From 10000 placed in quarantine, only a few were showing (like 50), couldn't restore or anything cause every single exe or dll file BitDefender could get their hands on were deleted.

I won't stop using bitdefender because of this (specially because I just renewed my subscription last month...) but makes me feel unsafe...

I do believe there is a 30 day refund policy. I would use that if I were you.

• Luckily I noticed in time that some of my files where infected and no damage was done here. I uninstalled BD and installed AVG till there was a update to fix the problem. I installed BD again, updated it and no problems. I had the luck that my files in quarantine where not deleted from the system, only copied to quarantine.

I have Windows 7 64bit.

I have and had Engineversion 730848

Use an external bay and insert your HDD and make a backup of your important data. You can also try Hiren BootCD the newest one has a lite edition of windows XP which you can run directly from the disk without installing. That way you can copy ur files on a removable drive.

Or

Install a new OS on a new partition directly without touching the damaged Os. In the new OS you should be able to acces all your files.

Or

Buy a new HDD (small one or use an old one) and install the OS on it. And once you load it you should see your files on the other HDD via My computer.

Thanks

I already start real-time protection a few hours ago, after reinstalling BitDefender!!

No problems, all normal again!!

I was one of the lucky ones, only punk-buster files and bdwizreg.exe were detected as trojan fakealert.5!!

post-32579-1269139345_thumb.jpg

post-32579-1269139353_thumb.jpg

• Well, what a day. I really thought I had a real virus and then searching the internet gave not results whatsoever on how to get rid of it so I thought, well there has to be something wrong here.

BD has seriously messed this one up. Luckyly I do a GHOST (image backup of the whole drive) with Norton Ghost of my C: drive every couple of days so I just recovered that and turned off BD. I hate Windoes System Restore and it isn't clean...

All my other files are on separate drives (music, documents, photos...).

My piece of advice for the future, get Norton Ghost or Acronis (I prefer Ghost as it has never failed on me ever) inaddition to the anti-virus software you buy.

Weird thing is, BD also quarantined a bunch of my documents that were on separate drives... (not the drive that has Windows on it).

Last advice, in BD (if you dare use it again...) in the anti-virus advanced settings, set the default actions (in 4 places in the options drop down lists) to quarantine... That way it won't delete stuff without checking with you first.

Good luck to all.

• That will bankrupt them.

LOL

it's nice to see that even now.....they "know" what they are saying....supposing all the customers on 64 bit systems want thei money back....or some other compensation, how will that work for the budget????

• Hello BitDee,

If you cannot boot your computer in Safe Mode please access this article in order to create a BitDefender Rescue CD.

Use this link to see how you can save all the important files to a memory stick using the Bitdefender Rescue CD.

Use a Windows CD in order to make a System Restore or Startup repair. You can access this Microsoft article for more information.

Thank you.

Thx for your reply. The Rescue Disc is needed so i can backup my files right?

Tried the Windows repair several times with no success.

So i assume that you guys won't be able to fix the deleted system files or will the patch fix the deleted system files so i can boot my windows?

• How do you expect us to System Restore when BitDefender quarantined it? I don't have a Windows Disc either. They don't give the disc with Laptops.

I can't believe I've been recommending your program to clients for years now. I doubt I could ever trust this program again.

• Well, what a day. I really thought I had a real virus and then searching the internet gave not results whatsoever on how to get rid of it so I thought, well there has to be something wrong here.

BD has seriously messed this one up. Luckyly I do a GHOST (image backup of the whole drive) with Norton Ghost of my C: drive every couple of days so I just recovered that and turned off BD. I hate Windoes System Restore and it isn't clean...

All my other files are on separate drives (music, documents, photos...).

My piece of advice for the future, get Norton Ghost or Acronis (I prefer Ghost as it has never failed on me ever) inaddition to the anti-virus software you buy.

Weird thing is, BD also quarantined a bunch of my documents that were on separate drives... (not the drive that has Windows on it).

Last advice, in BD (if you dare use it again...) in the anti-virus advanced settings, set the default actions (in 4 places in the options drop down lists) to quarantine... That way it won't delete stuff without checking with you first.

Good luck to all.

That's a good one.. i also dont like the windows system restore when i actually need it.. it doesnt work.. I wrote down ur advice.. thx

• Hello BitDee,

Yes, we recommended you to use the Rescue CD in order to boot from the CD and backup your files. Unfortunately, you can use the patch only if Windows starts in Normal mode. The patch will be able to restore the files quarantined by BitDefender but it cannot restore the deleted ones.

• Ok...so here is the latest on my end...I was able to restore quite a few items from the quarantine area...after that I attempted to repair BD with no luck for a while...Since most of the items were able to be restored, I ventured to do a system restart...luckly the system came up without issues. I was finally able to repair the BD software. The software went thru two system restarts. At last it finished the install process. When I went into the quarantine area all of those items that were not previously recovered were gone...i assume that a fix (someone mentioned that a automatic update was available to remove the items in this area) was automatically downladed and applied to my system.

I am opening all of my applications to ensure all is working the way they are supposed to...thus far no issues...

Today was a fiasco...and something a reputable company is supposed to avoid and respond to in an acceptable timeframe. 12 hours of caos is blatant disrespect for the costumer.

I think that although a fix (for those that were patient enough to not shut down their computers or delete quarantined files) was implemented, more information on the BD website and a more widespread information program should have been put in place.

I think that today will go down in the tech history books as the day a major company created havoc around the world due to improvisation and complacency...unfortunatelly, BD continues to be a decent AV and besides this incident has performed pretty well...hence I think I will maintain my subscription (im also stuck with it for at least this year as I already paid for it for that long...)-

BD Management...you need to figure out how you will compensate the time (in other words $$$) that your subscribers lost due to your screw up. Moreover, I hope that whomever released the infamous update this morning got his/a$$ fired...or at least harshly reprimanded.

Thanks for wasting my Saturday!!!! not like I had anything better to do today...

• Demoblaster
    edited March 2010

Update from Bitdefender's Twitter:

"this is taking a bit longer than expected - we are testing it right now."

How do you expect us to System Restore when BitDefender quarantined it? I don't have a Windows Disc either. They don't give the disc with Laptops.

I can't believe I've been recommending your program to clients for years now. I doubt I could ever trust this program again.

Once you've turned off the virus scanner and ran the update, turn the scanner back on.

Then, until the patch comes out, you need to go through the painful process of going to the Quarantine list and trying to unquarantine as many files as possible until the patch comes out. Trying to 'Select All & Restore' won't work since any file that was automatically restored by Windows will give an error in the quarantine list, saying that it's already there and, for the most part, when you tell it to overwrite, the overwrite fails.

So for many of the files, you'll need to just go down the long list of files, one-by-one, and restore whichever files that will allow you to restore them. Eventually, you'll restore the System Restore files and then you'll get your comp back. If they release the patch before you finish, get it and then the remainder of the restoration process will go quickly.

Whatever you do, DON'T REBOOT. If you reboot, I can almost guarantee you, you'll be screwed. Don't try to just reinstall either as people in here have experienced that that just wipes out the quarantine and all the files in it. They should be posting THAT in the kb but for some reason, they won't and more and more customers on twitter are complaining about their files because they rebooted for whatever reason.