Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Trojan.fakealert.5 - Questions And Technical Help Only

The other Forum Thread is so full of posts from upset customers, it's almost impossible to find the suggestions and solutions being provided by BD Techs.

Could we please have this as a separate Thread for legitimate questions and BD Tech replies only. Please refrain from posting anything else on here.

Those of us who truly need help will appreciate not having to search for posts telling us what we can do or try to get our computers working again.

We're all upset, but there has to be a place like this where emotions don't rule.

Thank you.

Comments

• Hi all,

I managed to restore my laptop using system restore (to approx. 7 days ago). Does this mean that my computer is as before the malicious update? What else should I do?

I found that BD no longer works as it used to even after the system restore. Scanning for virus no longer works, so I uninstalled it.

Is it OK to install BD Internet Seucrity 2010 (from BD site) now and in turn updating it? Or should I reinstall BD when they have fixed the issue?

Thanks.

• CoolCalmCollected
    edited March 2010

first off...I just gotta say to the public, this "fakealert" thing is not too damaging when you have a pc with win 7 x64. when you reboot, yes it won't turn back on, but it automatically repairs itself. It might not work on the first try. It took me 3 tries I believe, but your pc will walk you through the system repair process, so don't stress if it takes a bit long. Go ENJOY your life away from the computer if your really impatient. Hit up a local beach or pool if you live in a sunny state like myself, if not, be creative. use the BRAIN god gave you to have fun. Anyways, by the time you get back, your pc should be up and running with no loss of anything. Yes, all of the files are still in quarantine but they're just copies, no longer are they the originals, so delete them all with confidence. Now my only question to the tech support is, my real time protection is off because I'm waiting for the update, I clicked "update now" and it says there are none. By the way the engine ver.: 7.30848. But I thought the new update/patch would be 7.30858 or something of that nature. So where do I get the update/patch so that this "little" dilemma doesn't happen again? And what's the engine version number after it's installed? Because I still have 300 and something days left and I just want to turn the real time protection back on and enjoy life without the worry that what happened yesterday could happen again. Thanks in advance

• I have a real question:

After installing the patch and rebooting I have updated to the latest drivers. But my BD Internet Security 2010 still detects for example "mspaint.exe" as Trojan.FakeAlert.5 when right clicking on it and manually scanning it for viruses. This is a W7 Home Premium 64 bit computer.

My father has BD Total Security 2010 and the same computer, and here the problem is resolved.

• Hello, I got an initialisation error when starting win7 prof. The only thing I can do is hit ok, and I see a black screen. Rebooting results in a screen of safe mode or normal mode, but again got the initialisation error. What to do now?

• misterTTT
    edited March 2010

You have to reboot and hit the F8 button repeatedly until some text appears. Then recover the system to last working state.

• Hitting F8 doesn't work (weird enough I get a boot from device(s) screen). Any another suggestions?

• Can't seem to repair BD and when I try to update I get an error message. Any solution to this?

And another question: Still have alot of files in quarentine. What about those? Have they been restored when I ran the patch or what?

• hello, yesterday i got the problem because of the faulty update of bitdefender, and that made me restore my computer.. I use windows 7 64bit, and i restore my computer using system restore option in sstartup repair.. it's said in system restore couldn't completed because of error 0x8000ffff.. but, after it's rebooted, it's said that 'the system is successfully restored'

can you explain that to me??

After i restored my computer, I checked the quarantine files in bitdefender.. i tried to restore the quarantine files, but it's said that 'there is already the same file.. do you want to replace it??'

what should i choose?? do i have to restore the file?? or i don't need to??

thanks before, i hope i can get the answer soon..

• Getting error messages when trying to run the patch on the following:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\BitDefender\BitDefender Update Service\bdsubwiz.exe

C:\Program Files\Common Files\BitDefender\BitDefender Update Service\livesrv.exe

C:\Program Files\Common Files\BitDefender\BitDefender Update Service\npcomm.dll

C:\Program Files\Common Files\BitDefender\BitDefender Update Service\productinfo.dll

C:\Program Files\Common Files\BitDefender\BitDefender Update Service\upgrepl.exe

C:\Program Files\Common Files\BitDefender\BitDefender Update Service\v_live_s.xml

C:\Program Files\Common Files\BitDefender\BitDefender Update Service\wsdns.dll

C:\Program Files\Common Files\BitDefender\BitDefender Update Service\wslib.dll

C:\Program Files\Common Files\BitDefender\BitDefender Update Service\wspack.dll

C:\Program Files\Common Files\BitDefender\BitDefender Update Service\wsutils.dll

what to do? plz help

• I followed all the instructions and everything on my computer and BD is working properly. I have 6 .exe or .dlls that are quarantine and I cannot restore. I get the message that BD failed to find the specified path. It looks like all the quarantined files exist. I just want to confirm that I can remove (delete) the files from quarantine.

• I have also been a victim of the Trojan.fakealert.5 saga, it affected my laptop which is running Windows 7 64 bit.

