No Network Connection

CogitoTesting
edited February 2022 in The Archive

Hi Guys

Windows Vista SP1 x64

Protection: Comodo Internet Security 3.11 and NOD 32 Antivirus 4

I've been having problem updating bitdefender Rescue CD. Also I would like to state that everything is loaded properly. However since there is no network connection therefore, I was not able to update the virus definition. Every time I clicked upon update I got an error message stating that there is no network connection.

I made sure that my router worked properly and reloaded the Bitdefender rescue CD and still there was not networkconnection while actually there was. Thus Bitdefender rescue CD could not connect to its own server to download the latest definitions. I hope Bitdefender fix this soon.

Comments

• Hello CogitoTesting,

Please tell us first of all if you are using a cabled or a wi-fi Internet connection for this system.

Thanks!

• Hello CogitoTesting,

Please tell us first of all if you are using a cabled or a wi-fi Internet connection for this system.

Thanks!

Hi Diana I'm using a cable connection. Thanks for your reply.

• Hello CogitoTesting,

Please tell me what type of network adapter do you have(brand name and version) and also if you tried updating the virus signatures using the desktop icon that is loaded up after boot.

We will also need the exact error message you receive concerning the connection.

Thanks!

• Dear Diana,

I have exactly the same problem.

The network adapter I am using is Intel 82567LM Gigabit from a 2530p HP Notebook. Others live CDs such as from parted magic works flawlessly and can identify Network adapter and establish internet connection without problem.

There is also no error message. The internet connection just cannot be established, and of course no update of virus definition is possible.

Thanks very much in advance for your help

• Hello Romeo_ge,

After booting the system using the LiveCD you will have on the Desktop an icon for updating the virus signatures. Please try to access it and tell me if you receive any error messages when trying to update the virus signatures like this.

Another test: Please create a LiveCD using the latest Knoppix .iso available for download:

http://www.knoppix.org/

Try to boot the system from it and tell us if you receive the same error message concerning the Internet connection.

Thank you!

• Hello Romeo_ge,

After booting the system using the LiveCD you will have on the Desktop an icon for updating the virus signatures. Please try to access it and tell me if you receive any error messages when trying to update the virus signatures like this.

Another test: Please create a LiveCD using the latest Knoppix .iso available for download:

http://www.knoppix.org/

Try to boot the system from it and tell us if you receive the same error message concerning the Internet connection.

Thank you!

Hello Diana,

done as you have instructed:

after clicking on desktop icon for updating virus signatures, a shell window shows up with following message:

Trying to update BitDefender-scanner.....failed check your network

hit enter to continue

After hit enter, a network check window shows up, after choosing LAN or Wireless option, following message appears:

DHCP broadcast from eth0 Operation failed

hit enter to exit.

I will try the latest Knoppix v6.0.1 from 10.02.2009 and report result later. Thanks

• Unknown
    edited September 2009

Hello Romeo_ge,

Do you have by any chance a DHCP server in your network where you get your IP/DNS from or do you have a static IP address configured for your local network connection ? You can check this when booting in Windows in Start - Run - type ncpa.cpl [Enter] and right click on the current network connection - Properties - Internet Protocol TCP/IP - Properties. If the option "Obtain an IP address automatically" is checked and the same goes for DNS then you probably have a DHCP server in your local network.

We would need this info together with the Knoppix test in order to provide you with a resolution.

• Hello Romeo_ge,

Do you have by any chance a DHCP server in your network where you get your IP/DNS from or do you have a static IP address configured for your local network connection ? You can check this when booting in Windows in Start - Run - type ncpa.cpl [Enter] and right click on the current network connection - Properties - Internet Protocol TCP/IP - Properties. If the option "Obtain an IP address automatically" is checked and the same goes for DNS then you probably have a DHCP server in your local network.

