Bad Update Or....? - Solution Here: Http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=18789

Comments

• thanks for letting your customers know that the earlier patch was just for 2010 products i am sure many other users like my self have tried to run it on older versions with no joy.

• One of the mods stated earlier that it would be in the desktop folder within that Bitdefender folder.

Should be, but I can't find one.

Maybe it doesn't exist when the list is empty?

My BitDefender data is at that location...

I have my folder options to make hidden files visible but I still can't see any Quarantine folder... I have files listed in Quarantine...

That's mostly why I am here trying to see if there's a fix... my system is running OK but I am worried that I shouldn't have those files in quarantine...

• I haven't tried it myself but it should be

C:\Users\===YOUR USER NAME ===\AppData\Roaming\BitDefender\

You may need to have your options set to see hidden files...

Thanks, getting closer but still not there. I changed options to see hidden files, but make it to:

C:\Users\==MY USERNAME==\AppData\Roaming\BitDefender\

once I get here, there is only a folder "Desktop". I open it and only a folder "Profiles" and so on, but no "Quarantine" folder. Other suggestions?

thanks

• L.o.D.
    L.o.D. ✭✭
    edited March 2010
    My BitDefender data is at that location...

I have my folder options to make hidden files visible but I still can't see any Quarantine folder... I have files listed in Quarantine...

That's mostly why I am here trying to see if there's a fix... my system is running OK but I am worried that I shouldn't have those files in quarantine...

I found mine at G:\ProgramData\BitDefender\Desktop\Quarantine.

However, my list in BD is empty but not the folder.

biomechman, if on win7, look in the above location.

• Thanks, getting closer but still not there. I changed options to see hidden files, but make it to:

C:\Users\==MY USERNAME==\AppData\Roaming\BitDefender\

once I get here, there is only a folder "Desktop". I open it and only a folder "Profiles" and so on, but no "Quarantine" folder. Other suggestions?

thanks

OK, See Post 1349! Thanks LoD, and all others that have been working hard on helping others! It is more productive to work together than to beach about it.

• does anyone know where to find a vista recovery cd for download?

thanks to bd for ruining my computer and wasting my weekend

http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/windows-vist...-disc-download/

It should work

• OK, See Post 1349! Thanks LoD, and all others that have been working hard on helping others! It is more productive to work together than to beach about it.

So you found the folder?

Is it full or empty?

• thanks tried it last night and didn't work but might as well try again... tears of pain and anger

• Great. And where do I go to make that hapen without having to wait 3 weeks for a reasonable response unlike the issue I have had with your backup for 4 weeks now?

Could I please have someone from BD update me on this? My post has obviously gotten understandably buried.

Thanks for your efforts.

• @biomechman: thanks for the update, I do however need one more thing from you. Please ZIP / WinRAR ALL XML files from the Quarantine Folder and send me the archive via PM.

The quarantine folder is:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\BitDefender\Desktop\Quarantine

C:\Users\All Users\BitDefender\Desktop\Quarantine

or

C:\ProgramData\BitDefender\Desktop\Quarantine\

depending on your Operating System.

Ok, I got the quarantine folder, but I am not sure what you mean by sending it "via PM". Please explain and I will send.

biomechman

• Great. And where do I go to make that hapen without having to wait 3 weeks for a reasonable response unlike the issue I have had with your backup for 4 weeks now?

Could I please have someone from BD update me on this? My post has obviously gotten understandably buried.

Thanks for your efforts.

• Oh too bad! My firefox and a couple of other applications didn't work and that's what I did, I restored them...

You could try and check this windows photo viewer:

http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/...-for-windows-7/

It should work. Alternatively, if you haven't done it, you could see what restore points you have on your computer as well as possibly trying to repair windows, with your dvd.

In any case, if your main problem is the photo viewer, you're very lucky.

I fixed the problem! I tried the link you gave me and followed the instruction down to a T but still didn't work. I don't know if the original PhotoViewer.dll was FUBAR'ed too much to allow the new PhotoViewer DLL to work. So all I did was go back to a system restore point a few days ago. I knew that would work in the first place but I just wanted to try other methods first (don't ask me why). Only had to update a few programs here and there but that was about it.

But, I still have a few files that are in Quarantine that I still can't restore :blink:

• thanks tried it last night and didn't work but might as well try again... tears of pain and anger

Ok, it has worked for me in the past.

Well, do you have your data backed up? You should get a live cd... so you could at least access your data, move it to an external drive... and then just format...

I suggest you upgrade to windows 7 if you can, it's much better than vista.

