Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Every Application I Run Fails To Terminate Properly

Options

I had to uninstall Bit Defender 2010 from my Windows 7 Ultimate 64 PC earlier today, while it was running every application/game I was running was leaving a process in memory gradually stacking up leaving me with 10+ Internet explorer processes and even more for my mail client. I also have it installed on my 64 bit windows 7 home professional PC right next to it and that works just fine.

Comments

• scape
    Options

I reinstalled windows ultimate 64 and even with a clean windows install the same problem persisted and I had to remove it again.

• alexcrist
    Options

Hello scape,

Are you using any other security software on your system? What version of BitDefender are you running?

Also, please post some exact examples of software that have problems. I'm also running Windows 7 Professional x64 and BitDefender Total Security 2010 and haven't been able to reproduce your problem.

Cris.

• scape
    edited July 2010
    Options

I was running Bit Defender Anti Virus 2010 On Windows Ultimate 64, and it affected all programs, from IE to Bad Company 2 to Total Commander to Thunderbird etc.

Im not running any other security software of any kind outside of windows firewall.

• alexcrist
    Options

Please try to disable the Active Virus Control module:

- open BitDefender Security Center

- go to Antivirus -> Shield

- click on Advanced settings

- uncheck Active Virus Control is enabled

To make sure, also restart your system. Then please see if the problem persists.

Also, please post the exact version of Windows that you're using (Vista or 7). You just posted that it's Ultimate.

Cris.

• scape
    edited July 2010
    Options

I dont have bit defender security center, I only have the Anti Virus package not the full protective package, but I did go and disable real-time protection in its configuration screen and the problem stopped, I also tried disabling the "antiphishing" function but that had no effect.

If I set the protection level to permissive the problem also dissappears, on default and agressive it remains. If I set it to custom level and disable every function under that option tree the problem also persists.

PS! I did state what version of windows I had running in my very first post

"WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE 64"

• Unknown
    Options

Hello,

Please mention the applications you are having trouble with. Also try to Disable AVC and see if the issue persist. If the issue is resolved simply add the applications you are having issues with as exceptions into AVC module as explained below:

- open BitDefender Security Center and switch the GUI to Expert Mode

- go to Antivirus tab

- click on the Advanced Settings button

- disable the Active Virus Control feature

- test to see if the issue replicates

To add an exception into AVC click on the small + then locate the executable file of the application causing the issue.

Please confirm that the issue has been resolved.

Regards,

• scape
    Options

I wouldnt call it resolved at all, it applies to every single application I run no exceptions and I run 10-15 different applications. The only way the issue is lessened is when I set the protection level to the lowest, which I shouldnt have to. Its clearly not a problem to specific apps its a problem for every App I run.

It also goes away if I disable the active virus control

• Unknown
    Options

Hi,

An email with instructions on how to further investigate this matter was sent to your address associated with the forum account. Please send me back the requested log files and you will have my reply in the shortest time possible.

Looking forward to your answer!

• scape
    Options

Did you recieve my mail ?

• Hello,

Yes and the analysis of the logs is complete. Check your email for instructions on how to correctly reinstall BitDefender as it was not correctly installed. The only driver that was installed was the Real Time Protection one.

Best regards,

• scape
    Options

Ok thanks the mail you guys sent me and the install from it seems to be working now, Ill let you guys know if I get any further issues.

Thanks !

• scape
    Options

The problem has resurfaced, initially it seemed to be gone, but now I have loads of processes again.

• now I have loads of processes again.

Can you please explain the above quote ? If possible enclose a screenshot of the error message you receive; also disable the AVC and let me know if the issue persist.

I do believe that you may have your computer infected therefore we will need to further investigate.

• scape
    edited August 2010
    Options

task-manager.jpg

Here is the screen, and no Its not an infection, and those are just random applications, so dont get hung up in their names it still happens to every single application I run.

• scape
    Options

Now I get a mail the issue has been resolved ? , it certainly has not. Auto generated mail ?

• Unknown
    edited August 2010
    Options

Hi Scape,

I was waiting an answer if the issue persist with the AVC feature being disabled. Please test it and let me know. Also provide me with few of the applications you have issues with. Include a screenshot or explain what exactly is happening with those applications: they crash or being blocked by BitDefender ?

Last but not least as we need to be certain that it's not a possible infection and the issue is caused by AVC, save and run the file below then restart the computer. If the issue is resolved please let me know.

IMPORTANT: you need to run the tool in Windows Safe Mode. If you wish to manually disable the AVC driver (bdfm.sys), check the attached screenshot. You need to set its start-up value to 4.

post-20064-1281707313_thumb.jpg

The tool can be download HERE

• scape
    edited August 2010
    Options

I did provide a screenshot I guess it was too big for you to see it before moving on.

So direct linking it below

Screenshot !

The programs just do not close after I quit them and a process remains running eventually stacking up and making it impossible to run further instances of some programs, its a problem with every single program once the computer has started as you can see from the screenshot.

Ill run the Tool later today and give you a result during or after the weekend.

• And if you disable AVC / IDS will the applications close normally ? No duplicates in the task manager ?

• And if you disable AVC / IDS will the applications close normally ? No duplicates in the task manager ?

Hi i also get a similar issue, but it doesn' some apps are unaffected, using xpsp3 x86(32bit) outlook express mail client sometimes gives a windows error message when i close it, videolan player seems to be affected by bit defender in that the vlc.exe process keeps running(but displays icon in syst tray) i have avs / ids both disabled it makes no difference, there is another app rapid upload tool (rapidshare) sometimes the connections will stay active(established) even after the app is closed, and process terminated hence still transferring data, this sometimes will happen whilst downloading usually when a lot of connections are established, also there is sometimes a time lag in opening folders ect whilst downloading bit defender related, in fact iirc this has been reported in this forum before , but i will disable the avc/ids driver in the registery and report back if any change noticed

• Sorry I haven't gotten back to you but I decided this was just too much hassle, so I will uninstall your product and go for another option. Best of luck and thanks for trying to solve the issue.