Bad Update Or....? - Solution Here: Http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=18789

Comments

• fi2010: Please follow the steps below and disable the Real Time protection service then try to run the patch again:

1. Restart your Windows in Safe Mode by pressing the F8 key until you see the boot menu.

2. When the computer has started, click on the START menu button then go to RUN

3. Type services.msc and hit OK

4. Search in the list for BitDefender Virus Shield and double click on it.

5. Choose the startup type to Manual and click on OK

6. Restart the computer and follow the steps presented in This article

• I realy don't understand all the tecky talk.

I'm giving up.

thank you for your help.

nanny, are you using the computer that you are asking about to post here?

When you first go on your computer, you see a background picture of some sort correct?

I have attached what my desktop looks like.

Yours will be similar with it's own background pic (the dog) with the icons on the left side.

You need to find the one named COMPUTER & click on it with the right mouse button.

post-25035-1269197440_thumb.jpg

• Are you one of the ones who purchased windows 7 from digital river for $30. If so contact them to buy the disc for like 13 dollars and to get your cd-key.

Yes i am and probably plan on doing that HOWEVER i really need my computer ASAP. If you know about digital rivers then you would also know that I am a studen which means homework.... Waiting a week for a disk to arrive in the mail will not work and put me too far behind in some classes to catch up.

• nanny, are you using the computer that you are asking about to post here?

When you first go on your computer, you see a background picture of some sort correct?

I have attached what my desktop looks like.

Yours will be similar with it's own background pic (the dog) with the icons on the left side.

You need to find the one named COMPUTER & click on it with the right mouse button.

Nice have not been on my windows 7 machine enough to know computer is on the desktop ;) Afraid to turn it on still until this is cleared up :P

• Nice have not been on my windows 7 machine enough to know computer is on the desktop ;) Afraid to turn it on still until this is cleared up :P

Well, it's not there by default.

If nanny does not have them there, nanny will need to right click as he/she did before, click personalize & then click change desktop icons to add it.

• Sorry, I read up to page 29 and I wake up this morning and it's in the 70's. Not going to read that much.

I restored the files I could in the quarantine, but two come with the same name exist popup:

KernalBase.dll.mui

WinSTATPI.dll.mui

On Windows 7.

Do I just ignore it or what?

• @FakeVirus.5: Please read the following KB article:

Click Here !

• Ok call BD for more help. Good luck.

Tried this but when i choose safe mode the computer said windows failed to start. I repaired this by using the Vista installation disc. Had to do it five times though. Tried to do it again and the same thing happened. What should I do now if I can't go into safe mode.

• Just wanted to post a quick update...I downloaded the patch, ran it and rebooted. All seems ok so far - I've opened up a couple of programs and no hitches, had a quick scoot around and nothing seems to be missing so so far so good.

I think I got off lightly - I managed to read the forum posts before doing anything so just waited for the patch. Phew.

• Hi, everyone, I've been following along with everyone else through this insanity, but have yet to find anythings that pertains more directly to my situation, so I thought I'd join in and see if anyone has advice for me.

When this first cropped up, I had something like 60 000 files affected. Bitdefender disinfected some (I assume), deleted some, and quarantined some. Small problems were cropping up, like web pages not loading all the way and things freezing, etc. I did a restore back to a previous date, and my computer is booting up okay, though I do get an error that a certain file is missing (I forget exactly which one off the top of my head), and some programs appear not to be working (hp media player comes to mind, and iTunes won't work because I need to reinstall Quicktime, for example). IE is working, obviously, so clearly some stuff is affected, and some is not. I do have a laundry list of items still in the quarantine tab in BD, as well (I am running 2009 and waiting for the patch).

I'm a little afraid to fiddle around too much - I know my way around a computer somewhat and if given some good step-by-step instructions, I'm usually okay. I'm just here to A) see if anyone is in a similar boat as me and what they did and B) ask if anyone thinks that I should try a data recovery tool to get those lost files, and if so, what do you recommend? Am I going to have to reinstall Windows (running Vista, btw), and what order should I do everything in? (What I mean is, should I be trying to recover those files first, or should I wait until there is eventually a patch for BD 09?) Anything anyone can offer is greatly appreciated!

I really hope this all gets cleared up for everyone. I'm pretty choked about a few little errors on my computer, so I can only imagine what all of you who are having major issues must be feeling! Good luck, everyone!

