Bd Ts 2010 Privacy Control Problems

I have installed BD TS 2010 since early January. Since the last 2 weeks, the Privacy Control module seems unstable. The entries in the Registry, cookie and ****** appear and disappear every time I reboot or start my computer. I shut down my computer every night and every once in a while when I start up in the morning, all entries are visible and other times all entries are gone.

I also noticed that in the "setting" the File Encryption has a red "!" and cannot be enabled. When I check the Encryption module all seems fine and enabled.

I am running Windows XP home SP 3 and all updates current. I have opened a ticket with BD support on this 13 days ago and a second reply to them 5 days ago and still have not received a response.

Can anyone out there please help? I have disabled the cookie and ****** because these keep giving me alerts every time I visit the same internet sites - very annoying. Thank you so much.

rpauff

Comments

• This issue has been resolved by the BitDefender tech. Thank you.

• Resolved?! My bitdefender 2010 is updated daily and I still have the same problem!!!

In fact my ****** list "disapears" after a reboot. Only this list, not the registry one (cookie control not enabled).

So rpauff if you know how to solve the problem let me know. Thanks in advance!

Cheers

• Same here, just updated, rebooted and the cookie list as well as the ****** list are empty again. The files Cookie.xml and ******.xml are present in the Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\BitDefender\Desktop\Profiles directory but are apparently not read.

@rpauff: Please tell me what you had to do to resolve this problem, it is getting annoying!

Thanks,

Richard

• Guys I've had this problem for MONTHS and never had a solution.

Like you I find that on an alarming frequency I boot to find all my privacy rules are gone - cookies, scripts, etc.

I end up having to boot into safe mode, re-copy the ******.xml and cookie.xml files (which I keep a permanent up to date copy of on my desktop - that's how bad it is) so that I can paste it back into the AppData folder (vista). Reboot and roughly 6 times out of 10 it will work. If not I have to repeat the process. It happens so randomly I can't pin down a cause but the fact I raised this on here months ago and this new thread has sprung up shows me they've still not resolved it.

Last time they wanted me to give them full hijackthis logs. Not going to do that as I value the integrity and privacy of my computer. If others wish to send them the logs please feel free but as a number of others have the problem, surely there's a common fault here?

Why won't the OP respond either, grrrrr!

• Hi guys,

I guess I responded with a message saying that this Cookie and ****** issue was resolved too quickly!!

The BD tech support sent me an email with instructions to perform which I did and when I rebooted, lo and behold all was now working with all the cookie and ****** entries showing. So for a whole day I thought all was resolved. Until, the next day after an overnight shutdown. That's when this issue reared it's head and was back.

I then responded to BD tech support and they now have told me that the problem will be solved via an update when his colleagues from the testing department will find a fix.

(The original response from BD tech support was to open BD, click on settings, switch the UI to expert mode which I use anyway, click OK, select antivirus, click on custom level, expand scan files and P2P traffic, expand scan accessed files, click the option to scan applications, click OK and reboot).

So again, I am at the mercy of BD tech support for a fix. I wish however that someone from BD would tell us that they have found a fix and that it will be in such and such an update...

rpauff

• Unknown
    edited March 2010

Hello all,

This issue has indeed been acknowledged by our testing team and we are working on a fix. The fix will be done by means of automatic update and won't require any additional action from your part. As soon as a fix will be available, we will inform our users adding a new post to this topic.

We are very sorry for any inconvenience that we may have created and we rest at your disposal for further information.

Thank you for your support and patience.

• Ok thank you feel good to be heard!

• Great news

• Just to note that I have this issue too and it's not an isolated couple of cases.

Regards,

Mav

• So when can we expect a fix for this? I had to reboot 4 times today as none of my rules were present.

• I have been having the same problem with my two computers at home. Does anyone know if this has been resolved.

• Had another email from support a couple days ago. Still being looked at, no ETA.

• Hello all,

Unfortunately, we did not released a fix for this issue yet. We will post a message on this topic as soon as possible, when the fix will be available.

Thank you for your understanding and for your patience.

