Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Internet Traffic Buffering

Options

Whenever I download an application, Bitdefender Internet Security 2011 scans the entire file before the download/save dialog appears. Sometimes I cancel the download midway and close the browser. But Bitdefender continues to buffer (download) the file in the background. As a result my connection speed gets slow. I have to restart my PC to use internet again. Why Bitdefender does not recognize that the application (in this case browser) which has initiated the download process is closed and stop buffering. How to fix this? I don't want to turnoff http scanning. Will this be corrected in upcoming update? My OS is Vista 64 bit Home Premium.

Comments

• sm1
    Options

Internet traffic buffering happens for video streams too. If I happen to click a video which is lengthy, bitdefender buffers the stream in the background even though I closed the web page. This is wasting my bandwidth. Disabling http scanner makes no difference. I have to restart the system to use internet again :(

• We are currently investigating this situation and I'll get back here with an answer ASAP.

Thank you !

• bushpilot223
    edited November 2010
    Options

Hi Cristi,

Continuing from my post, I have 64 bit Windows 7 Ultimate and am running BitDefender Internet Security 2010.

It is very possible that my problem is a video buffering issue because I use YouTube a lot, but I don't see how it happens. If Firefox is closed, how does the video buffer? I checked the Processes menu and Firefox.exe was not running. On another note, BitDefender doesn't scan (or at least doesn't tell me) any files that I download via Firefox. Not sure about IE since I haven't used it in... I forget how long.

• sm1
    Options

Thanks for taking note Cristi. Hope the problem is fixed permanently so that I can use Bitdefender full time.

• Hi,

this is a problem when BitDefender receives an "BSTRAM_C". I used Audials for record webradio. Even when i closed Audials the streaming goes on. But only if BitDefender is installed. It seems as BitDefender don´t recognize that the streaming client has shut down. So BitDefender tries to cache the stream on and on.

Yours

Olli

post-62-1289741330_thumb.png

• bushpilot223
    edited November 2010
    Options

Yes,

If I start watching a YouTube video and close it before it's over, BitDefender will continue to render the rest of the video. This is very annoying, because if I close one video and open a new one, the new one won't render because all of my bandwidth is being hogged by BitDefender rendering the closed video.

• Hello,

Bushpilot: Please tell me if the issue persist after you complete the following steps:

- disable Antiphishing module from Antivirus tab

- disable AVC and IDS from Antivirus -> Advanced Settings button

- disable Firewall module

- disable Real Time Protection module (Antivirus)

- disable HTTP traffic scan from the Custom Level button

Let me know if any of the above steps resolve the issue.

• Disabling Anti-Phishing seems to have stopped the buffering issue.

• sm1
    Options

I have disabled anti spam, anti phishing, chat encryption, parental control, privacy control, AVC, IDS and http scanning. But I cannot solve the problem :(

• Unknown
    edited November 2010
    Options

Hi Sm1,

Please tell me when exactly or how exactly the issue can be reproduced. Take the steps again and then note them as a reply to this topic.

What application / Internet browser is causing the issue, what version of that browser, what Operating System, what websites etc ... any info you may useful.

• sm1
    Options

Hi DanyDan I am getting this issue while using firefox 3.6.12. My OS is vista 64 bit home premium. To reproduce this issue, open any youtube video which is over 14 minutes long, watch it for about 3 minutes in full screen mode and then exit full screen and close the web page or the browser but still bitdefender bufffers the video stream.

• Hi Sm1,

Lets try a workaround and see if the issue will persist:

Please restart the computer in Safe Mode and follow the steps below:

- For windows versions prior than vista:

Go to Start, Run.., at the run dialog box type "regedit", press Enter

- For vista and Windows 7:

Go to Start, type "regedit" in the windows search text field and press Enter

expand the following keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\BitDefender

rightclick on the rightside of the window and select New, then Multi-String value and name it "HttpAppSkip". Doubleclick on

the newly created key and paste this text in the Value data:

C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\Firefox.exe

Click on OK, close the Registry editor and restart the computer. Check if the problem will persist.

[How to restart in SAFE MODE With Networking]

- Restart the computer;

- Press the "F8" key several times before Microsoft Windows begins to load; you need to press "F8" until you will be displayed a text menu;

- Select "SAFE MODE With Networking" in the text menu and press "Enter"

- Wait while Windows loads in Safe Mode; this process ends with a confirmation message; click "OK" to acknowledge.

Let me know if the issue still occur.

• sm1
    Options

Hi DanyDan, your tweak worked. Now continuous buffering does not happen. I have applied this tweak for all my browsers. But this tweak also disabled web protection for the browsers. I hope bitdefender permanently fixes this problem as the tweak appears to be a temporary fix as it also disables web protection.

• Unknown
    edited November 2010
    Options

You disabled the scan of http traffic, however you have the Real Time Protection enabled and each file you will download will be scanned and blocked if any possible threats are found.

It is a workaround until the fix will be released. Glad I could help, if you need any further assistance please let me know.

For the other question I opened a new topic.

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=22677

Kind regards,

This discussion has been closed.