Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

[escalated]bitdefender 2012 Issues

Options

Ok, the final product has been released & i downloaded with full gusto.

But being a perfect antivirus, i thought to share my problems.

I'll mention them as shortly & precisely as possible:

1. the settings given in BD AV 2012 is far much less as compared to BD AV 2011 (i was searching for them frantically)

2. the memory load by this software on the system is a little bit high

3. whenever it removes a virus (either by scanning it manually or thru auto-protection), on my WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE SP1, it resets my FOLDER OPTIONS. i.e these options get unchecked automatically:

hide file extensions,

don't show hidden files, folders.

And no matter how hard i restore these settings, BD AV 2012 interferes with it.

I tried very hard, but couldn't figure out a solution for this. I tried other antiviruses, they didn't tend to interfere with my personal settings...

Comments

• Chimel
    Options

I am with Ahmed on this, I am totally freaked out by the massive changes between 2011 and 2012.

It seems like half the features have been removed from 2012, like the antiphishing and the scan scheduling, at least from the GUI.

There's now this big "auto-pilot" catch word that's supposed to make all the decisions for the user, but there is absolutely nothing in the software, or during setup, or on the web site, or on the product's fact sheet, that says what this frigging unadvertised new feature does exactly. Or "SafeGo."

Same for other feature changes, like the logs are apparently now called events. I don't mind changes, but you are making existing 2011 users' life miserable by not summarizing the changes so we can adapt.

I am not a control freak, but I like to understand what the software that runs on my computer does, so i can assess the security risks by myself. If "auto-pilot" takes the right decisions and does the right things, I'm fine with that, but why won't you tell us about it?

As for the automatic reversal of the Windows 7 Folder Options (item #3), I also noticed it with BDAV 2011 but didn't know at the time it was linked to BDAV. I almost never have viruses, so I didn't even think my recent unexplained folder options reversal could have been caused by BDAV. This is a very bad bug if Ahmed is right. I use the same Folder Options settings he does.

I don't have a memory problem (item #2) so far with the latest version.

BDAV 2012 (bdagent.exe) is usually under 1KB, sometimes temporarily peaking to 3KB while I am using the computer.

While I am at it, 3 other issues:

4) Some events such as "Media Autorun Issue" don't have any explanation in Events Details. Please review all possible events and make sure the customer can understand what's going on and how to fix it. It would be great also to be able to flag certain events as OK, so BDAV does not report them in the future. For instance, I am pretty sure this event is caused by a fixed USB drive I use for backups, it has an autorun (probably unnecessary) and a special icon in it for Windows Explorer. It should be easy for BDAV to store the parity checksum of the autorun and to ignore this drive (the drive letter is not even mentioned in the event!) until the checksum changes, or something.

5) There is a regression compared to BDAV 2011: The language packs in Windows 7 Ultimate are reported as "Other Windows Updates" with the message "It is strongly recommended to install them in order to have your system protected." This is total cow manure, language packs have nothing to do with security and most people install only a few language packs at most, they shouldn't have to install all 35 language packs just to please BDAV. Please be better integrated with Windows base features and ignore all language packs.

This recommendation message probably looks even more stupid on Vista Ultimate, where some of these "Windows Update" apps are poker games, not just language packs.

6) In Events, the button "Mark all as read" does nothing, my 3 events stay unread.

There will probably be other issues to report, I am too new to BDAV 2012, but first impressions are not so good so far. I like some of the simplifications, like the removal of the 3 different basic, intermediate and expert interfaces, the removal of the confusing 4-5 different scan tasks, or some of the changes, like the logs being made more visible, although they are now accessible only from the Home page, not any page. I am sure that I'll get used to some of the changes with time, but there is still this feeling that some tasks are missing and I have no clue if BDAV is really working on my security or just pretending to, wasting CPU cycles. I don't think this feeling will disappear with time if BitDefender does not explain what BDAV does, how it works and what these new features with weird names do.

• xero_fearstreet
    edited August 2011
    Options

Quoted by 'Chimel'

As for the automatic reversal of the Windows 7 Folder Options (item #3), I also noticed it with BDAV 2011 but didn't know at the time it was linked to BDAV. I almost never have viruses, so I didn't even think my recent unexplained folder options reversal could have been caused by BDAV. This is a very bad bug if Ahmed is right. I use the same Folder Options settings he does.

U R RIGHT CHIMEL, THIS SAME PROBLEM EXISTED IN bdav 2011. I ALSO MAILED THE BITDEFENDER GUYS HOPING THAT THEY WOULD AN ACTION, BUT ALL IN VAIN. NOW THIS SAME PROBLEM HAS BEEN CARRIED FORTH IN bdav 2012 ALSO.

5) There is a regression compared to BDAV 2011: The language packs in Windows 7 Ultimate are reported as "Other Windows Updates" with the message "It is strongly recommended to install them in order to have your system protected." This is total cow manure, language packs have nothing to do with security and most people install only a few language packs at most, they shouldn't have to install all 35 language packs just to please BDAV. Please be better integrated with Windows base features and ignore all language packs.

This recommendation message probably looks even more stupid on Vista Ultimate, where some of these "Windows Update" apps are poker games, not just language packs.

THIS PROBLEM NEVER OCCURED TO ME ANY NUMBER OF TIME I INSTALLED bdav 2012

6) In Events, the button "Mark all as read" does nothing, my 3 events stay unread.

I CHECKED THIS. IT WORKED FOR ME WHEN I CLICKED "mark all as read"

I KNOW THE INTERFACE ISSUE IS WORTH RECKONING BY THESE GUYS.