Hello Diana,

yes, option "Obtain an IP address automatically" is checked and the same goes for DNS. I think, this is standard configuration for every DSL internet access in germany with a Fritzbox router. I did not change anything.

We would need this info together with the Knoppix test in order to provide you with a resolution.

I tried the Knoppix Live CD and everything works flawlessly, network connection is automatically identified and establisched, no manual configuration required. Right now, I am writting the response with the Knoppix CD.

Thanks very much in advance for your further support.

• Hi Romeo_ge,

Try downloading the latest version of the LiveCD from our website and then boot your system from it:

http://download.bitdefender.com/rescue_cd/...0_3_08_2009.iso

I need to know if you receive the same error message when booting from this .iso as well.

Thanks!

• Try downloading the latest version of the LiveCD from our website and then boot your system from it:

http://download.bitdefender.com/rescue_cd/...0_3_08_2009.iso

I need to know if you receive the same error message when booting from this .iso as well.

Thanks!

Hi Diana,

yes, I tried the .iso, too. The same error occurs. :(

Is there a way how I could build Bitdefender rescue cd into knoppix livecd, since the knoppix has no problem with network connection? Or could you update the Bitdefender .iso with the latest knoppix to get it working? I am desperately seeking for emergency solution. Right now, everything is still fine. But if my machine gets infected and OS boot is not possible anymore, I would definitely need a rescue CD with working virus signature update. As far as I know, only Bitdefender is supporting this, correct?

Thanks

• Unknown
    edited September 2009

Hello Romeo_ge,

Most likely this is a network detection issue due to the fact that the current Knoppix version in the LiveCD does not seem to detect the network.

Therefore it would be more efficient to update by running the cumulative zip, available here:

http://download.bitdefender.com/updates/up.../cumulative.zip

Please save it on a removable device like a USB stick and then boot the Rescue_CD. After the system entered the graphical interface, open a terminal as root by right-clicking on desktop and choosing the option from the contextual menu. In terminal, please follow this procedure (the "#" means the prompt):

# cat /proc/partitions > /root/1.txt

Plug the stick in the USB port, wait for about a minute and then type:

# cat /proc/partitions > /root/2.txt

# mkdir -v /media/$(diff /root/1.txt /root/2.txt | awk '/.d.[0-9]/ {print $5}')

Please write down the directory that it created.

# mount $(echo "/dev/`diff /root/1.txt /root/2.txt | awk '/.d.[0-9]/ {print $5}'`") \

/media/$(diff /root/1.txt /root/2.txt | awk '/.d.[0-9]/ {print $5}')

Please note that the "\" character means newline in this text, you shouldn't really type it.

At this moment the USB stick is mounted as a local filesystem and we may try to update using the cumulative.zip on it.

Minimize the terminal windows, open the "Update Signatures" application by clicking

the icon on desktop, you'll receive a "...fail, check your network?" message,

press Enter, a new pop-up window will appear, navigate to "Cumulative Load cumulative zip file

from harddisk", press OK, go to the directory created with our previous "mkdir" command,

choose the cumulative.zip file and press OK in order to update the antivirus signatures.

Now you may run a scan either with "bdgui" graphical tool or "bdscan" tool in console.

• Hello Diana,

thank you very much for your kind help.

I will use it as you proposed, but I understand this as a work-around since the latest Knoppix live cd I have created has no issue with network connection on my machine. Hopefully it will be fixed soon by the Bitdefender Team.

Thanks a lot again.

cheers

• Dear Diana

I have the same connection issue as Romeo_ge. I will try the USB signature update option. I also spent time researching the command to modify the boot options so I can now boot from the CD to the GUI. I also am looking forward to a internet connection fix for the rescue cd. Thanks, Gaylem

I will use it as you proposed, but I understand this as a work-around since the latest Knoppix live cd I have created has no issue with network connection on my machine. Hopefully it will be fixed soon by the Bitdefender Team.

