Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Decreasing Hdd Space By 10gb To Zero During System Scan

Options
Tripod74
edited January 2013 in Antivirus

Dear Experts,

I have selected Bitdefender for my new PC security product. After installing it I started to run a System Scan, scanning "everything".

The scan started but my PC dramatically slowed down, I can't even open a website, however, no significant CPU load (below 10-15%).

I tried to stop scanning but I required 2-3 minutes(!) :blink: to stop. In the meanwhile I recognised that I have 0 (zero) free space on my system SSD, however I had 10GB before. :huh:

Fortunately, it "restored" after some 5 minutes after stopping the scan. :huh:

I also recognised that it created a folder c:\Program Files\Common Files\Bitdefender. Its size also varies by a huge extent.

Why it is that? Is it a normal phenomenon to eat up disk space by that much? What shall I do? Is it better to reinstall it onto my HDD instead of my SSD, where there is much more free disk space?

SSD is much quiker, therefore I put Bitdefender there for the faster startup.

Thank you for your help indeed! :rolleyes:

I have Win7 64bit, 64GB SSD (10GB free), Core i5, 8GB RAM, 2TB HDD.

Comments

• coolcool1227
    Options

Try some folder size calculating software and check which folder has the greatest size. By the way the HDD reduces a lot during update.

• Tripod74
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Try some folder size calculating software and check which folder has the greatest size. By the way the HDD reduces a lot during update.

Thanks for the quick hint, your reply is appreciated. :rolleyes: Now it seems that c:\windows\temp\tmp* (for example: tmp0000584a) folder is created and its size increasing from zero to 10GB after 15-20 minutes after system scan started.

Is that normal? Thank you very much!

• coolcool1227
    Options

What are its contents...if possible attach the snapshot.

• What are its contents...if possible attach the snapshot.

Dear ONT,

Thank you for your care, sorry for my late reply.

Today I run a manual update before scanning, it downloaded, but asked for a system reboot, so probably a major change happened. Afterwards I tried to reporduce the test again, but now carefully monitoring the above TEMP folder and the total free space on my SSD.

I started with 10.4GB free space, while the size of the temp folder was 1.2GB. I have been running the system scan for 60+ minutes now, but the lowest free space I saw was 6.6GB, when the TEMP folder size grew to 3.4GB. The free space decreased by some 3.8GB, while the folder size grew by 2.2GB, so there is a 1.6GB "somewhere", that I don't know.

The TEMP folder contains 3-4 tmp000073f0 or similar folders like tmp0000????. In the folders there are 3-4 similar files like tmp000????? (only 3 zero, the rest is changing) with no extension. It seems that the temp file is created when large archive files are scanned, but I'm not sure.

Nevertheless, it seems that something has been fixed maybe by the upgrade(?), since my free space never declined by more than 4GB, mostly it was around -1GB only, which is acceptable. I don't have time to wait for the full time of the scan (it is 5+ hours) but in the past it ate my free full free space in 30 minutes, so I guess that it is fine now.

Hope it will stay like this, keep fingers crossed! Thanks for your help. Your comments are higly appreciated. :)

• coolcool1227
    Options

Disable all Cloud components in Bitdefender in all Modules and also disable "Send Anonymous User Reports" option.