Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Rescue Mode Problem

Options
amitraina
edited September 2012 in Antivirus

today when i try to boot into rescue mode then it offer me four bitdefender selection .....almost 4 ......in four option i some works and other not....in this only option "four" works.. when it boot in rescue mode and when i try to scan then during loading of the engine it say can'nt load engine this error came when i try to boot in rescue mode these two problem i encounter during bott time...i attached the screenshot plz see it .....

Window 7 ultimate 64 bit.

3 gb ram

Bitdefender internet security 2013

build 16.21.0.1504.

Regards

Amit Raina

post-65050-1348125409_thumb.jpg

Comments

• Thanks for helping us fix this. Based on the attached screenshot we identified an issue that prevents RescueMode from loading engines on x64:

The RescueMode configuration is generated during installation of the Bitdefender product, and also each time you use the "Reboot in Rescue Mode" functionality. The configuration file had a problem that should be fixed in the latest update.

It would be useful to us to know if, after updating, this first problem is fixed (i.e. you can use the "Reboot in Rescue Mode" functionality and the engines are properly loaded, and file scanning works). If not, please post the contents of your latest "c:\bdr-cf..." file to help us identify the problem (the file should be hidden, you can use Tools->Folder Options->View->Show hidden files from explorer to access it).

• bogdanh
    edited September 2012
    Options

Regarding the second issue I see based on your screenshot, apparently when you uninstall Bitdefender, the Rescue Mode entry in the Tools Menu on the bottom is not removed. We are trying to reproduce this internally and will issue an update once we identify the cause.

To manually remove the left over entries from the Tools Menu, you can run these commands from an Administrator prompt:

bcdedit /delete {bdbdbd00-6057-11e0-a7f3-ce9adfd72001}

bcdedit /delete {bdbdbd00-6057-11e0-a7f3-ce9adfd72002}

bcdedit /delete {bdbdbd00-6057-11e0-a7f3-ce9adfd72003}

bcdedit /delete {bdbdbd00-6057-11e0-a7f3-ce9adfd72004}

• Regarding the second issue I see based on your screen-shot, apparently when you uninstall Bitdefender, the Rescue Mode entry in the Tools Menu on the bottom is not removed. We are trying to reproduce this internally and will issue an update once we identify the cause.

If you're comfortable with editing the boot entries, I can recommend EasyBCD to manually remove the left over entries from the Tools Menu.

If you prefer not to use EasyBCD, you can run these commands from an Administrator prompt:

bcdedit /delete {bdbdbd00-6057-11e0-a7f3-ce9adfd72001}

bcdedit /delete {bdbdbd00-6057-11e0-a7f3-ce9adfd72002}

bcdedit /delete {bdbdbd00-6057-11e0-a7f3-ce9adfd72003}

bcdedit /delete {bdbdbd00-6057-11e0-a7f3-ce9adfd72004}

Appear to have same issue/problem without an answer:

"I have tested the latest Rescue Mode version implemented in Bitdefender 2013 build 16.20 on several machines running Windows x64 and they all boot in this special environment.

Could you please repair the current version from your system?"

Have repaired and uninstalled/reinstalled BDIS 2013 with no positive results.

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry157525

Here is my screen shot with similar issues:

post-31073-1348583793_thumb.jpg

I can not figure out in EasyBCD how to remove the extra tools entry for Bitdefender ? What/where module to I use in EasyBCD to remove the tools entry for Bitdefender Rescue Mode ?

And...how will we know when the corrected update will be issued for the problem ?

Thanks...TiminAz

• I can not figure out in EasyBCD how to remove the extra tools entry for Bitdefender ? What/where module to I use in EasyBCD to remove the tools entry for Bitdefender Rescue Mode ?

I just installed EasyBCD and apparently it does only support changing the main boot entries, and not the tools menu.

To remove the tools entries, a single bcdedit command started from an Administrator prompt will be enough:

bcdedit /toolsdisplayorder {memdiag}

Here is a screenshot as an example. Initially there are 2 entries in the menu -- the {bdbdbd...} entry for RescueMode and {memdiag} for Windows Memory Diagnostic. After running the bcdedit command, the RescueMode entry is gone:

post-107707-1348586483_thumb.png

And...how will we know when the corrected update will be issued for the problem ?

Thanks...TiminAz

As mentioned above, the issue described as:

- clicking on "Reboot into Rescue Mode" from Windows-64bit results in a screen flash (while changing the video mode) and Rescue Mode doesn't continue starting

... has been reproduced internally and should be resolved after updating to 16.21. As the issue still reproduces for you (on 16.21), can you please post the contents of your c:\bdr-cf01 file ? (after enabling Tools->Folder Options->View->Show hidden files )

Thanks.

