Bad Update Or....? - Solution Here: Http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=18789

Comments

• This is so annoying.... I talked to some tech guy he told me they would send a email even in the email it says that the steps that are posted on these forums for a fix with downloading that stupid patch does not work and guess what their reply was. Download that same thing THAT DOES NOT WORK FOR ME.

Bad customer service bad tech support i guess ill take my comp in tomorrow and send the bill and it best be paid off......

Calm down. No need to take your computer in. They are just going to have you format your hard drive and reinstall your OS. Save yourself the time and money and do that yourself. Get what you can off your drive if you have anything you want to save.

• noisymonk
    edited March 2010

Sigh... still eagerly waiting for the 2008/2009 patch.

There is no way that it should be taking this long for simple change in versions. I'm feeling very neglected right now.

• Calm down. No need to take your computer in. They are just going to have you format your hard drive and reinstall your OS. Save yourself the time and money and do that yourself. Get what you can off your drive if you have anything you want to save.

Funny because to do this will still require money as i have said in this thread so either way it will require money that I should NOT have to pay for.

FYI in case you did not see what i posted

This machine started with vista

went to win 7 home premium (down load from digital rivers)

Then used upgrade advisor to vista professional

That alone right there if i took those steps is 3 days of downloading this is not including all my other programs and this is NOT acceptable and CANNOT happen because my computer is my school and I need it to do school work or I fail that should not be hard to understand..... So they should pay for someone to quickly reboot this system right.

• The software is most likely on a hidden partition on your computer, you can access it during bootup.

The thing is, that'll most likely only give you the option to restore your complete computer.

EDIT: bigchess has experience with this OEM so it seems, and he has a point, try that !

its asking me to pick a date to restore from. I assume just spend the $40 and not have to deal with this anymore.

• its asking me to pick a date to restore from. I assume just spend the $40 and not have to deal with this anymore.

Sorry do not do the windows system restore. I have attached a document that shows about what it would look like on windows xp. Good luck.

post-29006-1269211510_thumb.jpg

• its asking me to pick a date to restore from. I assume just spend the $40 and not have to deal with this anymore.

Here is another screen shot of what it will look like once you open the recovery program. See works ;) Click that and you should be good to go!

post-29006-1269211776_thumb.jpg

• Phrea
    edited March 2010
    its asking me to pick a date to restore from. I assume just spend the $40 and not have to deal with this anymore.

See my EDIT, do what bigchess is suggesting.

Restoring your machine should be considered as a last resort, just to get your machine up and running again.

Nobody should EVER reinstall without backing up their data, either via the BD Rescue CD or one of the MANY Linux Live CD solutions out there [mind you, BD Rescue CD is also a Linux solution, based on Knoppix if I'm not misstaken].

I also hope that both *users* and *BitDefender* learn from this.

Users should learn to backup important data, always.

Lesson 1 in computing: BACKUP YOUR DATA.

EDIT: Also, 'experts' will often just reinstall/restore your machine, without backing up any personal data.

You should backup your data yourself first, THEN bring it to an 'expert'.

Or tell them exactly where all your personal data is, and tell them they have to secure that data before they do anything else.

• @DannyDan

Yes -- running 2009 on the laptop. Did not notice that. Running 2010 on everything else in the office.

So I ran the 2010 patch on a 2009, which you say on the other forum is not recommended.

I have to travel tomorrow with the laptop. Don't want to be on the road without BD.

Suggestions?

Just uninstall 2009 and install 2010, is that the quickest solution at this point?

BTW, is there a 2009 forum on this topic? I don't find an open thread on this at teh 2009 forum.

• L.o.D.
    L.o.D. ✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Nobody should EVER reinstall without backing up their data, either via the BD Rescue CD or one of the MANY Linux Live CD solutions out there [mind you, BD Rescue CD is also a Linux solution, based on Knoppix if I'm not misstaken].

This is the crazy part.

The term "backup" must be foreign to some of the people here that are stating they lost "a years worth of college work or "I want the 4500$+ project I was working on, that I had to inform my client I could not finish/continue because of a irreversable file deletion that took place on my computer BY MY ANTI-VIRUS".

With THAT much at stake, WHY are they not making backups during the course of the term/project????