• After about 10 attempts, I'm now to the point where Startup repair has flat out said that it cannot fix the problem. I can't system restore. I can't load last good configuration. Normal and safe mode neither one will boot. I'd like to backup some files with a rescue CD but I have gotten no response on whether or not I can use an external hard drive in place of a memory stick to back up to. A memory stick will definitely not do the trick memory wise. Re-formating seems to be my only option.

• So you found the folder?

Is it full or empty?

Yes, I found folder following the path you posted. The folder is full, and my Quarantine in BD is full. I am attempting to send the xlm files to DanyDan now.

• Thank you hep1! I will try this disk on my laptop & update if it works.

• The update doesn't work for me, I can reboot in windows 7 almost no lost. The problem is bitdefender isn't working anymore and I can't install anything. Someone knows about the error 2894 ??? The only datas I was able to save from the BD 2010 is the quarantine file. I can't unvault them as BD2010 isn't working. What to do now ???

post-32752-1269193296_thumb.jpg

• Ok, it has worked for me in the past.

Well, do you have your data backed up? You should get a live cd... so you could at least access your data, move it to an external drive... and then just format...

I suggest you upgrade to windows 7 if you can, it's much better than vista.

thank you for the help... if i go for win 7 do you think i need the full version, since i am without vista dvd and computer will not boot past black death screens?

• Please read the following quote from Post: 1348

@Biomechman: the Quarantine folder on Windows 7 is at this location: C:\ProgramData\BitDefender\Desktop\Quarantine\ OR

The Quarantine folder will be present even if no files are entered in quarantine. You will find it empty. I have sent you a PM (Private Message) with the info you requested.

@redotter: Please check this article for instructions on how to create a Recovery CD for Windows Vista

@taekwonjudo: can you please update me on the issue you are facing ? Thank you for understanding.

@Thurmas: Feel free to use the USB external hard-disk to back-up the files.

• thank you for the help... if i go for win 7 do you think i need the full version, since i am without vista dvd and computer will not boot past black death screens?

Main thing is that you access your data and store it somewhere. After that's done, you can simply install windows 7 and it will move out the old windows installation to a folder "windows.old". Once it's installed, your computer will run with windows 7. So, I think any version of windows 7 will do that.

Since you're starting from scratch you might as well upgrade your OS.

• Please read the following quote from Post: 1348

@taekwonjudo: can you please update me on the issue you are facing ? Thank you for understanding.

I have an acer laptop that cannot boot. (Win Vista x64)

I do not have a recovery CD for Vista.

I cannot get to safe mode to use a restore point.

I downloaded TS 2010 as an upgrade so I do not have a BD Recovery CD.

Windows cannot repair the boot issue.

If you need any further specific information, please ask & I will fill in blanks as I can.

Thanks for the help.

• DannyDan Could you please help me ??? I can't install the patch, I can't reinstall BD 2010. The only things I have for sure is windows seven running, quarantined files, internet connection. The problem : I can't install anythings because a said error 2894 occur. please see the jpg file

post-32752-1269194463_thumb.jpg

• QUOTE (hep1 @ Mar 21 2010, 12:29 PM) *

http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/windows-vist...-disc-download/

It should work

Thank you hep1! I will try this disk on my laptop & update if it works.

Ok. Grabbed the ISO, burned the image, was quite hopeful when I got the option to select repair my system. Sadly it doesn't see the OS.

• Ok. Grabbed the ISO, burned the image, was quite hopeful when I got the option to select repair my system. Sadly it doesn't see the OS.

Is there a way to point to where the OS in installed?

• Is there a way to point to where the OS in installed?

The only option it gives me is to install drivers.... (they say for the HDD) which are locked in the recovery portion of the HDD I assume.... which I still haven't figured out how to access.

Any ideas?

• The only option it gives me is to install drivers.... (they say for the HDD) which are locked in the recovery portion of the HDD I assume.... which I still haven't figured out how to access.

Any ideas?

What happens when you try to install the drivers?

That may be why it cannot see the OS.

• What happens when you try to install the drivers?

That may be why it cannot see the OS.

I need to have a disk with the drivers. None came with the laptop :(

• what button do I press to fix my computer?

thank you!

- nanny

• I need to have a disk with the drivers. None came with the laptop :(

See, that is why I never liked prebuilts & laptops. There is no reason why the store cannot give you a recovery disc in case they need to fix windows.

What you might be able to do is go to the manufacturer's website for your HDD & download drivers to a flash drive if possible to install on the other.

