Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Removing Bit Defender Scanner From Firefox 5.0.1

Options
pas
pas
edited August 2011 in Antivirus

Hi! I installed Bit Defender TS 2012 recently and I can't remove your scanner from my Firefox 5.0.1. Your plugin isn't visible in the plugins section or in the addons section.

From Privacy Control settings I have turned all features OFF (I don't need any of them). Still Bit Defender appends some javascript code to every page that I view.

<****** type='text/javascript' language='javascript'>

//<![CDATA[

var bd_nd_supervisor = true;

var bd_nd_issues_count = 0;

var bd_nd_untrusted = false;

var bd_nd_whitelist = false;

var bd_nd_statuses = new Array();

bd_nd_statuses["NetDefender.HTTP.Core"] = new Array();

bd_nd_statuses["NetDefender.HTTP.Core"]["NetDefender.Feature.HTTP.Core.Status"] = 0;

bd_nd_statuses["NetDefender.HTTP.Alert"] = new Array();

bd_nd_statuses["NetDefender.HTTP.AntiMalware"] = new Array();

bd_nd_statuses["NetDefender.HTTP.AntiMalware"]["NetDefender.Feature.HTTP.AntiMalware.ScanRequest"] = 0;

bd_nd_statuses["NetDefender.HTTP.AntiMalware"]["NetDefender.Feature.HTTP.AntiMalware.ScanResponse"] = 0;

bd_nd_statuses["NetDefender.HTTP.AntiMalware"]["NetDefender.Feature.HTTP.AntiMalware.ScanPOST"] = 0;

bd_nd_statuses["NetDefender.HTTP.AntiMalware"]["NetDefender.Feature.HTTP.AntiMalware.ScanIM"] = 0;

bd_nd_statuses["NetDefender.HTTP.AphParental"] = new Array();

bd_nd_statuses["NetDefender.HTTP.AphParental"]["NetDefender.Feature.HTTP.AphParental.Aph"] = 0;

bd_nd_statuses["NetDefender.HTTP.AphParental"]["NetDefender.Feature.HTTP.AphParental.Parental"] = 0;

bd_nd_statuses["NetDefender.HTTP.Chunked"] = new Array();

bd_nd_statuses["NetDefender.HTTP.Cloud"] = new Array();

bd_nd_statuses["NetDefender.HTTP.Cloud"]["NetDefender.Feature.HTTP.Cloud.Status"] = 1;

bd_nd_statuses["NetDefender.HTTP.Deflate"] = new Array();

bd_nd_statuses["NetDefender.HTTP.GZip"] = new Array();

bd_nd_statuses["NetDefender.HTTP.HTMLExtractor"] = new Array();

bd_nd_statuses["NetDefender.HTTP.HUI"] = new Array();

bd_nd_statuses["NetDefender.HTTP.LinkScanner"] = new Array();

bd_nd_statuses["NetDefender.HTTP.LinkScanner"]["NetDefender.Feature.HTTP.LinkScanner.Status"] = 0;

bd_nd_statuses["NetDefender.HTTP.Privacy"] = new Array();

bd_nd_statuses["NetDefender.HTTP.Privacy"]["NetDefender.Feature.HTTP.Privacy.Status"] = 1;

bd_nd_statuses["NetDefender.HTTP.Resource"] = new Array();

bd_nd_statuses["NetDefender.HTTP.Settings"] = new Array();

bd_nd_statuses["NetDefender.HTTP.WBList"] = new Array();

bd_nd_statuses["NetDefender.HTTP.WBList"]["NetDefender.Feature.HTTP.WhitelistBlacklist.Status"] = 1;

bd_nd_statuses["NetDefender.HTTP.WordFiltering"] = new Array();

bd_nd_statuses["NetDefender.HTTP.WordFiltering"]["NetDefender.Feature.HTTP.WordFiltering.Status"] = 1;

bd_nd_statuses["NetDefender.HTTP.ZLib"] = new Array();

//]]>

</******><****** type="text/javascript" language="javascript">

</******>

And windows in Bit Defender are too small and I should be able to resize them to make them larger or smaller if I want so like in every other program.

