Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Autoscan Starts Up During System Scan

Options

I'm running on a Toshiba laptop (plugged in). I've manually started a System Scan from the 'Scan Now' menu. It runs fine for a while and then I notice the 'Autoscan' message pops up and the laptop goes into full meltdown mode, fans screaming and things getting very hot. Is it supposed to do this? Doesn't Autoscan detect a scan already running?

Comments

• Captain Obvious
    Options
    I'm running on a Toshiba laptop (plugged in). I've manually started a System Scan from the 'Scan Now' menu. It runs fine for a while and then I notice the 'Autoscan' message pops up and the laptop goes into full meltdown mode, fans screaming and things getting very hot. Is it supposed to do this? Doesn't Autoscan detect a scan already running?

Not normally. I personally have never had this problem, and I have a lot of files to scan (a Full Scan takes approximately 1 and 1/2 hours). But as far as the 'Autoscan' happening during a System Scan, there are only two instances that I could think of this happening.

1. You plugged in a USB drive or other removable hardware.

Whenever you plug in a USB drive, insert a CD, or connect some other form of removable hardware; Bitdefender is set to scan them automatically. So if you are running a System Scan, and then you decide to plug in a piece of removable hardware or insert a CD, you are going to trigger an Autoscan.

2. You have a scan scheduled at the same time you are manually doing a scan.

Now, this is just a guess. I can't say this will happen for sure, but maybe, if you have a scan scheduled the same time you also manually do a scan, you will get two scans running at once. But I've never tried this, so I'm not exactly sure if that is correct.

Let me know if I helped. :)

• Not normally. I personally have never had this problem, and I have a lot of files to scan (a Full Scan takes approximately 1 and 1/2 hours). But as far as the 'Autoscan' happening during a System Scan, there are only two instances that I could think of this happening.

1. You plugged in a USB drive or other removable hardware.

Whenever you plug in a USB drive, insert a CD, or connect some other form of removable hardware; Bitdefender is set to scan them automatically. So if you are running a System Scan, and then you decide to plug in a piece of removable hardware or insert a CD, you are going to trigger an Autoscan.

2. You have a scan scheduled at the same time you are manually doing a scan.

Now, this is just a guess. I can't say this will happen for sure, but maybe, if you have a scan scheduled the same time you also manually do a scan, you will get two scans running at once. But I've never tried this, so I'm not exactly sure if that is correct.

Let me know if I helped. :)

Yea, neither of those really applied in my case. It's my development laptop so it takes a good 5 hours to do a full scan so I start it up Sunday morning and let it run. I have no scheduled scans on it. I do have an eSATA drive attached but it was live from boot, wasn't plugged in during a scan. Eventually I just paused my scan and shut off the autoscan and restarted the manual scan. It then ran fine to completion. Maybe just one of those things...

But thanks for the input!

• Captain Obvious
    Options
    Yea, neither of those really applied in my case. It's my development laptop so it takes a good 5 hours to do a full scan so I start it up Sunday morning and let it run. I have no scheduled scans on it. I do have an eSATA drive attached but it was live from boot, wasn't plugged in during a scan. Eventually I just paused my scan and shut off the autoscan and restarted the manual scan. It then ran fine to completion. Maybe just one of those things...

But thanks for the input!

No problem. If you need anymore help, feel free to repost. :)