• Ok i went through all the same problems everyone else is sorta having. Of course got the bug they sent and started getting all the trojan reports and stuff. Restarted comp and then it tried to fix computer when I logged on I could not use any kind of 64 bit directory file.

I tried to download the patch they gave and it would not compeltely download and gave me a error

I cannot find any of the quarenteened files

This has completely screwed me I really do not know any other options to go.

I cannot restore and I do not have any disks for the current version of windows I am running on (win 7 professional btw)

Any kind of options i might be missing here?

thank you!

- nanny

• @BitDee: The error you posted is related to BitDefender only. If your Operating System is working properly it's safe to repair / reinstall BitDefender. I did not understood to what missing drivers are you referring to so please provide me with more details - if possible screenshots of the error messages you receive.

@Dogman: I need the names of those programs please. Also please tell me if you still have files that are in Quarantine AFTER the patch was used.

@D May - yes Daniel, that is the correct engine version and I do believe that everything should be resolved now with your computer.

@_Chris_: Please make a System restore to a previous time in Safe Mode. The BSOD should be resolved. As I have already mentioned , the current patch is only for the 2010 version. If you don't have any files quarantined then feel free to re-install BitDefender 2009 or upgrade and use the 2010 version.

@L.o.D.: I truly appreciate what are you trying to do, however, for the time being, I can manage it. Thanks for the support :)

We are all trying to help each other here, no need to flame each other ;) Thank you for understanding.

@biomechman: thanks for the update, I do however need one more thing from you. Please ZIP / WinRAR ALL XML files from the Quarantine Folder and send me the archive via PM.

The quarantine folder is:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\BitDefender\Desktop\Quarantine

or

C:\ProgramData\BitDefender\Desktop\Quarantine\

depending on your Operating System.

DannyDan

Three applications that report "is not a valid Win32 application" are cmd.exe, charmap.exe, and calc.exe - all in the System32 directory. Hopefully these are the only files that have problems. I will keep BitDefender posted if I find more problematic files as I use different programs on the system.

The quarantine list still contains 500+ files. I have not tried restoring all of them since many suffer from the "file name already exists / failed to find the specified path" problem. Since there is no option "Do not replace file" (which would be nice in future editions of BitDefender) and move on to the next highlighted item, I have not tried replacing other files.

thank you!

- nanny

To solve your issue press "uninstall bitdefender" and remove that virus!! Just kidding. Where are you at in this process? What version of windows are you using? Above all have you backed up your data recently? Answer those so we can help you better.

• nanny
    edited March 2010
    To solve your issue press "uninstall bitdefender" and remove that virus!! Just kidding. Where are you at in this process? What version of windows are you using? Above all have you backed up your data recently? Answer those so we can help you better.

I just got this computer from Best Buy and it has Windows. I don't know what version

I don't know if it is backed up. How can I check that?

• Ok. Grabbed the ISO, burned the image, was quite hopeful when I got the option to select repair my system. Sadly it doesn't see the OS.

Sorry to hear about that, it's not certain to work unfortunately. I hope this helps...

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial148.html

I've been through this before of trying to repair my vista and it wasn't easy...

• I just got this computer from Best Buy and it has Windows. I don't know what version

Use belarc advisor to get the system info.

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

• See, that is why I never liked prebuilts & laptops. There is no reason why the store cannot give you a recovery disc in case they need to fix windows.

What you might be able to do is go to the manufacturer's website for your HDD & download drivers to a flash drive if possible to install on the other.

Correction on this. I hit ok & am now able to access the drives..... however, I don't recognize anything in there that would be a driver for HDD.

• What you might be able to do is go to the manufacturer's website for your HDD & download drivers to a flash drive if possible to install on the other.

That is correct. For an easier search look on the back of the laptop for a Service TAG or Model. That will help you find the specific drivers on the manufacturer's website faster.

@nanny - can you please provide me with more details about what was happening with your computer ?

@kevinh: you can download the ISO and burn it on a CD / DVD to create a disk. That way you will be able to repair or restore your Windows to a previous time. Furthermore you can borrow one from a friend.

@Dogman: are those files also present in the Quarantine folder / list ? The list can be found in BitDefender Security Center -> Antivirus -> Quarantine

• I just got this computer from Best Buy and it has Windows. I don't know what version

Press start and right click on computer. Press properties and it should give your windows version. If you just recently purchased the computer it probably has windows 7. Check to see if it's 32 bit or 64 bit. Should be 64 bit if you are experiencing this problem but nothing is guaranteed.

