Bad Update Or....? - Solution Here: Http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=18789

Comments

• Hi again.

Vista 64

BD AntiVirus 2008

So I just woke up and I've found the patch. Downloaded it and tried to install it (normal windows mode), but had the bdsubwiz.exe and numerous other 'unavailable' files when trying to install the patch. So I CTRL+ALT+DELETE and goto Processes and find several BD processes still running. So I 'End Process' on all of them and try to install the patch again. Patch runs fine except for at the very end I get this msg now

"The procedure entry point

?get_value@@YAHPEAU_TDFILE@@PEB_W1PEAX_K1H@Z coul dnot be loacted in the dynamic link library bdutils.dll"

I assume this means that the patch didn't fully work. Should I restart into Safe Mode and try to install the patch again?

• dannnyy
    dannnyy ✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Can anyone provide a link to the latest patch as BitDefender can't seem to find it.

Also, BitDefender is now finding Trojan.FakeAV.KUE!! It's nothing like the massacre of earlier, but this suggests all is still not well.

Hy. I also had the same problem. I tried a search on google, access a site , and some fakeav alert appears. In my opinion this is a legitimate virus.

I also found a BitDefender description http://www.bitdefender.com/VIRUS-1000594-e...FakeAV.BXB.html

post-22336-1269176460_thumb.jpg

• @Daniel - Well 24282 files in the quarantine folder deleted!

PC seems stable for the minute but there is no way of telling for sure - only time will tell.

• Patch didn't seem to work, my quarantine is still full... any suggestions?

• DanyDan,

Thanks for your input. Like many people I'm sure your Sunday afternoon is also spoiled by this issue.

Like many others I have had my system compromised by Bitdefender.

There are now many topics on this issue; like many other people I am very annoyed with this issue, however, trying to find **solutions** within the mass of topics/posts is very difficult.

I have created another thred for**solutions** to missing files in the quaranatine section, but there appears to be a lack of response, so I am also posting here. .Many people are talking about files in the quarantine list, mine is empty, however my Windows system is bootable, and I did not need to run a system restore.

In a Nutshell

My issue is that BD started to "false positive", at the point were it started to mark itself as a virus, I stopped it, clearly something was wrong. However, the BD installation was *unusable*. I have *re-installed* BD. However, after re-installation to get it operation the quarantine list is empty. I may now have lost a lot of files, as well as having varying DLLs missing rendering my system unstable.

Luckily my system boot_s, and I can if I wish to re-install BD again. At present I am slightly reluctant to do so. Like many users, I am aghast reading these forums that BD has some default option to "auto delete". ? So should I continue to try to find/recover my files without BD, or is it best to re-install BD. I have no idea where these files are, or if they have been *shredded*.

In addition, I need to know the *file location* of where to restore these files, since there are 100s of them, for some users 1000s. If this sounds a hassle, it is. However, this is the problem I currently face due to the BD issue. I am sure many other people are facing the same issue. Please post your solutions/suggestions here. Many Thanks.

• @gyp371:

@Okky:

Everything should work ok now for both Windows and BitDefender, feel free to remove all quarantined files. Just to be certain you can look in the location specified in the Quarantine and see if you have the file already listed (i.e. you see in Quarantine the file C:\Windows\System32\qwe123.dll then you need to check in the same location in your computer to see if the file exists).

Daniel M.

You're last name isn't "May" by any chance is it?

• Unknown
    edited March 2010

@Tomek: a patch will be released soon for the 2009 users.

@noisymonk

@hep1: please download and use Windows Cleanup Utility as explained in this Microsoft article

Make sure that you run the file as Administrator by right click on the file and select Run as Administrator. Please let me know if the patch can now be run.

@gyp371: for any future queries feel free to contact us using the Contact Us form on the My account page Here

@juvesteve: please provide me with more details of what you mean by 'patch is not working'. Thank you.

@D May - no but close :)

• Hi again.