Oh, yeah! Just as an interesting tidbit - I thought I'd share that one of the security words I had to type in to register as a user was "fiasco". How fitting! ;)

• Vista 64 laptop.

Patch will not install without errors.

Performed a windows restore yesterday in order to boot and log on. thought that had solved the problem. came in this morning and machine was dead again. performed restore again.

started windows in safe mode, disabled BD in Services so it cannot start back up on a normal boot. downloaded the patch from BD. Ran. Would not install, reported errors that it could not find hooks in several .dll files.

Does this mean the patch did not work and I should not turn BD back on.

Should I uninstall BD and reinstall from the download?

• Forgot to add that I still have the realtime updates disabled.

And that little dude with the sunglasses was supposed to be my point B! Lol! Whoops!

• That is correct. For an easier search look on the back of the laptop for a Service TAG or Model. That will help you find the specific drivers on the manufacturer's website faster.

DanyDan. This still is not helping me. Acer does not provide a recovery disk online for their laptops. They have all of the drivers/programs available... which I can access through that windows ISO I burned earlier.... however.... none of them give access to the HDD.

Please help me further troubleshoot this issue & let me know something else to try to get into my system. I cannot format this drive as there is critical data on the drive, not to mention numerous programs that didn't come with an install disk.

• @cciortan: I have posted an announcement on this topic: Click here !

You will still need to keep the Real time protection disabled as service until the patch will be released.

@Kylek: Are you using a 2009 version of BitDefender ? If so please check This topic !

• fi2010: Please follow the steps below and disable the Real Time protection service then try to run the patch again:

1. Restart your Windows in Safe Mode by pressing the F8 key until you see the boot menu.

2. When the computer has started, click on the START menu button then go to RUN

3. Type services.msc and hit OK

4. Search in the list for BitDefender Virus Shield and double click on it.

5. Choose the startup type to Manual and click on OK

6. Restart the computer and follow the steps presented in This article

Trie this but when i choose safe mode the computer said windows failed to start. I repaired this by using the Vista installation disc. Had to do it five times though. Tried to do it again and the same thing happened. Was able to repair it again. What should I do now if I can't go into safe mode.

• Hi,

I tried the patch and now have two machines in the never-ending "Startup Repair" cycle. I cannot get into safe mode so cannot do anything. Hopefully the patch for those who cannot boot up will be here shortly!!!!!!!

br

Tom

Trie this but when i choose safe mode the computer said windows failed to start. I repaired this by using the Vista installation disc. Had to do it five times though. Tried to do it again and the same thing happened. Was able to repair it again. What should I do now if I can't go into safe mode.
  • Thanks, DanyDan, but I already knew the patch was on its way. In re-reading my post, I realize I didn't make myself very clear in my desire to be detailed.

Not only are some of the files that were affected quarantined, there were also some that were deleted. I am assuming the patch, of course, will not recover things that have been deleted. What I was asking was if anyone can recommend a data recovery program to retrieve these files, and should I try retrieving deleted files before installing the patch (when it is available) or after. Or maybe I should be reinstalling Windows Vista. OR if someone has an entirely different course of action I should be taking, I'm open to suggestions. :)

I'm not a techie, by any stretch, but I'm not totally unfamiliar with computers, and I'm not afraid to ask questions if I don't understand, so advise away, please! ;)

Thanks in advance!

• I had to reinstall Firefox, BitDefender, VLC media player, and download the BitDefender patch.

I first uninstalled FF, VLC and finally, BD.

Then, rebooted.

Reinstalled FF, VLC, and BD.

Upon the installation of the BD patch, I was prompted to reboot.

Rebooted...and all is working properly.

(Win7pro 64)

I shudder to think of what life is like for folks who aren't computer savvy. I'm an IT professional and it was no sweat for me whatsoever. But, I'm guessing that for most, this is a nerve-racking experience they want to forget.

subexpression

• @aqua-plane: Please try to Restore your System using the Windows installation CD.

@cciortan: I would recommend you to take a look on these examples of Recovering deleted files softwares. Please visit This website

@fi2010: can you please provide me with more details: I do not understand your current Operating System condition.

Please explain the "Same thing happened". Can you reproduce the steps you take until the error occur ?

• What a mess - I caught this in time - but for me it's the last straw in the SAD and PATHETIC story that is Windows x64. There is so much sh*t in Win 64 that doesn't work, so little support, and so few x64 windows programs that I'm shifting over to Ubuntu.

