Bit Defender Fills Up Hard Drive

Hello,

I found the following thread on Google:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?sho...=10050&st=0

I searched in this forum using the search function but could find no other mention of this problem. I wished to update that thread but was not allowed to.

I signed up to this forum specifically to report that I encountered this exact problem this week (I am an IT professional).

A customer called in to report that they were getting an error that their C drive was full. They had deleted and uninstalled several things but the drive would re-fill within minutes.

The kicker: this is a newish PC running only Windows XP Pro, Microsoft Office 2003, a business software application that is run from the network, and the antivirus program, and has a 450 GB hard drive!!!

When I went to check out the problem I was surprised to figure out the cause: Bit Defender has been downloading new virus updates and sig files, but never deleting the old ones!

This client switched from BD to a competitor within the past year and thought that BD had been uninstalled (it was not listed in the Control Panel nor in the System Tray). However, C:\Program Files\Bit Defender 2008 still existed as did C:\Program Files\Common Files\Bit Defender. Both folders together contained approximately 300 GB (I'm not kidding) of definition files for Spam and Threat.

In this case, since the client had already another antivirus product, I had to manually remove all traces of BD from their computer and the problem was fixed. (It takes a long time to remove that much data, though!)

Just a heads up that this problem is occurring in case anyone else runs across it. Hopefully BitDefender has fixed this issue in newer versions of the product.

Comments

• Hello,

I found the following thread on Google:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?sho...=10050&st=0

I searched in this forum using the search function but could find no other mention of this problem. I wished to update that thread but was not allowed to.

I signed up to this forum specifically to report that I encountered this exact problem this week (I am an IT professional).

A customer called in to report that they were getting an error that their C drive was full. They had deleted and uninstalled several things but the drive would re-fill within minutes.

The kicker: this is a newish PC running only Windows XP Pro, Microsoft Office 2003, a business software application that is run from the network, and the antivirus program, and has a 450 GB hard drive!!!

When I went to check out the problem I was surprised to figure out the cause: Bit Defender has been downloading new virus updates and sig files, but never deleting the old ones!

This client switched from BD to a competitor within the past year and thought that BD had been uninstalled (it was not listed in the Control Panel nor in the System Tray). However, C:\Program Files\Bit Defender 2008 still existed as did C:\Program Files\Common Files\Bit Defender. Both folders together contained approximately 300 GB (I'm not kidding) of definition files for Spam and Threat.

In this case, since the client had already another antivirus product, I had to manually remove all traces of BD from their computer and the problem was fixed. (It takes a long time to remove that much data, though!)

Just a heads up that this problem is occurring in case anyone else runs across it. Hopefully BitDefender has fixed this issue in newer versions of the product.

Hi Electric,

There was a thread in 2010 products similar to the problem you noticed.

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?s=&...ost&p=67339

It's a bit strange, I have not noticed yet it could fill the hard disk that much (I have a pretty small one and not that kind of problem) maybe another issue not fixed yet that will be settled with the 2011 version?.

Regards,

:mellow:

L.