Vista 64

BD AntiVirus 2008

So I just woke up and I've found the patch. Downloaded it and tried to install it (normal windows mode), but had the bdsubwiz.exe and numerous other 'unavailable' files when trying to install the patch. So I CTRL+ALT+DELETE and goto Processes and find several BD processes still running. So I 'End Process' on all of them and try to install the patch again. Patch runs fine except for at the very end I get this msg now

?get_value@@YAHPEAU_TDFILE@@PEB_W1PEAX_K1H@Z coul dnot be loacted in the dynamic link library bdutils.dll"

I assume this means that the patch didn't fully work. Should I restart into Safe Mode and try to install the patch again?

Can't Edit my post for some reason, but I want to add that ALOT of the files in my Quarantine folder ( C:\ProgramData\BitDefender\Desktop\Quarantine ) are gone now, I assume that they have been restored. Still not sure if the patch fully worked because I still get that same error as above.

• I have finally fixed my desktop (not the bad problem). Thanks BD for the patch. However, my big problem is that my laptop is non-bootable. I have followed the steps and attempted 5 Startup Repairs and it still will not start up. What do I do now?

Please Help, this is my work computer and I have much to do in preparation for the upcoming week!

• I have finally fixed my desktop (not the bad problem). Thanks BD for the patch. However, my big problem is that my laptop is non-bootable. I have followed the steps and attempted 5 Startup Repairs and it still will not start up. What do I do now?

Please Help, this is my work computer and I have much to do in preparation for the upcoming week!

Is anyone else having problems getting Startup Repair to work??!

• Here´s another user who lost important files yesterday afternoon (and many, many hours)- again, Windows7-64 and BD 2010. Happily I checked the forum before formatting the hard drive... but after such a long time with BD and having recommended it so many times, this is more than annoying. Anyway, it´s been a few days since I (and another family computer) get a message regarding a Portscan attempt blocked. Are both issues related?

• @BruntFCA: you can not restore files without using the BD GUI. The files are by default located into: C:\Users\All Users\BitDefender\Desktop\Quarantine

Do you currently have BitDefender installed or you uninstalled it using the Uninstall tool ?

@noisymonk: the patch is only for the 2010 versions of BitDefender therefore only certain files will match with the 2008 version and will be restored. To be honest I would recommend you upgrade to 2010 version.

• Hey BitDefender, how about a response. I have been at this since the beginning and have yet to get a reply for Tech support.

If 5 Startup Repair attempts still fail to startup, should I do system restore? or What?

thanks

• felix_rehschuh
    edited March 2010
    Is anyone else having problems getting Startup Repair to work??!

yes... waiting for support news (used the live support) since 9 a.m. (CET)... none of the given solutions here (including full system restore) is working...

• Hello

Has the problem of files that were quarantined but cannot be restored because of "A file with the same name already exists" followed by "Failed to find the specified path" been solved yet?

Thankfully my Windows 7 x64 system is still running, but severely crippled as when I try to run any programs that were quarantined but fall into the "A file with the same name already exists" category, they are completely silent when I try to run them, or I see something like "C:\Windows\System32\xxx.exe is not a valid Win32 application." This is also the case with many services.

• @misterTTT: please tell me the engine version on the computer that still detects the 'FakeAlert.5' as being present. On the same computer follow these steps:

1. restart the computer in Safe Mode by pressing the F8 key when booting up;

2. go to Start menu button then go to Run;

3. Type services.msc and then hit OK;

4. Search in the list Virus Shield and double click on it;

5. Set it to Manual as Startup type;

6. Restart the computer;

7. Apply the patch;

8. Restart the computer again;

9. Update BitDefender

10. Follow the KB here

Please keep me posted.

@gyp371: please tell me the Engine Version under the Update tab.

Daniel M.

@ Daniel M.: I've done all the steps you said, but the engine version of the computer that still detects the 'FakeAlert.5' as being present is 7.30856. The good pc is indeed 70848. Help?

• Danny,

I have

Vista Home Premium 64 Service Pack 2

BD Internet Security 2008

got the patch and ran the application (you guys said in the forum that the patch should apply also to 2008)

When I run the patch I get this message (after following instructions):

livesrv.exe - Entry Point not Found

I repeated the exercise in safe mode and got the same message.

What should I do?

You recommended to another user to upgrade to 2010. Do I have to pay for it?

