Wrong Location

Hi...When I go to the Anti theft module in My Bitdefender, it is showing me a location about 10 miles from my house. Why is it showing me this location? Why is it showing me any location? Does this feature not have to be enabled? I have no devices. Only my desktop computer.

Comments

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭

Hello :)

Thank you for your feedback!

Do you use a wired or a wireless connection?

I need this information so I can answer to your question.

Take care.

• ozziebear
    ozziebear ✭✭✭

Thank you for your feedback!

Do you use a wired or a wireless connection?

I need this information so I can answer to your question.

Take care.

Hi...I have a wired connection.

• FrankieNYC
    edited July 2012

Hello, I am in the same situation. Have a wired connection thru a router, with only the one PC on. And the LOCATE button goes to Acquiring and does NOT change my location to my correct position. As BD's firewall should be on. Just in case I checked to make sure "Windows Firewall wasn't still on" It's not.

Thanks for any help.

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    edited July 2012

With a wired connection it's a little bit tricky because the ISP is involved in this situation. For some customers(especially those that have a static IP), the ISP usually displays the location information(street, number, etc). For others, it will display a generic location, like the location of the data center or the main road(that could have miles).

We are working now to implement a new way to discover and interrogate IPs in cloud and the provided information will more accurate.

@ ANIMENIAC

Only Bitdefender Internet Security and Total Security have a firewall module.

Did you install the product using these instructions?

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?act...f=312&id=53

Thank you!

• ozziebear
    ozziebear ✭✭✭

With a wired connection it's a little bit tricky because the ISP is involved in this situation. For some customers(especially those that have a static IP), the ISP usually displays the location information(street, number, etc). For others, it will display a generic location, like the location of the data center or the main road(that could have miles).

We are working now to implement a new way to discover and interrogate IPs in cloud and the provided information will more accurate.

@ ANIMENIAC

Thank you!

OK thanks for the info Christian.

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭

You are most welcome!

Let me know if you have other questions.

Take care.

• FrankieNYC
    edited July 2012
    @ ANIMENIAC

Thanks Chris. It's Total Security I'm using. I've got more than the required specs (Alienware) Win7 Home Premium 64bit, 6gb ram, Core i7 920 2.67ghz, Geforce GTX670. Uninstalled McAfee and this is my first time using Bitdefender so no previous version was on this PC. I DO still have Malware Bytes Antimalware installed though when I installed Bitdefender it never even hiccuped any warnings about it's presence. I'd suspected what you mentioned about it maybe having to do with my ISP's (RR, TWC)office location or something showing up as my location. Would the location matter should my PC be stolen should I decide to WIPE or LOCK it remotely? The antitheft feature wasn't a HUGE feature for me anyway but nice to have. Thanks again for the help/info.

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    edited December 2012

The location will matter if the police can actually find that stolen PC. You can go and show them that your PC is at that address. But, if that connection won't allow localization, it won't help you so much.

For the remote commands to work, that PC has to be connected to the PC and Bitdefender running on it. If the bad guy will reinstall the operating system, you won't be able to send commands.

The remote commands are internet dependent and can be use no matter the location or if the information is 100% accurate.

As I mentioned earlier, we will release an update for Anti Theft and the localization via wired connection should be more accurate.

Thank you!

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    edited August 2012

A product update was released. Your build should be 16.18.0.1406(please right click on Bitdefender icon from system tray-near the clock-and choose "About". You should see in the left side the build number).

In order for the product update to be installed, you need to reboot your machine(you should see in the Events -> "Reboot required" under the Update module).

Changelog:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?sho...st&p=151654

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=35499

Let me know if the situation is partially solved(check my last post).

Have a nice day.

• FrankieNYC
    edited August 2012

Hi Chris,

Sorry I'm late with this, was away for several days.

The latest update (confirmed the build) did not fix the location problem. Ce La Vie.

On other notes, Since I've had troubles with apps refusing to launch since installing BDTS 2013, Firefox crashes etc. (which I've read about on these forums AFTER the fact) clashes with MBAM and various other things with this POS Alienware PC which gave me problems for a loooong time I've reinstalled Windows 7 last wednesday. And I've reinstalled BDTS 2013. (kinda stinks wasting 3 MBAM licenses)

Now....