BTW, that is good advice though, Phrea! :)

• Ok.

Saved what I could and did a full reinstall because the comp freezes on windows login.

I kept waiting for a command line fix but BD stated it won't happen.

Many ways to get to your files.

-the easiest is to make a linux live cd which gives you a full desktop to work with and access to your disk.

-if you don't have another computer handy to burn CDs you can do it from the command prompt from the windows install CDs.(this is more technical and you need to know the commands).

This issue really uspsets me but it must be horrible for those who rely on their computers for income.(what about the Forex traders who can't stop their trades?)

• Sigh... still eagerly waiting for the 2008/2009 patch.

There is no way that it should be taking this long for simple change in versions. I'm feeling very neglected right now.

• Got to love all the crybaby's. Lets see, when you buy a laptop there is A. another drive that has the original software or B. the directions says to make backups first thing when you buy your laptop. As far as running out and buying windows 7 thats on you. Why you didn't have backups of your $4500+ project. ROOKIE mistake. glad you spent money posting flyers around town instead of dealing with your problem.

Everyone here expects to be paid money for this. Hate to say it but ITS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. I can see them giving a free year or more. Maybe refund a prorated portion of your service not used at the most. For all the posts saying I want 3200, or 4500. Now think about it. If I was bitdefender and say by chance 1000 people won lawsuits or some big class action lawsuit. I would just declare bankruptcy. I am sure every ###### out there will jump on. Back up BACKUP BACKUP. you figure people would learn by now. My computer went down. I just used windows 7cd to restore my last configuration from that morning. Got back in and restored my files from the quarantine folder. It restores everything except BD or windows system files. So the 1000 plus files was put back. Im not defending BD for what happened. They really messed up and I am sure the one is no longer working for them.

As far as everyone complaining about not getting reply's HOLLY COW GET A CLUE. Thousands of post, thousands of e-mails. I bet they called in everyone on deck saturday afternoon. I bet as soon as I finish this reply about 200 messages have been posted. Bet no company can keep up.

• I got rid of Bit Defender, installed AVG free. had to reinstall a few thing, Bit Defender will not get me back. I was about ready to renew, but not now.

• I got rid of Bit Defender, installed AVG free. had to reinstall a few thing, Bit Defender will not get me back. I was about ready to renew, but not now.

I'm with you. It's a shame.

• Was wondering is someone could help me, my pc wont boot anymore as i found this thread after i switched of my pc. Ive got win 7 ready to install but the upgrade option doesn't work as it says i need to load the cd when my pc has booted which is a problem as it doesn't get to the desktop just to the repair screen.

The other option looks like it will wipe my drive which i don't really want, most of my files are on an external hdd but there are some files and stuff i would like to keep on my main drive.

Any ideas on how to get me back to my desktop?

regards

• Was wondering is someone could help me, my pc wont boot anymore as i found this thread after i switched of my pc. Ive got win 7 ready to install but the upgrade option doesn't work as it says i need to load the cd when my pc has booted which is a problem as it doesn't get to the desktop just to the repair screen.

The other option looks like it will wipe my drive which i don't really want, most of my files are on an external hdd but there are some files and stuff i would like to keep on my main drive.

Any ideas on how to get me back to my desktop?

regards

Does it give the option for a clean install?

If so, try that.

It will move all existing files to a windows.old folder that you can access after loading the new windows.

• Yeah it does, just wasn't sure if that was the option i wanted. Thanks

• Yeah it does, just wasn't sure if that was the option i wanted. Thanks

Just don't format.

The way I mentioned will save your files.

You will still have to reinstall any other browsers etc though. But all personal data will still be there.

• well i have windows vista 64 and i can't even log into my account the automatic repair thing on my computer wont work and it shuts down

i'm on my cousin's computer so i can tell you this so please help!

:(

• noisymonk
    edited March 2010

Well this thread seems to be dying off - guessing most people have solved their problems or formated by now.

###### for the few of us that still have problems.

Still waiting for that 2008/2009 Patch.. any day now guys.

