Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

All Downloads Are Corrupt. Help To Test

Options

Hello,

we have a thread on the general forum:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=40187

After the new update of the product at least in my case the problem is not fixed, I try on all the cumputer I have access to, and the problem is the same on all of them so I think that this is a very common or general issue.

Could someone help me to test the problem, what I need to do is that someone download a file and check if the md5 hash is correct, for example an Ubuntu iso:

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

and then check the hash with the one of this page:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuHashes

Thanks.

Comments

• Hello,

I've downloaded "ubuntu-12.10-desktop-i386.iso" and checked it with "MD5 Checksum Calculator v 0.0.5.58".

The result was exactly the same with Ubuntu-Hashes page.

There is no problem here, with BD Win 8 Security.

Regards!

• Hello,

I've downloaded "ubuntu-12.10-desktop-i386.iso" and checked it with "MD5 Checksum Calculator v 0.0.5.58".

The result was exactly the same with Ubuntu-Hashes page.

There is no problem here, with BD Win 8 Security.

Regards!

Thanks for the info.

Seems that the problem is with Windows 7. More info:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?sho...40&start=40

Anyone with W7?

• columbo
    Options

Hi mrpolimero :)

Here's what I tried:

• Last night I uninstalled BD and downloaded the Ubuntu file 2 times in FF v.17 on an Ethernet connected PC (TP-Link router WRN1043ND) with Charter cables 30 Mb service, on a Windows 7 64-bit PC, with no corruptions.

• I then installed BD AV+, with Window Firewall enabled on the same PC above and downloaded it 2 times, using FF, and checked the files, with no corruptions.

• This morning I rechecked the file from last night, and was given 2 different MD5 Sums errors from the software itself? (see image below)

• I re-downloaded Ubuntu about 5-7 times this morning on the same desktop PC, and I had 2 corrupt versions, I believe one was in Chrome

(v. 24.0.xxx), and the other in FF.

This morning I thought I'd try my notebook running Window 7 64-bit with BD IS 2013, using my TP-Link wireless N set up (i.e. good speeds, no lags) had no corruptions at all using FF and Chrome. I probably tried about 6-8 times, no problems.

I then went to my Windows 8 Pro 64-bit partition of that notebook, running the BD W8 version, again with both FF and Chrome, no corruptions. I probably downloaded it and check it about 4-5 times.

Most of the times I tried to clear the history, cookies etc. or running CCleaner before downloading. This didn't seem to help or hurt as far as corruptions, as with the ones I forgot to do a clean up before downloading, they were not corrupted. I also deleted all downloaded files of Ububtu from the recycle bin before I started a new download (i.e. no 2nd, 3rd versions in My Downloads)

So, with the approx 25 times I downloaded and checked Ubuntu, I had 2 corruptions, and a "false positive" within the winMD5sum software itself. In the case of Ubuntu downloads, could it be more of an issue of the mirrors, and which one you end up getting your download from ( was from at least 3 different servers, i.e. schools) that is corrupting it?

post-4566-1359827070_thumb.jpg

• Hi mrpolimero :)

Here's what I tried:

• Last night I uninstalled BD and downloaded the Ubuntu file 2 times in FF v.17 on an Ethernet connected PC (TP-Link router WRN1043ND) with Charter cables 30 Mb service, on a Windows 7 64-bit PC, with no corruptions.

• I then installed BD AV+, with Window Firewall enabled on the same PC above and downloaded it 2 times, using FF, and checked the files, with no corruptions.

• This morning I rechecked the file from last night, and was given 2 different MD5 Sums errors from the software itself? (see image below)

• I re-downloaded Ubuntu about 5-7 times this morning on the same desktop PC, and I had 2 corrupt versions, I believe one was in Chrome

(v. 24.0.xxx), and the other in FF.

This morning I thought I'd try my notebook running Window 7 64-bit with BD IS 2013, using my TP-Link wireless N set up (i.e. good speeds, no lags) had no corruptions at all using FF and Chrome. I probably tried about 6-8 times, no problems.

I then went to my Windows 8 Pro 64-bit partition of that notebook, running the BD W8 version, again with both FF and Chrome, no corruptions. I probably downloaded it and check it about 4-5 times.

Most of the times I tried to clear the history, cookies etc. or running CCleaner before downloading. This didn't seem to help or hurt as far as corruptions, as with the ones I forgot to do a clean up before downloading, they were not corrupted. I also deleted all downloaded files of Ububtu from the recycle bin before I started a new download (i.e. no 2nd, 3rd versions in My Downloads)

So, with the approx 25 times I downloaded and checked Ubuntu, I had 2 corruptions, and a "false positive" within the winMD5sum software itself. In the case of Ubuntu downloads, could it be more of an issue of the mirrors, and which one you end up getting your download from ( was from at least 3 different servers, i.e. schools) that is corrupting it?

post-4566-1359827070_thumb.jpg

Many thanks for your test!

On my test with 6 different windows 7 computers I have the same problem:

Downloads with Google Chrome and BD 2013 installed: All files are corrupt (not an issue of download servers of Ubuntu, I have the same problem qith all the downloads, Ubuntu, Fedora, Microsoft, etc).

When I uninstall BD 2013 all the downloads with Google Chrome: Perfect, no corrupt downloads.

A german guy give some interesting info about this issue here:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?sho...st&p=174333

• columbo
    Options
    Many thanks for your test!

On my test with 6 different windows 7 computers I have the same problem:

Downloads with Google Chrome and BD 2013 installed: All files are corrupt (not an issue of download servers of Ubuntu, I have the same problem with all the downloads, Ubuntu, Fedora, Microsoft, etc).

When I uninstall BD 2013 all the downloads with Google Chrome: Perfect, no corrupt downloads.

A german guy give some interesting info about this issue here:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?sho...st&p=174333

You're welcome :)

The above highlighted, is pretty encompassing, you have really done your research. The link you provided seems like allot of hoops to jump through, just to secure a clean/full download :blink:

It would be interesting to see if it was an issue with the 2012 version of BD (not sure if this was an issue in that forum) as the keys are interchangeable in like kind, i.e. Security Suite for Security Suite, but that would be going backwards for something you paid for in a new and current version.

• You're welcome :)

The above highlighted, is pretty encompassing, you have really done your research. The link you provided seems like allot of hoops to jump through, just to secure a clean/full download :blink:

It would be interesting to see if it was an issue with the 2012 version of BD (not sure if this was an issue in that forum) as the keys are interchangeable in like kind, i.e. Security Suite for Security Suite, but that would be going backwards for something you paid for in a new and current version.

The problem is that support is not working as spected, this issue is open since 2 months ago and anyone of BD give a clue or help, probably they are working hard trying to find a fix, but the silence they have with this case make that I think that the people affected is working more on fixing the issue that BD.

The only real fix is to delete the dll that use traffic scan, even stopping trafficscan it corrupt the downloads, the only way to avoid the corrupt downloads is deleting that file or uninstalling the solution.

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭
    Options

Hello, this is a Microsoft bug which can be fixed by following the steps from their kb. There's a hotfix available for download on that page:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2789397

This discussion has been closed.