Face it people it's time to ditch this crap. Multiple viruses, multiple trojans, infinite security alerts, etc, etc.

• @aqua-plane: Please try to Restore your System using the Windows installation CD.

@cciortan: I would recommend you to take a look on these examples of Recovering deleted files softwares. Please visit This website

@fi2010: can you please provide me with more details: I do not understand your current Operating System condition.

Please explain the "Same thing happened". Can you reproduce the steps you take until the error occur ?

Restarted windows presse F8 choose safe mode and the computer said Windows failed to start etc and to insert windows disc. Did that, clicked repair your computer and it repaired it and when it restarted, windows opened normally. This happedned twice when I tried to start in safe mode. Hope that explains it better.

• And Ubuntu is 100% secure with no chance of a threat?

I'd say it's fairly to very secure. B)

• darknothing
    edited March 2010

What do you recommend for people that cd drives do not work any longer? how can i repair windows...

AND PLEASE TELL ME why i have not received my support ticket email confirmation for march 20th (cbeaulac@cogeco.ca)

ALSO if i repair windows whats keeping BD from doing the same update again/ deleting everything???

• L.o.D.
    L.o.D. ✭✭
    edited March 2010
    I'd say it's fairly to very secure. B)

Just like MACs are right?

Hackers don't waste their time with them because there is no point.

Not because it's secure.

The only reason why they go after windows is because it's used on a VERY large scale compared to MACs etc.

darknothing, if you have a flash drive, copy the contents of the cd to that.

No it's not, nothing is 100% secure - but I don't have to disable UAC to get my work done. I can log in as my regular account and use su/sudo when necessary.

I can also make full use of the ram that is installed instead of running 32 bit crap on top of 64 bit. I don't have to live with the fustercluck that is IE8, and I can run windows (32 -bit) in a virtual machine that I can blow away the next time a disaster happens.

Check how often the sh*te that is Windows features here http://www.us-cert.gov/current/index.atom

• Phrea
    edited March 2010
    Just like MACs are right?

Hackers don't waste their time with them because there is no point.

Not because it's secure.

The only reason why they go after windows is because it's used on a VERY large scale compared to MACs etc.

darknothing, if you have a flash drive, copy the contents of the cd to that.

We're getting off-topic here, but, sir, you are quite wrong.

If you knew about how *nix worked, you wouldn't say this, you'd say that it's more secure by design, and a heck of lot more secure if I might add.

Safety by obscurity does not count for *nix.

[/off-topic]

• Although BitDefender quarantined over 60,000 files (and seemed to have deleted a few thousand more) on my laptop, my system was starting up so I thought I had escaped this ###### of a problem with relatively little damage. THEN I made the stupid mistake of trusting BitDefender's "patch", installed it, and now my system is completely dead (all I get is a frozen, black screen at start-up!!!!!). Can anyone out there give me a hand trying to solve this problem? PLEASE!!!!

• L.o.D.
    L.o.D. ✭✭
    edited March 2010
    No it's not, nothing is 100% secure - but I don't have to disable UAC to get my work done. I can log in as my regular account and use su/sudo when necessary.

I can also make full use of the ram that is installed instead of running 32 bit crap on top of 64 bit. I don't have to live with the fustercluck that is IE8, and I can run windows (32 -bit) in a virtual machine that I can blow away the next time a disaster happens.

Check how often the sh*te that is Windows features here http://www.us-cert.gov/current/index.atom

If you are decently computer savvy, you don't need UAC to begin with.

I haven't touched IE in years, I use FF.

You lost me on the ram & 32bit crap on 64bit.

if you are running a 64bit OS, you will have to run 32bits apps on it since not every most used app out there is 64bit.

You cannot avoid 32bit. So I am not sure what you are on about with that.

Phrea, you trying to tell me that no malware exists for *nix etc?

You'd be a fool if you were.

BTW, Bulbous was taking it OT by telling people to ditch windows when windows had nothing to do with this fiasco.

• @darknothing - the update that caused this has been already removed. Using the patch after you restore computer to an earlier time will restore all quarantined files and make the correct update for BitDefender. So after the patch is used, the computer restarted, everything will be as it was. Regarding the ticket I have send you via PM the ticket ID.

