Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Safepay With Yahoo Toolbar

Options

Tried using safepay but only can use it by itself, it says yahoo toolbar won't accept it. So if I want to use safepay, I have to click on the icon and use it that way, won't work otherwise. How can I fix this?

Thanks,

George

Comments

• camarie
    camarie Principal Software Developer BD Staff
    Options
    Tried using safepay but only can use it by itself, it says yahoo toolbar won't accept it. So if I want to use safepay, I have to click on the icon and use it that way, won't work otherwise. How can I fix this?

Thanks,

George

You can use Safepay as long as there is no Internet Explorer (with Yahoo toolbar installed) running.

The story is this.

Safepay creates a secure desktop and runs inside it. Y! toolbar switches back to the default (original) desktop WITHOUT ASKING USER.

Yahoo toolbar thinks is more important than other software and switches back the user to present some coupons and other commercial "features".

We have contacted Yahoo and described the problem about 3-4 months ago, I think - needless to say, they ignored what we said gracefully...

So, to avoid even more unpleasant situations (for example user have IE running, starts Safepay, and then Yahoo switches back to original desktop - the customer will yell to us that the program dissapeared when in fact is the other software at fault...) - we had to add this verification in order to ensure a correct execution.

A partner of us contacted Yahoo Japan trying to push them to solve their problem. As of today, I have no other news about it.

We had the option to either a) just announce the user about this incompatibility (what is now), B) block Yahoo toolbar as spyware/malware (could be seen as retaliation...) or c) inject our code into their toolbar and knock off the offending piece of code (which was considered a risk).

So what you see is just a message about the "incompatibility" (IMHO, tamper was the correct word) between Safepay and Yahoo toolbar.

I can ask the management if there is necessary to inject our code in Yahoo toolbar in order to prevent them to switch desktops. Not sure if this will be done soon, since we entered in beta for 2014 and there's little time for adventures like these...

Regards,

Cristian

• Thanks for the response. Hopefully it can be solved. If it can work with Norton and others, then Yahoo should be able to work with Bitdefender.

You can use Safepay as long as there is no Internet Explorer (with Yahoo toolbar installed) running.

The story is this.

Safepay creates a secure desktop and runs inside it. Y! toolbar switches back to the default (original) desktop WITHOUT ASKING USER.

Yahoo toolbar thinks is more important than other software and switches back the user to present some coupons and other commercial "features".

We have contacted Yahoo and described the problem about 3-4 months ago, I think - needless to say, they ignored what we said gracefully...

So, to avoid even more unpleasant situations (for example user have IE running, starts Safepay, and then Yahoo switches back to original desktop - the customer will yell to us that the program dissapeared when in fact is the other software at fault...) - we had to add this verification in order to ensure a correct execution.

A partner of us contacted Yahoo Japan trying to push them to solve their problem. As of today, I have no other news about it.

We had the option to either a) just announce the user about this incompatibility (what is now), B) block Yahoo toolbar as spyware/malware (could be seen as retaliation...) or c) inject our code into their toolbar and knock off the offending piece of code (which was considered a risk).

So what you see is just a message about the "incompatibility" (IMHO, tamper was the correct word) between Safepay and Yahoo toolbar.

I can ask the management if there is necessary to inject our code in Yahoo toolbar in order to prevent them to switch desktops. Not sure if this will be done soon, since we entered in beta for 2014 and there's little time for adventures like these...

Regards,

Cristian

• camarie
    camarie Principal Software Developer BD Staff
    Options
    Thanks for the response. Hopefully it can be solved. If it can work with Norton and others, then Yahoo should be able to work with Bitdefender.

I don't know if Norton creates and use a separate desktop. If it does not, then Y! toolbar does not affect them.

I believe Avast have a separate desktop for a feature and they are affected as well.

The simplest way - and I tested with it - is to install Desktops from www.sysinternals.com and just switch to another desktop while Internet Explorer with Yahoo toolbar is running. After a short period (varies between 2 and 20 seconds, probably depending on how quick a new data is requested from Yahoo servers) the toolbar switch back to original desktop.

User simply does not touch anything and desktop suddenly changes.

IMHO, this is unacceptable - user *must* perform an action in order to change desktops.

Regards,

Cristian