Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Autoscan Settings

Options

Hello,

I hope I didn't overlook a thread already covering this question: I'd like to know whether there is any possibility to change the Autoscan settings. When a Scan is finished, I can read the report which also quotes the search settings; I see that there is no scan for adware, spyware, applications, dialers, rootkits or keyloggers; also, registry keys, cookies, boot sectors, memory processes, runtime packers and e-mails aren't scanned. Is there a way of changing any of those settings or do I understand I will have to run a System Scan to get these things done?

Thanks in advance for your answer!

Comments

• Anyone there to answer my question please?

• columbo
    Options

Apologies for your wait, Marula25 :)

The Autoscan is a predetermined, preset scan by Bitdefender. To scan for the categories you mentioned above, you would need to do a System Scan, or create a Custom Scan, and set your own scan category priorities.

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?sho...c=35622&hl=

Hope this helped answer your question :)

Regards,

Columbo

• coolcool1227
    Options

If a user has to create Custom Scan Task, then what is the benefit of AutoScan? Actually AutoScan is the replacement of continuous Background Scanning and it has nothing in common with the Schedule Scan Tasks. And unfortunately since the release of 2012 version Bitdefender's developers eliminate many of the very basic features from the product therefore no settings available for AutoScan.

• Thanks for your answer Columbo, yes, that's what I wanted to know.

In my understanding Autoscan is then mainly a feature that helps keep scan times low for System Scans by continuously adding items to, or checking items from, the "whitelist"?

However, I think it's somewhat careless to give people the nice feeling that everything will be taken care of "on its own" but not explicitly mentioning that adware, spyware, rootkits, keyloggers etc. will not be scanned for and that registry keys and boot sectors are left entirely unscanned! As far as I have seen, that is not mentioned anywhere in the BD 2013 manual. On the contrary, although at the beginning of the chapter the user is advised to scan regularly, there is a suggestion to "run a System Scan once a week if Autoscan is turned OFF", suggesting that this won't be necessary as long as it's turned ON! That's really misleading...

I mean, now System Scans for the threats and of the locations mentioned above are essential for the protection of the PC, right? So the need to run them regularly should be proper highlighted AND people should be made aware that Autoscan will NOT do it!

Or am I getting this wrong?

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭
    Options

Hello Marula25,

It's important to know that the Autoscan has 2 types of scans:

- SweepScan (scans for rootkits, processes, registries, cookies)

- FileScan

The FileScan starts 4 days after installing Bitdefender (or after the scan status is updated – if another scan took place), the SweepScan after 7 days. Both scan types start 2 hours after vsserv.exe starts.

The scan status is updated if a complete SweepScan, FileScan, or SystemScan are done. This is why your Autoscan report didn't mention about adware, spyware, etc.

Please let me know if you have other concerns about your Bitdefender product. :)

• columbo
    columbo
    edited March 2013
    Options

Excellent follow up information, thank you, Georgia :)

• After looking at this issue here, and in similar threads, is this a correct statement of Bifdefender scheduling:

There is no option, within Bitdefender, for the user to schedule any type of scan.

Autoscan is predetermined in what it looks for, and picks the time it wants to start.

When autoscan runs it does not scan for malware, rootkits, etc. To scan for these, the user must do a system, or custom, scan that includes what the autoscan looks for, plus what autoscan misses, - the malware, rootkits, etc,

Each system and custom scan must be started manually, by the user.

The only way around manually starting a system or custom scan is to use the Windows 8 scheduler, and make a registry change.

If this is correct, buying Bitdefender was a big mistake. So, I hope to be wrong.

• kappy44
    Options

Hi,

I've just purchased Bitdefender total 2013. Is there a way that I can set up scheduled scans to run when I want them to?? Bit concerning also regarding antispyware scans as I've read above. Is there a way I can ensure these are scheduled as well.

I hope I'm not asking the same question here that is elsewhere in this forum.

:unsure:

Kappy