Windows 7 managed to repair itself, I have run the patch and everything apears to be working with one exception,

I am unable to run a system scan, BDIS 2010 tells me there is one issue affecting the security of my PC - "This PC has never been scanned for viruses"

I click the 'start' button - status responds 'fixing' then 'failed'.

A solution would be appreciated.

Thanks

• Forget about my last question, 48 is the right engine and after the patch is downloaded bitdefender works fine. now the question is do i really have to delete the files in quarantine one by one? or set the settings to delete the files that are more than 1 day old? or uninstall and re-install the bit defender? Quick n Ezy solution would be appreciated. thanks in advance

• Forget about my last question, 48 is the right engine and after the patch is downloaded bitdefender works fine. now the question is do i really have to delete the files in quarantine one by one? or set the settings to delete the files that are more than 1 day old? or uninstall and re-install the bit defender? Quick n Ezy solution would be appreciated. thanks in advance

You can hold ctrl & select every entry there to delete all in on shot, if you feel it is safe to do so now.

• even with the " ctrl " button held, I still have to physically click each file one by one while holding the ctrl button. Seeing how I have oh so many files to delete from quarantine...is there any other way to delete them all in one quick swoop...meaning clicking the mouse one time and they all get deleted? If I set the settings for quarantine to delete old files after one day, that means in 24 hours my files should be deleted on there own automatically correct? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance again.

• ok...files from quarantine have been removed. But my PC won't ask me how to play dvd/cd when I put a disk in the driver like it normally does. Now nothing at all pops up, no auto-run or nothing. I try to system restore to 3/16/2010 and my PC says that an "unspecified error occurred" and couldn't change anything. So0o0o does anybody have any idea as to why this is happening?

• Try to perform a repair of Windows as described here (choose the appropriate operating system). That should clear the issue.

• A work-around for those whose windows system files were so badly damaged[deleted] that even windows 7 starup-repair itself couldn't work.

First, I'd like to disclaim that the following suggestions are solely based on my own experience on my Win7 x64 laptop after bad BitDefender update. Please disregard this thread if you are an IT pro or have already known this work-around.I just want to share and help you guys who might have encountered the same problem as mine.

After my BDIS 2010 had been updated with the faulty update, windows systems files and many others were detected as "Trojan.Fakealert.5". I didn't realise it was due to the faulty update from BD. So, I restarted Windows and didn't have a chance to turn off the real-time protection of BD. The next time I restart my computer, I was still able to log into Windows but couldn't open BD while the BitDefender RTP was still treating my system files as virus.

Later, I noticed that windows LogonUI.exe and other files were being quarantined, too. When I restarted my computer again, I could't even type my password to log into Windows. It said "The parameter is incorrect" or something like that. Things had gone worse and worse and some time later, the logon screen wasn't displayed at all. Instead, only a box with "Windows Logon Initiation Process Failed" or so appeared.

Then, the next time and thereafter I ran windows startup repair from my Win7 DVD, there was a persistent error while trying to repair the windows partition. I also tried to do system restore but it said "The current version of windows is not compatible with the windows you are trying to restore" or something like that.

There I found this trick.( I don't know if it's already mentioned elsewhere) :rolleyes:

-(1)When you are on system restore page, the start-up repair will automatically search for available Operating Systems on HDD, and then there should be an option called "Load Drivers" on the lower left of the page.

(2)Click it and an open-file dialog box will appear. There you can find your System Reserved Partition or a new partition in addition to your normal partitions and DVD drive.

(3)Open the System Reserved Partion or whatsoever and search for folder "Windows" and then find "System32" folder. Copy the entire folder by right-clicking on it and then go back to your Windows 7-installed partition, which should normally be C:\ drive.

(4)Then paste the system32 folder in the directory C:\Windows\.

(5)This will replace or copy original major windows system files. Then just close all dialog boxes and restart Windows.

(6)Your computer will be running again. At least, you'll be able to get into windows to download and apply the BD patch. Or at least, you'll be able to use windows start-up repair again to do repair all starup errors.

Anyhow, this is how I did to resurrect my Windows 7 back into operation. It took me half a day to figure this out and I was really frustrated. At first, I was really worried because I hadn't backed up my system and there were some important files for my school. I couldn't also use flash drives to back up my data as BitDefender had already quarantined the system files needed for USB drive. Anyway, this is all over and I can use my computer again though there are still some minor icon problems. I'll reformat my HDD and reinstall windows 7 after I have fully backed up my data. Now, I just wish that staff at BitDefender will try their best not to make the same mistake or similar ones again in the future. Please also share here if you know better way to solve the above problem. ^_^

N.B.(1) In step 3, if you want, you may try to copy and replace the whole folder "Windows" from the system partition to C:\ partition.(I hadn't tested it and not sure what the consequences of doing this will be,though)

(2) You can also plug in your flash drives and back up your important data and files using the trick mentioned in Step 3.( I tried this first when I found out that I can still copy and paste through windows "Load Drivers" option in windows start-up repair.