• Unknown
    edited March 2010

@biomechman: Have you tried starting Windows in both Normal and Safe Mode ? Please try to boot your laptop using the Windows CD and repair it if you can't boot in either Normal / Safe Mode.

@iss: the notification 'Portscan attempt blocked' is not related with this issue. That message is displayed when BitDefender is blocking an attempt of hijacking your computer using an open port.

@misterTTT: engine 7.30856 is the bad one. You need to update BitDefender as mentioned on my previous post, at step9. If you can't update BitDefender, please tell me why - error message / tab grayed out ? Follow these steps:

- Start the computer in SAFE MODE

- Go to START -> RUN and type Services.msc

- Search for the BitDefender Update service and make sure it is on Automatic.

- restart the computer

- try to update BitDefender

@THEPAPA - We are working to release a patch for 2008/2009. It will be posted shortly on the respectful forum category.

No, the upgrade is free if you already have a valid license key. If you need further assistance on the upgrade please PM (private message) me with your email address where you wish to information to be sent to.

• @noisymonk

@hep1: please download and use Windows Cleanup Utility as explained in this Microsoft article

Make sure that you run the file as Administrator by right click on the file and select Run as Administrator. Please let me know if the patch can now be run.

I assume that was directed at me aswell. I've downloaded and installed the Windows Cleanup Utility and am running it now.

Only problem is that I'm not seeing anything like 'BitDefender Patch' in the 'Installed Products' list. I do have 'BitDefender Antivirus 2008 [11.0.16]'

Probably a dumb question (better safe than sorry though), but should I use this utility on 'BitDefender Antivirus 2008 [11.0.16]' ?

• @biomechman: Have you tried starting Windows in both Normal and Safe Mode ? Please try to boot your laptop using the Windows CD and repair it if you can't boot in either Normal / Safe Mode.

tried this even before contacting the support in the morning - after the first time it says successful and after reboot that the bootmanager is missing - seems to be even worse than before - and after trying again windows is again trying to repair itself while booting like before - only difference is that starting the repair tool using the windows cd it says no errors found - but still doesnt boot, neither in normal nor in safe mode...

• _chris_
    edited March 2010

Hi,

I experienced the same problem yesterday with the false positive, running Vista x64 and bitdefender internet security 2009. Turned the pc off immediately and restarted in safe mode and scanned using bitdefender and trendmicro housecall. Bitdefender found 20000+ infected files and housecall 0 so I decided to wait for more news.

Now this morning I read about the patch here: http://www.bitdefender.com/site/KnowledgeBase/consumer/#639 and decided to try that. Windows still booted (although with lots of problems about non-working apps) but I was able to run the patch. Near the end I got an error similar to the error previously mentioned something like "The procedure entry point

?get_value@@YAHPEAU_TDFILE@@PEB_W1PEAX_K1H@Z could not be loacted in the dynamic link library bdutils.dll" but I don't know the precise error as I stupidly forgot to write it down. Next the computer rebooted and I got a BSOD.

So I tried to boot from the Windows Vista DVD and choose to repair windows as described here again http://www.bitdefender.com/site/KnowledgeBase/consumer/#639. And followed all steps till windows told me "Startup Repair cannot repair your computer automatically".

So my pc booted before the patch, and does nothing after applying the recommended patch!!!

Is there any way to get my pc to work again???

Edit: managed to get into safe mode now...

• Is anyone else having problems getting Startup Repair to work??!

Me and a lot of other peaple! I still to have black screen , and cant repair , cant use safe mode! Tny BD for destroy my pc.

• Virus signatures: 5494847

Engine Version: 7.30856

Safe?

• This is the most stupid tweet from BD, they're asking to restore thousands of files one by one!!!

Of course you can and should restore all of them in one single step, just select to ignore the 2 error messages that will pop up.

Restoring thousands of files one by one is not an option, and is not even necessary.

BD should improve the restore feature to remove these bogus message boxes, but even so, you can use the feature (select "Yes" or "No" for the message to overwrite files, it should not matter which answer, and select "Cancel" for the error about path not found.)

Well, for those of us who have The Shield Deluxe, which BitDefender is a part of...we CANNOT restore all files @ once! You have to do it one by one....I gave up after going through about a quarter of mine as they kept saying they were already restored.