What I mean by being backed up is do you have any important data on the computer that you cannot access without it? If so then you need to try to recover those files before doing anything else.

• Does anyone know where i can get a download for win 7 home premium.

This is one of the problems I have with having to reinstall windows. I built this computer last year and added vista as the OS. When win 7 came out i put the home premium on it however that did not have the options that I really needed to have so I used the upgrade advisor to upgrade to the professional.

I know i cannot just download the professional so I have to go back either to vista (which i have the disks for) or go to home premium HOWEVER i do not have the disks for that AND i cant download it from the site anymore. I still have all the keys for the OS I just need a link to somewhere i can download it for FREE since i refuse to pay ANY out of the pocket money for the mistake that was made by this company........

• I restored all the files in quarantine but i still have microsoft application which are still not working. Looks like restoring the files from quarantine fixed windows media player and other but when i start Internet Explorer i get the message that the program is not running correct and it closes and when i start Calc.exe (the calculator aplication ) i get the message " not a valid win32 application", etc.

I tried windows repair but nothing happened. I don't have any restore points.

Please provide support.

I'm running on Windows 7 Professional x64 and i do not want to reinstall windows. That's why i had the antivirus first..but it seems it screwed me up :).

• Use belarc advisor to get the system info.

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

I went to the sight and did the download. it says intallation failed

• That is correct. For an easier search look on the back of the laptop for a Service TAG or Model. That will help you find the specific drivers on the manufacturer's website faster.

@nanny - can you please provide me with more details about what was happening with your computer ?

@kevinh: you can download the ISO and burn it on a CD / DVD to create a disk. That way you will be able to repair or restore your Windows to a previous time. Furthermore you can borrow one from a friend.

@Dogman: are those files also present in the Quarantine folder / list ? The list can be found in BitDefender Security Center -> Antivirus -> Quarantine

ISO for which thing are you talking about.....

• Does anyone know where i can get a download for win 7 home premium.

This is one of the problems I have with having to reinstall windows. I built this computer last year and added vista as the OS. When win 7 came out i put the home premium on it however that did not have the options that I really needed to have so I used the upgrade advisor to upgrade to the professional.

I know i cannot just download the professional so I have to go back either to vista (which i have the disks for) or go to home premium HOWEVER i do not have the disks for that AND i cant download it from the site anymore. I still have all the keys for the OS I just need a link to somewhere i can download it for FREE since i refuse to pay ANY out of the pocket money for the mistake that was made by this company........

Are you one of the ones who purchased windows 7 from digital river for $30. If so contact them to buy the disc for like 13 dollars and to get your cd-key.

• nanny
    edited March 2010
    Press start and right click on computer. Press properties and it should give your windows version. If you just recently purchased the computer it probably has windows 7. Check to see if it's 32 bit or 64 bit. Should be 64 bit if you are experiencing this problem but nothing is guaranteed.

What I mean by being backed up is do you have any important data on the computer that you cannot access without it? If so then you need to try to recover those files before doing anything else.

when i right clicked it says view, sort by, refresh, paste, paste shortcut, undo move, new and personalize

I give up. this is too hard

I don't know if I have data. what do I click to find out?

• I can open open windows but can not access the internet so using another computer. D ownloaded the patch to ausb. The problem is the computer thinks the patch is infected and quarantines it what should i do.

• L.o.D.
    L.o.D. ✭✭
    edited March 2010
    when i right clicked it says view, sort by, refresh, paste, paste shortcut, undo move, new and personalize

No no. He meant click on the COMPUTER icon on your desktop then click properties.

• Bigchess
    edited March 2010

Ok be sure you are right clicking on computer and not the blank spaces between the icons. (Depending on how your computer is set up the "computer" icon is either in the start menu or on the desktop. Also if you do not know if you have data on your PC then you probably do not. Can your computer boot to windows ok without any errors. If so then your doing much better than most on this forum. If your computer can boot check the quarantine tab in BD to see if anything is quarantined. If not do not worry about this problem. You were probably not affected by it.

• Ok be sure you are right clicking on computer and not the blank spaces between the icons. Also if you do not know if you have data on your PC then you probably do not. Can your computer boot to windows ok without any errors. If so then your doing much better than most on this forum. If your computer can boot check the quarantine tab in BD to see if anything is quarantined. If not do not worry about this problem. You were probably not affected by it.

I realy don't understand all the tecky talk.

I'm giving up.

thank you for your help.

• I realy don't understand all the tecky talk.

I'm giving up.

thank you for your help.

Ok call BD for more help. Good luck.