• The latest build for the Rescue CD, dated July 14,2010, using Xubuntu, solved my problem. I can now boot to the GUI without command line options. The connection to the DSL modem works and updates files. Thanks for the updated Rescue CD build. Gaylem

Dear Diana

I have the same connection issue as Romeo_ge. I will try the USB signature update option. I also spent time researching the command to modify the boot options so I can now boot from the CD to the GUI. I also am looking forward to a internet connection fix for the rescue cd. Thanks, Gaylem

• Hi Diana!

Great description, but does not work on the newest release.

I need to scan PCs with no internet access. So I need to make update manually and permanent. How can I do this?

These are the steps I made. I think I am on the right way, but a litle bit far from the goal.

After mounting the drive containing cumulative.zip, i was looking for the "Update Signatures" shortcut. But it does not exist.

I looked for some command line parameters of bdscan and bdgui to update from zip, but still no success.

I found a shell ****** in /opt/BitDefender-scanner/bin/ which has a posibility to specify zip file with a text-mode dialog, but could not actually get it to enter folders and display actual files, so it was useless.

So I examined the ****** to see what it does I and found the command unziping the package. Great! But there is no unzip in the distribution.

Let's try to do this from the outside.

I suppose the definition files are in the casper\filesystem.squashfs... I suppose, because I found no tools to read it.

So I am stucked...

My questions:

1) Is any standard way in the newest distribution to do a manual update?

2) Is any standard way to do a permanent update from inside (I am runing it grom an USB stick)?

3) What is the file in the ISO containing the actual definition files?

4) Is any way to do a permanent update from the outside - updating a squashfs file, adding a new one... or something else:

I will continue to do it on my way... but any help is appreciated.

Thank you!

• THE PROBLEM: BITDEFENDER RESCUE CD CANNOT AUTOMATICALLY CONFIGURE YOUR NETWORK CONNECTION TO THE INTERNET TO RECEIVE THE UPDATES

FIXIT STEPS:

1. Start the Rescue CD as per usual.

2. Cancel the update error and the automatic scanner.

3. GoTo the toolbar at the bottom (middle) of the screen, the one with the little tiny black mouse on the left side of it.

4. On the right side of that toolbar is an icon that looks like to superimposed windows. It is the second to the farmost right icon on that toolbar. If you hover on that icon for a second, you'll see a popup flag that says "No Network Connected".

5. Now click on that icon. When the tool list comes up, you'll see that the BitDefender Rescue CD system is not connected to a network.

6. Configure your network connection from there. It is EASY!

WIRELESS: If you have a WiFi card in your computer, you should see the ESSD name of your network, or another available one. Click on the network and type in the password. It will then connect to that network and now the virus definition updating should work. CAUTION: If you double-click on, or click on the network connection again, IT WILL DISCONNECT! If that happens, just restart the network connection the same way as you just did.

ETHERNET: If you have a wired (ethnet) network connection, click on it and it should connect automatically. ONLY CLICK ON IT ONCE OR IT WILL CONNECT AND THEN DISCONNECT! If it does, go back to it and click on it ONCE again.

7. Now, on the desktop, right-click the BitDefender Scannner icon (red ball looking thing) and click on "execute". The scanner should then open and you can click on "Update". It should now update the virus definitions.

8. Once the update finishes, close the update box.

9. Now click on the "Scan" icon and select where you want to it to scan as per usual.

NOTE: IF YOU RESTART THE COMPUTER, OR THE NEXT TIME YOU USE THIS RESCUE CD, YOU'LL HAVE TO REPEAT THESE STEPS AGAIN.

• What about when I'm at a site with no Internet connection - then how do I update using the CUMULATIVE.ZIP file in the latest rescue/livecd? The method for the old version doesn't work as no window pops up allowing me to browse to or even type in the location of the virus definitions file (which, btw, I've added to the root of the CD's image (burned onto CDRW media), along with the download location (http://download.bitdefender.com/updates/bitdefender_v7/cumulative.zip) for future updates; of course, a USB pen drive should also work.