• Any resolution to this issue? This is very frustrating as every time my computer is restarted I lose my cookie and ****** rules. Last night I figured there was something wrong with my installation so I did a repair on it. Thought problem was fixed. Spent three hours setting up cookies and ****** rules for sixty or seventy sites I commonly visit, taking time to deny access to all the annoying ad and crap servers. Everything was sweet, pages loading faster, no hanging due to ad servers etc. This morning I come in and the BD tray Icon is grayed out and says I must restart. Presto! All my rules are gone. This is a royal PITA. How difficult can it be to figure out why the cookie and ****** xml files aren't being preserved?? It's been one thing after another. Things go along smoothly for a month or so and then all of the sudden vsserv.exe hogs 50 to 90 % of the cpus for 3 to 6 minutes and I don't even have an IE window or outlook window open. That stuff happens for a week or two and then presto it disappears. No idea why it started and no idea why it stopped!

• I've had this problem for months and it is extremely annoying and potentially dangerous. Bitdefender Support have failed to provide a solution. As a temporary fix what I do is set a "System Restore" point every night before I shut down my computer. When I start up next day, sure enough, all the Cookie and ****** rules are missing, but if I do a System Restore to the last Restore Point they reappear.

A real pain but nothing else works until Bitdefender come up with a permanent solution.

• Another thing for BD Support to think of with this is that a number of times while my privacy rules are working and still there, sometimes the privacy module will turn itself off - i notice only when i go on sites i don't normally go on and it doesn't present me with any rule requests. Venturing into the GUI shows privacy control has turned itself off and my rules have all vanished again.

Bullschit

• Bitdefender support, what is the latest on this?

It's been ages since a reply was posted and it appears to be going the same way as the last time I raised this......no result.

• Bitdefender support, what is the latest on this?

It's been ages since a reply was posted and it appears to be going the same way as the last time I raised this......no result.

Hello ,

I encountered same problem.

I tried a solution,

If I add ******.xml files ( documents and settings, username, application data...bitdefender....bla bla....) to exclusion list at the Antivirus section, problem dissapered.

Still

I am continiue to try . Till now I did't face problem.

• Hello ,

I encountered same problem.

I tried a solution,

If I add ******.xml files ( documents and settings, username, application data...bitdefender....bla bla....) to exclusion list at the Antivirus section, problem dissapered.

Still

I am continiue to try . Till now I did't face problem.

I'll give that a shot, Victor - it's more than Bitdefender Support have come up with in MONTHS...!

• I'll give that a shot, Victor - it's more than Bitdefender Support have come up with in MONTHS...!

No luck for me unfortunately.

Why are Bitdefender not commenting on this anymore, have they ditched it and decided to ignore it??

• Unknown
    edited May 2010

Hello everyone,

First and foremost please note that we are working towards a resolution regarding the issue you are facing as we speak. The resolution will come as an automatic update that requires no further action on your behalf.

As a workaround, you can manually modify the following XML files and the issue will be resolved. Note that using the GUI option to add a registry / cookie / ****** entry ( i.e. using the + to add a new entry ) may cause the list to disappear.

IMPORTANT: the XML files can only be modified in Windows Safe Mode.

The files you need are as following:

- ******.xml

- Cookie.xml

- privacy.xml

Please note that:

- the 0 value in the XML files is for DISABLED modules/features

- the 1 value in the XML files is for ENABLED modules

The above mentioned files can be found at:

C:\Documents and Settings\Current Windows User\Application Data\BitDefender\Desktop\Profiles

You can open the XML files using this free Microsoft editor software: XML Notepad 2007

5. Install the software - a regular installation requires no changes but to click on the Next button until the process is complete.

6. Locate the above file and open it using the XML Notepad 2007 software

[How to start the computer in Safe Mode]

If Windows is the only operating system installed on your computer, booting into Safe Mode with these instructions:

* If the computer is running, shut down Windows, and then turn off the power

* Wait 30 seconds, and then turn the computer on.

* Start tapping the F8 key. The Windows Advanced Options Menu appears. If you begin tapping the F8 key too soon, some computers display a "keyboard error" message. To resolve this, restart the computer and try again.

* Ensure that the Safe mode option is selected.

* Press Enter. The computer then begins to start in Safe mode.

* When you are finished with all troubleshooting, close all programs and restart the computer as you normally would.

While in Safe Mode replace the 3 XML you saved on your Desktop to: C:\Documents and Settings\Current Windows User\Application Data\BitDefender\Desktop\Profiles

*** Curent Window User is the Windows username you normally use to login.

Best regards,