• so... unfortunately I turned my computer on on a weekend. The anti-virus went crazy, so i restarted the computer. After the restart, bit defender wouldn't turn on. i decided to "repair" it using the uninstall/repair thing. (i didn't find this thread til later)

now bitdefender works fine, but all those quarantined files have disappeared, including paint, notepad and various other things.

i tried a system restore, but it says the system has not restored properly when it finishes. I suspect a something related to the system restore got quarantined.

This leads me to the following question, did the quarantined files get deleted when i "repaired" bit defender. is there any way to get them back without having to reinstall windows. i guess i've got recovery discs which i made when i bought this laptop.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

John

• cbeiu
    edited March 2010
    well i have windows vista 64 and i can't even log into my account the automatic repair thing on my computer wont work and it shuts down

i'm on my cousin's computer so i can tell you this so please help!

:(

Describe what difficulties you encounter when you try to repair. (read this article and tell me the step where the repair fails and if there are any error messages)

Well this thread seems to be dying off - guessing most people have solved their problems or formated by now.

###### for the few of us that still have problems.

Still waiting for that 2008/2009 Patch.. any day now guys.

The patch for 2009 is now available (both stand alone and via Update). Check /index.php?/topic/18868-false-positive-on-x64-trojanfakealert5-bd-2009/#comment-81362" rel="">this post for more information.

• noisymonk
    edited March 2010
    The patch for 2009 is now available (both stand alone and via Update). Check /index.php?/topic/3822-bitdefender-and-counterspy/#comment-18868" rel="">this post for more information.

Unfortunately I'm still waiting for the 2008 patch.

PS. that link doesn't go to a relavent post, please fix your link. Perhase you meant this link?

• so... unfortunately I turned my computer on on a weekend. The anti-virus went crazy, so i restarted the computer. After the restart, bit defender wouldn't turn on. i decided to "repair" it using the uninstall/repair thing. (i didn't find this thread til later)

now bitdefender works fine, but all those quarantined files have disappeared, including paint, notepad and various other things.

i tried a system restore, but it says the system has not restored properly when it finishes. I suspect a something related to the system restore got quarantined.

This leads me to the following question, did the quarantined files get deleted when i "repaired" bit defender. is there any way to get them back without having to reinstall windows. i guess i've got recovery discs which i made when i bought this laptop.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

John

If there are no files left in Quarantine you can try to perform a Windows repair as described here in order to regain functionality. (the Quarantine folder can be found at C:\ProgramData\BitDefender\Desktop\Quarantine\)

Describe what difficulties you encounter when you try to repair. (read this article and tell me the step where the repair fails and if there are any error messages)

The patch for 2009 is now available (both stand alone and via Update). Check /index.php?/topic/18868-false-positive-on-x64-trojanfakealert5-bd-2009/#comment-81362" rel="">this post for more information.

Thank you for pointing that out. We do not have an estimation for the 2008 patch at this time.

• Please give us an estimate for the 2008 patch, now that it seems you solved the 2010 and 2009 put your attention on the 2008 patch.

An estimate will be gladly appreciate it.

I have my computer on since Yesterday just waiting for this patch.

It gives the impression the only two users that need it are Noisymonk and me.

Thanks,

• From Bitdefender's Twitter Account:

we will work with everyone to make sure they feel adequately compensated. email us at bitsy@bitdefender.com

Thought I would share what I sent to you here for others to see:

Dear BitDefender,

I spent 10 hours of my life yesterday restoring and saving what your company destroyed and had I been any less tech savvy it would have taken twice that long. But you know, I could have forgiven even that massive of a debacle had someone, anyone from your company shown even the least bit of concern about your customers. You can tweet all you like, where are the e-mails directly to your customers that:

1.) Address what happened directly. No platitudes, no "a patch is coming soon tweets" that are useless.

2.) That gives instructions on how to restore fried computers.

3.) That apologizes personally to your customers for such a grievous error.

4.) That offers any thing even remotely conciliatory or offers compensation.

Nothing, the crickets are still chirping, you expect average everyday users to rely on twitter and facebook. Places my 63 year old father knows NOTHING about and would never think to look for because he, like many end users are NOT computer savvy and would assume they contracted a virus and the mere thought of their own anti-virus software becoming malicious itself would never cross their minds. No, had I not gone downstairs the minute my computer went ballistic and I discovered the cause, had I not made sure he kept his computer OFF until this was sorted and the update was not added to HIS software, he'd have have lost his computer too, he would have sat there, looking at a black screen and assumed he was dead in the water. He would have later checked his e-mail at least on my mother's computer and would have been notified of the problem and could have taken steps to rectify it. (Thankfully my husband was not home or there would have been a 3rd victim in this household alone.)