• trinaz
    edited September 2012
    Options
    I just installed EasyBCD and apparently it does only support changing the main boot entries, and not the tools menu.

To remove the tools entries, a single bcdedit command started from an Administrator prompt will be enough:

bcdedit /toolsdisplayorder {memdiag}

Here is a screenshot as an example. Initially there are 2 entries in the menu -- the {bdbdbd...} entry for RescueMode and {memdiag} for Windows Memory Diagnostic. After running the bcdedit command, the RescueMode entry is gone:

Thanks...extra tools entry is gone...!...but rescue mode still fails to start...

post-31073-1348588574_thumb.jpg

Text of bdr-cf01:

hiddenmenu

timeout 0

title Bitdefender Rescue Mode - 1024x768x32

setvbe 0x118 || fallback --go 1

kernel /bdr-bz01 sys_dev=a1 bd_dev=a1 bd_dir=/Program_20_Files/Common_20_Files/Bitdefender/Bitdefender_20_Threat_20_Scanner bd_time=2012-09-25_01:34:58 lang=en_US data_driveid=44BBF448007E000000000000 bd_cfg= reboot=bios nozswap vga=792

initrd /bdr-im01.gz

title Bitdefender Rescue Mode - 1024x768x16

setvbe 0x117

kernel /bdr-bz01 sys_dev=a1 bd_dev=a1 bd_dir=/Program_20_Files/Common_20_Files/Bitdefender/Bitdefender_20_Threat_20_Scanner bd_time=2012-09-25_01:34:58 lang=en_US data_driveid=44BBF448007E000000000000 bd_cfg= reboot=bios nozswap vga=791

initrd /bdr-im01.gz

• The config file looks fine.

If the actual RescueMode files (bdr-im01.gz and bdr-bz01) are also in the root directory, I am guessing that video mode switching doesn't work. I'll try to find an NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT and test Rescue Mode startup on it. Thank you so far.

• The config file looks fine.

If the actual RescueMode files (bdr-im01.gz and bdr-bz01) are also in the root directory, I am guessing that video mode switching doesn't work. I'll try to find an NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT and test Rescue Mode startup on it. Thank you so far.

yep...both bdr-im01.gz and bdr-bz01 are in the c:\ root directory...along with bdr-ld01.mbr, bdr-ld01, bdr-cf01, & bdlog.txt. All dated created yesterday when I uninstalled/reinstalled BDIS2013.

post-31073-1348600487_thumb.jpg

I'm assuming you are saying the problem might be with the video card in the box not working with BDIS 2012 Rescue Mode ?

Will be locking forward to your findings on the NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT & Rescue Mode

TiminAz

• I'm assuming you are saying the problem might be with the video card in the box not working with BDIS 2012 Rescue Mode ?

Will be locking forward to your findings on the NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT & Rescue Mode

Found a DELL with NVIDIA 9500GT and Win7-64, but couldn't reproduce the issue. Did Rescue Mode work on this particular machine on previous Bitdefender versions ?

You mentioned 3/4 linux screens before the display goes blank. Since screenshots would be hard to shoot at the right time, a video recording with a phone would help, to capture any error messages that show up during startup, if possible.

Also, if it's just a video issue, just entering sudo reboot should restart the machine, even if there is no video output.

Thank you for investing time in helping us fix this.

• today when i try to boot into rescue mode then it offer me four bitdefender selection .....almost 4 ......

If anyone is having this problem, can you check that in this folder

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender Threat Scanner\bdrescue\data

there are only these 3 files ?:

- bdr-conf

- drivemaps.txt

- install-info.txt

install-info.txt is the relevant one, it should contain 4 C:\ (or the latest Rescue Mode entry suffix instead of "4").

• Found a DELL with NVIDIA 9500GT and Win7-64, but couldn't reproduce the issue. Did Rescue Mode work on this particular machine on previous Bitdefender versions ?

You mentioned 3/4 linux screens before the display goes blank. Since screenshots would be hard to shoot at the right time, a video recording with a phone would help, to capture any error messages that show up during startup, if possible.

Also, if it's just a video issue, just entering sudo reboot should restart the machine, even if there is no video output.

Thank you for investing time in helping us fix this.

Never did try rescue mode on this machine with BDIS2012....attached phone video of startup screens

/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=10436" data-fileid="10436" rel="">vid_00006.wmv

Curious...what is sudo reboot

Thanks...TiminAz

• If anyone is having this problem, can you check that in this folder

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender Threat Scanner\bdrescue\data

there are only these 3 files ?:

- bdr-conf

- drivemaps.txt

- install-info.txt

install-info.txt is the relevant one, it should contain 4 C:\ (or the latest Rescue Mode entry suffix instead of "4").

