Vsserv Unavailable And System Slow

1.) Deep System never completes. The last time, it ran for 2 hours and 2 minutes, then gave a VSSERV unavailable error. I have tried several times since upgrading a couple of weeks ago. I uninstalled 2010 and installed 2011. Quick Scan does run.

2) System periodically runs slow. Outlook, Excel IE and other apps issue a Not Responding message in the title bar. Many times they will not restart. PC locks up and I have to reboot. Sometimes I can get into the task manager and see th vsserv is running.

I have windows 7 ultimate, 4GB ram using 3.2 on a 32 bit system with 1.60Ghz.

I sent the support tools file to DanyD

I appreciate your help.

Paul

Comments

• 1.) Deep System never completes. The last time, it ran for 2 hours and 2 minutes, then gave a VSSERV unavailable error. I have tried several times since upgrading a couple of weeks ago. I uninstalled 2010 and installed 2011. Quick Scan does run.

2) System periodically runs slow. Outlook, Excel IE and other apps issue a Not Responding message in the title bar. Many times they will not restart. PC locks up and I have to reboot. Sometimes I can get into the task manager and see th vsserv is running.

I have windows 7 ultimate, 4GB ram using 3.2 on a 32 bit system with 1.60Ghz.

I sent the support tools file to DanyD

I appreciate your help.

Paul

This sound about right: http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=23434

• Hi Paul,

As I could not determined yet the cause of the issue you encounter I have created you a ticket and sent you instructions via email on how to further investigate this matter. Please check your email associated with your forum account and send me the requested info.

Thanks!

• Hi Paul,

As I could not determined yet the cause of the issue you encounter I have created you a ticket and sent you instructions via email on how to further investigate this matter. Please check your email associated with your forum account and send me the requested info.

Thanks!

Danny,

The AutoRuns tool http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902 is great. It provides so much more information and tools than MSCONFIG. I've sent you the information for analysis.

Thanks for your help.

Paul

• Hi Paul,

I have checked the logs you sent. I have noticed a Windows registry entry loading at Windows start-up:

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\AlternateShell

running the process cmd.exe (Windows Command Processor - Microsoft Corporation ) with the location C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe

I have created a ticket on your behalf, escalated to one of my colleagues from the Malware team and also sent you the instructions on how to start checking the PC for possible threats via email. Please reply with the logs you will generate and send them as a reply via email. My colleague Cristi Raducu will assist you further and, if we are virus-free then we will start troubleshooting the vsserv issue you encounter.

Ticket ID reopened: 201012311028157.

Best regards,

This discussion has been closed.