So had I not been here, poof. Gone. And he'd STILL not know what to do and he'd be spending money on a new computer. Thanks goodness that I got too busy on Friday to switch all our office computers to BitDefender. Since our AVG was expiring and I was going to make the entire network switch over. That would have DESTROYED my business entirely. Thank goodness for small favors and a busy day that prevented me from making the transfer. I was going to go in Saturday to do it when your faulty update attacked my home system and I spent all day fixing the issue. I'm lucky, thousands of others are most certainly NOT.

THAT is what I have issue with, your total lack of caring for your users that trust you, that are not tech or web gurus and know how to surf the internet just enough to check e-mail and amazon.com. Those people, are all sitting in the dark, with computers turned paperweights thanks to you and the worst customer service I've seen since DELL.

My Husband and I are a business owners, 4th generation family owned. We've been in business 117 years. Why?

We understand the basic concept that our customers make or break us so we value them, ALL OF THEM. A concept you should perhaps adopt. Try thinking of the user who bought your program at Office Depot and knows little to nothing else. Like my Father and many, many more.

I want a full refund of the purchase price I *JUST* spent for BitDefender Internet Security 2010 so I can take my business elsewhere. I would have stayed had you not so eloquently proven that you do not care about me in the slightest and made zero effort at adequate damage control.

Dana Armstrong

Vice President/Owner

Armstrong Laboratory, Inc.

www.armstronglab.com

You can paypal me at this e-mail address the funds.

• Someone please help. I have Vista X64 desktop with BitDefender Internet Security 2010. I tried to follow the steps in the online article from the site, but I still have problems booting up Windows. The first problem is when I reboot my PC I do not even get to the "Windows Error Recovery" screen in step 1 of the article. Instead, I get the "Windows Boot Manager screen."

Then, on this screen all of the messages appear the same as in the picture of the article, except where it says File and Info. The File says: "\Boot\BCD" and the Info says "The Windows Boot Configuration Data file does not contain a valid OS entry." I went ahead and inserted the Windows Installation disc and restarted my computer.

I got through steps 3, 4, and 5 in the article but encountered another problem on step 6 where it says "Choose your Operating System and click Next." My Microsoft Windows Vista wasn't listed in the System Recovery Options, in fact it was blank. I had the options of "Load Drivers" or "Next". Since I didn't know where to find the drivers, I clicked Next.

While trying to get through step 7 in the article, I got the error message "Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automatically. Sending more information can help Microsoft create solutions." I could only choose to send the information or don't send.

The Diagnosis and repair details:

Number of repair attempts: 1

Session details

System Disk =\Device\Harddisk0

Windows directory =

AutoChk Run = 0

Number of root causes = 1

Test Performed:

Name: Check for updates

Result:Completed successfully. Error code = 0x0

Time taken = 0ms

Test Performed:

Name: System disk test

Result: Completed successfully. Error code = 0x0

Time taken = 15 ms

Test Performed:

Name: Disk failure diagnosis

Time taken = 375 ms

Test Performed:

Name: Disk metadata test

Result: Completed successfully. Error code 0x0

Time taken = 15 ms

Test Performed:

Name: Target OS test

Time Taken = 31 ms

Root cause found:

No OS file found on disk.

Repair action: Partition table repair

Result: Failed. Error code = 0x490

Time taken = 1326 ms

Then I can choose either Shut Down or Restart. I've tried to do the startup repair many times but still no luck booting up. Anyone has any ideas on what I should do? I tried contacting a BitDefender representative, and was told that I need to send them reports from several diagnostic tools from the site. However, I can't even boot up Windows, so I don't know how getting the results from those diagnoses will be possible...

• Hey, you know i BACKUP my files, but what about the HOURS I SPENT TRYING TO GET MY COMPUTER TO BOOT UP? Now I'm still having problems! The patch wont run and I'm getting bdutils.dll errors when i try to open BD.

