Update Disabled Bit Defender 2010

Been using BD sine 2008, so far it has performed well although does seem to take a bit of CPU when you most need it but that is not the major issue.

I noticed last week that the Automatic Update was disabled, in fact in Expert mode the entire tab is disabled (see attachment). When I ask to enable, it says fine then you go back into the screen and it marked disabled again.

Thought that it might be some malware, after a through clean and removal of the Ask Toolbar mess with Malwarebytes, I did a full Deep System Scan with no viruses detected (9 hours of scanning). My last update was just under 2 weeks ago now. Also checked my registration, 209 days left.

Any suggestions. I try and log a call with support but that seems to go no where as well after clicking on the "Contact Support" link in the suggested help documents. Something weird is going on. And it is obviously very clever. Any ideas?

Cheers

Stuart

post-33167-1270463998_thumb.jpg

Comments

• Sorry forgot to add that I have tried a repair and re-install and they come up with the same issue.

• Hello oracleviruslives,

One of the causes due to which this issue occurs is the fact that the v_live_s.xml file from BitDefender becomes corrupted. The file is part of the BitDefender Update module and holds the information regarding the settings of the module. At this moment we do not know exactly how and why the file became corrupted. In order to solve the encountered issue, please follow the steps from below:

1. First of all, please restart the computer in Safe Mode.

[How to restart in Safe Mode]

- Restart the computer (Windows Start button - Turn Off - Restart);

- Press the F8 key several times before Microsoft Windows begins to load; you need to press F8 until you will be displayed a text menu;

- Select SAFE MODE in the text menu and press Enter.

- Wait while Windows loads in Safe Mode; this process ends with a confirmation message; click OK to acknowledge.

2. Browse to the C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2010\Ini\Default folder and find the v_live_s.xml file. Right click on it and select the Copy option.

3. Browse to the C:\Program Files\Common Files\BitDefender\BitDefender Update Service folder and delete the v_live_s.xml which is in this folder.

4. Select Edit and Paste in order to copy the correct one from the Ini\Default folder, replacing the existing one.

Also, while in Safe Mode, please follow the steps from below in order to check if the issue occurs due to 2 registry keys which were left behind from a previous version of BitDefender.

1. Start and select Run (for Vista you have the search box);

2. In the box type: Regedit and press OK;

3. It will open a new window named Registry Editor;

4. Expand the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE in the left part and the following folders and subfolders: SYSTEM, CurrentControlSet, Services and LIVESRV;

5. Take a look at the right side of the screen and delete the following entries:

- DependOnService

- DependOnGroup

Please restart your computer in Normal mode, right click on the BitDefender icon from the system tray and choose Update now. If the Update is not working please let us know.

Thank you.

• Hi Mihaela,

I have completed the steps as described with no change in the update status. The first change of the .xml file I had tried previously from posts I had seen that looked similar. Before I replaced the file I checked and they were the same. On the second recommendation, those registry keys didn't exist so I couldn't delete them.

Could a solution be to completely uninstall BD 2010 and start again?

Something of a side issue, prior to this I had been having an issue by which my Windows Security Centre was saying that the Virus Scanner may be out of date. However Updates were still occuring and the tab was still enabled. Without a resolution soon as I am feeling less comfortable as the days go by that the updates aren't happening.

Cheers

Stuart

• Phrea
    edited April 2010

I had THE EXACT same problem, installing BD TS on my mothers computer.

I had to do the steps Mihaela Masaru suggested.

That's not something any normal person can do who just uses a computer because they need it and want to feel safe.

Thankfully, for me it worked and my mom is once again safe.

• Hello oraclevirusliveson,

Because the previous steps that we provided you does not work we recommend you to repair your BitDefender. In order to repair it please follow the above steps:

- Click on the START menu button

- Go to All Programs -> BitDefender 2010 -> Repair or Remove

- Follow the on-screen instructions and restart the computer each time you are requested to.

Please test to see if the issue still replicates after the repairing process. If it does, in order to further troubleshoot this issue you are encountering we would like you to follow the steps below:

1. Click on Start and then choose My Computer/Computer.

2. Browse to:

C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2010

- considering that BitDefender was installed on the default C partition.

3. Double click on the supporttool.exe file - if you are using Vista or Windows 7, right click on the supporttool application file and select Run as Administrator.

4. Click on Next, wait a few minutes for the progress bar to complete and then click on Finish.

5. Please upload on Sendspace the file that was created on the Desktop by the SupportTool and send me a PM with the download link.

Thank you.

• Mihaela,

I done a repair and prepared the support tool. The file is upload and a PM sent as requested.

Cheers

Stuart

• Mihaela M.
    edited April 2010

Hello oraclevirusliveson,

Thank you for providing us with the diagnostic supports. We analyzed the files and we have sent you an e-mail with all the steps that you need in order to solve the encountered issue. Please follow them and let us know if you have any other question.

Thank you.

• Mihaela,

Haven't received the email as yet, but also did a complete uninstall and registry clean then re-install and things started working again. Thanks again for your help.

Cheers

Stuart

• Hello oraclevirusliveson,

We are glad to hear that the issue you contacted us has been solved and for further assistance please don't hesitate to contact us.

Thank you.