So does anyone know what to do about that? I turned off the automatic delete, which was set for 30 days...but I have over 1000 files in quarantine and I REFUSE to go through them one by one because BitDefender screwed up...it sure would be nice if someone from tech support would reply to me!

• Well, for those of us who have The Shield Deluxe, which BitDefender is a part of...we CANNOT restore all files @ once! You have to do it one by one....I gave up after going through about a quarter of mine as they kept saying they were already restored.

So does anyone know what to do about that? I turned off the automatic delete, which was set for 30 days...but I have over 1000 files in quarantine and I REFUSE to go through them one by one because BitDefender screwed up...it sure would be nice if someone from tech support would reply to me!

There should be a lot of files with the same path no? With ctrl & shift you can restore a lot of files already but Win repair will probably fixed a lot of them already. If you make a map, and keep your folder order, you can restore them to the map without getting the error of already existing. And when done, place them, if they don't exist yet, in the real Win folders.

• Me and a lot of other peaple! I still to have black screen , and cant repair , cant use safe mode! Tny BD for destroy my pc.

If you can't get Windows to repair itself from the installation CD, you need to make a judgement as to whether you have data on the PC you need to get back. If you need access to the data, then you need to take the disk out of the computer, and connect it to a friend's PC, or to make yourself an NTFS bootable CD. Personally, I'd remove the disk, stick it another computer (obviously not as a master drive!), copy off what I need, reformat it, and then put it back in my original computer, and install Windows etc. from scratch. A lot of work, yes, but everything will be OK.

Kieran

• Flasher
    edited March 2010
    @Flasher: Have you follow this KB article? Please explain all the steps you took along with what error message(s) you receive.

I tried to follow the KB article but it isn't helping. I can start Windows and i could already start Bitdefender by copying over missing DLLs from another Computer. After a restart I was able to restore some of the quarantined files, however most of them were already there and could not be overwritten. After restarting again even Aero worked, unfortunately an error massage popped up "bdagent.exe application error (0xc000007b)". After another restart Aero was gone again and the error keeps popping up every system start.

Additionaly most shortcuts don't work anymore and I can't install anything because my Windows Installer seems to be broken.

I hope the Idiot who is responsible for this will be fired!

So WHAT NOW?!

• @noisymonk and all the users of 2008 or 2009 products:

The released patch is Only for the 2010 version. Using it may restore some of the files quarantined, however most of them will not match as each of the 3 versions (2008.2009 or 2010) have different engines and files locations.

@Typhke: No. That is not the good engine version. Please disable the real time protection service then update BitDefender:

- Start the Windows in Safe Mode by pressing the F8 key before the system starts to load

- Click on the Start menu button and go to Run

- type services.msc then hit OK

- search for BitDefender Virus Shield and double click on it

- set it on Manual

- restart the computer

- update BitDefender and check the Engine version

- if you now have the version ending in 848 then you can follow this article on how to apply the patch to restore all quarantined files.

The KB article is found Here

• DannyDan,

Thanks for the response. I've looked where you suggested. From the screenshot you can see where the shortcuts for various apps are broken. I never uninstalled them, the binaries for them just vanished from my system.

These files are not in the "quarantine", I've searched all hard disks for "*quarantine*". After BD became un-operation, I tried to re-install but BD would not install over the original and told me I had to un-install first, so I did what it told me. Can I assume BD deletes the quarantine folder if you un-install it?

If these are deleted, can you suggest an un-delete tool so I can get these file back? I did use "encase" once when I worked in security, this was used by the police to find deleted files on hardisk. Many thanks.

lostprograms.jpg

• One mess up does not mean they're not the best of the field right now.

No, it doesn't mean that they aren't the best...but they need to FULLY TEST THE UPDATES before unleashing it on 1000s of unsuspecting users! My computer was salvaged before major damage was done, or so it appears....but look at how many people CANNOT EVEN BOOT their computers!! To me, that is completely unacceptable from a software company who is SUPPOSED to protect our computers!

• presmanno
    edited March 2010

@DanyDan

So the patch I applied is only for BitDefender 2010 and you suggest those who have 2008 or 2009 (like me) to upgrade it to this version but what happens to quarantined files if I remove the 2009?