ONE MORE ISSUE I CAME ACROSS IS THAT bdav 2012 AUTOMATICALLY SCANS ANY USB DEVICE WHEN CONNECTED, WHILE IN bdav 2011, IT ALWAYS USED TO ASK BEFORE TAKING THE SAID ACTION.

WE USERS ARE NOT SO LAZY, THAT THESE PEOPLE HAVE DECIDED THAT ALL DECISIONS ARE TO BE PLACED IN THE (HANDS) OF THE ANTIVIRUS ITSELF.

THEY FORGOT THAT WE HUMANS POSSESS FAR GREATER INTELLIGENCE THAN THIS "PIECE OF WRITTEN CODES"...

• I found out what was wrong with the "Mark all as read" button:

It does work as it's supposed to, but the problem is that there is nothing to tell you if there are any unread events in the different tabs.

So when I tried to mark 3 events as read, it turned out that these 3 events were already read, or maybe didn't even count as events that could be marked as read or unread because all 3 were green or oranges, not red. So basically I was pressing that button and nothing happened. The 3 unread events reported by BDAV 2012 were in a different tab.

I think 1) the button should be grayed out if there are no unread event in a given tab, 2) each tab name should indicate the number of unread events, like "Virus Scan (3)," 3) All unread events should appear visibly different from read events, with a different color or a read/unread checkbox or something and 4) Each action should provide feedback to the user, a message "There are no unread events in this section" would have helped me figure out what was going on.

The new design is ridiculous, I still can't figure out from the logs if my system has been scanned at 100% over the successive passes at idle, or scanned at all, since the logs don't report scan events, only negative issues such as detected viruses. I don't even know what the auto pilot thing is, and if the scans happen automatically even in non auto pilot mode, or what the safego feature is either.

• I didn't have any unread event so I couldn't check, but I see now that my points #2 and #3 above are already taken care of.

I still would prefer if the "Mark all as read" button was grayed out according to context, because the bold font does not help if all events are already read (i.e. no bold event stands out.)

• I didn't have any unread event so I couldn't check, but I see now that my points #2 and #3 above are already taken care of.

I still would prefer if the "Mark all as read" button was grayed out according to context, because the bold font does not help if all events are already read (i.e. no bold event stands out.)

GOOD. lets see when these BD staffs will open their eyes to face the truth...

• Hello,

Allow me to comment on what you guys discussed here:

Ahmet: first of all, why do you use CAPS ? We are not blind. Please read the forum rules, there is a section explaining what you should and what you shouldn't do when posting.

Second, you said you wrote us. Can I have a ticket ID please ? I could only find one ticket associated with your email address and it's 1023 days old.

I understand that some of our users are more computer savvy then others however, most of our users are not on the same high level of knowledge regarding PCs and how to keep them safe as you are. They ask us the opposite of what you suggest: to have everything automatic and with no action on their behalf.

Regarding the folder options I will need a little more time to discuss it with the Dev however, I, personally, find this useful as most of the viruses are affecting these folder options. As soon as I will have all the details about it, I will share them with you.

On the point 1: the settings given in BD AV 2012 is far much less as compared to BD AV 2011

- what settings are you referring to?

On the point 2: the memory load by this software on the system is a little bit high - please define "high". What process are you referring to in particular ? VSSERV ?

On the point 5: I will escalate it to Dev. As soon as I will have an answer, I will post it here.

Hope I have covered all your questions, if not, please tell me :)

Best regards,

• Quote:first of all, why do you use CAPS ?

Reply: Sorry, I didn't know this rule. But I wrote in CAPS not to draw attention to my posts but to reply the user who has replied in my post.

Quote: Second, you said you wrote us. Can I have a ticket ID please ? I could only find one ticket associated with your email address and it's 1023 days old.

Reply: I've been testing your product since 2009, posting various fixes, tweaks & undetectable viruses. I'm amazed how you didn't get my other messages.

Quote: Regarding the folder options I will need a little more time to discuss it with the Dev however, I, personally, find this useful as most of the viruses are affecting these folder options. As soon as I will have all the details about it, I will share them with you.

Reply: This bug has been since BD AV 2011. I even wrote pointing out this bug, but no reply came. This problem still exists in v2011 & has been carried to v2012. And no, my PC is not infected with any folder options virus, for your kind information.

Quote: the settings given in BD AV 2012 is far much less as compared to BD AV 2011

- what settings are you referring to?

Reply: There are many. I'll start since you so kindly asked.

[1] 2011 - USB scanning used to ask for permission before starting to scan a removable media

2012 - Never asks for permission, straight away starts scanning

I'm pointing this out because of false-positives which would remove a user's file though it is legitimate

[2] 2011 - Under the update tab, it used to show the virus signature database

2012 - Virus signature database is only shown in the scan log file

Anyways, thanx for reading & listening.

Best regards,

AHMED BASHIR.

Have a nice day.

• Unknown
    edited August 2011
    Options

Hello Ahmed,

Writing an entire post in CAPS is considered offensive, not to mention my eyes :P

2nd: I have search for any tickets associated with the email address you also used to create the forum account. Maybe you wrote us from a different address ? If so, may I please have that email address ?

3rd: All of the above features / options missing from the 2012 version are already escalated to the Dev. Team:

- virus signatures;

- automatic USB scanning;

- the folder options being reset after each scan;

If you have any feature request please post them in the corresponding forum category. If you have any further issues please create a new topic in the forum category associated with the type of issue you encounter (Antivirus, Firewall, Update etc).

Best regards and thanks again for your time !

Yours,