Seriously, terrible. Give me my weekend back. ######, it's 2am and I'm still not back up 100%, because of an anti-virus software?!?

• Someone please help. I have Vista X64 desktop with BitDefender Internet Security 2010. I tried to follow the steps in the online article from the site, but I still have problems booting up Windows. The first problem is when I reboot my PC I do not even get to the "Windows Error Recovery" screen in step 1 of the article. Instead, I get the "Windows Boot Manager screen."

Then, on this screen all of the messages appear the same as in the picture of the article, except where it says File and Info. The File says: "\Boot\BCD" and the Info says "The Windows Boot Configuration Data file does not contain a valid OS entry." I went ahead and inserted the Windows Installation disc and restarted my computer.

I got through steps 3, 4, and 5 in the article but encountered another problem on step 6 where it says "Choose your Operating System and click Next." My Microsoft Windows Vista wasn't listed in the System Recovery Options, in fact it was blank. I had the options of "Load Drivers" or "Next". Since I didn't know where to find the drivers, I clicked Next.

While trying to get through step 7 in the article, I got the error message "Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automatically. Sending more information can help Microsoft create solutions." I could only choose to send the information or don't send.

The Diagnosis and repair details:

Number of repair attempts: 1

Session details

System Disk =\Device\Harddisk0

Windows directory =

AutoChk Run = 0

Number of root causes = 1

Test Performed:

Name: Check for updates

Result:Completed successfully. Error code = 0x0

Time taken = 0ms

Test Performed:

Name: System disk test

Time taken = 15 ms

Test Performed:

Name: Disk failure diagnosis

Time taken = 375 ms

Test Performed:

Name: Disk metadata test

Time taken = 15 ms

Test Performed:

Name: Target OS test

Time Taken = 31 ms

Root cause found:

No OS file found on disk.

Repair action: Partition table repair

Result: Failed. Error code = 0x490

Time taken = 1326 ms

Then I can choose either Shut Down or Restart. I've tried to do the startup repair many times but still no luck booting up. Anyone has any ideas on what I should do? I tried contacting a BitDefender representative, and was told that I need to send them reports from several diagnostic tools from the site. However, I can't even boot up Windows, so I don't know how getting the results from those diagnoses will be possible...

Seems that the issue is here: Result: Failed. Error code = 0x490. Tell me about your HDD configuration (how many devices do you have? do you use RAID?)

• Hey, you know i BACKUP my files, but what about the HOURS I SPENT TRYING TO GET MY COMPUTER TO BOOT UP? Now I'm still having problems! The patch wont run and I'm getting bdutils.dll errors when i try to open BD.

Seriously, terrible. Give me my weekend back. ######, it's 2am and I'm still not back up 100%, because of an anti-virus software?!?

Please provide more details: what BitDefender product are you using? What is your OS? What patch are you using and what exactly happens when you run it?

• Looking for a little help on this matter, i am sure the Bitdefender team will get to my email Ticket ID but if there is a short cut to my question poised below it would be appreciated. Apologies in advance for the length of the post.

I am on Windows 7 64 bit home OS. I have Bitdefender Internet Security 2010 virus signature 5474032, engine version 7.30848.

I received the fatal update at the time of sending but was able to stop most of the scan before too many items were quarantined. I turned off the automatic aspects of Bitdefender as directed and have not shut down my machine since then. I have access to Bitdefender and have updated it and run a scan that no longer detects the ‘Trojan.FakeAlert.5’ or any other problems.

I have manually restored as many items from the quarantine tab of Bitdefender as possible but have been left with many (hundreds) of Bitdefender and Windows system files and a few executable program files (unimportant ones so I care not). The remainder I cannot restore manually as the system asks for a path after telling me the items already exist and I have instructed the system to overwrite the existing file. I tried the patch you have issued for Windows 7 but get the below message when trying to install it from the saved location on my hard drive (desktop);

‘The installation/remove of a previous program was not completed. You will need to restart your computer to complete that installation.

After restarting your computer, run Setup again to complete the installation of Bitdefender Patch.

Setup cannot continue please click Cancel to exit.’

