Search Advisor V Antiphishing Toolbar

What does search advisor do that the antiphishing toolbar doesn't?

And, would the antiphishing toolbar continue to work if i disable search advisor?

[Google is now so slow as to be almost useless - always waiting on a bitdefender image which I guess is the tick mark provided by search advisor]

Comments

• They are similar. By definition:

"Search Advisor ensures that all search results are filtered for phishing attempts." The key term being "search results." Search results from search engines like Google, Bing, Yahoo, etc. BD will check each search result displayed against its phishing website list and let you know if the site is a known phishing website before you click on the link to go to that website. Its up to you to decide if you want to follow BD's warning and not click on a suspected link show in the search engine's results.

"The Antiphishing module ensures that all pages are checked for phishing before they are loaded in your browser." If you have arrived at a website through means other than a search engine (following links from one website to another), BD will check each page before it is loaded.

Personally, I have Search Advisor turned off and Antiphishing turned on. Its up to you to balance security with speed.

Hope that helps a little,

Gary

• Hello Mundivagante,

First of all allow me to thank Gary for his answer, I couldn't have said it better myself ;)

Further to your query please open BitDefender and go to the Antivirus tab in Expert View (change the GUI from the Options button). There click on the Custom Level button and uncheck Scan web (HTTP) traffic.

Regarding the Search Advisor and Antiphishing you can keep the Search advisor off if you wish, however keep the Antiphishing enabled to protect you from any possible phishing websites.

Regards,

• columbo
    columbo
    edited September 2010
    They are similar. By definition:

Personally, I have Search Advisor turned off and Antiphishing turned on. Its up to you to balance security with speed.

Hope that helps a little,

Gary

This too is how I have my BD Pro set up. I don't do allot of general web searches for say Boats, in which case it does take BD a couple seconds to load the green or red safety orbs, but for the security I can wait. My main concern is for Phishing and web page redirection scams (identity theft) that BD does an excellent job on. Like Gary put so well in his excellent post (#2), I too can wait a second for security sake. Their Antiphishing has really received some nice reviews, especially from PCmagazines Neil J. Rubenking. The below links and photos are taken from his excellent security review:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2367875,00.asp

BPAntiphishing.jpg

http://www.pcmag.com/image_popup/0,1871,iid=266834,00.asp

BDProAntiphishing.jpg

• I'm not trying to start an argument here, but it looks like (at least in Neil's opinion) there is room for improvement - "Mediocre results in malware blocking and removal tests." <_<

I have no plans to switch from BDAV Pro 2011. :)

• columbo
    columbo
    edited September 2010

Yes, you read it :) and that's why I steered towards the Antiphishing being more important to me. To have a back up On Demand scanner like SuperAntispyware (non-real time) for a second opinion would cover that base, but I know what you mean. :mellow:

Gary, do you know if there are compatible AntiSpyware software that can be run in real time with BD Pro, or should I start a thread (do a search here) for that?

Thanks, Scott

• Yet it does have very good detection rates: (only a couple hit 99%)

Detection Rates from On Demand Detection Feb 2010 taken from AV-Comparatives.org

detectionrates.jpg

• Gary, do you know if there are compatible AntiSpyware software that can be run in real time with BD Pro, or should I start a thread (do a search here) for that?

Thanks, Scott

Scott - no, I don't know. That's something I've never investigated.

I do use the mvps hosts file as another layer of security: http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

• columbo
    columbo
    edited September 2010

Interesting, I've never seen that before. Thanks Gary :)

Sorry about my taking up so much of your thread mundivagante, hopefully a couple things I posted could help with your specific question, but Gary hit it out of the ballpark with post #2 :)