Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Rootkit Hidden Items Scan Issue

Options

The number of Rootkits found in the new task created for "Rootkit Scan" only is different than rootkits found by running Deep System Scan. It seems that the former scans only System Drive while the latter scans whole harddisk.

Actually my harddisk has two partitions and I hide some docs in both partitions , when I created a new task for Rootkits scan only, it found rootkits in C drive only even on selecting all paths (i.e. Local Drives-C and D) but when I run Deep System Scan, it found rootkits on both partitions.

Why is this so?

Kindly note that these rootkits are the files which I hide by a software and are not malicious.

Comments

• Hello ONT,

Please open BitDefender in Expert mode -> go to Antivirus module -> Virus scan tab -> right click on the Rootkit Scan -> select Properties -> go to the Paths tab -> check the option Local Drives from the right part instead of checking the drives from the left column -> run again the Rootkit Scan and let us know what happens.

Thank you.

• coolcool1227
    Options

The issue I forwarded to you was related to Ver 13.0.19 but when I updated to Ver 13.0.20, the issue resolved. Below is the detail of issue

“The number of Rootkits found in the new task created for "Rootkit Scan" only is different than rootkits found by running Deep System Scan. It seems that the former scans only System Drive while the latter scans whole harddisk.

Actually my harddisk has two partitions and I hide some docs in both partitions , when I created a new task for Rootkits scan only, it found rootkits in C drive only even on selecting all paths (i.e. Local Drives-C and D) but when I run Deep System Scan, it found rootkits on both partitions.”

Now in the Ver 13.0.20 creating task either for Rootkit Scan (selecting Local Drives option) only or Deep System Scan has the same number of Rootkits. In other words both find same Rootkits on whole harddisk regardless of number of partitions.

But I also find that the “Path Selection” for creating “Rootkit Scan” only is not effective as you can also see in the log file also that

there is nothing mention in the path selection. e.g if I select C: Drive path only and other partitions are unchecked, the task for

Rootkit Scan should run only on C: Drive but that is not the case and the Rootkit Scan run for the whole harddisk. Why is this so?

You are requested to reply in detail.

• Emile
    Options

Hello,

Is this feature aslo availabel in TS 2010? see attched screenshot my Vista system. I do not find this feature.

Thanks in advance

post-4774-1271224607_thumb.jpg

• coolcool1227
    Options

Hello Emile

This feature is not present by-default. You've to created the "New Task" for this. Follow the below steps.

1) Click on "New Task" tab

2) Write "Rootkit Scan" under Task Name.

3) Click on "Custom"

4) Uncheck all options in "Virus Scanning Options"

5) Check only "Scan for Rootkits" and "Scan for Viruses"(it can't be unchecked) and rest assure unchecked in the "Scan Level"

6) And select Actions of your own choice under "Action Options"

And don't forget to press "OK" after doing above procedure.

Also check the attachments to avoid confusion.

• coolcool1227
    Options

Sorry I forgot the attachements.

Here are these.

Hope this will help you

post-31288-1271233380_thumb.jpg

post-31288-1271233400_thumb.jpg

• Emile
    Options

Hello and Thanks a lot ONT.

No rootkits on my system !!