I read that I must reboot to install this patch but that leads to my question, which is this;

Am I now in the best position possible to reboot my machine? The reason I ask is that I my system no longer ‘sees’ my CD drive (drive D:). My concern is that, if I shutdown, can I reboot if critical system files are still in the quarantined area of Bitdefender? With no CD drive I will be unable to access the machine with a reboot disk and so will be left looking for a competent tech support guy to assist me, something that in Dubai is a lot harder to find than you might think!

From online reading of others’ reports i understand that i may end up with items in the quarantine area once the patch has successfully been installed and that these are just left over items that are not required. Have i understood that correctly, i.e. even though all should now be OK I may still have items in the quarantine area that are simply not required?

Apologies for the long question and double checking of things but i am far from an able IT person and so need to be guided through this and have reassurance that what i am going to do is correct.

Your guidance in this matter will be gratefully received.

• Looking for a little help on this matter, i am sure the Bitdefender team will get to my email Ticket ID but if there is a short cut to my question poised below it would be appreciated. Apologies in advance for the length of the post.

I am on Windows 7 64 bit home OS. I have Bitdefender Internet Security 2010 virus signature 5474032, engine version 7.30848.

I received the fatal update at the time of sending but was able to stop most of the scan before too many items were quarantined. I turned off the automatic aspects of Bitdefender as directed and have not shut down my machine since then. I have access to Bitdefender and have updated it and run a scan that no longer detects the ‘Trojan.FakeAlert.5’ or any other problems.

I have manually restored as many items from the quarantine tab of Bitdefender as possible but have been left with many (hundreds) of Bitdefender and Windows system files and a few executable program files (unimportant ones so I care not). The remainder I cannot restore manually as the system asks for a path after telling me the items already exist and I have instructed the system to overwrite the existing file. I tried the patch you have issued for Windows 7 but get the below message when trying to install it from the saved location on my hard drive (desktop);

‘The installation/remove of a previous program was not completed. You will need to restart your computer to complete that installation.

After restarting your computer, run Setup again to complete the installation of Bitdefender Patch.

Setup cannot continue please click Cancel to exit.’

I read that I must reboot to install this patch but that leads to my question, which is this;

Am I now in the best position possible to reboot my machine? The reason I ask is that I my system no longer ‘sees’ my CD drive (drive D:). My concern is that, if I shutdown, can I reboot if critical system files are still in the quarantined area of Bitdefender? With no CD drive I will be unable to access the machine with a reboot disk and so will be left looking for a competent tech support guy to assist me, something that in Dubai is a lot harder to find than you might think!

From online reading of others’ reports i understand that i may end up with items in the quarantine area once the patch has successfully been installed and that these are just left over items that are not required. Have i understood that correctly, i.e. even though all should now be OK I may still have items in the quarantine area that are simply not required?

Apologies for the long question and double checking of things but i am far from an able IT person and so need to be guided through this and have reassurance that what i am going to do is correct.

Your guidance in this matter will be gratefully received.

If the files left in Quarantine cannot be restored because they are already present on the disc you can probably safely reboot now. After reboot everything should function normally (if not use the patch)

• I am using vista x64 professional, and BD game safe. My computer reboots and runs fine for the most part, except I am still getting some dll errors, and there are still files in quarantine.

I downloaded and tried to run the patch located here http://www.bitdefender.com/site/KnowledgeBase/consumer/#638

when I run the .exe file it gets about 25% of the way through then I get multiple errors

C:\Program Files\Common Files\BitDefender Update Service\bdsubwiz.exe

An error occurred while trying to creat a file in the destination directory:

Access is denied

Click Retry to try again, Ignore to skip this file (not recommended), or Abort to cancel instalation

retry just gives same error, if I ignore it just gives me more of the same errors but with different files:

same directory

livesrv.exe

npcomm.dll

productinfo.dll

upgrepl.exe

v_live_s.xml

wsdns.dll

wslib.dll

wspack.dll

wsutils.dll

then it finishes

Bit defender will not update, it just sits at the update screen doing nothing

and I am on administrator, and have even right clicked and "Run as administrator"

I have re-downloaded the patch and tried it again.

The customer support through e-mail obviously never read my ticket and sent me to the completely wrong links, told me to do what I had already said I did in my original ticket, sent me to a dead page and now hasn't answered back in over 8 hours.

