Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Wells Fargo Bank Issue?

Options

I recently clean-installed (trial) BIS 2013 on my machine (MS Windows XP Home Edition 32-bit SP3). Safepay runs flawlessly on all financial sites so far except one. I notice that (USA based) Wells Fargo Bank's browser requirements might be causing the frequent crashes I am experiencing when I use the Safepay module?! It seems to work intermittently and transactions can be made sucessfully only about 30-40% of the time.

Is there anything I can do on my end to stabilize this? Do you foresee any chance of a possible "fix" in Safepay to allow smoother access to wellsfargo.com? Is this a Java issue that cannot be rectified?

Many Thanks and Best Wishes!

Happy Holidays.

Comments

• camarie
    camarie Principal Software Developer BD Staff
    Options
    I recently clean-installed (trial) BIS 2013 on my machine (MS Windows XP Home Edition 32-bit SP3). Safepay runs flawlessly on all financial sites so far except one. I notice that (USA based) Wells Fargo Bank's browser requirements might be causing the frequent crashes I am experiencing when I use the Safepay module?! It seems to work intermittently and transactions can be made sucessfully only about 30-40% of the time.

Is there anything I can do on my end to stabilize this? Do you foresee any chance of a possible "fix" in Safepay to allow smoother access to wellsfargo.com? Is this a Java issue that cannot be rectified?

Happy Holidays.

Let me reverify this with a test engineer. The frequent crashes may have nothing to do with Wells Fargo website by itself; we do have a reported issue on Windows XP, but unfortunately is inside an XP module not used directly by us.

By any chance, did you submitted one (or more) crash reports using our submit tool?

Regards,

Cristian

• Hi, Cristian. Thanks for responding!

Actually yes, lately the crashes have been intermittently occuring with ANY site...

Crashes usually happen at the instant when I click off the virtual keyboard -or- click a link within a page -or- click the upper-right x-off button.

And yes, most of the time I sent along the crash reports afterwards.

Thanks for the help.

• camarie
    Options
    Hi, Cristian. Thanks for responding!

Actually yes, lately the crashes have been intermittently occuring with ANY site...

Crashes usually happen at the instant when I click off the virtual keyboard -or- click a link within a page -or- click the upper-right x-off button.

And yes, most of the time I sent along the crash reports afterwards.

Thanks for the help.

I have asked a test engineer to try to reproduce. He managed to repro clicking continuously on the same link for nearly 20 minutes - which is quite insane to suppose in real life - but, anyways, the most likely culprit is happening inside a Windows system file (winhttp.dll). The issue is reported only on Windows XP.

Will try to escalate even more also to another team - while we are looking for a KB article from Microsoft that might help. Both Mozilla and Chrome have similar bugs reported with a similar behavior - as it sounds right now, it won't be easy.

I have assigned last week a colleague to handle this issue only. We are still gathering crash reports that may help us tracking down the issue and I hope to be able to come with a resolution in the near future.

About the crash when you click the virtual keyboard - this is new. Do you click on something special, click a key from virtual keyboard, or.. ? Any detail will help us understand what happens.

Regards,

Cristian

• Wow! Thanks so much for the help!

Just tried a session again. Sent in three crash reports - all Wells Fargo this time (no crashes on two other sites)...

1. X-off virtual keyboard - no problem. First page to come up after successful login was their credit offer page - instantly crashed (with absolutely no delay at all) when I clicked the "no thanks" button to decline the offer.

2. Instantly crashed when I hit the enter key on virtual keyboard when logging in.

3. Instantly crashed while clicking a regular banking navigation link within their site.

On two other occasions from that session just now there were no crash occurrences at all?! I did experience a crash several days ago when clicking the X-off button of the virtual keyboard to remove it after successfully logging in to Wells...

Regards, Cristian.

• camarie
    Options
    Wow! Thanks so much for the help!

Just tried a session again. Sent in three crash reports - all Wells Fargo this time (no crashes on two other sites)...

1. X-off virtual keyboard - no problem. First page to come up after successful login was their credit offer page - instantly crashed (with absolutely no delay at all) when I clicked the "no thanks" button to decline the offer.

2. Instantly crashed when I hit the enter key on virtual keyboard when logging in.

3. Instantly crashed while clicking a regular banking navigation link within their site.

On two other occasions from that session just now there were no crash occurrences at all?! I did experience a crash several days ago when clicking the X-off button of the virtual keyboard to remove it after successfully logging in to Wells...

