Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

System Crash, Hard Drive Filling, And Dead Slow Scan.

Options
mr.matt
edited April 2013 in Antivirus

Hello,

I'm running:

Bitdefender Total Security 2013

Windows 7 64 bit

No other antivirus/malware/spyware utilities installed or running.

Is there a known issue that Bitdefender is unable to support and scan systems that have large storage arrays with several million files to scan(both large and small file sizes of all types)?

Upon installing Total Security 2013, fully updating it, and choosing all my settings I set it to do a full system scan just to test out the software. I leave Bitdefender and the computer to do its thing as I can see fairly quickly this makes the computer unusable during a full system scan. I check back after about 2 hours and the drive where Windows and Bitdefender are installed has completely filled up (Bitdefender has eaten the spare 50GB I had on it). At this point I just leave to do errands while my computer has crawled to a halt to wait while Bitdefender attempts to finish scanning. Upon returning several hours later I see Windows7 has recovered from crashing (I don't know when the last time it has crashed, if ever on this system). I went to the Bitdefender log locations but none existed for this scan.

My computer never recovered 45 GB of the free storage, that is all used up from Bitdefender somewhere. I have no idea at the moment where to look for I've not searched enough of these forums to see where it puts all the temporary files.

So again is this a known issue, complete and excessive hard drive filling, slow scan, and eventual system crash due to too many files (large and small)? And where are the temporary files stored so that I can manually clear them out?

Thank you for your time!

Comments

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭
    Options

Hello mr.matt,

To further investigate this case, please post here a support tool log:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=29927

If the file is too big to attach it, upload it on

http://www.sendspace.com

or

http://www.mediafire.com

and post the download link.

If you were already asked to generate the log file, disregard the above message and just post the ticket ID.

Have a nice day!

• mr.matt
    edited April 2013
    Options

Hey Georgia,

Upon further testing my system has not crashed again but the main hard drive usage in terms of activity is horrendous. The scan crawls to a dead slow pace while maxing out the drive activity and any attempt to pause, stop, cancel the scans after a certain point are futile. I have re-installed the product to no avail. The scan works fine if I do a basic quick scan or scan just the main hard drive but a full deep system scan causes these horrendous drive activity and the program to stop responding to user requests. Another user, Dorian101, seems to have the same basic fault that I am experiencing.

As far as the Support Tool log, it seems to be pulling more information that I am comfortable with submitting so I will not be submitting one at the moment. If I have time I'll setup a new hard drive with a clean install of windows7 and bitdefender testing to see if this behavior is your software or conflicts with something on my system submitting a support tool log on that system.

Again my problem is identical to Dorian101's new thread so I am not alone.

• mr.matt
    edited April 2013
    Options

No official reply in this or Dorian101's thread yet..

What is up with the excessive hard drive activity of Bitdefender? It abuses the hard drive and will result in much faster failure of the drive. Is this a thing that is being worked on or is this how the company wants the product to operate?

~Excessive hard drive activity

~Fills up hard drive, bringing system and the scanner itself to a halt of unacceptable speed

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭
    edited April 2013
    Options

Hello again mr.matt,

Without a support tool log I would have to guess what is causing the heavy slowdown.

This diagnostic tool only gathers information like active processes, services, drivers, registry entries, installed programs, etc. No personal information is included in the report. I feel the need to assure you that the information we receive from our customers is treated with absolute confidentiality and is used for the sole purpose of solving the issue reported with their Bitdefender software.

• drdizon
    edited April 2013
    Options

I deeply regret buying this product, I scan this external HDD before using free antivirus software and it only takes a few hours (7-8) but this is unacceptable!! 58 hours and counting!??? Talk about turtle slow, I regret spending almost 2k USD for this very slow product which when scanning makes my pc run to a crawl

post-140628-1366266503_thumb.jpg

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭
    Options

Hello,

Did you manage to follow the steps from this post?

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?sho...st&p=182966

Please post there the required log so I can help you with this. I will also need to know the size of that external HDD.

Thank you!

This discussion has been closed.