Bit Defender Internetsecurity2010 Major Problems

I some time ago installed bd is 2010 on a friends box (dell) with win media center sp2 (win xp)

Up till this week BD has worked fine then all of a sudden this big problem, of it not loading properly at boot up, the red icon appears (no scan activity bar) then the submit crash pop up appears,

The file info relates to the BD AGENT , click submit it disappears then reappears again and is a continuous cycle,and then eventually the red bd tray icon just disappears, a look in task manager confirms than some bd processes are running minus bd agent,

I have tried several times re-installing BD as no repair option is given at any associated location, with the exact same results,

So what do you propose next BD? as clearly this is down to your incompetence via auto updates again

Comments

• I some time ago installed bd is 2010 on a friends box (dell) with win media center sp2 (win xp)

Up till this week BD has worked fine then all of a sudden this big problem, of it not loading properly at boot up, the red icon appears (no scan activity bar) then the submit crash pop up appears,

The file info relates to the BD AGENT , click submit it disappears then reappears again and is a continuous cycle,and then eventually the red bd tray icon just disappears, a look in task manager confirms than some bd processes are running minus bd agent,

I have tried several times re-installing BD as no repair option is given at any associated location, with the exact same results,

So what do you propose next BD? as clearly this is down to your incompetence via auto updates again

Hi Davey,

I do not speculate on Bd's own flaws, I just repeat that we should have only one firewall, one antivirus, one extra antispyware.

To keep several anti malware soft is really a bad idea.

Did you clean your friend's xp off the former antivirus and firewall system? - considering he has a Dell machine, he probably got lots of extra software - free but not obviously useful - including another anti malware stuff on this brand machine.

Did you check and suppress it? (CCleaner is useful to get rid of orphan files in the registry base - dangerous to use too)

You tried a repair&remove operation without success, so...

the action of a malware could happen too. It could be a good idea to analyze the hard disk and send the report to BD if you find bad files

You could download BD soft as well and reinstall it completely

:huh:

Good luck for the checking, cleaning and so...

Regards

:)

L.

• dave r
    edited June 2010
    Hi Davey,

I do not speculate on Bd's own flaws, I just repeat that we should have only one firewall, one antivirus, one extra antispyware.

To keep several anti malware soft is really a bad idea.

Did you clean your friend's xp off the former antivirus and firewall system? - considering he has a Dell machine, he probably got lots of extra software - free but not obviously useful - including another anti malware stuff on this brand machine.

Did you check and suppress it? (CCleaner is useful to get rid of orphan files in the registry base - dangerous to use too)

You tried a repair&remove operation without success, so...

the action of a malware could happen too. It could be a good idea to analyze the hard disk and send the report to BD if you find bad files

You could download BD soft as well and reinstall it completely

:huh:

Good luck for the checking, cleaning and so...

Regards

:)

L.

There is no other AV firewall ect on the pc, bit defender has been on this pc for nearly 12mths and worked without this problem until this last week, and yes the registry was cleaned after bd was un installed, by a paid for registry cleaner,pc tools registry mechanic which i 'Ive used previously without issues, and all things removed can be restored

• dave r
    edited June 2010

Just spent a lot of time trying to get bd to work properly on this system, but it is not possible, as after install it pop's up the report wizard b/s and repeats this several times, then windows alerts me no firewall is switched on, and av out of date, then the tray icon disappears, if i update bd, not allowing the product update to the latest build as that definitely don't work, it still crashes up to windows load up at boot,????? so now it's off the system, that is able to run other av antispyware products ok, i have a retail boxed copy of this unopened, i think i will be selling it if that's possible, as i not having another 12mths of bitdefender h e l l ( why is the word H E L L censored?) seems to be as dumb as the product itself don't you think?

• Hello again Davey,

First of all, even if I understand your frustration, I see no reason to either patronize or mock me. As I already explained in few topic where you posted, regardless of the topic subject, that we need to further investigate the matter. I am still waiting for the requested log files.

Furthermore, if you do not update BitDefender to the latest build, you may encounter certain issues that were resolved with the release of the 13.0.21.347 build therefore I strongly recommend you to update BitDefender.

Keep in mind that, even with the risk of repeating myself, it's a must that you uninstall all the other security solutions you had/have installed on your PC for BitDefender to work properly.

Last but not least note that the issue you encounter is not related to any faulty update nor by incompetence as you mentioned in your original post.

Thank you for your time and looking forward to your answer so we can resolve the issue you encounter!

• dave r
    edited June 2010
    Hello again Davey,

First of all, even if I understand your frustration, I see no reason to either patronize or mock me. As I already explained in few topic where you posted, regardless of the topic subject, that we need to further investigate the matter. I am still waiting for the requested log files.

Furthermore, if you do not update BitDefender to the latest build, you may encounter certain issues that were resolved with the release of the 13.0.21.347 build therefore I strongly recommend you to update BitDefender.

Keep in mind that, even with the risk of repeating myself, it's a must that you uninstall all the other security solutions you had/have installed on your PC for BitDefender to work properly.

Last but not least note that the issue you encounter is not related to any faulty update nor by incompetence as you mentioned in your original post.

Thank you for your time and looking forward to your answer so we can resolve the issue you encounter!