In MYBitdefender I've got this PC listed twice in the Antitheft tab (one still says the same wrong location and the other says cannot find my mobile device on the map but gives about the same locale as the other dupe to the left) and in the DASHBOARD at the bottom (along with my Android phone [FREE) correct locale) In the DASHBOARD below the first duplicate instance shows in the INFO the Product Registration, full, quick scan and product update buttons and was last update on 8/1. with no issues etc. The 2nd duplicate shows none of those buttons in the INFO. How can I remove a duplicate and which one gets removed? Or just ignore it? Is it using up a license out of my 3? BTW, I will be using my other 2 licenses on another older PC (Win XP) and a laptop (Wifi, Win 7) and will update you here whether the locations are correct with them also.

THANKS for the help.

ANIMENIAC

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭

There is a subject about duplicate PCs over here:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=35560

The location is not displayed properly because the network configuration implemented by your ISP. Please read the explication in my last posts.

Have a great weekend!

• In my case, I tried to lock my device (laptop), but all it did was reboot.

And why is the send alert grayed out or unclickable?

Please advise!

Thanks!

• Hi Chris,

Sorry I'm late with this, was away for several days.

The latest update (confirmed the build) did not fix the location problem. Ce La Vie.

On other notes, Since I've had troubles with apps refusing to launch since installing BDTS 2013, Firefox crashes etc. (which I've read about on these forums AFTER the fact) clashes with MBAM and various other things with this POS Alienware PC which gave me problems for a loooong time I've reinstalled Windows 7 last wednesday. And I've reinstalled BDTS 2013. (kinda stinks wasting 3 MBAM licenses)

Now....

In MYBitdefender I've got this PC listed twice in the Antitheft tab (one still says the same wrong location and the other says cannot find my mobile device on the map but gives about the same locale as the other dupe to the left) and in the DASHBOARD at the bottom (along with my Android phone [FREE) correct locale) In the DASHBOARD below the first duplicate instance shows in the INFO the Product Registration, full, quick scan and product update buttons and was last update on 8/1. with no issues etc. The 2nd duplicate shows none of those buttons in the INFO. How can I remove a duplicate and which one gets removed? Or just ignore it? Is it using up a license out of my 3? BTW, I will be using my other 2 licenses on another older PC (Win XP) and a laptop (Wifi, Win 7) and will update you here whether the locations are correct with them also.

THANKS for the help.

ANIMENIAC

Ok, now I've installed on a 2nd PC with the location only showing as KINGS NY (not an address) which is the correct borough of NYC as opposed to QUEENS as the first PC (probably the cable office). But if I'm on a router why is one location more correct or close to my location that the other?

• In my case, I tried to lock my device (laptop), but all it did was reboot.

And why is the send alert grayed out or unclickable?

Please advise!

Thanks!

I found the solution to my little problem. I did not realize that you have to install the anti theft separately, and when I did, it did what its suppose to do. Anyhow, why is the alert button still inactive/grayed out? Is there any video demonstration on how anti theft works?

I'm also experiencing the location issue, either thru wired or wireless and I have the latest build.

Thanks!

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭

Regarding the localization issue, please read the above posted, I have explained this for ozziebear.

The alert button is only available for Bitdefender Anti-Theft software designed for Android devices.

There is a KB article about Anti-Theft over here:

http://www.bitdefender.com/support/How-to-...atures-924.html

Take care.

• Hi...When I go to the Anti theft module in My Bitdefender, it is showing me a location about 10 miles from my house. Why is it showing me this location? Why is it showing me any location? Does this feature not have to be enabled? I have no devices. Only my desktop computer.
  • Hi...When I go to the Anti theft module in My Bitdefender, it is showing me a location about 10 miles from my house. Why is it showing me this location? Why is it showing me any location? Does this feature not have to be enabled? I have no devices. Only my desktop computer.

• I have just set up two machines on the same router. The location shown against the wired one is a mile out, the location of the wireless one (remember, same router) is spot on.

Both are using the same external IP address.

If the ISP is providing the location how can this be?