I would really like to not do a system restore if possible, since I have installed a few things since the last restore point.

• I am using vista x64 professional, and BD game safe. My computer reboots and runs fine for the most part, except I am still getting some dll errors, and there are still files in quarantine.

I downloaded and tried to run the patch located here http://www.bitdefender.com/site/KnowledgeBase/consumer/#638

when I run the .exe file it gets about 25% of the way through then I get multiple errors

C:\Program Files\Common Files\BitDefender Update Service\bdsubwiz.exe

An error occurred while trying to creat a file in the destination directory:

Access is denied

Click Retry to try again, Ignore to skip this file (not recommended), or Abort to cancel instalation

retry just gives same error, if I ignore it just gives me more of the same errors but with different files:

same directory

livesrv.exe

npcomm.dll

productinfo.dll

upgrepl.exe

v_live_s.xml

wsdns.dll

wslib.dll

wspack.dll

wsutils.dll

then it finishes

Bit defender will not update, it just sits at the update screen doing nothing

and I am on administrator, and have even right clicked and "Run as administrator"

I have re-downloaded the patch and tried it again.

The customer support through e-mail obviously never read my ticket and sent me to the completely wrong links, told me to do what I had already said I did in my original ticket, sent me to a dead page and now hasn't answered back in over 8 hours.

I would really like to not do a system restore if possible, since I have installed a few things since the last restore point.

There is no patch for BitDefender GameSafe at the moment.

• There is no patch for BitDefender GameSafe at the moment.

thank you, whoever is doing your support through email needs to get with the program then, they pointed me to that page and then to a dead link on microsofts webpage, and earlier when I posted on here the person told me that game safe uses the same database and everything as BD 2010, linked me to here then closed the thread, instead of just telling me that there isn't a patch out yet.

Any eta available?

• thank you, whoever is doing your support through email needs to get with the program then, they pointed me to that page and then to a dead link on microsofts webpage, and earlier when I posted on here the person told me that game safe uses the same database and everything as BD 2010, linked me to here then closed the thread, instead of just telling me that there isn't a patch out yet.

Any eta available?

Unfortunately no ETA for now but we are working on it.

• simonsr
    edited March 2010

Corneliu,

Many thanks for the response. I will try to reboot then, not a concern regards the lack of functioning CD drive you think?

Simon.

• IE install or download function didn't work because of the quarantined files so I installed google chrome from another computer then downloaded BD2010 again from the affected pc uninstalled then reinstall BD. Now BD is working and I still have the quarantined file on my usb key but I don't know how to restore them !!! It's been now 24 hours that I posted here and also per e-mail but the BD tech are randomly answering the easiest e-mail THEY WANT. AND not mine naturally.......

SO PLEASE BD TEAM !!!! ANSWER ALL THE CASES AND NOT ONLY THE PLEASANT ONES!!!!

I WILL NEVER RENEW MY BD LICENSE, WORST SUPPORT I EVER HAD !!!!!

• Hello all,

The patch from the KB article was updated (aprox 10 hours ago). For those who are trying to runt he patch please download it again. Fore more information please read this Announcement.

@chrisjargan: We are very sorry for this. Unfortunately the patch for the 2008 version was not released yet. We will launch it in the shortest time possible. The patch will be available in the same KB article

@simonsr: After the reboot please try again to run the patch from this article in order to restore any files you might still have in quarantine.

• Thank for your help.......... still haven't got any clues, will someone help me please ??????

• Hey tech guys from Bitdefender anyone online ????? My PC is still stucked

• Unknown
    edited March 2010

@quangdang: We are very sorry for the late response. Please try the following:

- copy the Quarantine folder from your USB device on this location:

• C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\BitDefender\Desktop folder for Windows XP
    • or to the C:\Users\All Users\BitDefender\Desktop folder for Windows Vista
    • or to the C:\ProgramData\BitDefender\Desktop for Windows 7
    -restart your computer

- open BitDefender and try to restore the files from the Quarantine list

Please note that you might receive an error message from some of them which were already restored by Windows

• "We understand your disappointment , we have solved the problem for many of our users already and we are continuing to work relentlessly to rectify the problem for all users still affected.