Folder results:

post-31073-1348764108_thumb.jpg

• Never did try rescue mode on this machine with BDIS2012....attached phone video of startup screens

Curious...what is sudo reboot

Looking at the startup video, it seems to be a driver issue (possibly video related). I have only seen this behavior on a machine with a boot infector (probably not the case here).

"sudo reboot" is a console command that will reboot RescueMode, if the GUI doesn't start. If you get a chance to try it, it would show whether it really is a video driver issue, or the system just hangs there.

Since people have asked for RAID disk support, better asian language support and other features, we are planning a general Rescue Mode update (drivers, UI) which will hopefully also fix the bug that reproduces on your machine. I'll send a notification on this thread once we release the update. Thanks again.

• Looking at the startup video, it seems to be a driver issue (possibly video related). I have only seen this behavior on a machine with a boot infector (probably not the case here).

Since people have asked for RAID disk support, better asian language support and other features, we are planning a general Rescue Mode update (drivers, UI) which will hopefully also fix the bug that reproduces on your machine. I'll send a notification on this thread once we release the update. Thanks again.

Hmm...RAID ??

I have a PCI card in the box to give me an additional Sata connection. It's a Jmicron JMB36X Controller. I am NOT using any type of RAID...at least on purpose.

post-31073-1348938400_thumb.jpg

However the following screen does appear in early boot up prior to the option to start RescuMode ?

post-31073-1348938400_thumb.jpg

Any possibility this is the culprit in my inability to launch RescueMode

post-31073-1348938904_thumb.jpg

• Any possibility this is the culprit in my inability to launch RescueMode

Update...Removed all drivers for this card (JMicron JMB36X Controller - PCI card adds 1 Sata & 1 IDE slot) via manufacture procedure and removed card from box.

Still have same error on Rescue Mode launch as in cell phone video in above post. Any idea on timing of next update addressing the 64bit Windows inability to run RescueMode ?

Thanks...TiminAz

• rootkit
    rootkit ✭✭✭
    Options

Hello :)

My colleagues are considering to change the Linux Distro that was used for Rescue Mode and the new one should support RAID, wireless network cards, etc.

Thank you in advanced for understanding.

Take care.

• Hello :)

My colleagues are considering to change the Linux Distro that was used for Rescue Mode and the new one should support RAID, wireless network cards, etc.

Thank you in advanced for understanding.

Take care.

Still no rescue mode...are they still considering...and any kind of eta ? I think I'm about 2/3-rds through my 2013 subscription without a fully functioning BDIS 2013 on both my 64 bit and 32 bit Windows 7 Pro machines ?? The only box that's running BDIS 2013 without issues is my XP Pro SP1 PC

TiminAz

• rootkit
    Options

Hello :)

After analyzing the information we received from you we concluded that the most convenient way to fix the issue you reported is to use the Repair feature from Bitdefender. Please follow the steps below in order to start the repairing process:

- Click on the START menu button;

- Go to (All) Programs -> Bitdefender 2013 -> choose "Repair or Remove";

- Follow the on-screen instructions and restart the computer each time you are requested to;

- Register and activate the product, then open Bitdefender and run a new update; reboot again if requested;

A product update was released and it will be installed on your machine in maximum 24 hours. Your build should be 16.25.0.1710 (please right click on Bitdefender icon from system tray-near the clock-and choose "About". You should see in the left side the build number).

In order for the product update to be installed, you need to reboot your machine(you should see in the Events -> "Reboot required" under the Update module).

Should you need any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Have a great day!

• trinaz
    edited March 2013
    Options

OK...now getting offers to upgrade to 2014 BDIS...but..I'm still waiting to get a functioning installation whit Rescue Mode actually working on my Win 7 Pro 64bit machine. Supposedly the Linux code was to be corrected/modified to enable rescue mod3ein the Win 64 bit systems...but still..almost a year after installing...my Win 7 Pro system, I can NOT boot to rescue mode ??

Here's a new screen shot with the error:

post-31073-1362718642_thumb.jpg

The file being referred to is bdr-7d01.exe (I think that's a 7 and not an l)

Am I missing something here or has the failure of BDIS 2013 to launch Rescue Mode in Win 64bit machines been solved ??

Thanks...TiminAz

• trinaz
    edited March 2013
    Options

Issue is the same and always causes PC to freeze after Rescue Mode chosen at boot. Current build 16.27.0.1763

Thanks...TiminAz

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭
    Options

Hello TiminAz,

We will contact you ASAP via Ticket ID: 201207191000843