Yandex.ru installation in MS Edge browser not detected by Bitdefender, even with long scan

Hi, I think you ought to know this - that is Bitdefender itself. Yandex.ru, in other words Putin, is now part of my search engine. Whenever I try to search for something, results come up in Russian and I cannot change the default search engine away from Yandex.ru.

Bitdefender did NOT prevent this from happening (-: and also the extended system scan did not find and remove it. It should in my humble opinion….

I am thinking of deinstalling MS Edge and reinstalling it, hope this resolves the issue.

see screen shot below.

thanks for assistance and letting the Bitdefender people know that this slipped their scans…

Manuel

Comments

• Update: the yandex.ru virus prevents you from deinstalling it (or any other search engines). Also, resetting Edge does not remove it, and yandex ALWAYS makes itself the default engine again. This is a quite serious breach here and I am surely not the only one with this issue… thanks for assistence. Also, how do i contact Microsoft about this directly?

thank you!

• TaxiMagicien42
    TaxiMagicien42 Defender of the month ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31

Hello @Manny123

To try to help you without guaranteeing that it will work, I invite you to consult the web page below, which explains the procedure to follow (click on the link below).

How To Remove Yandex Ransomware (Virus Removal Guide) (malwaretips.com)

Regards,

TaxiMagicien42

WIndows 11 Home 23H2

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 6-Core Processor 3.70 GHz

Bitdefender Premium Security Plus

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod
    edited August 31

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• TaxiMagicien42

Good evening,

I did make a mistake with the link.
    I opened both links and did not copy the correct one. I apologize for that.

Thank you @Flexx for correcting my mistake.

Regards,

TaxiMagicien42

WIndows 11 Home 23H2

• Hi Flexx and TaxiMagicient 42, first, thanks for your assistance. I looked at the proceedure in the article, and wow, this is quite the journey! I simply do not have the time resources available to me at this time to go through such an extensive process, as I have numerous work-related deadlines that I need to focus on.

That said, why is Bitdefender not able to do this work automatically? Is this not exactly why I have a subscription for it?

Also, the proceedure that Flexx's article outlines, focuses on Google's Chrome, the infected browser here is MS Edge. My question is, what if I simply de-installe MS Edge and then re-install it, would this do it, or is the bug in the OS Windows?

And lastly, how is it that it got installed anyhow, given that I have a good protective anti-virus program working?

thank you, Manuel

• TaxiMagicien42

Hello @Manny123

As far as I know, no security solution including Bitdefender can guarantee 100% protection. And even so, Bitdefender is one of the most reliable solutions.

Regarding your problem, I invite you to consult the support article below:

Here you will find guidelines for Microsoft Edge.

You will also need to reset the Microsoft Edge settings as described below:

Reset Microsoft Edge To Default Settings [2023 Updated] (malwaretips.com)

Please feel free to return if necessary.

Regards,

TaxiMagicien42

WIndows 11 Home 23H2

• Flexx

Well, I guess it's not adware after all. The default Microsoft Edge Chromium browser, unlike any other Chromium browser, comes with a predefined search engine. Kindly follow the link below to change the search engine to Google in your Microsoft Edge Chromium.

https://support.google.com/websearch/answer/464?hl=en

Additionally, here is the option available in Google Chrome.

And here it is for Microsoft Edge Chromium.

Regards

• TaxiMagicien42

Good evening,

@Flexx Thank you again for your support.😉

Regards,

TaxiMagicien42

WIndows 11 Home 23H2

• Hi guys, this time it worked, don't know why. Still strange that yandex.ru made itself the default. Hope that with a new computer start, I'm not back to yandex.ru.

anyways,thanks for your efforts! so much appreciated you guys are there.

Manuel

• Flexx

Nice to know that it was an issue with your default search engine, which has now been resolved.

Regards