Yesterday around 8:20am PST, an update that we were working on was uploaded prematurely in our servers. This update affected only products running on Windows 64-bit systems. The update affected some of our home user product line as well as BitDefender Business Client and BitDefender Security for File Servers. Certain BitDefender and Windows files have been detected as Trojan.FakeAlert.5 and have been moved to quarantine. Only exe ,dll and other binary files have been quarantined (no pictures or documents). Consequently, for some systems, BitDefender did not run anymore, applications did not work or Windows could not start. By 11am PST, our team had reversed the faulty update so no additional users would be affected. Of those affected, we believe that only a fraction were not able to apply the new update, and from those many have already been assisted. We continue to support those of our users who currently require further assistance. Our teams are working around the clock to minimize the impact, including one-on-one support to fix the issue as quickly as possible.

We have been providing information to our users via support articles that are updated regularly as we implement solutions for the various customer configurations that are brought to our attention."

NO YOU CAN'T SAY THAT YOU UNDERSTAND AS A PRIVATE USER YOU JUST LEFT THE BUSINESS!!!! ONLY SUPPORT FOR PROFRSSIONNALS AND FOR THE REST JUST LIGHT A CANDLE AND PRAY FOR A SO CALLED QUICK ANSWER. I ASKED FOR PRECISE ANSWER AND NOTHING DONE SINCE SATURDAY AFTERNOON.

• @quangdang: We sincerely apologize for the late response. Unfortunately, due to the very high number of requests we did not manage to respond in the same time to all them. Please be so kind as to try the steps from my previous post and let me know if this solution worked for you.

• Please see the bitdefender folder below I can't find any desktop file. I also showed up the hiddden files but still can't find the desktop folder. By the way I found the quarantined files on saturday with a windows search but was unable to identify the path...... really strange as I would record them to put them in again after re-install of BD.

post-32752-1269258313_thumb.jpg

• Unknown
    edited March 2010

@quangdang: I edited my previous post. The location for Vista is:

C:\Users\All Users\BitDefender\Desktop

• quangdang@bluewin.ch
    edited March 2010
    @quangdang: I edited my previous post. The location for Vista is:

C:\Users\All Users\BitDefender\Desktop

Dear Carmen,

I am using Windows 7, and you stated this "C:\ProgramData\BitDefender\Desktop for Windows 7". Anyway, now I found the right place and replaced the vaulted files in, I can't restaure them as they are already replaced. The problem is some programs aren't working but the "auto-restaure system" don't let my do the same for all files, should I manually restaure all the files one by one till I get the unrestaured files ??? It's more than 800 entries........

post-32752-1269259989_thumb.jpg

• @quangdang:

You could try one of the following sollutions:

1. Go to the BitDefender Quarantine -> press CTRL+A in order to select all of the files -> when you receive the message that the file already exists skip it and go to the next one.

2. You could try to run the patch from the KB article in order to restore all the files from Quarantine. It will return an error message because it will not be able to restore all of them but the patch should restore the ones that do not exist on your computer anymore.

• THEPAPA
    edited March 2010

Carmen,

I am using BD Internet Security 2008

I received some instructions like

If you are using the 2009 or 2008 version please follow the steps below:

1. Open BitDefender go to Settings or Advanced mode and temporarily disable the Realtime Protection ;

2. Press the Windows key+ R to open the "run" menu, type "Regedit" and then delete the following key :

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SessionManager\PendingFileRenameOperations

3. Restore all quarantined files from the Quarantine menu in BitDefender

4. Reboot the PC and run an update.

But I am not able to restore the quarantined files because I get this message

"The system cannot find the specified path or there is not sufficient rights to write destination location."

Would you please help me!!!.

Now it is 2 days with my computer not available, and I have to work.

Thanks,

• @quangdang:

You could try one of the following sollutions:

1. Go to the BitDefender Quarantine -> press CTRL+A in order to select all of the files -> when you receive the message that the file already exists skip it and go to the next one.

2. You could try to run the patch from the KB article in order to restore all the files from Quarantine. It will return an error message because it will not be able to restore all of them but the patch should restore the ones that do not exist on your computer anymore.

I installed the patch and no error showed up. But the files are still in quarantine.....I don't know f I can shoot them all now.

Should I let them in ??