Bitdefender Total Scan >50hrs

I've been running the Bitdefender Total Scan on a laptop that I rarely use and so far, it has taken >50hrs. is that normal?

Note: I have put the laptop on flight mode as I was worried that there is an active malware. Also, the screen itself goes to sleep but it doesn't seem to be stopping the scan (at least scanned files keep accumulating).

What am I missing?

Answers

• Alexandru_BD
    Alexandru_BD admin
    edited October 17

Hello @Georg_P,

Is this the first scan you are running on that device, since you mentioned that you rarely use it? I assume this is a system scan, yes? The speed of a system scan depends on many factors such as system specifications, large volumes of data, the computer resources in use by another software, if it’s the first scan since installing Bitdefender, and most importantly, the number of archives & over-compressed files/backups. With every system scan, Bitdefender will index the files that have already been scanned, and the scan time will greatly decrease.

Another question: is this an older device and does it meet the minimum system requirements to install and run Bitdefender? You can check this here.

And did you ever complete a full system scan successfully on that device before? Also, do you have any other security solution installed on the same PC? I'm asking because they can conflict.

I think 50hrs is far from normal, as a matter of fact if the scan is running for more than 12hrs, then something is not right.

Regards,

Alex

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• Hello.
    Open your Bitdefender program, go to Protection -> Antivirus -> Open -> Scans -> System Scan, click on the three dots ••• button on the right next to System Scan, click on "Edit", change the "Scan task priority" to "High", click "Next" and "Save".
    Also, do the same steps for "Quick Scan", change the "Scan task priority" to "High".
    Keep in mind that these kind of a scans will consume more resources (RAM and CPU) than the scans with "Auto" or "Low" priority.
    Regards.