@f2010: You can re-install BitDefender if your Operating system is running properly.

@Bulbous: smart choice I must say. I, for one, am a unix fan :)

• I've applied the patch, and it appears my quarantined files have been restored. Now, however, the BD update service has been disabled and my BD states that my license has expired (although it shows valid on the BD site).

I've sent email to support and gotten no response, other than a response to a post I left here that was obviously a form letter (it recommended actions which, in my post, I stated that I'd done and they didn't work).

• Phrea, you trying to tell me that no malware exists for *nix etc?

That's funny, I don't remember saying that. :P

• That's funny, I don't remember saying that. :P

Never said you did. I asked IF that was what you were saying.

• Never said you did. I asked IF that was what you were saying.

L.o.D., you trying to tell me that no chickens exists for Windows etc?

Enough with this O.T. stuff already, if you want to discuss *nix safety, and Linux/Ubuntu safety in particular, I suggest you check out the Ubuntu forums, or just read up a little.

We're now just hijacking this thread, I don't think that's what we want atm.

• @darknothing - the update that caused this has been already removed. Using the patch after you restore computer to an earlier time will restore all quarantined files and make the correct update for BitDefender. So after the patch is used, the computer restarted, everything will be as it was. Regarding the ticket I have send you via PM the ticket ID.

@f2010: You can re-install BitDefender if your Operating system is running properly.

@Bulbous: smart choice I must say. I, for one, am a unix fan :)

[/q

What do you mean by reinstall ? Do you mean I should go on the internet and download it again. I can't access the bidefender on my computer as it appears it is affected too. If I reinstall will I lose the quarantined files. Sorry if this is a stupid question.

• Looking for a little help on this matter, i am sure the Bitdefender team will get to my email Ticket ID but if there is a short cut to my question poised below it would be appreciated. Apologies in advance for the length of the post.

I am on Windows 7 64 bit home OS. I have Bitdefender Internet Security 2010 virus signature 5474032, engine version 7.30848.

I received the fatal update at the time of sending but was able to stop most of the scan before too many items were quarantined. I turned off the automatic aspects of Bitdefender as directed and have not shut down my machine since then. I have access to Bitdefender and have updated it and run a scan that no longer detects the ‘Trojan.FakeAlert.5’ or any other problems.

I have manually restored as many items from the quarantine tab of Bitdefender as possible but have been left with many (hundreds) of Bitdefender and Windows system files and a few executable program files (unimportant ones so I care not). The remainder I cannot restore manually as the system asks for a path after telling me the items already exist and I have instructed the system to overwrite the existing file. I tried the patch you have issued for Windows 7 but get the below message when trying to install it from the saved location on my hard drive (desktop);

‘The installation/remove of a previous program was not completed. You will need to restart your computer to complete that installation.

After restarting your computer, run Setup again to complete the installation of Bitdefender Patch.

Setup cannot continue please click Cancel to exit.’

I read that I must reboot to install this patch but that leads to my question, which is this;

Am I now in the best position possible to reboot my machine? The reason I ask is that I my system no longer ‘sees’ my CD drive (drive D:). My concern is that, if I shutdown, can I reboot if critical system files are still in the quarantined area of Bitdefender? With no CD drive I will be unable to access the machine with a reboot disk and so will be left looking for a competent tech support guy to assist me, something that in Dubai is a lot harder to find than you might think!

From online reading of others’ reports i understand that i may end up with items in the quarantine area once the patch has successfully been installed and that these are just left over items that are not required. Have i understood that correctly, i.e. even though all should now be OK I may still have items in the quarantine area that are simply not required?

Apologies for the long question and double checking of things but i am far from an able IT person and so need to be guided through this and have reassurance that what i am going to do is correct.

Your guidance in this matter will be gratefully received.

• i have to ask once again before i give up...

is there (or will there be) any solution to fix an OS without properly running repair tool, without the possibility to run it in safe mode and without any restore points, the boot disc doesnt fix the problem as well

running startup repair from HDD always has the same error:

system repair details (german version, dont know if its named the same in US-version)

signature:

name: StartupRepairOffline

signature 01: 6.1.7600.16385

signature 02: 6.1.7600.16385

signature 03: unknown

signature 04: 21200966

signature 05: AutoFailover

signature 06: 34

signature 07: CorruptFile

version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1

ID: 1031

The CD-based startup repair says everything is fine while nothing is fine...

restore points are not there anymore (a few days ago i did one - so there has to be one!)

safe mode gives exactly the same errors

last known good configuration is not able to fix anything.

and i still dont like the option to reinstall the OS...