Comments

• AJUK
    Options

Hi, see my reply in this thread, it may help you.

• It also appends some css to end of the <head> element that contains css styling for the ugly bar and base64 encoded images that are used in bar.

Could someone from the support team kindly answer why BD2012 still append those lines to all html documents even when the settings are turned to OFF? Does the UI team and the NetDefender team have some issues with something called communication?

It is the most important thing when many developers are working on same project.

• It also appends some css to end of the <head> element that contains css styling for the ugly bar and base64 encoded images that are used in bar.

Could someone from the support team kindly answer why BD2012 still append those lines to all html documents even when the settings are turned to OFF? Does the UI team and the NetDefender team have some issues with something called communication?

It is the most important thing when many developers are working on same project.

An update to resolve this issue will be released as posted HERE.

Regards,

• Please check and let me know if the issue still persist. I can't reproduce it anymore after the today's product update.

Check this post:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=116972

Regards,

• Chimel
    edited August 2011
    Options

If you set your browser to remember and relaunch the tabs that were opened when the browser was closed, don't forget to reload all tabs to refresh the page and its HTML code.

Looks like it's working as it should on my side too, except for http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page from which the toolbar did not disappear ever after closing/restarting Firefox and force-reloading the page.

Edit: The toolbar disappeared from this page after 15 minutes or so.

I will also check if the toolbar reappears after meddling with the settings, which is a different issue.

By the way, I noticed that the toolbar is added only to http: pages. SSL pages (https: such as gmail) and other protocols such as file: (Bitdefender Antivirus Plus 2012 Help page for instance) don't have the toolbar, so expect to see some customers weirded out by the apparent randomness of this toolbar design.

• Chimel
    edited August 2011
    Options

Update: The toolbar reappears after reboot even though it's turned off.

Same problem as before. I turned a few Privacy Control|Antiphishing settings on in my BDAV Plus 2012 (leaving "Show Defender Toolbar" and Auto Pilot off, mind you) and rebooted.

The toolbar appeared on every single Firefox tabs after I rebooted, even the https: ones (gmail and Google Reader.)

That includes dailybooth.com, youtube.com, live.com (Hotmail), rlslog.com, hardocp.com, wikipedia.com, dictionary.com and even Google main search page or brand new tabs I opened after the reboot, such as fileserve.com. All these tabs have been reloaded to make sure there was no dependency on the previously saved Firefox session.

I don't know what was supposed to be fixed in today's update, but it still messes with the browser, adding toolbars to all pages when it should not, according to the settings.

Still, to mitigate the issue, if it behaves anything like before, I expect all these toolbars to disappear by themselves after a while. I'll update the thread later.

I attached a screenshot of the wikipedia page and a text file containing its source code (remove ".txt" and extract), you can see the BitDefender code all over the HEAD and BODY sections of the HTML page, making up 90% of the whole page :(. I wonder how that scales well with people who have 50 tabs open in their browser, as you frequently see in support forums.

Please shout if there's anything I can do to help you repro (and get rid of) the issue.

System: Windows 7 x64 Ultimate + SP1 and all updates, Firefox 5.0, BDAV Plus 2012 build 15.0.27.319.

post-30957-1313044357_thumb.png

/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=8140" data-fileid="8140" rel="">Wikipedia.zip.txt

• As expected, the toolbar disappeared from all tabs after a second reboot.

• I had to uninstall and reinstall BDAV to check the multiple shortcuts created on the Desktop and the Start menu.

It's now 2 days later, and after multiple reboots and closing/reopening Firefox, I still can't get rid of the toolbar.

It appears in every single non-https tab, basically all tabs except gmail and Google Reader.

