Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Is Safepay Really Safe? A Possible Alarm Or Red Flag!

Options
bbriley42
edited July 2012 in Safepay

Hi Everyone. I HATE writing this, but I feel that I must raise a "red flag" about SafePay. Like some others, I have found SafePay so far a nuisance to use, mostly because I cannot access my password manager, LastPass, which I normally use to access my bank accounts. I suppose the idea is to minimize risks when using SafePay. In all events, I have stopped using SafePay for now because of the nuisance factor - and because of a very troubling event.

I want to report something potentially alarming (I am normally NOT paranoid about frauds). When I was trying to go back and forth between SafePay and my email program (which I couldn't do, without closing SafePay) to access a password clue sent me by the bank, I ended up closing SafePay several times because it started up every time I tried to go to my bank site. But on one occasion, when SafePay automatically opened (before I discovered how to stop that from happening), I found that the web address of a Romanian bank appeared in the address window of SafePay. How could that happen? I myself have never gone to the website of any foreign bank! It raised a question in my mind about the safety of SafePay itself - is it possible that in its core, there is a secret link to a Romanian bank that we users don't know about? And perhaps the SafePay interface contains a keylogger?

This is not a direct accusation; that would be unfair. It is indeed hard to imagine that BitDefender has built something nefarious into SafePay - but stranger things have happened, especially when people are quite desperate for money to keep a business going during hard times like these. I am only writing this to raise a red flag about SafePay. I don't have a photographic memory, or I'd give you the URL of that Romanian bank - but I can honestly say that the URL included the word "bank" and the URL ended in .ro, which is, I am pretty sure, the domain ending for Romanian businesses.

My apologies to BitDefender if I raise uncomfortable and unfair questions; I hate raising these questons! I only want to be sure that all SafePay users are completely safe in using it!

Comments

• stagedoor
    edited July 2012
    Options

Like BobR42 I have also been using Safepay whilst Trusteer Rapport is in conflict with BD2013 - and I too have a sudden switch of website to something I did not recognise. I immediately terminated the program so (again like Bob) cannot confirm details. In my case I was connected to my bank and accidentally pressed one of the lower right keys between AltGr and the return key on my keypad. Immediately went to a grey background with white text screen which did NOT appear to be my bank - nor did seem to to be program text.

• columbo
    Options

Interesting Bob...yikes :huh: Let's hope there is a simple answer for that one, as for now, that is a little disconcerting.

• ozziebear
    ozziebear ✭✭✭
    Options

Although I haven't encountered this problem myself, it is as Columbo says, 'disconcerting'. I would like to see Christian post an immediate reply to this.

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    Options

Hello :)

Sorry for the delayed reply.

I can explain the phenomenon with some custom settings. Bob, do you have the standard DNS servers provided by the ISP or some custom ones like Google DNS or Open DNS?

I think that bank has a localization website in Romania too and you just got redirected there. We don't have an URL database to redirect users to the appropriate website and Safepay doesn't have this function implemented for security reasons.

Can you please tell me the name of your bank?

Thank you!