Will I be able to restore them if needed?

Will you tell us here when the patch for 2009 is ready?

• soopytwist
    soopytwist ✭✭
    edited March 2010

I suppose in hindsight this debacle is less likely to happen again. I'll stick with BD until my license runs out in 275 days then I'm sorry but It's time to move on.

So I turned on my PC for the first time today since I appeared to get back to normality last night. The only thing I've found so far not working is Firefox so I had to re-install that and now that's working.

After I restored as many quarantined files as I could yesterday and ran the BD update I rebooted and initially had a headache getting back into Windows. One system restore from safe mode later (after a failed repair install of Vista) I was back in the game. So Firefox is the first casualty today, remains to be seen what else has been affected. I haven't run BD's patch, the system restore put everything missing or corrupt back so I've deleted the files that were still in quarantine.

• If you can't get Windows to repair itself from the installation CD, you need to make a judgement as to whether you have data on the PC you need to get back. If you need access to the data, then you need to take the disk out of the computer, and connect it to a friend's PC, or to make yourself an NTFS bootable CD. Personally, I'd remove the disk, stick it another computer (obviously not as a master drive!), copy off what I need, reformat it, and then put it back in my original computer, and install Windows etc. from scratch. A lot of work, yes, but everything will be OK.

Kieran

Atm my disk is connect in my laptop (BD 32bit) , trying to save some file.... I can't believe it yet....

Tips for who has a few files in quarantine folder (i have more of 10,000)

In quarantine folder u can see file like this name:

BDQF_1269075850_1.bdq

BDQF_1269075850_1.xml

BDQF_1269075850_2.bdq

BDQF_1269075850_2.xml

Open .xml and u can see a original name (of .bdq) with a original position. Then , rename .bdq and move manually in the original folder.. I think work.

This if have only few file in quarantine.. sure im not go crazy to move manually 10.000 file

• Hoping someone in the technical team can help with some issues I'm struggling to resolve.

Background: Managed to stop BD mid scan it had found about 1300 infected files to that point, however there were only about 40 or so in the quaranteened folder. I restored what I could but was getting errors on the rest. Unfortunately my computer automatically restarted overnight. Logs on OK but couldn't start BD, repair wouldn't work and so I uninstalled and reinstalled it, have updated it and run a couple of scans. Went through all my programs to find the ones that weren't working and have uninstalled and reinstalled all of those (all of which now work). I've also tried a system restore but this won't run, I get a message telling me to ensure my antivirus is turned off even when it is. I've also tried the reccomended repair option by pressing F8 as the system starts up and following your instructions through, and I've installed and ran the patch you've created but I'm still getting the following problems:

- Bitdefender firewall won't enable. I get the error message 'Failed to communicate with BitDefender Security service!'

- When I log onto my computer I get a message that 'atl80.dll' is missing. (Message is triggered by a component of Office 2007, which I've uninstalled and reinstalled but this hasn't fixed it).

- The odd icon for various windows elements is missing (but most of the programs still run)

- The calculator in windows doesn't work (I get the message that 'C:\Windows\system32\calc.exe' is not a valid Win32 application.

I'm on Windows 7 64bit. It came pre-installed so I don't have installation CDs but I do have recovery discs.

How can I fix the above problems and get windows to check for and repair any others (as I'm sure that there are some which I simply haven't found yet).

Thanks,

Steve

• tried this even before contacting the support in the morning - after the first time it says successful and after reboot that the bootmanager is missing - seems to be even worse than before - and after trying again windows is again trying to repair itself while booting like before - only difference is that starting the repair tool using the windows cd it says no errors found - but still doesnt boot, neither in normal nor in safe mode...

Since I was unable to get Startup Repair to work, I selected the Advanced link at the bottom of the window and did a system restore. It worked and I was able to boot ok. I then ran the patch for bootable computer on their website and am now BidDefender Update Now. I will get back if this works. Good Luck and hang in there.

• @noisymonk and all the users of 2008 or 2009 products:

The released patch is Only for the 2010 version. Using it may restore some of the files quarantined, however most of them will not match as each of the 3 versions (2008.2009 or 2010) have different engines and files locations.