• Hello and welcome to our forum.

You can not update the Rescue CD using the cumulative.zip because all the files are checked before they are loaded in memory.

The Rescue CD can be updated only using a direct connection to the internet.

In Bitdefender 2012 there is not need to use the Rescue CD because the product has a special module called Rescue Mode.

We recommend you to run a scan using the Rescue mode, which is not using the Windows OS to load it uses an independent operating system.

Please open Bitdefender > click on Scan now from the Antivirus panel > choose Rescue Mode from the drop down menu. Click "yes" to confirm that you want to reboot your PC. Press Enter to boot from the Bitdefender Rescue Image and wait until the Antivirus engine is installed. Click Continue to start the Wizard guide and wait for the virus signatures to updates. Then wait for the Antivirus engines to load and start a scan.

http://www.pcmag.com/slideshow_viewer/0,32...bid=lz-UPSb4Ps3

Thank you.

• Dear Cristi,

Thanks for the warm welcome & speedy response. The predicament I find myself in is when I'm trying to help a friend who may or may not have BitDefender installed, but a virus has disabled his/her system to the point where such an action/installation would be impossible due to the system not even being able to boot into Windows' safe mode; that's kind of the point/purpose of a rescue CD, isn't it?

Anyway, sometimes there isn't an Internet connection available or there isn't the time/bandwidth/mb-quota necessary to download an update at their house. In such cases, downloading the cumulative.zip file ahead of time and putting it on USB or burning it to the CDRW would be necessary.

However, what I hear you saying is that although the older version of BitDefender's LiveCD supported this, the new one does not. If that's the case then could you please help me understand the purpose of removing previously-existing functionality and flexibility in a rescue CD?

Appreciatively,

WEC777

• Welcome back

The newer version of Bitdefender Rescue CD is based on another Linux distribution than the old one. This is why you can not manually update the signatures using cumulative.zip

This version is lighter, much more solid and loads a lot faster.

As I mentioned earlier, the only way to download the new definitions is to directly connect that machine to the internet.

Thank you.

• Nevermind, I figured it out myself. For anyone who's interested, here are the steps:

1. Erase the files in "update" directory of the ISO image using a program like MagicISO or similar
    2. Grab & extract one of the following zip files into a folder called "update" within the ISO

3. If it's not Monday, also grab weekly.zip & extract it over the top of "update", overwriting existing contents
    4. Burn the updated ISO to CD or use something to put it on USB (there are guides for this here and here)
    5. Boot the CD/USB
    6. Exit the scanner
    7. Copy the contents of the "update" directory into "/opt/BitDefender-scanner/var/lib/scan", overwriting the existing contents
    8. Run the scanner

Let me know if you have any questions, comments or concerns.

• Hello

Interesting stuff. But please note that we do not recommend you to use this method.

Thank you.

• Hello

Interesting stuff. But please note that we do not recommend you to use this method.

Thank you.

More than interesting, more than nice: it's a NECESSITY if a friend/customer/client/site has no Internet connection, or if time is at all valuable to either the customer or the technician.

I whole-heartedly agree that Bit Defender shouldn't recommend this method; they should IMPLEMENT it the way it was in the previous version rescue CD!

Moving backwards only loses customers & thus market share, and I don't think that's what your company's executives really want. \;^J

Just my .02, for whatever it's worth (maybe a bonus/raise/promotion, for you if you mention it to your super),

-wec777

• Welcome back

I will forward your back to our Project Manager. Thank you again for your support. Have a nice day.

• How often should we download a new Rescue CD?

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭

Hello

Just once. After that you can update it each time when you try to run a full system scan.

Thank you.

• So the newest Rescue CD doesn't allow modification (it's got a built-in CRC check for the squash file system), nor does it allow for a manual update as requested in this thread.

