[resolved] Bsod After Installing Internet Security

Hi,

I have been using Bitdefender since 2008 version and has been happy with it.

I installed BD Internet Security 2011 on my new laptop and after the installation, I will get BSOD at the startup when my fingerprint software starts. I have tried the 2010 version and its the same results. I have since done a recovery in safe mode to resolve the issue.

From some researching, it seems that this is a known problem? Just hoping that there is a workaround to this issue.

Here are the details to the problem....

New Laptop: Fujitsu T4410 running on Windows 7 Pro 32-bit.

Processor: Intel® Core2 Duo CPU P7350 @ 2.00GHz

RAM: 4.00GB (2.93 GB Usable)

Previous AV: Norman Security Suite

Method of Uninstall: Control Panel > Add/Remove Program (Its stated in Norman Website that this is the same as download the uninstall tool.

Fingerprint Software: Softex OmniPass

Comments

• Hi there,

Is there any support I can get for this issue?

Been waiting for days....

• Follow the procedure below to have tech support investigate your problem further.

1. First please unplug the Internet cable from your computer or disable the Wireless adaptor if you are using one. This prevents the supporttools files from being automatically uploaded.

2. Click on Start and then choose My Computer/Computer.

3. Browse to:

C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2011

- considering that BitDefender was installed on the default C partition

4. Double-click on the supporttool.exe file - if you are using Vista or Windows 7, right-click on the supporttool application file and select Run as Administrator

5. Click on Next, wait a few minutes for the progress bar to complete and then click on Finish

6. A file will be created on your desktop. Please move it to a location of your choice (i.e. move it on your c:\ drive)

7. Reconnect your internet cable (only after you have moved the file to the new location)

8. Upload the created file HERE

9. Include a detailed description of the issue you are encountering and a screenshot of the error message, if there is one.

10. Send a PM (Private Message) with the download link to DanyDan of tech support. Include a link to this topic and give him as much detail as possible about your PC - exact symptoms, hardware (CPU type/speed, Memory installed, etc.), OS and version, 32-bit or 64-bit, any other security software installed or previously uninstalled. Any other relevant configuration information.

It may take several days for them to analyze the files and respond depending on their workload, so please be patient.

Regards,

• Hi Nikki,

Thanks for your reply.

I don't think I could pull that off as I currently do not have bitdefender installed in my system.

Once installed, it causes bluescreen with error from NDIS.SYS during bootup.

Please advise. Thanks

• Since you've uninstalled BD, you can use this standalone tool and submit log files to BD tech support for further investigation. Please follow this procedure:

1. Download this file: http://www.bitdefender.com/files/Knowledge...ile/sysdump.exe

2. Locate and open 'Sysdump.exe'

3. A command prompt window will appear on your screen. Please note that the information gathering process can take several minutes therefore please wait until the window disappear by itself.

4. The result will be the file called 'SYSDUMP.TAR' and will be located in the same folder where you ran sysdump.exe from.

5. When you have the sysdump.tar please upload it HERE

6. Send a PM (Private Message) with the download link to DanyDan of tech support. Include a link to this topic and give him as much detail as possible about your problem symptoms. Also provide any other relevant configuration information.

Depending on their workload, it may take several days for them to respond.

Regards,

• Hello,

Thank you for the logs. The analysis came with the following results (as expected):

1. you have another security solution installed on your PC:

- Norman Security Suite

Uninstall it using the tool below then restart the PC. Save the file then right click and select "Run As Administrator".

http://www.norman.com/support/support_issu...ive/67798/en-us

Then save the BitDefender uninstall tool. When the download is complete right click on the file and select "Run As Administrator". Restart the PC again when requested.

http://www.bitDefender.com/uninstall

Last but not least install BitDefender by downloading the installation kit according with the product you purchased. You can find the download links here:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=20566

Please confirm that the issue has been resolved.

Regards,

• Hi Dan,

I have followed your instructions for the installation process.

1) Uninstall Norman using the dl link you provided + reboot

2) Uninstall BD + reboot

3) Reinstall BD, was prompted that norman still exist and proceeded with uninstall + reboot

4) BD installer resumed, installation sucessful.

5) Rebooted my system and got the same BSOD at screen where my fingerprint software is running.

I have just recovered my system in safe mode and did another dump file.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ebnzpc

Do take a look and provide your advice on how to resolve this issue. Thanks!

Regards,

m3hm3h

• Hi Dan,

Any news yet?

Regards,

m3hm3h

• Hello,

Sorry for the delay, I'm in exams :blink:

It seems that Normal was not completely removed from your using just their uninstall tool. You will have to install any registry cleaner (such as CCleaner - http://download.piriform.com/ccsetup302.exe ). Once installed open the CCleaner and use it to clean your Windows Registry. Remove all invalid entries found without making a backup.

Do this cleaning after you uninstall BitDefender also to be certain that there will be no entries left from either Normal or BitDefender.

Once the cleaning is complete restart the PC and then proceed with the installation of BitDefender. You shouldn't get the same notification when installing saying that Normal Security is still installed. If you still get the message that means the Windows registry has issues that can't be resolved with a simple cleaner.

Also, after you make the cleaning, if the issue persist after you install BitDefender (the BSOD issue) let me know and I will contact you to try to resolve it together. Send me via PM a phone number where I can reach you if the BSOD still persist.

Regards,

• Hi Dan,

I just came in to say that I have solved this issue and has BD working fine for me now. :D

As per suspected, the BSOD was due to remmants of NSS still in my system.

I did some search online and finally tried a forceful uninstall tool which can supposedly perform clean uninstall of any program.

That did the job, after the uninstall, BD was installed and it worked!

Thanks for all the help though, and for delaying the issue as I was too busy.

Hope this helps other users who had the some problem as me. =)

Best Regards,

m3hm3h

• Hello,

Glad to see the issue is resolved. Please make sure that the BitDefender product updatetes daily, and in order to do this please right click on the BitDefender icon from the system tray and choose Update now.

Once the BitDefender product will ask you to restart the computer and the build version will change to: 14.0.29.354 (latest build) the issue should be fixed.

In order to make sure you have the latest build please right click on the BitDefender icon from the system tray, choose About and look at the Product Information.

We are very sorry for any inconvenience that we may have created and we rest at your disposal for further information. IF the issue persist please let me know as we will need to generate fresh logs.

Thank you for your support and patience.

Case resolved, topic closed.

Best regards,

This discussion has been closed.