2 things on the machine in question,(PC 2) there was no other av ect installed, and bd had worked without issues until shortly after the build update, bd is no longer installed, i disagree with your comments , you say that i mock you??? please explain why you drew that conclusion?

(PC 1)

As the latest build was causing serious issues im not prepared to re install that build or let bd download/install it via updates, as i do not want to have to re install my o/s and loose data because of some av product that stops my pc so i use manual updates, signatures only until it is fixed/broken again, and as bd does not find or stop all known malware running on a pc it is necessary to also have other antispyware products to use to perform a on demand scan products that have co- existed with bd without issues

• Hi Davey,

I do not understand what you mean by 'latest build was causing serious issues'. Can you please explain what exactly these issues are? Any error message ? What build are you referring to, 13.0.21.347 ? Furthermore please note that no antivirus will find all threats or possible malware, that is the reason why we ask from our clients samples of suspected files so we can analyze them and, if it's the case, to add a detection for it. Using multiple security solutions on the same computer is NOT recommended.

Please provide me with all details about what is happening when you use the .21 build so I can better understand the situation and be able to provide you with a resolution.

I do not see any reason why you would lose data or have to re-install your Operating System after updating to the .21 build. We had no similar cases and, even if it's the case, that can be easily resolve by a System Restore to a previous time. To stay on the safe side you can simply create a Windows restore point before installing the .21 build.

Regards,

• Hi Davey,

I do not understand what you mean by 'latest build was causing serious issues'. Can you please explain what exactly these issues are? Any error message ? What build are you referring to, 13.0.21.347 ? Furthermore please note that no antivirus will find all threats or possible malware, that is the reason why we ask from our clients samples of suspected files so we can analyze them and, if it's the case, to add a detection for it. Using multiple security solutions on the same computer is NOT recommended.

Please provide me with all details about what is happening when you use the .21 build so I can better understand the situation and be able to provide you with a resolution.

I do not see any reason why you would lose data or have to re-install your Operating System after updating to the .21 build. We had no similar cases and, even if it's the case, that can be easily resolve by a System Restore to a previous time. To stay on the safe side you can simply create a Windows restore point before installing the .21 build.

Regards,

Firstly the latest build (21) = 13.0.21.347 Because bit defender failed to block a malicious ****** ect on a web page that then infected my pc but as the bd firewall was set to always ask it was prevented from downloading further malware ect, this was a very old virus, even a Google search revealed details of it and how to remove it, and i used pc tools spyware doctor to remove it, which it did straight away, this btw is not the first time bd has failed to detect a virus or be able to remove it,

The issues that the build 13.0.21.347 (21) has caused are as follows : pc 1 has run fine for the past 9mths or more with bdis2010 surprisingly i may add until the latest product build, resulting in bd agent crashing continuously until the red ball (tray icon) disappears, along with the scan activity window, it will do this at every boot up, also it wasn't updating either ? so after a few attempts of re-installing it with no changes, it is no longer on that machine

PC2: problems with windows explorer which would randomly crash, Internet explorer 7 bd kept stealing the selected pages focus, and worst of all after several days it would lock up the pc, so i was unable to do anything apart from move my mouse around the screen, no task man no nothing only thing i was able to do was power off the machine with windows in a loaded (open) state, as for system restore if i was to suffer data corruption as a result of powering off a running pc (witch is basically the same as power loss) there is every chance that the windows o/s could be so badly damaged that it will not even boot, and the repair option would too fail, or as a result i loose data data that is on the disk but windows can no longer access it ,that is what i meant i would never rely on system restore points or advise anybody else to do so

• Firstly the latest build (21) = 13.0.21.347 Because bit defender failed to block a malicious ****** ect on a web page that then infected my pc but as the bd firewall was set to always ask it was prevented from downloading further malware ect, this was a very old virus, even a Google search revealed details of it and how to remove it, and i used pc tools spyware doctor to remove it, which it did straight away, this btw is not the first time bd has failed to detect a virus or be able to remove it,

The issues that the build 13.0.21.347 (21) has caused are as follows : pc 1 has run fine for the past 9mths or more with bdis2010 surprisingly i may add until the latest product build, resulting in bd agent crashing continuously until the red ball (tray icon) disappears, along with the scan activity window, it will do this at every boot up, also it wasn't updating either ? so after a few attempts of re-installing it with no changes, it is no longer on that machine

PC2: problems with windows explorer which would randomly crash, Internet explorer 7 bd kept stealing the selected pages focus, and worst of all after several days it would lock up the pc, so i was unable to do anything apart from move my mouse around the screen, no task man no nothing only thing i was able to do was power off the machine with windows in a loaded (open) state, as for system restore if i was to suffer data corruption as a result of powering off a running pc (witch is basically the same as power loss) there is every chance that the windows o/s could be so badly damaged that it will not even boot, and the repair option would too fail, or as a result i loose data data that is on the disk but windows can no longer access it ,that is what i meant i would never rely on system restore points or advise anybody else to do so,

Since re-installing the previous build on 13.0.20.347 (pc2) i have no explorer crashing ,ie7 active window focus being stolen, or the system lock up's and looking at the windows event logs which don't show any related error msgs, but i am able to tell how long the pc was in the locked state several hours on on occasion, and the pc is always connected to the internet