I just switched Hotmail to SSL and the gray wart disappeared from this tab too.

I even uninstalled Firefox and installed the new 6.0 version which is already available on their FTP server, but the toolbar stayed on all http pages.

• Since the toolbar would not disappear after restarting Windows or Firefox several times, I tried one last trick:

I re-enabled the toolbar for a few minutes, then disabled it again.

And sure enough, the toolbar disappeared from every single Firefox tab.

I don't know if it disappeared instantly or after a delay or reloading the tabs or closing/opening Firefox, but the toolbar was gone from all 20+ tabs when I checked a few hours after enabling/disabling it.

So according to this behavior, it looks like there are 2 issues:

1) When the toolbar is disabled, sometimes it does not take effect.

2) Bitdefender does not care what the actual toolbar setting is in the GUI, it seems to stick to some other memorized redundant (and incorrect) value of the setting every time Windows or Firefox is started. Or it has a problem reading this setting in some cases and reverts to the default setting (toolbar enabled.)

I don't know how else to explain the discrepancy between the toolbar setting in the Privacy|Antiphishing settings page (disabled) and the actual behavior in Firefox (enabled.) And it was a systematical issue too: I rebooted the computer and closed/reopened Firefox so many times, with always the same result (toolbar enabled while the setting said disabled.)

• Unknown
    edited August 2011
    Options

Hello,

Both issues are related and will consider them for the time being as a single bigger issue: the antiphishing toolbar is not always disabled in the browser after being turned off in the interface. Currently conducting some tests and will escalate it for resolution sometimes tomorrow.

Thank you for the latest post Chimel, your explanation was exactly what I needed to exactly understand the issue(s) :)

Regards,

• You're welcome. I'd rather stick with the latest version and make it work.

I also thought the issue could arise because I always change the toolbar setting while Firefox is running. That also includes when I just disabled/reenabled it, and I always restart Firefox and Windows if I see it does not work, so it's not systematical, but it could be that under some circumstances, BitDefender changes the value in the GUI without changing the actual setting.

By the way, I think that the option to disable the toolbar should also stop to insert code in all tabs.

Having the toolbar not visible anymore is great but it was only the surface of the iceberg.

In some web pages, the hui_ and nd_ CSS properties and ****** inside the head and body sections take up to 90% of the source code; i.e. it multiplies by 10 the size of some pages. Most pages are richer in content, so the proportion is lower, but it's still the same amount of code regardless. Reading the Firefox forums, I can tell you it is frequent to see users quoting having several dozens tabs open, for instance I recently saw 50 tabs (don't ask me why either! ;)

Bitdefender toolbar must then have a huge impact on page loading speed, and the toolbar may also be the cause of the delay in the appearance of the downloading window.

I don't know any, but I suppose some users have test cases for one purpose or another where they need the HTML source code to be as it was intended by the web designer, not hacked by BitDefender.

• I learn things I don't wish to learn about every day... :(

As I mentioned yesterday, I managed to get rid of the toolbar in Firefox 6 by enabling and disabling it, and reloading all tabs.

Today, I rebooted just now, and while everything was fine before the reboot, the toolbar reappeared in ALL my tabs except the https ones.

I didn't change any settings yesterday. I did enable/disable Game Mode once, but it didn't seem to affect the toolbar afterwards. It seems that rebooting the computer and the automatic launch of Bitdefender services and client is what causes the toolbar's reappearance even when disabled.

Hope there will be a solution soon, because I can't edit the toolbar settings every time I reboot.

I'll reboot in an hour or so without and with the Game Mode to see if I can repro systematically.

• Just rebooting the computer was enough to make the disabled toolbar appear on all tabs (except https) again.

I didn't even open BitDefender GUI or enable the game mode between the time I disabled the toolbar and the time I rebooted. Firefox displayed no toolbar before the reboot.

• Hi,

I've escalated the issue to the Dev. Team and a fix will be release soon. Furthermore I will soon post a workaround to disable the toolbar permanently without any impact on the PC nor on browsing security.

