[Duplicate] Fakealert.5 Did I Do The Right Thing?

Something is not right here. I would like for BitDefender to explain to me why I was not able to boot PC's on my network until I unplugged my DSL line. Were BitDefender servers stopping my PC's from booting properly via my internet connection?

Yesterday morning I woke up and turned on 2 PC's in my home network and they both said that Windows can't start please re-install windows. (WIN7 64BIT) WINVISTA 64BIT) I did not want to do this so I decided to unplug my DSL. After doing so I was able to boot up both PC's. I then ran into all of the issues that folks here are describing with BitDefender quarantining around 8300 files before I stopped it. I then decided to re-install BitDefender so I connected my DSL back up and did the re-install. This was around 4PM EST. Once I did this and all was back to normal. I never had to mess around with quarantined files and all of the applications on my PC's work.

Was this the incorrect thing to do" Will my PC become un-stable sometime in the future because I did not mess with quarantined files?

And more importantly again why would my internet connection stop my PC from booting up?

Comments

• Something is not right here. I would like for BitDefender to explain to me why I was not able to boot PC's on my network until I unplugged my DSL line. Were BitDefender servers stopping my PC's from booting properly via my internet connection?

Yesterday morning I woke up and turned on 2 PC's in my home network and they both said that Windows can't start please re-install windows. (WIN7 64BIT) WINVISTA 64BIT) I did not want to do this so I decided to unplug my DSL. After doing so I was able to boot up both PC's. I then ran into all of the issues that folks here are describing with BitDefender quarantining around 8300 files before I stopped it. I then decided to re-install BitDefender so I connected my DSL back up and did the re-install. This was around 4PM EST. Once I did this and all was back to normal. I never had to mess around with quarantined files and all of the applications on my PC's work.

Was this the incorrect thing to do" Will my PC become un-stable sometime in the future because I did not mess with quarantined files?

And more importantly again why would my internet connection stop my PC from booting up?

Guess they are all still sleeping. Anybody from BD care to comment when you have time? Thanks

• Guess they are all still sleeping. Anybody from BD care to comment when you have time? Thanks

I don't think that the DSL line had anything to do with the fact that the PC did not boot. The BitDefender servers cannot stop the PC from booting.

"Will my PC become un-stable sometime in the future because I did not mess with quarantined files?"

If the files are still in Quarantine they will be restored at the next update automatically or have already been restored.

• I don't think that the DSL line had anything to do with the fact that the PC did not boot. The BitDefender servers cannot stop the PC from booting.

"Will my PC become un-stable sometime in the future because I did not mess with quarantined files?"

If the files are still in Quarantine they will be restored at the next update automatically or have already been restored.

Thank you for responding...You are right it should not have anything to do with it but BitDefender is one of the 1st things to run when booting a PC. It does have some degree of security control on all of my PC's... correct?

So when it boot_s up does it look for updates prior to going to desktop? We all got the fakealert.5 from your servers somehow.

I still find it very odd that the only way I could boot up my PC's was to disconnect my DSL and then once my systems were booted to desktop I started getting virus fakealert.5 warnings.

• One thing I did that I would recommend to everyone is login as administrator and open your command prompt by typing " cmd " in the start menu search box or by pressing the run button and type in " sfc /scannow " and hit enter. This is a windows program that will scan all windows files to make sure they are all there and are intact, you may need to insert your windows disk if it needs to replace bad files.

• One thing I did that I would recommend to everyone is login as administrator and open your command prompt by typing " cmd " in the start menu search box or by pressing the run button and type in " sfc /scannow " and hit enter. This is a windows program that will scan all windows files to make sure they are all there and are intact, you may need to insert your windows disk if it needs to replace bad files.

Great to know...thanks Mark...running it now.

• Unknown
    edited March 2010

Hello all,

Since we released the patch for 2008, 2009 and 2010 versions and the Rescue CD for restoring the quarantined files please follow the steps from this announcement if you need any information regarding this issue.

You can also read here the message from BitDefender CEO regarding FakeAlert situation.

This topic will be closed. For any other question please post here.

Thank you for your understanding.

This discussion has been closed.