Furthermore, the server referenced by both the new & old Rescue CD's, namely http://upgrade.bitdefender.com/av32bit, has been disabled for downloading through web browsers in order to disallow us including it in a hacked manually-updated Rescue CD per my discovered work-around.

CoincidenceS? I don't think so.

Conclusion: BitDefender won't acknowledge the need for a manual update and NOW THEY WON'T EVEN LET US USE A WORK-AROUND! Bad form, BitDefender... or should I call you BigDefunker? What's your DAMAGE?!?

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    edited February 2012

Hello :)

Some changes will be made in the near future to our servers.

Most of the update locations will be migrated so it can be used for other services too.

We are sorry for the inconvenience.

• wec777bd
    edited February 2012

(responding as if that first sentence was grammatically correct)

If I'm translating correctly, that means we can download the updates in the future after the servers have been fixed; thank you.

Now what about the problem with changing the ISO file whereby the Rescue CD won't boot after any files (i.e. extracted CUMULATIVE UPDATE folder) are added so the ISO file structure looks something like this:

• root
    • casper
    • cumulative
    • Docs
    • install
    • isolinux
    • [bOOT]
    • md5sum.txt
    • README.diskdefines
    ???
  • How do I specify the internet settings, given that I do not have DHCP activated?

I tried the procedure from the message by CRINWP on Jun 13 2011, and it SEEMS to connect but I cannot get it to update.

I admit that when I did that it was almost midnight, so I will try again, but having the ability to change the internet setting BEFORE the CD starts the scan it would be useful...

• Once you started using BD, it is better to download the rescue CD right away before getting some problems in the future.good.gif

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭

Welcome back.

Yes, is recommended to download the CD when you want to use it because we update it almost monthly with the latest signatures and updates.

Take care.

• mekkano
    edited March 2012

WEC777,

Why to bothering yourself trying to find out how to manually and permanently update bitdefender-rcd? there are many other av rescue cds that can be updated. Just try Kaspersky rescue cd, you can update it using some .bat procedure (just google a little bit) or using its kaspersky updater gui. other alternatives are symantec's ghost 15 (you can download lastest av defs and extract and copy to your cd) or create a bootable cd or usb with symantec nbrt and keep them updated trhu its gui. You may give a try to either avira or avg emergency bootables cds, yes you can keep them updated in some what easy way. I realized you have the skills to figure out how to do it.

I'm pretty sure bitdefender does not care about adding a feature to update off-line its useless bd-rcd, useless because, as you said, may your friend, boss or whoever not have internet and no way to use the autoupdate feature or just because you have to scan many computers and i'm sure you don't want to download the same updates on every computer (imagine you have to scan 20+ computers)

By the way, panda's rescue cd is as useless as bitdefender because the same: no way to off-line update it!

Actually, I created a multi-boot usb with all above products mentioned, also included bitdefender but never used it because its uselessness of keep it updated. So when I have to recomend to a friend an av I recommend any of them except bitdefender.

I agree, might not care bit defender lose market share nor win a major portion of av industry's cake.

• Seems like the version 2013 have the same problem ...

http://download.bitdefender.com/rescue_cd/2013/

And in the menu , Network settings is grayed out ....

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    edited October 2012

Do you have a wireless connection?

Thank you!

• Hello :)

Do you have a wireless connection?

Thank you!

No. I do not have a connection. Does this restriction still exist? It seems . . . . . .very odd to me. I have been disgusted with my prior AV provider and was excited about bit defender esp. this resue CD. But why require a connection? It seems obvious that BD is extracting info from the PC and pushing up to a database. What other possible reason would there be for the restriction? I must give kudos to the forum administrator for allowing someone to state that Kapersky does not have the restriction. I will be using them unless I hear this goofy restriction has been lifted. I suppose the logic may be that 'you get it for free so we at least get your info.' . . .maybe. I'd pay for the rescue CD but . . . . anyway. Thanks.