• Bit Defender team,

Ran the patch. Computer working fine.

However, quarentine still indicates thousands of files.

Are these duplicates and should I just ignore them?

Thanks and kudos for you're patience with all of our rants over the past 2 days.

• Hi Simonsr

Not so hard maybe - I am in Dubai. PM me, I may be able to help!

Steve

• Hi DanyDan,

Hang in there. You're doing a great job.

Unfortunately the system backup was not enabled when (for the 1st time in 20 years) I bought a PC instead of building it. All I can do is a complete re-installation which will nuke everything.

cheers

Tom

• So...I'm trying to backup what files I can with the BitDefender recovery CD I made. But it's not working. It starts out looking just like the image here: http://www.bitdefender.com/site/KnowledgeBase/business/#417

However, when it gets to the line "Scanning for USB/Firewire devices... Done." that's the last good process it goes through. The next lines read:

Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem, sorry.

Dropping you to a (very limited) shell.

Press reset button to quit.

Additional builtin commands available:

Cat mount umount

insmod rmmod lsmod

knoppix#

There is a blinking cursor after the last line.

The computer has an external hard drive plugged in, that does work. (I tested it on this laptop to make sure).

Any help would be appreciated.

• Phrea
    edited March 2010
    Hi DanyDan,

Hang in there. You're doing a great job.

Unfortunately the system backup was not enabled when (for the 1st time in 20 years) I bought a PC instead of building it. All I can do is a complete re-installation which will nuke everything.

cheers

Tom

You can always use a Linux Live CD [Knoppix, SRCD, there are loads out there ] and backup your data via any of those live cd's, so that at least all your personal files will be saved.

Remember, your files are *not* corrupted, so it's a solid option to get your personal files back.

• Hi phrea,

you are a life-saver.

I need to get to bed now but will get it tomorrow.

Thankfully i've gat a 32 bit laptop or else I would be totally stuck.

I'll see how things are by tomorrow evening.

cheers

Tom

• @f2010: You can re-install BitDefender if your Operating system is running proper

What do you mean by reinstall ? Do you mean I should go on the internet and download it again. I can't access the bidefender on my computer as it appears it is affected too. If I reinstall will I lose the quarantined files. Sorry if this is a stupid question'

The problem I am having at the moment is that I can open my desktop but can not access bitdefender or most of my files. The only files that appear unaffected are pdfs. Can not even connect to my wireless network. The patch doesn't work as the computer thinks it is infected and I can't go into safe mode. Don't understand what reinstal means and am afraid I will lose the quarantined files. What should I do ?

• I thought I was in the clear but it looks like i lost Microsoft Works, how do I get it back? I know I can buy it but I don't want to have to buy since it came with vista.

• Bigchess
    edited March 2010
    I thought I was in the clear but it looks like i lost Microsoft Works, how do I get it back? I know I can buy it but I don't want to have to buy since it came with vista.

To restore microsoft works, the disc should have came with your pc. Look in the package for the microsoft works disc.

• To restore microsoft works, the disc should have came with your pc. Look in the package for the microsoft works disc.

I don't think mine came with any, its a gateway, so maybe they don't give u the software?

• I don't think mine came with any, its a gateway, so maybe they don't give u the software?

Yeah I have four gateways and they give you the software. Sometimes you have to make your restore discs when you receive the computer. Most of the time though there is also a restore partition on the hard drive.

If you go to the start menu, look for system recovery or gateway recovery. You should see the application restore program and pick works from that program to get it back.

• Phrea
    edited March 2010
    I don't think mine came with any, its a gateway, so maybe they don't give u the software?

The software is most likely on a hidden partition on your computer, you can access it during bootup.

The thing is, that'll most likely only give you the option to restore your complete computer.

EDIT: bigchess has experience with this OEM so it seems, and he has a point, try that !

• This is so annoying.... I talked to some tech guy he told me they would send a email even in the email it says that the steps that are posted on these forums for a fix with downloading that stupid patch does not work and guess what their reply was. Download that same thing THAT DOES NOT WORK FOR ME.

Bad customer service bad tech support i guess ill take my comp in tomorrow and send the bill and it best be paid off......