Greetings all,
I was jotting down some physical notes to store offline for account recovery & disaster recovery hygiene, and while sitting at my desk the power for the building dropped for a split second and seemed like it was about to take everything down, but instead was saw/felt it do this weird humming vibration that started “dimming” everything for a split moment but didn’t fully power off or cause my computer to reset.
However, I did notice immediately that my Bitdefender VPN Connection had been lost so I figured the voltage drop must have hit my router/gateway and dropped internet connectivity or active session.
(NOTE: I do have the ‘Internet Kill-Switch’ option active & enabled at all times)
Then, while I was waiting for my Internet to come back up for the next minute or so, Bitdefender started popping up these alerts that a ‘Suspicious connection was blocked’, because “Firefox attempted to establish a connection with an untrusted certificate to mozilla[.]cloudflare-dns[.]com …“
And 3-4 more alerts came through back to back so I pulled the NIC cable from my PC out of caution mixed in with just a slight pinch of panic - all that being said, I looked through any logs I could find and did come across this in Event Viewer:
&&&
My bigger concern or worry if this is indeed not a false-positive or just some type of bug; then why didn’t the VPN Kill-Switch do its thing and sinkhole my traffic until it was reconnected again? (Remember, at this point I saw the VPN App got disconnected and it hadn’t reconnected yet)
TL;DR - could these be just false-positives? Potentially being related or caused by this rather unusual power fluctuation event? Or what other details/logs can I provide or help pull if this does warrant further investigation?
Thanks in advance for anyone who has the patience for reading my non-sense and wish to help 🙏