Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

[resolved] Bd2011 Firewall: Setting Zones

Options

Hi everyone,

Maybe someone can help me with this:

I've recently bought a mediaplayer which I use to play movies and music directly from my pc. It connects to my network via wireless router. When I turn it on, I can't connect to the pc until I've added it to the safe zone in the firewall. Setting it is easy enough, and it works just fine.

But when I turn the mediaplayer off, BitDefender "forgets" the ip address and so, every time I want to use the mediaplayer, I always have to add it to the zone again.

Is there a way to make the firewall always keep the mediaplayer in the zone (its IP address, that is) even when it's turned off?

Thanks!

Comments

• What you can try to add the software as an exception into:

- Antivirus - > Exceptions

- Antivirus -> Advanced Settings -> AVC

- Firewall -> Programs

You need to add the EXE file of the software. If you need any further assistance on how to do that please let me know. You can always consult the Offline Manual for BitDefender stored in your PC at the following location (default installation location of BitDefender considered on C drive).

C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2011\Support\offlinemanual\html

Kind regards,

• alt1579
    edited November 2010
    Options
    What you can try to add the software as an exception into:

Hello Daniel,

Thanks for your assistance.

I'm afraid this will not work, because the Mediaplayer I'm talking about is not software. It's an actual device that connects to my home network. When I turn it on, my router gives it an ip address (which is always the same ip address). It is this ip address that I must add to the firewall Network Zone in order to give the mediaplayer access to my shared folders.

Please see offline manual page: C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2011\support\offlinemanual\html\firewall.network.zones.html

When I turn the mediaplayer off, the device drops connection to the network. BitDefender drops the ip address from the Network Zone.

I want BitDefender to keep the network zone settings, even when the device is not switched on.

• Please provide me with the following screenshot:

- open BitDefender Security Center

- switch to "Expert View" from the "Options" button

- go to "Firewall" tab

- go to "Network" tab

- make a screenshot of that module

• Hello Daniel,

Please find the screenshots attached to this message. I have made two screenshots. One shows the Network module when I have the Mediaplayer turned on, and the other one shows the same module when the Mediaplayer is switched off.

Thank you for your assistance!

Regards,

Sander

post-30942-1291054702_thumb.jpg

post-30942-1291054744_thumb.jpg

• Hi,

Please make the following settings to the Firewall -> Network tab:

- set the Network Type to: Home/Office

- set the Stealth to: Off

- set the Generic to: Yes

Test to see if the issue still occur and let me know.

• Fixed!

Here is what I did wrong:

When I turn on the mediaplayer, it is discovered by the firewall. Next, I allowed it access.

Apparently when you do it this way, as soon as the device is turned off, the firewall cannot discover it anymore and drops the ip address from the list.

What I did this time was:

With the device turned off, open the firewall and manually type the ip address in the zone list and allow.

When the device is turned on, the firewall will automatically allow it because it already knows the ip address.

The firewall will keep the ip address in the list now, wether the device is on or off.

Thank you Daniel, your tip to change the firewall settings helped me find this solution.

I have restored my firewall settings to their original values for best protection.

Regards,

Sander

• Hey Sander,

Glad to see the issue is now resolved. I was sure it will work :P

Have a great week and feel free to contact us with any further queries you may have.

Case resolved, topic closed.

Best regards,

This discussion has been closed.