Regards, Cristian.

I just send an email to QA team. A colleague of mine will investigate this and is possible that he (Andrei Burdun is his name) will also come back with a reply and perhaps ask for some more details.

Regards,

Cristian

• Thanks again, Cristian!

I sent along five or six new crash reports yesterday. Let me know if you or Andrei need data.

Regards.

• Hello,

As Cristian stated above, we are working on fixing the issue. Regarding the second scenario (Instantly crashed when I hit the enter key on virtual keyboard when logging in) could you please confirm that the issue is also present when you:

- enter your credentials then press the Enter key from your physical keyboard

- enter your credentials then press Login/Submit button from the the website

Your feedback will help us to isolate the usage of the virtual keyboard from the issue.

Thank you for your cooperation!

Andrei Burdun

QA Analyst for Safepay

• Hello & Thanks, Andrei!

Testing Sessions: around 1754 to 1827 GMT 10 Dec 2012

Results for Wells:

Way 1: (hit the enter key on virtual keyboard when logging in) = Crash after slight delay (reported)

Way 2: (enter your credentials then press the Enter key from your physical keyboard) = Crash after slight delay (reported)

Way 3: (enter your credentials then press Login/Submit button from the the website) = No Problems

Closed out and retested all 3 Wells scenarios = No Problems ???

Results for a different popular banking site:

Way 1: Crash (reported)

Way 2: No Problems

Way 3: Crash (reported)

As you can see, it is seemingly a random (but frequent) occurrence...

Also, I received a SafePay dialog box when accessing a popular health provider's secure website:

Saturday, Dec. 8, 2012 4:08am PST:

The security certificate for this page is not trusted.

Safepay attempted to connect to statse.webtrendslive.com, but the server certificate appears to be issued by an entity that is not trusted by your computer. Either the server has generated security credentials on its own (and we cannot rely on for identity information), or an outside attacker may be trying to tamper with your communications.

The following error(s) were encountered:

The server's certificate revocation mechanism is not available.

Best regards.

• Hello,

Thank you for your cooperation! As our initial analysis revealed, the usage of the virtual keyboard is not related to the main issue.

My colleagues are in the middle of an investigation - working on fixing the problem. As Cristian stated, the issue is likely happening inside a Windows system file (winhttp.dll) and more vendors encountered it.

Regarding your second question, could you please provide us with the full link you have accessed? One of the features of Safepay is to check the security certificates of websites and block traffic if they are not properly configured. Safepay can detect SSL configuration errors that are not always captured by other browsers.

Kind regards,

Andrei Burdun

• Hello & Thanks!

The link is here -- although login worked just now without receiving that dialog box. After login however, when a link was clicked it crashed and Sp closed itself. Report submitted.

Regards.

• Unknown
    edited December 2012
    Options

Hello,

https://healthy.kaiserpermanente.org is requesting data from https://https://statse.webtrendslive.com which, at that time, had issues with their security certificate - the server's certificate revocation mechanism was not available.

Safepay behaved correctly. It was https://statse.webtrendslive.com that was not configured properly. I see that now they fixed it and you can navigate on their website with no issues.

We will keep you posted about the fix for the crashes you are encountering.

Kind regards,

Andrei Burdun

• Thanks, Andrei!

Best Regards.

• camarie
    Options

Happy Holidays.

I am glad to tell you that the issue was fixed and we'll push it to the next update.

It was as I suspected a race condition in winhttp.dll (it called back code in one of our dlls *after* that was unloaded, hence the access violation crash), which our core HTTP team solved it by keeping our client dll in memory.

Andrei tested extensively the fix (using an automated ****** clicking on a link every 0.5 seconds for more than an hour) and the crash seems fixed.

Most likely the update will be done after the new year (sadly) since almost everyone is going in vacation now - until then we'll have to wait :(

Regards,

Cristian

• Thanks so much guys -- I'm really looking forward to it.

Happy Holidays to you, Andrei, & everyone! High Regards.

• Hello,

Just to let you know that the issue has been fixed and released in build version 16.26.0.1739 via live update.

Best regards!

Andrei Burdun

• Thanks, Andrei!

I tried S.p. immediately after the update. I've been on the Wells site three times yesterday and today with no problems at all! :)

I also visited one of my other bookmarked sites in S.p. that formerly had been unpredictable -- and it now navigates perfectly as well! B)

Thanks again for the fix, Andrei & Cristian.

Highest regards.