Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Bitdefender 2010 Ts :: Epson Cx7400 Issues

Options

I'm using BitDefender Total Security 2010 on Windows XP x64 SP2

Every time I try to use an application to print a document, the application crashes. Internet explorer crashes when attempting to print, Firefox does too, Paint Shop Pro as well, and every program that tries to print crashes. When I click on Print, the application hangs, and I have to close it.

To my surprise, I noticed that uninstalling BitDefender fixed my issue. When I reinstalled BitDefender, my applications crashed again when trying to access the printer.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Hello Eric,

Please open BitDefender in Expert Mode, go to the Antivirus module and disable Real time protection for 15 minutes. Then try again to print using these applications.

If the issue does not occur when the Real time protection is disabled, re-enable it, click on Advanced Settings, disable the Active Virus Control and test again.

Please let us know if the issue persists with the AVC disabled, or even with the Real Time protection disabled.

Thank you.

• I disabled AVC and Realtime Protection, both of which did not solve my issues. Also, I still cannot activate.

I have made a video which I have attached to this post showing how activation fails and my printer issues.

http://www.dinofly.com/muz/printer_and_activation.rar

Let me know.

• Still can't print.

• Unknown
    Options

Hello Eric,

Please be so kind as to follow the steps bellow and let us know if you can print:

- open BitDefender in Expert Mode

- go to the Firewall module

- click on Advanced Settings

- uncheck the Enable Intrusion Detection (IDS) option

- try again to print and let us know if the issue persists.

Thank you.

• I did not realize that I had to restart my computer after I enable / disable Intrusion Detection, enable / disable AVC, or enable/disable HTTP scanning for the changes to take affect. After logging on and off my account after changing a few BitDefender settings (almost the same thing as restarting), I was able to find the problem.

The problem lies in the Intrusion Detection System along with the AVC. When both are disabled, I can print. When one is enabled and the other is disabled, I cannot print. When they are both enabled, I cannot print.

When are these issues going to be fixed? BitDefender only seems to be getting worse.

• Is there a way I can get my printer to work with Intrusion Detection System and AVC activated yet?

• Unknown
    Options

Hi Eric,

Please open BitDefender in Expert mode and tell me the following:

- the level of the slider under Antivirus -> AVC

Keep the IDS enabled then follow the steps below to add the Epson processes as an exception into the AVC module as explained below:

1. Double click on the BitDefender icon located on the Desktop to open the software;

2. Click on 'Settings' and then switch UI to: EXPERT MODE;

3. Click on OK;

4. Go to 'Antivirus' tab;

5. Go to 'Shield' tab;

6. Click on 'Advanced Settings' button;

7. Put 'Active Virus Control' slider bar on PERMISSIVE;

8. Click on the small '+';

9. In the new window browse for the Epson executable file(s) and add it as an exception.

Regarding the activation issue please let me know if persists or you were able to successfully register so I can further guide you in finding a resolution.

Looking forward to your answer!

Thank you,

• Hi Eric,

Please open BitDefender in Expert mode and tell me the following:

- the level of the slider under Antivirus -> AVC

Keep the IDS enabled then follow the steps below to add the Epson processes as an exception into the AVC module as explained below:

1. Double click on the BitDefender icon located on the Desktop to open the software;

2. Click on 'Settings' and then switch UI to: EXPERT MODE;

3. Click on OK;

4. Go to 'Antivirus' tab;

5. Go to 'Shield' tab;

6. Click on 'Advanced Settings' button;

7. Put 'Active Virus Control' slider bar on PERMISSIVE;

8. Click on the small '+';

9. In the new window browse for the Epson executable file(s) and add it as an exception.

Regarding the activation issue please let me know if persists or you were able to successfully register so I can further guide you in finding a resolution.

Looking forward to your answer!

Thank you,

And how would I find where my Epson executable files are stored? Finding them somewhere in the Windows folder would be a nightmare.... As a user of this software, I shouldn't have to whitelist my printer.... -_-

• And how would I find where my Epson executable files are stored? Finding them somewhere in the Windows folder would be a nightmare.... As a user of this software, I shouldn't have to whitelist my printer.... -_-

Hi Eric,

Please upload here a video capture or two screenshots with task manager (or process explorer): before and after the crash.

Also, after the crash, go to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\BitDefender\BehavioralScanner\Feedback\ and gather all files you find there, archive them, then upload them here.

• Unknown
    Options

The file that you execute to open the printer's software needs to be added as an exception into the AVC module. Also make sure that you set the AVC slider to Permissive as explained in my previous post. Also please check and see if there are any files listed under the AVC module and their status: allowed/denied.

If possible also post a screenshot of the AVC module within BitDefender security center. Thank you!

Regards,

• The file that you execute to open the printer's software needs to be added as an exception into the AVC module. Also make sure that you set the AVC slider to Permissive as explained in my previous post. Also please check and see if there are any files listed under the AVC module and their status: allowed/denied.

If possible also post a screenshot of the AVC module within BitDefender security center. Thank you!

Regards,

It's Epson Status Monitor 3.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\DRIVERS\x64\3\E_IATICDA.EXE

Perhaps BitDefender should not interfere with the printing processes:

splwow64.exe

spoolsv.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\DRIVERS\x64\3\E_IATICDA.EXE

and my very own Epson Status Monitor when AVC or IDS is enabled.

Currently, I have both turned off. I might turn it back on to permissive, but again, I shouldn't have to whitelist my printer in any program ever.

• Unknown
    edited June 2010
    Options

Hi Eric,

Please tell me if you can locate in your computer the file: Twain.log

It should be located in C:\Documents and Settings\<Windows Username>\Local Settings\Temp\

If you can't find it I suggest you run a Windows search for it.

When you have located the file please add it as an exception into both AVC and also as an exception into the Antivirus module.

Please let me know if the issue was resolved.

Regards,

• Hi Eric,

Please tell me if you can locate in your computer the file: Twain.log

It should be located in C:\Documents and Settings\<Windows Username>\Local Settings\Temp\

If you can't find it I suggest you run a Windows search for it.

When you have located the file please add it as an exception into both AVC and also as an exception into the Antivirus module.

Please let me know if the issue was resolved.

Regards,

I added the Twain.log file to the AVC exceptions, added all my printer files to the AVC exceptions list, and still printing crashes the program when AVC is enabled on the permissive level. Also, IDS also causes the applications trying to print to crash as well.

Any other ideas?