Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

How To Schedule A Scan

Options

I've just upgraded from BitDefender Internet Security 2010 to 2013. Previously, I was able to schedule full or quick scans weekly or monthly or however I wanted. I can't seem to find this in 2013. I see the "AutoScan" feature, but I can't seem to find out just how this works. I've tried reading through Support and the Forum, but obviously I'm not understanding something. Does the AutoScan do a full virus scan daily? Weekly? Or do I need to remember to do this myself each week? (Ah, the agony of learning new programs...)

Comments

• ozziebear
    Options
    I've just upgraded from BitDefender Internet Security 2010 to 2013. Previously, I was able to schedule full or quick scans weekly or monthly or however I wanted. I can't seem to find this in 2013. I see the "AutoScan" feature, but I can't seem to find out just how this works. I've tried reading through Support and the Forum, but obviously I'm not understanding something. Does the AutoScan do a full virus scan daily? Weekly? Or do I need to remember to do this myself each week? (Ah, the agony of learning new programs...)

Hi Betty, Unfortunatly, the ability to schedule scans was removed beginning with the 2012 version of Bitdefender I believe. It remains one of the most requested features but to this point it has not been reinstated. The Autoscan feature is a virus scanner which runs automatically in the background whenever computer resource usage is low enough to avoid interference with other activities on your computer. On my machine it seems to take 4 days to run through all the files.

• ozziebear
    Options
    Hi Betty, Unfortunatly, the ability to schedule scans was removed beginning with the 2012 version of Bitdefender I believe. It remains one of the most requested features but to this point it has not been reinstated. The Autoscan feature is a virus scanner which runs automatically in the background whenever computer resource usage is low enough to avoid interference with other activities on your computer. On my machine it seems to take 4 days to run through all the files.
  • coolcool1227
    Options

Automation of the product is not so much beneficial.

• coolcool1227
    Options

I have started a topic

Pros And Cons Of Autoscan And Scheduled Scan, Discussion

Post your views there.

• Thanks very much for responding. I kept looking through the "Help" subjects, but could not find out if I could schedule scans. Your answer about how the Autoscan works told me more than the Help screens.

I did do a full scan after installing BD Int Sec 2013. It took well over an hour, but I had expected that. It also slowed down the computer quite a lot, more so than Int Sec 2010.

Do you know: How often does the Autoscan run? Daily? Weekly? Or does it just start over after if finishes a scan? How can you tell when it's running? Will it let me know if something is found?

• ozziebear
    Options
    Thanks very much for responding. I kept looking through the "Help" subjects, but could not find out if I could schedule scans. Your answer about how the Autoscan works told me more than the Help screens.

I did do a full scan after installing BD Int Sec 2013. It took well over an hour, but I had expected that. It also slowed down the computer quite a lot, more so than Int Sec 2010.

Do you know: How often does the Autoscan run? Daily? Weekly? Or does it just start over after if finishes a scan? How can you tell when it's running? Will it let me know if something is found?

HI Betty, If Autoscan is switched on, then it will run whenever your computer is 'idle'. It is an incremental scan and will start over once it has checked the necessary files. You should see a confirmation that 'Autoscan Has Completed Successfully' under the Antivirus Events-Virus Scan tab. You will also be able to see a log of what was found during the scan. Bitdefender recommends running a more thorough full system scan at least once a month although, personally, I prefer to run one a little more frequently than that. Thats where the ability to schedule scans would come in handy. Hope this helps.

• ozziebear
    Options
    HI Betty, If Autoscan is switched on, then it will run whenever your computer is 'idle'. It is an incremental scan and will start over once it has checked the necessary files. You should see a confirmation that 'Autoscan Has Completed Successfully' under the Antivirus Events-Virus Scan tab. You will also be able to see a log of what was found during the scan. Bitdefender recommends running a more thorough full system scan at least once a month although, personally, I prefer to run one a little more frequently than that. Thats where the ability to schedule scans would come in handy. Hope this helps.

Betty there is also a pinned topic 'Bitdefender 2013 and Autoscan ', at the top of the Antivirus subforum which may clarify a few issues for you.

• I do thank you again. I saw this morning that the Antivirus had been completed today - and that was just 15 minutes after I booted. I thought that was a bit odd, since the scan too so much longer when I ran it manually. So yes, now I understand it's an incremental scan. It took me a few minutes, but I did find where to view the log. And I agree with you - a thorough scan should be done regularly. Once a week feels right to me. I will add that to my "task" list.

Thanks so much for your help. I often find that the "Help" screens don't. I also find it puzzling that companies like BitDefender (and Microsoft) remove features that people like. Maybe the folks at BitDefender will listen and add the scheduling feature in the next version.

HI Betty, If Autoscan is switched on, then it will run whenever your computer is 'idle'. It is an incremental scan and will start over once it has checked the necessary files. You should see a confirmation that 'Autoscan Has Completed Successfully' under the Antivirus Events-Virus Scan tab. You will also be able to see a log of what was found during the scan. Bitdefender recommends running a more thorough full system scan at least once a month although, personally, I prefer to run one a little more frequently than that. Thats where the ability to schedule scans would come in handy. Hope this helps

Betty there is also a pinned topic 'Bitdefender 2013 and Autoscan ', at the top of the Antivirus subforum which may clarify a few issues for you.

• ozziebear
    Options
    I do thank you again. I saw this morning that the Antivirus had been completed today - and that was just 15 minutes after I booted. I thought that was a bit odd, since the scan too so much longer when I ran it manually. So yes, now I understand it's an incremental scan. It took me a few minutes, but I did find where to view the log. And I agree with you - a thorough scan should be done regularly. Once a week feels right to me. I will add that to my "task" list.

Thanks so much for your help. I often find that the "Help" screens don't. I also find it puzzling that companies like BitDefender (and Microsoft) remove features that people like. Maybe the folks at BitDefender will listen and add the scheduling feature in the next version.

you are quite welcome.

• columbo
    Options
    I do thank you again. I saw this morning that the Antivirus had been completed today - and that was just 15 minutes after I booted. I thought that was a bit odd,........

.... Maybe the folks at BitDefender will listen and add the scheduling feature in the next version.

Hi Betty :)

That may not be in the cards for a future version, as that idea has been posted in the Feature Request forum:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=145313

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=32524

One of the requests that has received the greatest number of votes, has been this one, suggested by ONT: http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=35631

Cheers :)

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭
    edited March 2013
    Options

Thank you for helping Betty out.

Let me say that we are aware of our customers' repeated requests to implement again a Schedule Scan in Bitdefender, despite the Autoscan benefits. However, I can not guarantee that our developers will make it available in the upcoming Bitdefender 2014.

Once again, thank you for your constant feedback.

This discussion has been closed.