Thanks for the last info added, I do find it useful.

• Thanks for the workaround, I was dreading hacking the files in Program Files myself for the same purpose... ^-^

But if a real fix is coming soon, don't bother wasting your time with the workaround, we can survive a few days with the toolbar!

• bang
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Hi,

I've escalated the issue to the Dev. Team and a fix will be release soon. Furthermore I will soon post a workaround to disable the toolbar permanently without any impact on the PC nor on browsing security.

Thanks for the last info added, I do find it useful.

Has this Issue been solved yet ?

I'm a developer and I really don't need injected css's and javascript into my projects :/

My subscription has gone out and I will not renew it if there isn't a good solution to this problem ! Please respond :)

• Same problem here...and I'm a developer too. Also, my Opera browser is using more RAM than usual because of all that ****** and bar. I have the toolbar set OFF and autopilot on OFF too, but each time I restart the pc the bar turns back. I'm sick of this :| I think never is a good idea to release an antivirus when it's not working properly.

Any update for that update pre-released ?

• demlasjr
    edited September 2011
    Options

Nevermind....this is the most annoying, stupid, weakest and buggy antivirus from the earth. Back to ESET, Norton, Kaspersky, Microsoft Essential, EVEN avast which are 9999999999999999999999999 times better than this ######.

P.S: Please delete my account, I will never need it here again. And when I said "DELETE", I mean delete and no ban.

• Nevermind....this is the most annoying, stupid, weakest and buggy antivirus from the earth. Back to ESET, Norton, Kaspersky, Microsoft Essential, EVEN avast which are 9999999999999999999999999 times better than this ######.

P.S: Please delete my account, I will never need it here again. And when I said "DELETE", I mean delete and no ban.

Hello demlasjr,

If you are not happy with Bitdefender it does not mean to insult the bitdefender team. If you are a developer why don't you make an antivirus program. Every internet security has problems and you know this. It's better to shut up.

Moses

• Well it's a bit odd that it takes so long to solve this toolbar issues.

After every boot I have to manualy disable the toolbar to prevent BD from activating SA witch I don't want enabled.

A simple workaround could be to give us the opportunity to remove the toolbar from BD.

I could live with that.

It's very annoying it takes so long and no responses from BD.

It's known for weeks now...

I had this issue reported at support but they don't respond anymore after gining me a few standard supportdesk answers.

I would prefer to have my monye back and buy another tool.

But I get no sespond on that question too.

This is bad for the BD image.

• Well it's a bit odd that it takes so long to solve this toolbar issues.

After every boot I have to manualy disable the toolbar to prevent BD from activating SA witch I don't want enabled.

A simple workaround could be to give us the opportunity to remove the toolbar from BD.

I could live with that.

It's very annoying it takes so long and no responses from BD.

It's known for weeks now...

I had this issue reported at support but they don't respond anymore after gining me a few standard supportdesk answers.

I would prefer to have my monye back and buy another tool.

But I get no sespond on that question too.

This is bad for the BD image.

Agree. A response would be great!

• Has anything been done about this? I have disabled the toolbar (its not showing at least) but BD is still adding tons of CSS and JS to my pages. These things I am 100% sure are caused by BD.

Other things that I believe are related to this:

BD is not allowing GZIP compression on pages (anyone wondering why pages are loading slowly?)

BD is causing errors when using google toolbar in IE9 http://www.google.com/B1D671CF-E532-4481-9...s?0&0&0 This ****** is causing errors.

How do I turn this crap off? I'm shocked that BD would inject this junk into websites.

• no issue ?

I'm a french developper and Bitdefender is realy boring since this toolbar exist...

What can we do ?? <_<

• rootkit
    Options

Hello

Sorry for the delayed reply.

Let me know if this issue is reproducing with the latest product update:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?sho...st&p=125523

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry118945

Thank you.