Compatability With Malawarebytes

I have just purchased Bitdefender Anti Virus Plus 2013, I already have Malawarebytes installed on my computer, will the 2 programs run compatible??

I am running Windows 7.

Comments

• columbo
    columbo
    edited August 2012

Hi aussiejohn, and welcome :)

As long as you're using the free version of Malwarebytes, and not the pro, "real time" version, with the 2013 version of Bitdefender, you will be fine.

If you have yet to install Bitdefender, I would uninstall Malwarebytes, install Bitdefender, then install Malwarebytes. Unless of course you were able to install Bitdefender after Malwarebytes. (I haven't tried it that way yet)

Here is the official declaration of their compatibility: http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=151353

Hope this helped :)

Columbo

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭

Hello :)

Since we launched Bitdefender 2013, we removed "detection" for MalwareBytes from our installer.

aussiejohn, all you have to do is to make sure MalwareBytes has the protection turned off and when you want to scan the system with it, we recommend you to temporary turn off the On Access module from Bitdefender.

Take care.

• Two good bits of information, thank you Christian :)

• Thanks Christian, I have the Pro version but I have disabled the Real Time Protection!

Since we launched Bitdefender 2013, we removed "detection" for MalwareBytes from our installer.

aussiejohn, all you have to do is to make sure MalwareBytes has the protection turned off and when you want to scan the system with it, we recommend you to temporary turn off the On Access module from Bitdefender.

Take care.

• columbo
    columbo
    edited August 2012

With the Pro version, even with the Real time Protection turned off, it may have some background running processes that could conflict?

Christian can follow up with you on any thoughts he may have as far as that's concerned.

Cheers :)

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    edited August 2012

In Bitdefender 2013, we implemented some general exclusions for the Free version of MalwareBytes and the 2 products should run just fine together.

Have a great weekend!

• I have Malwarebytes Pro on my computers and recently removed Norton Internet Security and installed Bitdefender Internet Security 2013. The install went fine and Bitdefender seems to be working well, but my computers are freezing and need to be rebooted often. What settings should I change? I would prefer to keep both programs.

• columbo
    columbo
    edited March 2013

Hi gscan, and welcome :)

With the Pro version of MB, I don't think you will be able to get it to play at all nicely with Bitdefender. It was an issue in just getting it to be stable with the free version, let alone with another background scanner, as your PC is now telling you. Bitdefender doesn't get along with scanning competition, let alone any leftover previous AV solutions that may not have been totally cleaned up: http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=180020

You really need to uninstall the Pro version of MB, and reinstall the free version (I don't know if all the background running processes stop by just disabling them in the Pro version?), and only use it on demand for a second opinion scan, disabling Bitdefender's AV only during that scan: http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=151353

It's a good news (stable PC) bad news (unused Pro license) thing, but you will have excellent protection in Bitdefender, and your back up MB scans :)

Scott

• Hi gscan, and welcome :)

With the Pro version of MB, I don't think you will be able to get it to play at all nicely with Bitdefender. It was an issue in just getting it to be stable with the free version, let alone with another background scanner, as your PC is now telling you. Bitdefender doesn't get along with scanning competition, let alone any leftover previous AV solutions that may not have been totally cleaned up: http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=180020

You really need to uninstall the Pro version of MB, and reinstall the free version (I don't know if all the background running processes stop by just disabling them in the Pro version?), and only use it on demand for a second opinion scan, disabling Bitdefender's AV only during that scan: http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=151353

It's a good news (stable PC) bad news (unused Pro license) thing, but you will have excellent protection in Bitdefender, and your back up MB scans :)

Scott

• Thank you, Columbo. So far, no more problems!

• You're welcome, and glad to hear this. Thank you for considering the advice, and posting back with your results :)

• With the Pro version, even with the Real time Protection turned off, it may have some background running processes that could conflict?

Christian can follow up with you on any thoughts he may have as far as that's concerned.

Cheers :)

I have been using BD W8 Security with MBAM Pro, real-time protections. there are two, turned off. Even though real-time protecton in MBAM Pro is turned off the advantage of using Pro if you have already purchased it is that it will run schduled updates and scheduled scans as a second opinion without conflicting with BD W8 Security. I have not yet entered any exclusions in either app for the other app though it would probably be a good idea to do so.

The advantages of running scheduled updates and scheduled scans should be obvious if the AV app is not a BD app.

They have been running together for about two months or so on one of my W8-Pro x64 computers and I have not noticed any problems thus far. However, like you said there still could be some conflicts in background running processes.

P.S. No noticed problems with BD AV Free and Malwarebytes Pro running real-time protection on my W7-SP1 x64 computer.

• daman1
    edited February 2014

Why cant they wright an exclusion in with BD for MBAM Pro? other AV have no issues with it ESET, Kaspersky for two,the purpose of MBAM IS for the real time protection and auto updates,useless to have it if not.

• Why cant they wright an exclusion in with BD for MBAM Pro? other AV have no issues with it ESET, Kaspersky for two,the purpose of MBAM IS for the real time protection and auto updates,useless to have it if not.

I am using Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.0.1.1004. I have been having problems with GMail being super slow to open emails. When I contacted Bitdefender Support for my Total Internet Security 2013 I received a message back after submitting a file they wanted to review saying I had Malwarebytes on my computer which is a conflict and sent me a file to remove it and hoped that would solve my problem. I question that after seeing all the post on the web but just in case I sent a tech request 2 days ago asking for info but no receipt yet. I will delete malwarebyes if necessary but prefer not to if their is a setting in either program. Any help or suggestion is apprecitated. Bottom line I hate to delete malwarebytes and hopefully it will help and go ahead and delete and gmail still slow.

• I am using Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.0.1.1004. I have been having problems with GMail being super slow to open emails. When I contacted Bitdefender Support for my Total Internet Security 2013 I received a message back after submitting a file they wanted to review saying I had Malwarebytes on my computer which is a conflict and sent me a file to remove it and hoped that would solve my problem. I question that after seeing all the post on the web but just in case I sent a tech request 2 days ago asking for info but no receipt yet. I will delete malwarebyes if necessary but prefer not to if their is a setting in either program. Any help or suggestion is apprecitated. Bottom line I hate to delete malwarebytes and hopefully it will help and go ahead and delete and gmail still slow.

I would avoid MBAM2 like the plague, it is seriously flawed and does not have good detection. The review at Softpedia was not good.

They have many issues to resolve, MBAM PRO installed but set NOT to start with Windows has been starting at random, the settings in the GUI and the taskbar menu are different. The program causes severe lag on opening programs and browsing sites.

Scheduled tasks/ actions are ignored, settings change at random.

I used to run MBAM1.75 and Bitdefender without any issues, but have now removed MBAM altogether. I tested MBAM 2 on a Win8 system that had no firewall or AV running, the issues and lag were still present.

My son runs Win7 64Bit, MBAM2 failed to see or find several pieces of common malware and 3 toolbars (basically PUP's) other products found and removed.

His AV failed, MBAM failed .......... changed his AV to Bitdefender Security 2014 and the same malware samples were prevented from accessing his system.