So I may just have F***** up my pc by installing an incompatible patch....

Then why the BLEEP is there no mention of this on this site: http://news.bitdefender.com/NW1431-en--Tro...date-issue.html this site: http://www.bitdefender.com/site/KnowledgeBase/consumer/#638 or this site: http://www.bitdefender.com/site/KnowledgeBase/consumer/#639

Those sites clearly state that the patch is a solution for the false positive problem users experience and makes NO mention of the fact that it only applies to bitdefender 2010 yet those sites are available directly from bitdefenders home page. FIX THIS ASAP

• @biomechman: Have you tried starting Windows in both Normal and Safe Mode ? Please try to boot your laptop using the Windows CD and repair it if you can't boot in either Normal / Safe Mode.

@iss: the notification 'Portscan attempt blocked' is not related with this issue. That message is displayed when BitDefender is blocking an attempt of hijacking your computer using an open port.

@misterTTT: engine 7.30856 is the bad one. You need to update BitDefender as mentioned on my previous post, at step9. If you can't update BitDefender, please tell me why - error message / tab grayed out ? Follow these steps:

- Start the computer in SAFE MODE

- Go to START -> RUN and type Services.msc

- Search for the BitDefender Update service and make sure it is on Automatic.

- restart the computer

- try to update BitDefender

@THEPAPA - We are working to release a patch for 2008/2009. It will be posted shortly on the respectful forum category.

No, the upgrade is free if you already have a valid license key. If you need further assistance on the upgrade please PM (private message) me with your email address where you wish to information to be sent to.

@ Daniel M.: I've rebooted in SAFE MODE, then changed VIRUS SHIELD to MANUAL and checked that automatic updates is AUTOMATIC. Then rebooted normally. Installed patch. BitDefender services are not responding (vsserv.exe). Rebooted computer. When I right click on the (greyed out) BD taskbar icon, and choose UPDATE NOW, a red exclamation mark appears and status: none.

When I go back into SAFE MODE, install the patch again and change the VIRUS SHIELD to AUTOMATIC and reboot BitDefender works and I can update, but the engine version is: 70.30856. Even after rebooting, when asked to reboot to finalize the upgrade, the engine version is still: 70.30856. I repeat that this is BD Internet Security 2010. Everything went fine with Total Security 2010.

• pApA^LeGBa
    edited March 2010

how about some solutions in other languages????? your german was perfect when you wanted my money. how about some technical support for your own faults in german and also other languages too?

in the german forum we need to help ourselves and those who don´t speak english. very poor.

• @kolarik1: we have released a patch for the 2010 version that does that job for you: restoring all quarantined files.

Attention: If any files are present after the patch was run that means that those files were already restored so it is free to delete them.

@Flasher: Microsoft has a software that will fix the installer for you. It's called: Windows Cleanup Utility and it can be used on all platforms Vista/Win 7 both 32 and 64bits.

Flasher as a second option we are working to update the actual patch so it will not use the Windows Installer to execute the file so, in other words, that error will be resolved very shortly. I will post the updated patch as soon as I have it ready.

@BruntFCA and @presmanno: Yes, if you uninstall / reinstall BD then all quarantined files will be deleted with the uninstall process. For those using 2008/2009 versions I would recommend to wait for the patch release if you have files you wish to restore. If no files are to be restored you can proceed with the upgrade.

I will post a global notification when:

- the new version of the patch for 2010

- the patch for the 2008 or 2009 version will be released

A KB article will also be included

@progmatrix: indeed, that is correct. As a workaround, you may run the patch even if you have a 2008/2009 version as most of the files will be restored having the same locations.

• Engine version: 7.30843

Safe?

Not getting the x.xx848 for some reason xD did manual update, twice the patch. I've got the antivirus disabled and probably keep it like that I think :D

• BitDee
    edited March 2010

Okay i manage to make my OS boot again. I copied the drivers from a working system32 folder to my Damaged OS and did multiple Repairs.

In SAFE mode i tried the patch, but i get an error and the installation stops.

I can not run Bitdefender either, it is as if it has deleted some of its own components.

