Hello, BD Experts!
My annual sub renewed 15 days ago, and I decided to switch to the Family Plan since it covers 5 accounts / 25 devices and includes Password Manager for all 5 accounts (screenshot 1, from Bitdefender's own support page comparing Family vs Individual plans:
https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/94159/
). Worth noting that page also says Individual plans don't include Parental Control, but I've had Parental Control the whole time on what I thought was a fairly standard setup. I think I purchased the parental control as a separate package in the past but haven't seen it on my sub page for years now come to think of it, so I'm not totally sure how that maps to my account history and being able to use the Parental Control features the whole time.
Before buying, I reached out to Bitdefender support via chat about switching to the Family Plan; they were quick and helpful, refunded my current sub, and advised me to just purchase the Family Plan separately. I then saw in Central that my old sub showed as "expired 15 days ago," so I went ahead and bought the new one.
I removed all devices from the old sub until it showed zero devices in use, then rebooted every device and re-logged into the Bitdefender app.
Per Bitdefender's instructions (same support page), the Family Plan subscription in "My Subscriptions" should show an "Add Members" button, plus a "Family group" tab if you have both individual and family subs. Mine has neither, just the subscription details and install/setup buttons, no way to invite anyone.
I contacted support. They confirmed it's a known bug for some customers, but nothing about this posted on the support/status pages that I can find. I also later noted that my "SecurePass" under the family plan only shows 1 user, which concerns me as I got the family plan almost exclusively so they could all manage their own passwords as advertised in the Family Plan Guide.
- Are SecurePass accounts supposed to be available for all 5 family members, per the Family Plan Guide?
- Is there a way for me to track this known issue as an affected customer?
- If there isn't a clearly defined ETA or way for me to track the issue, would it be better for me to refund the family subscription while I can and purchase it under a new email I haven't used with Bitdefender? I would lose my history which is unfortunate but I would prefer to get the working product if a fresh account would not be affected.
As a software engineer myself, I understand the difficulty in rolling out new features that overlap/conflict with existing ones in older versions; I also know how tricky and drawn-out the process can be 😁 I've made a post on Reddit with screenshots here: https://www.reddit.com/r/BitDefender/comments/1vk8z3w/upgraded_to_ultimate_security_family_plan_add/
Thanks for your feedback!