Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Freemium Paper Balls

Options

I cant seem to chase it down and dont know if it is something bitdefender cant see. I am running windows Vista and bitdefender 2012 Total Security. At log on and many restarts a pop up comes on the desktop telling me there is an upgrade from Freemium for Paper balls. Problem is I dont have "Paper balls" on my computer and never have. In the toolbar at the bottom of the desktop it says that a "software updater" is running but I checked tasks and nothing is there. I have been working on it for days and have just run a full system scan.

Has anyone seen or heard of Malware, virus or adware That creates a pop up "NOT" in internet browser that comes from Freemium and says there is an upgrade for Paper balls?

Alex

Comments

• Boriqua
    edited December 2013
    Options
    I cant seem to chase it down and dont know if it is something bitdefender cant see. I am running windows Vista and bitdefender 2012 Total Security. At log on and many restarts a pop up comes on the desktop telling me there is an upgrade from Freemium for Paper balls. Problem is I dont have "Paper balls" on my computer and never have. In the toolbar at the bottom of the desktop it says that a "software updater" is running but I checked tasks and nothing is there. I have been working on it for days and have just run a full system scan.

Has anyone seen or heard of Malware, virus or adware That creates a pop up "NOT" in internet browser that comes from Freemium and says there is an upgrade for Paper balls?

Alex

Here is what I am seeing.

post-33428-1387934728_thumb.jpg

• Im getting the same thing...looks like malware that has a few of us in the beginning to middle of December 2013. Any solutions on how to get rid of it?

• It is a "PUP" , you probably downloaded this with " free" software or a toolbar.

Always triple check anything you add to your machine, look for hidden crapware before installing.

This annoyance is known and can be removed using Malwarebytes.

• whew ... I thought I was nuts. Almost became nuts it took me HOURS to figure that out. I deinstalled a dozen programs, I went through the registry for any cling ons, Ran registry cleaner from Bidefender, used super anti spyware after putting the computer in safe mode. I chased down a folder in appdata/ roaming that had been recently installed and not by me. The icon was the same as what was appearing in my task bar. I deleted the whole folder. Didnt seem to change anything so I am pretty sure it was not placed there by the system. The date for creation of the folder was recent. Ran malewarebytes and it found a few items but I think I had somehow gotten rid of it before hand. Check that Appdata folder.

Alex

• I cant seem to chase it down and dont know if it is something bitdefender cant see. I am running windows Vista and bitdefender 2012 Total Security. At log on and many restarts a pop up comes on the desktop telling me there is an upgrade from Freemium for Paper balls. Problem is I dont have "Paper balls" on my computer and never have. In the toolbar at the bottom of the desktop it says that a "software updater" is running but I checked tasks and nothing is there. I have been working on it for days and have just run a full system scan.

Alex

I had the same thing too for the past couple of weeks and I've been searching files, registry, malwarebytes, etc. I think I finally found the solution tonight. Go to c:\Program Files (x86)\Softwareupdater and delete the folder, that is what the file is named in the taskbar. I've seen this on other forums today as well.

Hopefully this helps someone else,

Adrean

• Will this get included in Bitdefender at some point?

Doesn't BD clean up malaware as well? Why should we have to depend on MalawareBytes to do this?

• Captain Obvious
    Options
    Will this get included in Bitdefender at some point?

Doesn't BD clean up malaware as well? Why should we have to depend on MalawareBytes to do this?

You shouldn't. If anyone has this, they should email it to customer support, telling them all about it. That way, they can add it to the definitions (if it hasn't been added already).