What can i do to fix this prob? Thank you.

patchwontinstall.jpg

• @SteveR: For Windows 7 please restore it to an earlier time. That needs to be done in Windows Safe Mode. To learn how to start in Safe Mode and do the restore please read This article.

Once you have restored Windows to a previous date please read and follow this KB article: Click here

@_Chris_: even if you are using an older version and not the 2010, NO damage will be done to your computer. Please scroll up and read my previous posts explaining the effects on using the patch and not having the 2010.

@misterTTT: you first need to disable the Real time protection service ( BitDefender Virus Shield ) , restart the computer AGAIN in safe mode then run the patch. Afterwords, you do NOT yet restart the Virus shield service, make sure first that you have the correct engine version ending in *848.

@Typhke: you get that engine because you have a 32bits version of BitDefender installed, not a x64. I am personally using a 32bits version on this machine and I have Engine version: 7.30867 ; Virus signatures: 5553560

• BitDee
    edited March 2010

Okay i manage to make my OS boot again. I copied the drivers from a working system32 folder to my Damaged OS and did multiple Repairs.

In SAFE mode i tried the patch, but i get an error and the installation stops.

I can not run Bitdefender either, it is as if it has deleted some of its own components.

What can i do to fix this prob? Thank you.

patchwontinstall.jpg

What i did:

1. Logged in a working OS Windows 7 64-bit and copied C:\Windows\System32\drivers folder to the Damaged System32 folder ( Not bootable OS)

2. Booted from a repair disc a few times to do an automatic fix. If you dont have a repair disc go to a buddy's pc and go to Control panel backup and restore

and create a system repair disc. It will burn it AUTOmatically for you on a DVD. Dont forget to insert a blank DVD.

3. Rebooted and Windows is booting again, but the patch doesnt work for me.

4. that's it for now.. to make your OS bootable again. But after booting in it i noticed that it isnt working properly yet. Alot of drivers missing. The patch isnt working either in safe mode or normal mode

• @Typhke: you get that engine because you have a 32bits version of BitDefender installed, not a x64. I am personally using a 32bits version on this machine and I have Engine version: 7.30867 ; Virus signatures: 5553560

No, got 64-bit and installed the 64-bit update from the site also. Installation is not in the Program Files (x86) but in the normal Program Files. But np. I've got it solved. And I'll keep it disabled a few days and try to do an update frequently and see if it changes cuz now I have the latest version, it tells me.

Thanks for the help!

• Hello

Your "little" screw-up is giving me a bigger headache with every hour. I can't boot up my Windows 7 64bit, automated recovery doesn't work, it rejects the setup disk, saying it's not the right one, recovery disc doesn't work, it lost all restore points, sfc /scannow says there's a repair in progress... I just can't set it up again! Hope you'll have a fix for un-bootable systems soon!

And for F***s sake test your updates!

• *BUMP*

Two hours since I responded and still waiting on help.

• I ran the patch_64b_update_issue.exe file and after a couple of reboots my Windows 7 x64 system is almost performing like it was before Saturday morning. However, there are still several programs that were quarantined and supposedly restored that refuse to run, reporting that “xxx.exe is not a valid Win32 application.”

Any word on this?

• Can I just ask my namesake DanyDan a question? I appreciate you're a busy man right now but can you just confirm to me that the following is what it should be?

Virus Signatures 5474032

Engine Version 7.30848

Last updated: today at 14:39

I'm running 64 bit version of Internet Security 2010 on Vista Ultimate 64 bit SP1.

• D May, my BD just did an update & that is the current version that you have right now.

Dogman, have you tried reinstalling those apps?

• @_Chris_: even if you are using an older version and not the 2010, NO damage will be done to your computer. Please scroll up and read my previous posts explaining the effects on using the patch and not having the 2010.

Thanks for the reply. And I read your previous posts. But that doesn't explain that my computer (Vista x64 and Bitdefender IS 2009) was struck by this false positive thing yesterday, and I was still able to boot into it multiple times this morning (albeit I got some errors). Then I ran the patch and now I am getting a BSOD on normal boot, I can still boot into safe mode though...

So it seems that it was destructive in my case....